[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

I have problem with #853 on 1.6.1, MechJebNoCommandPod is not working, still require external pod to activate MJ on command pod. How to fix it?

Edited by AFF

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I have problem with #831 on 1.6.1, MechJebNoCommandPod is not working, still require external pod to activate MJ on command pod. How to fix it?

You're about 20 revisions out of data and embedded MechJeb functionality is native to newer releases of MechJeb

11 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

You're about 20 revisions out of data and embedded MechJeb functionality is native to newer releases of MechJeb

Sorry, its text error) Im using #853, lastest revision, corrected the mistake in previous message. Not working on last version

Edited by AFF

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I have problem with #853 on 1.6.1, MechJebNoCommandPod is not working, still require external pod to activate MJ on command pod. How to fix it?

Do you have Module Manager installed? I was asking about this same issue a page back, and learned you need MM for that functionality to be activated.

12 minutes ago, El Sancho said:

Do you have Module Manager installed? I was asking about this same issue a page back, and learned you need MM for that functionality to be activated.

Its working! i install them and it woks! Thnx for helping) 

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

@Sarbian

One more scripting module question/request: Could apoapsis and periapsis be added to "wait for" options?

Done. They ll be at the end of the list since the current code does not like reordering.

Feature request:  Burn until the closest approach distance is either minimal or below a specified value.

This is a more general case of the specific example I have found myself making use of many times:  To intercept something not too far behind you in your orbit the best option is to burn radially out.  The right burn intercepts in half an orbit and if the distance isn't too great it uses less fuel than altering one's orbit to do a Hohmann transfer.  It has a more general use any time you know your orbits are coplanar or close to it.

Also, the match velocities at closest approach would benefit from having a minimum distance--keep rockets from running into each other.

@Nigel Cardozo Not with MechJeb. KSP has a limited physics range of around 2000m where things outside that range are no longer calculated. If they are in atmosphere they are destroyed when they pass out of range. Also, MechJeb seems to only control multiple craft if they are within 200m of each other, which is useful in docking to set the orientation on both your ship and the docking target.

There are a couple other mods aimed at recovery of boosters. 

I use StageRecovery just so I don't have to futz around with each stage manually. All I need to do is slap on enough chutes to each stage. I only worry about boosters that won't make it to orbit.

There is also FMRS that does tricks with going back in time to let you manually control each stage. 

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Nigel Cardozo Not with MechJeb. KSP has a limited physics range of around 2000m where things outside that range are no longer calculated. If they are in atmosphere they are destroyed when they pass out of range. Also, MechJeb seems to only control multiple craft if they are within 200m of each other, which is useful in docking to set the orientation on both your ship and the docking target.

Nitpick.  Objects in atmosphere that go out of physics range are only destroyed if they go low enough in the atmosphere.  Many times I've discarded stuff specifically intended to be destroyed (so as to not clutter up the screen or the save file) that didn't go deep enough in the atmosphere and sat there on rails on a suborbital trajectory.  It's especially annoying if you accidentally switch to one of those while it's in atmosphere.  Since you're in atmosphere you can't switch away, you just have to stay with it until it's destroyed.  (Or even Alt-F4 because it was a phantom, it had no physics so it wouldn't burn or fall and it's apoapsis was also in the atmosphere.  I figure it was part of a booster jettisoned during re-entry, the real stuff burned before going out of physics range leaving only the ghost going round and round.)

5 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Nitpick.  Objects in atmosphere that go out of physics range are only destroyed if they go low enough in the atmosphere.  Many times I've discarded stuff specifically intended to be destroyed (so as to not clutter up the screen or the save file) that didn't go deep enough in the atmosphere and sat there on rails on a suborbital trajectory.  It's especially annoying if you accidentally switch to one of those while it's in atmosphere.  Since you're in atmosphere you can't switch away, you just have to stay with it until it's destroyed.  (Or even Alt-F4 because it was a phantom, it had no physics so it wouldn't burn or fall and it's apoapsis was also in the atmosphere.  I figure it was part of a booster jettisoned during re-entry, the real stuff burned before going out of physics range leaving only the ghost going round and round.)

7 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

There are a couple other mods aimed at recovery of boosters. 

I use StageRecovery just so I don't have to futz around with each stage manually. All I need to do is slap on enough chutes to each stage. I only worry about boosters that won't make it to orbit.

There is also FMRS that does tricks with going back in time to let you manually control each stage. 

Thanks but can't you increase the physics range?

10 minutes ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

In landing guidance,i dont know reason.But when i activate autopilot,booster changes its direction to boostback direction.I have enough fuel on booster(2300dV).But it doesnt start burning.Its just uses RCS and keeps its direction.It happens almost every try.Do you know a solution?

I would not even attempt to use Landing Guidance in MechJeb right now for boostback and landing, there are too many bugs.

You must learn to script using kOS/kRPC.

3 minutes ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

In landing guidance,i dont know reason.But when i activate autopilot,booster changes its direction to boostback direction.I have enough fuel on booster(2300dV).But it doesnt start burning.Its just uses RCS and keeps its direction.It happens almost every try.Do you know a solution?

Forgive me, please, but I'm struggling to understand your description of the problem.

1. In the Landing Guidance window, are you using "Land at target" function or the "Land somewhere" function?

2. In the Landing Guidance window, do you have the "Use RCS for small adjustment" function selected or deselected?

3. When you say "boostback direction" do you mean prograde or retrograde? (if you're not sure about these terms, use SmartASS module to experiment and see which is which)

All the above said, are you allowing for the fact that when you activate the Landing Guidance module, it often continues to circle the Planet/Moon for a while to get into position? When this is happening, there should be three additional lines of text at the bottom of the Landing Guidance window, below the "Use RCS for small adjustment" option. They will read something like...

Step: Deorbit burn

Mode SafeDescentSpeed Policy (false)

If you are seeing those, there's nothing wrong. If you have the Autowarp option activated, this step can take a while. If you don't have Autowarp selected, it can last bloody forever...

Land at target.And yes use RCS is on.Boostback direction is (this is not an deorbit and land.Its boostback and land like SpaceX)I was going on prograde and i turned to retrograde to bring my trajectory to landing pad.

6 minutes ago, Jim DiGriz said:

I would not even attempt to use Landing Guidance in MechJeb right now for boostback and landing, there are too many bugs.

You must learn to script using kOS/kRPC.

Looks like you are sure.Unfortunetely.Do you know any tutorial?

9 minutes ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

Land at target.And yes use RCS is on.Boostback direction is (this is not an deorbit and land.Its boostback and land like SpaceX)I was going on prograde and i turned to retrograde to bring my trajectory to landing pad.

Ah, so desu. In that case, you should probably ignore my response and just go with what Jim said. After all, he and Sarbian code this stuff. I'm just some guy who plays the game :)

For reference this is what needs to be done with landing guidance:

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/1052

If you look at that issue, all of the referenced closed PRs are not "fixed" but they're closed because keeping 50 open issues against landing guidance doesn't help anyone solve problems, those are still all valid bugs against landing guidance.  So the TL;DR there is that its amazing that it works as well as it does given all the bugs that have been reported against it.

Some of the feature requests for it are also quick to dash off as a request and require graduate-level math to solve.

And I very much want to solve all the problems with it.  So I'd like to be able to hoverslam in an atmosphere with unthrottleable TWR > 1.0 engines accurately on the nearest flat surface with a fuel-optimal descent => tons of graduate level math.  Same with solving the problem of optimal boostback and required fuel.  Because ultimately I too want to accurately simulate a Falcon 9 Heavy with MJ.

Edited by Jim DiGriz

Hi @sarbian Ascent Guidance's "launch into plane of target" appears to be broken again.

Tested with a new install of KSP 1.6.1 w/Making History:  There are no other mods in use except MJ dev-#858 and ModuleManager. 4.0.1.

Clicking "launch into plane of target" no longer modifies the inclination in the Ascent Guidance window, and no longer gives me accurate timed launches.  Thank you for all of your hard work - I can't enjoy KSP without MJ!

Edited by Chimichanga