[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

1 minute ago, Jim DiGriz said:

I am aware of this but I have only used the embedded mod in the past and it is not installed now, and I do not have any of the config files(those mods use by name) in my gamedata dir from this mod or the one you mentioned and I checked all sub folder for anything mechjeb and reviewed all 5 config files(only located in the mechjeb2 folder) so I have no other configs and I don't modify mods/config's. so it my mystery for now and it does work so thanks. 

Dev build #808 with a bugfix to where the hohmann planner would fail to create a node randomly.

Also I probably just made best friends with everyone who puts up satellite constellations since you can now lead/lag a target in its orbit by a given fraction of its period.  So "0.25" to lead 90 degrees in a circular orbit.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/1065

riJevKQ.png

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/808/artifact/MechJeb2-2.7.4.0-808.zip

6 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Dev build #808 with a bugfix to where the hohmann planner would fail to create a node randomly.

Also I probably just made best friends with everyone who puts up satellite constellations since you can now lead/lag a target in its orbit by a given fraction of its period.  So "0.25" to lead 90 degrees in a circular orbit.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/1065

riJevKQ.png

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/808/artifact/MechJeb2-2.7.4.0-808.zip

Jim, the part I don't understand is - how would this work? If you're doing a Hohmann your target is a planet or moon, right? Usually a moon. So how would you target the satellite you want to lead by the 90 degrees?

In your example photo above, you appear to have 4 satellites equally spaced around Kerbin, but how would you do a Hohmann to Kerbin? I mean, from where would you be starting? I'm totally confused by all this...

A Hohmann transfer is simply the process of transferring from one orbit to another, with a specific target. The Hohmann can be carried out between any two orbits that share a common centre and the targets can be any object. So anytime you perform a rendezvous with a craft in orbit, where you're moving from one orbit to the target's, you're performing a Hohmann transfer.

In the case of the satellites that @Jim DiGriz mentioned above, once you have targeted a satellite, I imagine the software then adds a set amount of lead time to the manoeveur to finish at the correct position in the new orbit.

2 hours ago, IntoSpaceAgain said:

A Hohmann transfer is simply the process of transferring from one orbit to another, with a specific target. The Hohmann can be carried out between any two orbits that share a common centre and the targets can be any object. So anytime you perform a rendezvous with a craft in orbit, where you're moving from one orbit to the target's, you're performing a Hohmann transfer.

In the case of the satellites that @Jim DiGriz mentioned above, once you have targeted a satellite, I imagine the software then adds a set amount of lead time to the manoeveur to finish at the correct position in the new orbit.

Wow, that is slicker than cat**** on linoleum! I just did a rescue mission, one waaaaaayyy out there (Ap 7500km, Pe 5700km) and about 35-40 degrees off-plane as well, and only used about 1200 dV doing it from 200km flat Kerbin orbit.

I used the bi-impulsive hoho with the craft to be rescued as my target, and you're right, it's not just moons and planets anymore. Then once that maneuver was complete, I called up the Rendevous Planner and used "match velocities at closest approach". Then a "get closer", another "match velocities" and I was stationary 30 meters from my target. That is so much easier.

Thank you, IntoSpaceAgain, for explaining the crucial point that now Target can be almost anything, and of course a huge thank you to Jim DiGriz for coding this little gem.

4 hours ago, El Sancho said:

Jim, the part I don't understand is - how would this work? If you're doing a Hohmann your target is a planet or moon, right?

Your target is an orbit.  It can be any orbit, even a constructed one.

I've got a task on my task list to extend this to transfer to manually entered orbits (with or without selecting some of the elements to match a target orbit).  That will probably require the ability to drop down the second rendezvous maneuver node as well though, since for an arbitrarily constructed orbit it may not be entirely obvious how to construct the second burn (in the satellite constellation case you just circularize at your target apo and you're done).

6 hours ago, Gouvernathor said:

What is the official download sorce ? Is it https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/ or https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Release/ ?

I alvays thought it was Dev, but the last Dev issues, while being more recent, work less on KSP than the Release version, what the hell ?

Dev is the development version and those version can break at any time

Release is the "official" version and should be somewhat stable. 

On 10/15/2018 at 1:36 AM, Jim DiGriz said:

And just like that there's a build #807

I decided I hated what was going on with that transfer to minmus so cut the default transfer space search size in half back down to what the ideal hohmann transfer time is, and this is the result:

ooAa1Yu.png

That is probably what people want by default.

(the asteroid mission is still goofy, I gotta find a way to make that more sane by default...)

When I saw this feature, I was under the impression, mostly out of ignorance of orbital mechanics and what a 'bi-impulsive transfer' meant, I was thinking it would calculate a Hohmann transfer, and then also add an orbital insertion. I find after creating a Hohmann node, I always have to go tweak it so it doesn't ram me into my destination body, but brings me in say, 50km behind it so I can put myself into a 50km orbit.

I realize adding something like this is likely much more complex than even just pointing the intercept at a given altitude, since you also have to define that altitude and possible even the desired destination inclination. But it would be kinda neat feature to add. SInce you seem good at maths, it should be a nice challenge!

38 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

When I saw this feature, I was under the impression, mostly out of ignorance of orbital mechanics and what a 'bi-impulsive transfer' meant, I was thinking it would calculate a Hohmann transfer, and then also add an orbital insertion. I find after creating a Hohmann node, I always have to go tweak it so it doesn't ram me into my destination body, but brings me in say, 50km behind it so I can put myself into a 50km orbit.

I realize adding something like this is likely much more complex than even just pointing the intercept at a given altitude, since you also have to define that altitude and possible even the desired destination inclination. But it would be kinda neat feature to add. SInce you seem good at maths, it should be a nice challenge!

I tried to do that last night.

The fractional orbital period tunable happened because I realized that doing distance correctly is a bit more difficult than it sounds (its relatively simple in the perfectly circular case, but getting it right in the arbitrary case isn't really a one-night tweak but more like a solid weekend of work).

I have this issue. When I am at a planet like Mun, when taking my craft to orbit, I get this with Mechjeb at Inclination,  changing periapsis, and circularize.

o3B4VDm.png

Burn time is frozen and meter is red. After completing these 3 things, all is good. Dunno if I'm doing something wrong or there is a problem of sorts.

Edited by MikeO89

I have been using mechjeb 2 with no issues for the past few weeks. I have version 2.7.4.0. Now all of the sudden the last two days when I engage aircraft autopilot it will not raise altitude no matter what I try. It will still hold speed and heading. I tried turning autopilot off/on. I also tried unistalling mod/reinstalling. Same thing I am stumped. This really sucks because I use this for looong atmospheric contracts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am still using ksp version 1.4.5

Edited by xnightflyerx

4 hours ago, xnightflyerx said:

I have been using mechjeb 2 with no issues for the past few weeks. I have version 2.7.4.0. Now all of the sudden the last two days when I engage aircraft autopilot it will not raise altitude no matter what I try. It will still hold speed and heading. I tried turning autopilot off/on. I also tried unistalling mod/reinstalling. Same thing I am stumped. This really sucks because I use this for looong atmospheric contracts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am still using ksp version 1.4.5

Did you update anything? Computer update?

Did you place flaps on your plane?

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, Jim DiGriz said:

true that, I did a search and I don't have it in my gamedata folder. that's why I mentioned it. interesting

I even search for the coding within all files. not found.

like I said its a mystery I must have created(again I do not like to tinker with the configs and I don't believe I did). but thanks for the input

Jammer

I'm not sure I understand the difference, under Ascent Guidance, between "Launch to RV" and "Launch into plane of target".

I set a target, in my case Ceti in GPP, choose one of the two options, engage the AP and wait.  Regardless of which one I use, I'm never in the plane of the moon by the time I complete my circularization burn.  The rocket lifts off perfectly but doesn't deviate from a standard launch profile until it leaves the atmosphere.

I'm just a little confused.

Edit 1 - And another thing...what does it mean when the "Orbit Inc" title is orange?

Edit 2 - Ok, I think I'm getting it.  I've entered the orbital inclination of my target in the edit box of the "Launch into plane..." before clicking the button.  This seems to have helped.  I'd still like the explanation, though.

Edited by Brigadier

@ XDTHEGREAT I did not update to newest version still running 1.4.5 ksp My pc has not been updated except for my gpu drivers couple days ago. I added couple of ckan mods like stock terrain and astrogator. I even took out my original aircraft which flew fine to make sure it wasn't my aircraft design. Soo I guess I could try fresh install of ksp and cross fingers though it prob wont work lol. Yes plane has elevons,tail plane,fins all set to correct settings. authority set correctly I tested aircraft quite a bit. just I can be at 5000 meters or higher engage mechjeb it spins my plane out of control or noses down to 1000 meters or less and wont correct no matter what I do. worked fine few days ago. Well I just reinstalled whole game/mods took awhile lol it seems to be working so far 

Edited by xnightflyerx
working now so far

My secondary HD died over the weekend, and I was forced to do a fresh install of KSC. Then I downloaded the latest MJ, which was 2.7.4.0-811

Everything seems to work fine, but I am still getting that startup message about how MJ2 is incompatible, blah blah blah. Obviously, this isn't really a problem, so long as it works, but I thought I'd mention it.

Again this is a fresh install of latest KSP  1.5.1.2335 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us plus MechJeb2 2.7.4.0-811 and nothing else - no other mods or custom content of any kind, on Windows 10 Pro 64

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, Jammer-TD said:

, Jim DiGriz said

so sorry, Jim, it took me a day of rest to absorb, that this implies MM has it(correct?). other than in KER in which LinxGuruGammer has resolved with his mod?(he's always there to help)

thanks to "all of you" <again but not enough> for spending your time making these mod's.

and I have no mystery! shucks, it is quite not like me, to even use the  M- word..

Thanks

Jammer

Edited by Jammer-TD
typo