[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

5 hours ago, Philaphlous said:

Installed MechJeb2 on the latest 1.3.1 build and it isn't loading...not sure what's up with the logs but it hasn't worked...

Let me know if this link works to the output.txt file!

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvCUgsssl6rYzFZ2Yu8f0bJXUOo-

It seems to be installed properly. Did you put the AR202 part on your ship ?

29 minutes ago, obrien979 said:

Being a complete NOOB here asking this, but how did you limit your speed limit and used your main engines "to go to the 'correct side' of the vessel?

I'm not 100% sure here, but I am guessing (because it's what I do) that he means he did it manually. Basically manually maneuver to the correct side of the ship (SLOWLY) then engage docking autopilot.

6 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I'm not 100% sure here, but I am guessing (because it's what I do) that he means he did it manually. Basically manually maneuver to the correct side of the ship (SLOWLY) then engage docking autopilot.

Hi @obrien979

Like what @TheKurgan said ="> I manually go to the correct side of the vessel (using my main engine) where I'm going to dock in respect to the orientation the target vessel's docking port. I then generally cancel out my motion by burning/firing my engines towards the opposite direction which is done when am around 100  meters from the target. I then engage the docking autopilot where I set the "speed limit" to 0.5 m/s. This takes awhile to finish, especially with big ships and because of the problem you mentioned before I always have extra monoprop =D

Regards =)

So is the latest version of MechJeb buggy?  I had Dev build 2.6.1-773 installed and everything worked fine.  But I installed 2.7.0 via CKAN and now I keep getting weird bugs.  The deltaV bug is the worst.  Sometimes the deltaV will be way higher than it should be.....like 1.5 -> 11.5.  The landing guidance is back to landing in the wrong spot and the accent guidance is now bugging out too.  Is this the proper thread to report these in or is there a support thread for this mod somewhere?

11 hours ago, sarbian said:

@sarbian I think I may be having the same issue...

I'll try to be a bit more clear on my issue.

There is no MJ icon on the spacecenter view and the MJ parts do not show up at all in the VAB/SPH.  I did this on a clean install with MJ as the only mod.  Installed both with CKAN and manually, same result.  No MJ, no MJ parts.  Log showed MJ loading, no errors.  No joy with 2.6.  Also tried a couple of 2.6-xxx dev versions as well, same result.  Also tried both 64 and 32 bit just to see, still no MJ.  I'm on Windows 10 if that matters.

I then installed a couple of other mods (just to make sure I hadn't suddenly forgotten how to mod KSP :D ) like DMagic and TAC-LS.  They worked fine, parts in the VAB/SPH, icons and settings available for the mods where appropriate, but still no MJ.

Weird/interesting/maybe important note: I started a career game, and the AR202 was right where it should be in the tech tree.  I cheated in some tech and funds and got the AR202 in the tech tree.  But again, in the VAB, no AR202... strange.

No log, no help link: https://filebin.ca/3o8vPsQuFmn1/output_log.txt    I'll say in advance though that I don't see anything in the log file giving me any hint as to the issue.  I've done my fair share of modding and tried all the dumb stuff (reinstalling ksp, turning off AV, etc) already.  Wouldn't bother you, but I'm really at a loss on this one.

As always thank you for all your mods, but especially MJ, MM and the albeit short lived GrumpyCollector :)

PS. I said a couple times that there is no MJ icon because iirc there is one in the spacecenter view and the VAB but I really haven't played much since 1.1.2 so perhaps my recollection is incorrect.

I have no idea. Your log looks fine and the mod seems to be properly installed. 

Can you try with this CommandPod.cfg in GameData and ModuleManager installed ? Also try to clean your MJ config in GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\PluginData\MechJeb2 (delete or move the files). 

The menu header should show up just next to the "new" button in the Editor.

After I wrote my post I wiped out the entire installation of KSP told it to download again on Steam and went to bed. :)

Guess what?  Now it magically works...  So I guess we will chalk this up to "user error" lol.

On a more serious note, one other issue I had was CKAN crashing which I think has to do with the spacedock.info certificate expiring.  I can't download from spacedock without changing my system date.  I'm wondering if that caused my issues.  I don't know if/how that would affect MJ - but in any case I've downloaded all the mods direct myself, reinstalled everything manually and now it works (with or without the patch provided). 

So, @sarbian thanks and sorry for the time waste.  To anyone else with this issue, I personally am going to skip using ckan until spacedock resolves thier certificate issue.  I'm not positive that's the issue but skipping ckan seems to work for the time being.

----

Updated info:

Reinstalled CKAN and downloaded different mods.  As soon as CKAN gets to a mod that comes from spacedock it crashes.  Installed the mods that did download.  The mod that was downloaded *immediately before* the one from spacedock does not work... 

Edited by Tig
Updated info

22 hours ago, sarbian said:

Fail... Must have had a previous version of mj2 that allowed me to use any SAS module as mechjeb compatible...supposedly there's a part code I need to use if I want to keep that same method? I figured it out and got it working again! Thanks for the assistance! 

1 hour ago, Philaphlous said:

Fail... Must have had a previous version of mj2 that allowed me to use any SAS module as mechjeb compatible...supposedly there's a part code I need to use if I want to keep that same method? I figured it out and got it working again! Thanks for the assistance! 

There's a MechJeb for all mod that puts MechJeb capability on capsules and cores.

Good morning guys,

as mentioned above, even the new update seems to have major problems. In my case, the landing and maneuver modules. 

I hope that there will be fix soon. On the the other hand, has someone any experience of the previous 2.6.9 working with 1.3.1?

Best regards and thanks for ur work 

Output Log

Using MJ 2.7.0 but true of at least last previous dev version.

Unmanned probe creates circularize node then stops responding and slowly spins. Still has electric charge. I can disengage MJ and engage SAS and do burn myself. Playing in sandbox and there is antenna connection.

Edit: tested with all mods removed except mj, mm, and mj embedded 

Edited by Red Shirt

24 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Unmanned probe creates circularize node then stops responding and slowly spins. Still has electric charge. I can disengage MJ and engage SAS and do burn myself. Playing in sandbox and there is antenna connection.

Nothing shocking in the log. I see 2 exception related to MJ. The first one I already fixed here and happens only in the VAB and does not impact anything. The second one I can not duplicate but should be harmless.

Can you try to purge (save them before) the MJ config files in GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\PluginData\MechJeb2  and start clean ?

Having trouble with mechjeb rover again. It won't engage brakes at certain inclines, I believe it thinks fewer wheels are touching the ground then actually are and it is below the Traction Brake Limit which I can't seem to change below 75%.

OEVHJnE.png

Update: I was able to fix the problem by editing the .cfg file in \MechJeb2\Plugins\PluginData\MechJeb2, I think the problem was that it had the same name as its orbiter, so I gave the rover another name. I still can't change the setting in the GUI though, only by manually editing the file and only while KSP is off. 

Edited by RuBisCO
Update: fixed problem, sort of.

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Can you try to purge (save them before) the MJ config files

Done. No affect. Tried using stock Kerbal X - worked fine. May be limited to unmanned probes. I tried making the craft a little bigger but still goes dead and spins. It says I have 100% signal and probe control. As mentioned this is in sandbox.

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

I just tested it and it works for me. Could you share the vessel you used to test ?

I can but am trying some things on my end first. Seems that if I add a small inline reaction wheel it will work with MJ. If I don't add it MJ won't complete maneuver but I can orient the craft by hand which to me means it should work.  

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

I can but am trying some things on my end first. Seems that if I add a small inline reaction wheel it will work with MJ. If I don't add it MJ won't complete maneuver but I can orient the craft by hand which to me means it should work.  

It isn't the warp issue where pressing '.' forces timewarp to start and then the node executor runs normally? (it sounds like its not).

And when the craft is spinning are the pitch/roll/yaw GUI outputs showing them centered or moving (i.e. is mechjeb issuing attitude control commands at all and there's insufficient torque, or is mechjeb just not issuing attitude control commands?).

This is probably one of those picture-or-video-is-worth-a-thousand-words kinds of issues, because i can't picture what you're seeing at all.

20 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

It isn't the warp issue where pressing '.' forces timewarp to start and then the node executor runs normally? (it sounds like its not).

And when the craft is spinning are the pitch/roll/yaw GUI outputs showing them centered or moving (i.e. is mechjeb issuing attitude control commands at all and there's insufficient torque, or is mechjeb just not issuing attitude control commands?).

This is probably one of those picture-or-video-is-worth-a-thousand-words kinds of issues, because i can't picture what you're seeing at all.

Hitting warp doesn't apply as mj is already auto warping at 2x at this point in atmosphere and faster in space - moving from burning to Ap and circularizing. 

pitch/yaw/roll stay centered while spinning. 

This is a very simple craft using an octo2 probe, battery, 3 Oscar B's, and a Spark (and nosecone). Add an inline reaction wheel and it works. The Octo2 has limited SAS. Maybe this tiny craft is pointing out the probe limitations that have always been there but my much bigger craft have compensated for? I've probably never built without SAS or RCS using this probe.  

--------------------

Edit: Once again I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot. Reaction Wheels were removed from the Octo2 way back in 0.90. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

------------------------

Edit 2, just for the record: The reason I was able to control the craft manually was because I was using engine gimbal without realizing what I was doing. Lesson learned before complaining MJ is broke make sure you have eliminated your own mistakes first.

Edited by Red Shirt

11 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Hitting warp doesn't apply as mj is already auto warping at 2x at this point in atmosphere and faster in space - moving from burning to Ap and circularizing. 

pitch/yaw/roll stay centered while spinning. 

This is a very simple craft using an octo2 probe, battery, 3 Oscar B's, and a Spark (and nosecone). Add an inline reaction wheel and it works. The Octo2 has limited SAS. Maybe this tiny craft is pointing out the probe limitations that have always been there but my much bigger craft have compensated for? I've probably never built without SAS or RCS using this probe.  

If there's enough SAS to do it by hand, though, then MJ should be fine.  And you should see MJ attempting to use the controls.  I'd say something was wrong with the state machine (like you were trying to circularize inside of the atmosphere or something which could confuse the state machine and prevent the node executor from kicking in for the circ burn) but adding a RW wouldn't fix that.

3 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

Anybody know which version of MechJeb or KSP broke the auto-docking? because it's kinda critcal to missions i have planned, and docking stuff parallel manually is too much work for the time i have

Ksp 1.3.0 broke it

But last night i used the last MJ version in ksp1.3.1 on 6 docking

All of them worked

The only problem was docking 2 >400 parts ships whit limited rcs

The fix was limiting docking max speed to 0.1