[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Is it just me or are the links for the Manual broken? 

In the meantime what do the "Kp", ï" and "d"  mean in the Aircraft autopilot, and how do I make the hold Altitude less aggressive?

Thank you for any help in advance.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:31 PM, Mokmo said:

So i set my rcs not to do rotation and it seems that as soon as i autoland it resets that ? As in i have to right-click every. single. rcs. thruster. on the ship and show actuation toggles to then untick yaw, pitch and roll. 

I don't get what the changes were meant to do. Someone care to explain ? 

That's the fault of so-called Smart RCS which tampers with actuation settings and its functions are not optional.

If it's set to using RCS for rotation then every single RCS part is set to allow all rotations even if they were user-disabled.

If it's set to not use RCS for rotation then all RCS parts are changed to disable all rotations.

Just as a matter of curiosity, any hint as to what the name "Anatid" refers to? The only thing I can find in a quick Google search is basically "duck". That's certainly plausible as KSP humor, but I wonder if I missed something else.

1 hour ago, rmaine said:

Just as a matter of curiosity, any hint as to what the name "Anatid" refers to? The only thing I can find in a quick Google search is basically "duck". That's certainly plausible as KSP humor, but I wonder if I missed something else.

You have touched upon a matter of Secret Knowledge. Much as the masons do not divulge the inner truths of their organisation until a Mason reaches 33rd degree, it must be politely insisted that you attain a much loftier member rank before such Higher Truths are revealed to you.

6 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Are there any good (up to date) tutorials around using Mechjeb to get to Duna? I'm decently proficient getting to the Mun and Minmus using Mechjeb but anything further than that eludes me.

What, exactly, are you not getting?  The MechJeb features that assist in a planetary transfer?

5 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Me feels kinda dumb right now as I haven't even tried that planetary transfer option yet. Jeez, if I click on it and end up at Duna, I'm going to be tripped out and feeling a bit stupid. lol

Biggest problem I tend to run into (so to speak) is the Mun. It tends to get in the way and I then have to fiddle to avoid it.

1 hour ago, rmaine said:

Biggest problem I tend to run into (so to speak) is the Mun. It tends to get in the way and I then have to fiddle to avoid it.

Yup, the Mun is a pain.  Last I knew at least MechJeb does not handle it well at all.  Check your path before the engine lights, make sure it's clear of the Mun's SOI.  Note that you can have an improper shutdown of the burn if the trajectory temporarily passes through the Mun's SOI.  If this happens simply manually burn prograde and watch the trajectory plot, you'll generally get a reasonable intercept, although not quite as clean as if MechJeb had done it.

13 hours ago, Toranks said:

Sometimes maneuver planner doesn't burn engines, why?

If you have Real Fuels (and possibly also Realism Overhaul or certain other RF engine packs) installed then your tanks might need ullage management. (i.e. use RCS or ullage motors to settle the tanks)

If you do have RF installed you will know if your engines cannot be stably ignited because their staging icons will be yellow (risky) or red (completely unstable). MJ detects those mods and will wait until the engines are stable before firing. This behavior is configured under Utilities and there is also an option there for MJ to automagically use RCS to settle the tanks, IF RCS is enabled.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:54 PM, Loren Pechtel said:

Yup, the Mun is a pain.  Last I knew at least MechJeb does not handle it well at all.  Check your path before the engine lights, make sure it's clear of the Mun's SOI.  Note that you can have an improper shutdown of the burn if the trajectory temporarily passes through the Mun's SOI.  If this happens simply manually burn prograde and watch the trajectory plot, you'll generally get a reasonable intercept, although not quite as clean as if MechJeb had done it.

Or, you use the Mun's SOI for a boost and save some DV....

I know this is off track a bit but has anyone flew (and have craft files) of a realistic space shuttle flight that Mechjeb can fly? Every one I've tried to date has failed miserably. Mechjeb (or Mechjeb and this game) doesn't seem to know what to do with it. I can't even get one to orbit. I've flown quite a few different rocket designs with Mechjeb successfully but the space shuttle is not one of them.

I ve got one that flew perfectly with mechjeb up to 20 tons of payload with boosters even one with liquid boosters that can carry 40 tons.

The key point is that you need to have the engine thrust perfectly alinged through your center of mass in every part of the flight.

I am a little bit down atm cause mechjeb is not working in the 1.44 with lmp anymore... (mechjeb alone works perfectly, lmp also, having both installed and the game crashes when you try to start a rocket)

Edited by Nightmare

Well I took the plunge and let Steam update the game to 1.4.4. Man I regret it bad. During my first launch of one of my crafts, I noticed something no good very shortly. The total sound of the rockets seemed a little "thin" from the start so I was sitting there thinking maybe it was me. Then when the boosters separated, the sound of the sepratons grated my ears to no end. I said what the bleep is this? I let it go through the next set of separations and same damn thing. Then when I got to orbit, there was that same awful sound from the RCS thrusters. My god man, I can't stand this. What was Take Two thinking  putting these terrible sounds in this game? Sure glad I saved a copy of 1.4.3 as I can't play this one with these sounds. It's like grating on a chalk board to me. To this day I have a hard time forgiving Take Two for changing the RCS plume affects from 1.3.1. Now they do this.

Edited by MikeO89

Hello,

I have a problem with Mechjeb and it's skins.

I would like Mechjeb to match all my other mod windows (KAC, ARP, [x] Science, etc.) but for some reason the Mechjeb 1 GUI skin is broken and throws an error when I click on it.
Error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AssetBase.GetGUISkin (System.String skinName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.GuiUtils.LoadSkin (SkinType skinType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleSettings.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.DisplayModule.ProfiledWindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Running 2.7.0.0 on 1.3.1. I also tried using 2.6.1.0 but the same error happened. Log link

If anyone could shed some light on why it's not working and/or tell me a fix, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, TheAnonymous said:

Hi, any ideas why maneuver planner and several other features aren't showing up in career mode? In sandbox they're all there but when I play in career even when I unlocked all of the nodes it's not showing.

The buildings must be upgraded, and there are multiple parts throughout the tech tree which enable various features (even though you said you have, Check again, you might have to then purchase the part) 

On 6/24/2018 at 4:59 AM, NeonDrip said:

Is it just me or are the links for the Manual broken? 

In the meantime what do the "Kp", ï" and "d"  mean in the Aircraft autopilot, and how do I make the hold Altitude less aggressive?

Thank you for any help in advance.

yeah same here, i can't find it at all, seems like the whole   http://wiki.mechjeb.com/ is ded

I think I remember node burn being split into prior and after. Say node is 10m in the future. Burn duration of 4m. Burn would start at 8m and continue until 12m. Now all I seem to get is burn at node, no matter how long burn duration is. Has something changed? Can I do something to get this behaviour back?

4 hours ago, Apaseall said:

I think I remember node burn being split into prior and after. Say node is 10m in the future. Burn duration of 4m. Burn would start at 8m and continue until 12m. Now all I seem to get is burn at node, no matter how long burn duration is. Has something changed? Can I do something to get this behaviour back?

That sounds like MJ being unable to calculate thrust or deltaV. If it cant determine those then it has to default to starting at node