[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

15 hours ago, Chimichanga said:

Hi @sarbian Ascent Guidance's "launch into plane of target" appears to be broken again.

Tested with a new install of KSP 1.6.1 w/Making History:  There are no other mods in use except MJ dev-#858 and ModuleManager. 4.0.1.

Clicking "launch into plane of target" no longer modifies the inclination in the Ascent Guidance window, and no longer gives me accurate timed launches.  Thank you for all of your hard work - I can't enjoy KSP without MJ!

can confirm exactly this behaviour despite its prolly irrellevant due to tons of other mods i run. but reading this i can defo claim that one on MJ. which doesnt reduce my respect and worshipment for the work you guys put into it. using MJ since before ksp .90 i think, THANK YOU!

On 1/27/2019 at 12:54 PM, Chimichanga said:

Hi @sarbian Ascent Guidance's "launch into plane of target" appears to be broken again.

Tested with a new install of KSP 1.6.1 w/Making History:  There are no other mods in use except MJ dev-#858 and ModuleManager. 4.0.1.

Clicking "launch into plane of target" no longer modifies the inclination in the Ascent Guidance window, and no longer gives me accurate timed launches.  Thank you for all of your hard work - I can't enjoy KSP without MJ!

I also experianced the same issue with 858 and MM 4.0.1 ... i can try to drop back to 857, or so, and keep mm at 4.0.1 , or other combinations if that would help any one.

1 minute ago, MikeO89 said:

oh ok then. I guess I'll just drift in space until then. My wife says that's what I'm doing all the time anyway.

Of course, I could be entirely mistaken but I think the meaning of the reply is that it's already taken care of, and you should not be getting any message about incompatible with 1.6.1

Personally, I am using MJ Dev 858 and KSP 1.6.1.2401 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us and I'm not getting any compatibility messages.

You can always get the latest dev version at - https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/

2 hours ago, Fyrem said:

I also experianced the same issue with 858 and MM 4.0.1 ... i can try to drop back to 857, or so, and keep mm at 4.0.1 , or other combinations if that would help any one.

#857 is no joy, but it was definitely working before but I can't figure out which version.  Might be best to try #849:

1. fix "launch to plane" again again (commit: 615dcaa) — lamont / githubweb

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/849/

2 hours ago, Fyrem said:

If #849 doesn't work, I'd drop back to #838. #839 had a big rewrite of the ascent guidance.

3 hours ago, El Sancho said:

Of course, I could be entirely mistaken but I think the meaning of the reply is that it's already taken care of, and you should not be getting any message about incompatible with 1.6.1

Personally, I am using MJ Dev 858 and KSP 1.6.1.2401 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us and I'm not getting any compatibility messages.

You can always get the latest dev version at - https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/

I was referring to the official 2.8.1 version, not a dev version. Never tried Dev versions. I'll give it a try.

Edited by MikeO89

3 hours ago, El Sancho said:

And if you're using CKAN, add the MechJeb DEV repository: click Settings, then CKAN Settings, then at the top of the Settings window in Metadata Repositories click New, click on MechJeb2-dev line, click Okay, close the Settings window, then use Refresh to add "MechJeb 2 - DEV RELEASE" with its available versions.

Edited by Jacke

@Chimichanga @Player1 @Fyrem  I went back to before Christmas and couldn't find a version that worked for Launch to Plane of Target. What I got to work was to use Launch to Rendezvous with a phase angle set to zero. It worked for me to launch from Kerbin into a 62 degree plane matched with my target.

very strange, it was working before my upgrade to 858, and i know i wasn't that far behind on revisions.   anyway, looks like it is a real bug, easily repoducable, and effectivly Global in scope.

Edited by Fyrem
something went wrong with quoting...

@Chimichanga @Player1 @Fyrem  I jumped the gun. Somehow it worked when I tested Launch to Rendezvous this afternoon in place of Launch to Plane of Target. Now it's launching late to the same target, so the phase angle is factoring in to the timing more than I thought it would.

Edited by Tonka Crash

12 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Chimichanga @Player1 @Fyrem  I jumped the gun. Somehow it worked when I tested Launch to Rendezvous this afternoon in place of Launch to Plane. Now it's launching late to the same target, so the phase angle is factoring in to the timing more than I thought it would.

So, in practical terms, if I'm launching from Kerbin to Minmus, it's still best to launch with "Orbit inc." at zero degrees and just resign myself to expending the ~230 dV to match planes?

That's what I've always done, because I've never been able to get the fancier functions to work.

Just now, El Sancho said:

So, in practical terms, if I'm launching from Kerbin to Minmus, it's still best to launch with "Orbit inc." at zero degrees and just resign myself to expending the ~230 dV to match planes?

That's what I've always done, because I've never been able to get the fancier functions to work.

You can get close to launching into the plane of the target just by waiting for the orbit of the target to be over your launch site. Go to map mode and timewarp until your launch site is aligned with target's orbit. This is also the only case where I routinely use launch clamps, so my rocket doesn't run out of power on the pad waiting for an alignment.

The big thing the launch into plane of target did for me was take the guess work out of the timing and automate a tedious step. And it could be quite tedious: Send your rocket to the pad, figure out which site is closest to a launch window, revert to the VAB and launch at the right site, timewarp, revert after overshooting the alignment, then launch, revert to fix staging ... 

I just started playing with a planet pack that puts Mun at a 62° inclined orbit, so matching planes in orbit is too expensive for my early game. I've only done a handful of missions to the moon so far and I'm usually within a degree of matched doing it by hand.

I'm asking for help if anyone has run into this before. I'm using Snarkiverse planet pack that puts Dres (with Minmus orbit Dres) in an orbit such that Dres is almost sharing Kerbin's orbit. It's never more than a few days away.

I've done a couple missions to Dres and Minmus plotting maneuvers by hand, but this gets old real quick (to me). I'd like to automate it, but I can't figure out a mode for MechJeb to plot a transfer maneuver. The planetary transfer modes fail and I don't know how to troubleshoot them.

35 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm asking for help if anyone has run into this before. I'm using Snarkiverse planet pack that puts Dres (with Minmus orbit Dres) in an orbit such that Dres is almost sharing Kerbin's orbit. It's never more than a few days away.

I've done a couple missions to Dres and Minmus plotting maneuvers by hand, but this gets old real quick (to me). I'd like to automate it, but I can't figure out a mode for MechJeb to plot a transfer maneuver. The planetary transfer modes fail and I don't know how to troubleshoot them.

I think it would be best to think about the transfer between Kerbin and Dres in Snarkiverse as more like what is done to do rendezvous.

1.  Build up a vector towards the target, Dres
2.  Do a course correction to minimize the closest approach to Dres
3.  Upon getting close to Dres, kill the relative velocity.

Certainly in doing rendezvous, you can use MechJeb's Maneuver Planner to do #2 and #3.  It's more complex with Kerbin to Dres, because of the need to escape Kerbin's SoI and enter Dres' SoI and go into orbit.

However, I suggest you just try using the Maneuver Planner with Dres as a target for a spacecraft in Kerbin orbit and try out the setting to minimize the closest approach.  The biggest problem is that the maneuver is the instantaneous dV which almost certainly will take so long a burn it will become inaccurate.  Why needs to be done is take that dV vector and then plan an escape burn that leaves it as the hyperbolic excess velocity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_trajectory

Edited by Jacke

5 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I think it would be best to think about the transfer between Kerbin and Dres in Snarkiverse as more like what is done to do rendezvous.

1.  Build up a vector towards the target, Dres
2.  Do a course correction to minimize the closest approach to Dres
3.  Upon getting close to Dres, kill the relative velocity.

Certainly in doing rendezvous, you can use MechJeb's Maneuver Planner to do #2 and #3.  It's more complex with Kerbin to Dres, because of the need to escape Kerbin's SoI and enter Dres' SoI and go into orbit.

However, I suggest you just try using the Maneuver Planner with Dres as a target for a spacecraft in Kerbin orbit and try out the setting to minimize the closest approach.  The biggest problem is that the maneuver is the instantaneous dV which almost certainly will take so long a burn it will become inaccurate.  Why needs to be done is take that dV vector and then plan an escape burn that leaves it as the hyperbolic excess velocity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_trajectory

I can already manage the transfer manually that's not the problem. Your step 1. is always a manually configured burn. I'm  finding MechJeb uniquely useless is setting this up. MechJebs rendezvous functions cannot function between objects in different SOIs. For example, I can't set Minmus as a target for MechJeb until I'm in Dres' SOI or for Dres until I'm in the sun's SOI.

What I've been doing is set a rough maneuver node from Kerbin orbit that intercepts Dres' SOI. Then use MechJeb's maneuver node editor to fine tune the burn to intercept either Dres or Minmus at the desired altitude for a circularization burn at Pe. It's tweaking the maneuver node that I'm finding excessively tedious. I don't mind this for rare cases like trying to launch from Kerbin orbit into a weird inclined contract specified orbit around a moon, but doing this for every transfer is taking the fun out of it for me. Trying to optimize dV expenditure just adds to the tediousness. It's turning me off this planet pack as I want to send a lot of missions to Dres SOI and I don't want to be spending so much time dicking around with maneuver nodes.

MechJeb2-2.8.2.0.zip for KSP 1.6.x

• Primer Vector Guidance
  • bring back simple coplanar transfer option
  • make the hybrid controller the default controller 
  • Incorporate "MechJebAndEngineerForAll" style functionality
  • adding ∆v display to flight recorder
  • add steering/drag/gravity loss to flight recorder
  • Add Apoapsis and Periapsis to scripting conditions
  • Fixes

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, sarbian said:

MechJeb2-2.8.2.0.zip for KSP 1.6.x

• Primer Vector Guidance
  • bring back simple coplanar transfer option
  • make the hybrid controller the default controller 
  • Incorporate "MechJebAndEngineerForAll" style functionality
  • adding ∆v display to flight recorder
  • add steering/drag/gravity loss to flight recorder
  • Add Apoapsis and Periapsis to scripting conditions
  • Fixes
Spoiler

Question regarding the Bi-impulsive transfer.

How is this supposed to work?  What does the period offset do?

I ask because when I use it to get to the Mun or Minmus it puts me in a trajectory to the bodies but they're impact only.  The other odd thing is that when I use the fine tune closest approach, the resulting approach isn't near the value entered.  Seems to work OK on other planets though.

Thanks for your help!