[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

@ksp_circles Going to an asteroid uses the same methods as rendezvousing with another vessel. Get into the same SOI and then "match planes", "Hohmann transfer" , "fine tune" etc. either manually through Maneuver Planner, semi-automated through Rendezvous Planner or using Rendezvous Autopilot.

Thanks.... I ended up going "old school" and actually went there manually. Helped me remember why I enjoy MJ, but also refreshed my old skills. I guess I just got used to MJ doing the tedious work for me.

I know MJ isn't being worked on as much as it used to, but would be a time saver to have a Rendevouz w/Asteroid button :)

(still waiting for donate button)

Edited by ksp_circles

19 hours ago, ksp_circles said:

HI, happy new year (almost).

Question... trying to use MJ to plot a trajectory to some asteroids, and I can't using MJ. Both the advanced xfer to another planet and the regular xfer to another planet say "ejection optimization failed; try manual selection". Anyone else having this issue? (tried using #769-773 builds).

If there's an encounter with the Mun/Moon the PatchedConic solver has some issues and needs manual help.  You can zoom in on the low-dV section of the porkchop plot and then click points there and try them until one works well.

Note that sometimes it bails completely, while sometimes you'll get a solution but it'll be slightly deflected by an encounter and your transfer will be off by a bit, so inspect your orbit after you've created the node.

Does anyone recall which dev build broke dV calculation? I'd like to roll my MJ back to just before it. 

I think it was several builds ago that the stage calculations and display of dV stopped being calculated correctly for asparagus fuel-duct based craft. Some stages show as 0dV, combine the dV of two stages, and give the wrong total dV

On 12/29/2017 at 11:06 PM, ksp_circles said:

HI, happy new year (almost).

Question... trying to use MJ to plot a trajectory to some asteroids, and I can't using MJ. Both the advanced xfer to another planet and the regular xfer to another planet say "ejection optimization failed; try manual selection". Anyone else having this issue? (tried using #769-773 builds).

I've done two advanced xfer calcs using 771-773. They worked really well, but have not done anything with asteroids.

38 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

I've been having an issue where MJ stages a rocket during ascent, and keeps staging and staging until it has gone through all the stages.

If you're not using the dev version that is probably an old bug related to when physics starts early on the pad (most likely due to a revert to launch causing a physics jolt).

50 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

I've been having an issue where MJ stages a rocket during ascent, and keeps staging and staging until it has gone through all the stages.

11 minutes ago, Jim DiGriz said:

If you're not using the dev version that is probably an old bug related to when physics starts early on the pad (most likely due to a revert to launch causing a physics jolt).

I've experienced it with KSP 1.2.2 and I never figured it out.  Revert to launch wasn't a factor.  If a rocket was bugged it would fail 100% of the time--it would stage correctly the first time but then keep blowing off stages.  So long as your second stage got you to orbit it was easy to stop by limiting the auto staging.

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I've experienced it with KSP 1.2.2 and I never figured it out.  Revert to launch wasn't a factor.  If a rocket was bugged it would fail 100% of the time--it would stage correctly the first time but then keep blowing off stages.  So long as your second stage got you to orbit it was easy to stop by limiting the auto staging.

You'd need to repro it with the dev version of MJ on 1.3.1 and post the craft file.  If you can't, then it was another manifestation of the bug that is fixed in dev.

39 minutes ago, Jim DiGriz said:

fixed in dev.

@sarbian maybe time to release a 2.7.0?  dev seems stable enough AFAIK right now.

There was some talk about fuel sim problem a couple of post ago ? I can't look into it before my work load lower a bit (sunday at best). 

But yes, once this is checked an official release is needed.

Edited by sarbian

6 hours ago, sarbian said:

There was some talk about fuel sim problem a couple of post ago ? I can't look into it before my work load lower a bit (sunday at best). 

But yes, once this is checked an official release is needed.

yeah wb9999999999999999999999999 on irc was mentioning something that sounded like a fuel sim bug on irc as well.

I'm trying to make boosters land with help of other mod. I've got a problem though. If I drop these boosters, autopilot disengages. I think the problem exists because of the command parts on boosters. Main rocket is still in focus, but autopilot stops working. Also ascent settings change to some old ones so I can't just press "engage" to continue. :/ Any solution to this?

1 hour ago, jamqdlaty said:

I'm trying to make boosters land with help of other mod. I've got a problem though. If I drop these boosters, autopilot disengages. I think the problem exists because of the command parts on boosters. Main rocket is still in focus, but autopilot stops working. Also ascent settings change to some old ones so I can't just press "engage" to continue. :/ Any solution to this?

You need to have a MechJeb part and a command part on each part of the vessel that you want to control after separation. So, it looks like you didn't have MechJeb and/or command part on your main rocket, is that right?

Is there a way to use MJ to land stages a-la-Falcon 9? I tried it a few times but either I focus on the stage and the rest of the rocket/payload won't continue the ascent after 2nd stage burnout and plunge back to kerbin on a ballistic trajectory, or I can't switch back to the main rocket, resulting in the previous, or I manage to switch back/stay with the main rocket but the previous stage won't try to land

35 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Is there a way to use MJ to land stages a-la-Falcon 9? I tried it a few times but either I focus on the stage and the rest of the rocket/payload won't continue the ascent after 2nd stage burnout and plunge back to kerbin on a ballistic trajectory, or I can't switch back to the main rocket, resulting in the previous, or I manage to switch back/stay with the main rocket but the previous stage won't try to land

Use the Mod FMRS it will let you pilot both using save state switching. Also use Stage recovery if you are just doing it to recover the cost.  Both mods work together if needed.  This combo is also great for aircraft launcher systems and flyback boosters.

Edited by Bornholio
links

3 hours ago, Cdodders said:

The changes to ascent guidance (which i think are still in dev) should have cleaned up some issues with Ascent Guidance trying to control the current active vessel rather than the vessel the autopilot was associated with -- without those changes I don't think you'll have much luck at all trying to do it all simultaneously.  Of course you need to worry about physics range issues and FMRS may be a better solution anyway.

CKAN allow to install stable release under KSP 1.3.1 but not allow to install DEV release which define KSP 1.3.0 as max version.

Nb: stable release define KSP 1.3 as max version, that's mean it support any KSP 1.3.x versions.

Edited by oliezekat

3 hours ago, oliezekat said:

CKAN allow to install stable release under KSP 1.3.1 but not allow to install DEV release which define KSP 1.3.0 as max version.

To see the MechJeb2 dev builds in CKAN you have to go to Settings > CKAN Settings, then click on the New button, select the MechJeb2-dev line and then OK.  The repository should show up in the list window.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

To see the MechJeb2 dev builds in CKAN you have to go to Settings > CKAN Settings, then click on the New button, select the MechJeb2-dev line and then OK.  The repository should show up in the list window.

No, the dev build is shown as only compatible for 1.3.0, so you have to set the Compatible KSP Versions on CKAN to 1.3 under Settings , or it will not show up.