[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

I agree - Autoland works great for all runways except the one that most space plane folks need the most - KSC 09. Have you tried an Autoland there? 

I also agree this is likely an issue with the coordinates in the stock game for the runway western end. Perhaps recent KSP changes related to the runway have screwed up the coordinates used by MJ to land at that end?

It seems that the HybridController (since dev #732) for Attitude Adjustment is a really good one ... :kiss:

All initial issues with wobbling etc. on Ascent Guidance are gone after I switched to

• Classic Ascent Guidance
  • Automatic Altitude Turn
  • Hybrid Controller (no fiddling with numbers in here, neither)

I'm having an issue with the Warp helper in #789.  I sent a mission up to the mun and hit warp to SOI change, when it got there, the throttle suddenly got stuck at 100% and the all of the controls started going nuts, then I had to shut off the engine manually and then disable mechjeb in the capsule (I have MJ embedded installed) to stop it.  Once I did that and turned it back on the vehicle came back under control, but then I could no longer use timewarp at all.  Either using it through MJ or with the stock controls, it would not change from 1x time.  I am using 1.4 with Making History. 

Here's my Gamedata folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lggfkfgh4y3e4p/GameData313.jpg?dl=0

Did they change where they put the output log, I can't seem to find it anymore.  I'll post that when I do.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Is that normal or a glitch, if when I use launch autopilot and deselect Roll, MJ turns my ship north automatically ?
It's basically ruining my stability and forcing me to struggle, since my shuttle is supposed to head east, and MJ is forcing it to pan sideways on gravity turn (dunno if I make myself clear ?)

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Your actual problem is with GravityTurn, not MechJeb.

ok, that's weird, the issue didn't seem to start until after I used MJ.  I'll try posting in the GT thread.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

trying to set up a geosynchronous orbit above a specific point on Kerbin.  I get to the correct altitude and I am stationary, then I need to move to a point above the specified spot.   I use the maneuver planner option of "Change Surface Longitude of Apsis" and enter the longitude of the desired WP.  I let this execute, and then use maneuver planner to "Circularize - at the next Ap." However...  I am not above the specified WP when this is complete.   Am I doing something wrong? or is this just not working correctly?

Edited by Bit Fiddler

3 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

trying to set up a geosynchronous orbit above a specific point on Kerbin.  I get to the correct altitude and I am stationary, then I need to move to a point above the specified spot.   I use the maneuver planner option of "Change Surface Longitude of Apsis" and enter the longitude of the desired WP.  I let this execute, and then use maneuver planner to "Circularize - at the next Ap." However...  I am not above the specified WP when this is complete.   Am I doing something wrong? or is this just not working correctly?

I had the same problem when trying to complete a contract at Minmus. I used MJ in the same way you did. I ended up doing a resonant orbit and warped until my AP lined up close enough to the target on the surface of Minmus.

6 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Looking at the code I see "Note that this does NOT account for the rotation of the body that will happen between now". Could this be related ? Open an issue on github and I'll have a look when things slow down.

3 hours ago, dlrk said:

Is it possible to add a location (i.e. KSC runway) to the landing guidance dropdown?

Yes. 

Get this file and put it somewhere in GameData. Edit it to add location, the format should be clear. Write your own file if you want to package it in a mod. MJ will load them all.

In the custom windows editor the misc category has a "Lat/Lon/Alt Copy to Clipboard" item you can use to copy in your clipboard your current position.

6 hours ago, sarbian said:

Looking at the code I see "Note that this does NOT account for the rotation of the body that will happen between now". Could this be related ? Open an issue on github and I'll have a look when things slow down.

That sounds like it exactly. Probably no easy solution, but if you could take a look that'd be awesome.

solution is easy...  we know the rotational speed of the planets and moons etc.  so this can be factored into the calculations.  Granted i do not know the formula of the top of my head but i am sure with a little looking this will not be too hard to fix.   With this in mind however i have thought of something else.  why not allow this feature to set longitude, and latitude, and maybe even altitude?  so we could set an exact WP to be our Ap after 1 orbit,  it could come in handy for setting up some of those odd orbits that contracts require.   or an extension of this may be to select the contract orbit in some way, and tell MJ to just match it in the most fuel efficient way.   this would need to be a late tech tree unlock to make it not be so OP.  but it would be nice when grinding out some cash later in the game by doing all those contracts.   it would sure make it easier to complete the mission and collect the money.

LameLefty - Much as I hate to say it, good buddy, I cannot reproduce your problem. If you watch the video, the Autolander brings a stock Gull (w/ MJ box added) right in and greases it onto KSC Runway 09 no problem.

Edited by El Sancho
more complete info

31 minutes ago, El Sancho said:

LameLefty - Much as I hate to say it, good buddy, I cannot reproduce your problem. If you watch the video, the Autolander brings a stock Gull (w/ MJ box added) right in and greases it onto KSC Runway 09 no problem.

That’s very odd. What build of MJ are you using? I encountered the problem in an otherwise nearly-stock new save (only MJ, Module Manager and Docking Port Alignment Indicator) using Builds 788 and 789. I have not yet tried with Build 791. Of course I haven’t yet tried with KSP 1.4.1 either. I’ll do that tonight after work.

2 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

solution is easy...  we know the rotational speed of the planets and moons etc.  so this can be factored into the calculations.  Granted i do not know the formula of the top of my head but i am sure with a little looking this will not be too hard to fix.   With this in mind however i have thought of something else.  why not allow this feature to set longitude, and latitude, and maybe even altitude?  so we could set an exact WP to be our Ap after 1 orbit,  it could come in handy for setting up some of those odd orbits that contracts require.   or an extension of this may be to select the contract orbit in some way, and tell MJ to just match it in the most fuel efficient way.   this would need to be a late tech tree unlock to make it not be so OP.  but it would be nice when grinding out some cash later in the game by doing all those contracts.   it would sure make it easier to complete the mission and collect the money.

Did you open an issue on Github?

edit: Never mind, I see that you did. Thanks.

Edited by leatherneck6017