[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Hey, I don't use MechJeb personally but I'm on the Steam forums helping people quite a bit and I get a lot of requests for the latest version or complaints about the version people downloaded not working, etc...

I'm aware it hasn't been "officially" updated to 1.3.1 yet and quite a few "dev builds" are available as the work progresses.

Can I ask what your recommendation would be to these players? Which dev build is the most stable/feature complete? Should I just link them the (current) latest one? Or are they better off rolling back to 1.3.0 and using that version? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

3 hours ago, sarbian said:

And it still land on the wrong side of the planet for you ? 

Not on the wrong side of the planet unless the reentry is very shallow.

More like 50 km off for a normal low orbit reentry.

Just saying that mechjeb calculates a reentry that is accurate, but only if you are falling prograde. If you are falling retrograde normally then it is off. As if it is undercalculating the drag.

I can upload a video today if you wish.

Edited by Weirwindle

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Hey, I don't use MechJeb personally but I'm on the Steam forums helping people quite a bit and I get a lot of requests for the latest version or complaints about the version people downloaded not working, etc...

I'm aware it hasn't been "officially" updated to 1.3.1 yet and quite a few "dev builds" are available as the work progresses.

Can I ask what your recommendation would be to these players? Which dev build is the most stable/feature complete? Should I just link them the (current) latest one? Or are they better off rolling back to 1.3.0 and using that version? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Unofficially, I would recommend the latest one. They fixed a lot of the landing and ascent issues that cropped up in 1.3.1 and is quite stable for my usage. Issues do remain, but it's by far the best 1.3.1 release.

13 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Unofficially, I would recommend the latest one. They fixed a lot of the landing and ascent issues that cropped up in 1.3.1 and is quite stable for my usage. Issues do remain, but it's by far the best 1.3.1 release.

Thanks for your suggestion!

You mean the latest one available at the dev build page? https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/

On 12/10/2017 at 7:06 PM, BadOaks said:

Does anyone know if the rover autopilot's "speed control" feature is supposed to brake if the rover is going too fast? By tweaking the PID settings I think I've been able to get it to slow down more aggressively by putting the wheels in reverse, but this isn't nearly as effective at braking as, well, actually using the brakes.

The reason I have this problem is that I'm using wheels from the Kerbal Foundries mod, which tend to break when going over their max speed, so for the auto pilot to be useful I need it not go over that speed even when going down a hill.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if applied to rovers...but theres a  'not to exceed X/ms.' X being a number. Think its in general 'settings' tab?? When exceeding...i think mj auto down throttles...so may not work with wheel speed

6 hours ago, sarbian said:

Currently I think the only things that may help is the Scripting module.

I need to think about how to do it. Not sure it is doable without an option to set the stage numbers. There was some talk about hot staging with in RO but I don't remember the details. 

I'll have to take a gander at the scripting module this weekend.

Edited by DJ Reonic

12 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

going back to 1.3.0 will not help (nor will using a different autopilot, as all autopilots got hit by the KSP changes in 1.3)
the problem started in 1.3.0 and are still being fixed
only going to 1.2.2 will give a fully fixed version of MJ

I posted on the Steam discussions. I'm trying to install MechJeb with CKAN via dev repo, but I keep getting a module not found kraken error, which apparently indicates that there is no mod file found at the specified download location or something like that... Can anyone shed some light on this matter? I don't believe it is a problem with CKAN, as no other mods I've installed cause this error and I just re-installed with the latest update to CKAN.

On 12/13/2017 at 9:31 AM, sarbian said:

They don't offer excuses. They offer explanation. Code is not magic and the game changed quite a bit in the 3 (4?) years since the original MJ dev stopped working on it. 

As I said you did not show any of the settings you used and it is quite hard to help when one only comes to complain about the good old time of 1.2. And may I remind you that I am the main contributor of MJ since 0.90. So that "older dev" is most likely me.

Which version did you test that with ? I (mostly?) fixed the prediction in the dev release.

But remember @sarbian, as Arthur C Clarke would have said; any sufficiently advanced code is indistinguishable from magic.

Edited by Messernacht

On ‎13‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 9:52 AM, sarbian said:

I have been reading the code and there is a lot of stuff that can make problems, I have not read all te code (for the moment) because you have several connections (calls) that I need to read 1º, this two are the problematic.

MechJebModuleAscentAutopilot.cs

[Persistent(pass = (int)(Pass.Type | Pass.Global))]
        public bool forceRoll = true;
        [Persistent(pass = (int)(Pass.Type | Pass.Global))]
        public EditableDouble verticalRoll = new EditableDouble(0);

This is the part that is not working well :

//limit the amount of steering to 10 degrees. Furthermore, never steer to a FPA of > 90 (that is, never lean backward)
                double maxOffset = 10 * UtilMath.Deg2Rad;
                if (desiredFlightPathAngle > 80) maxOffset = (90 - desiredFlightPathAngle) * UtilMath.Deg2Rad;
                if (steerOffset.magnitude > maxOffset) steerOffset = maxOffset * steerOffset.normalized;

desiredThrustVector += steerOffset;
            }

desiredThrustVector = desiredThrustVector.normalized;

MechJebModuleAscentGuidance.cs

autopilot.forceRoll = GUILayout.Toggle(autopilot.forceRoll, "Force Roll");
                if (autopilot.forceRoll)
                {
                    GuiUtils.SimpleTextBox("climb", autopilot.verticalRoll, "º", 30f);
                    GuiUtils.SimpleTextBox("turn", autopilot.turnRoll, "º", 30f);
                }

Oh here is the image I talk about ( from the damn video )

ksp.jpg
picture hosting

Also here is ( again) the mods that I'm using

GameData\ModuleManager.2.8.0.dll 
 GameData\000_AT_Utils\Plugins\000_AT_Utils.dll 
 GameData\000_USITools\MiniAVC.dll  
 GameData\CommunityCategoryKit\CCK.dll 
 GameData\Firespitter\Plugins\Firespitter.dll 
 GameData\GroundConstruction\Plugins\GroundConstruction.dll  
 GameData\KAS\Plugins\KAS.dll   
 GameData\KerbalKonstructs\KerbalKonstructs.dll 
 GameData\KIS\Plugins\KIS.dll  
 GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\MechJeb2.dll 
 GameData\REPOSoftTech\DeepFreeze\MiniAVC.dll 
 GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.dll  
 GameData\TriggerTech\KerbalAlarmClock\KerbalAlarmClock.dll 
 GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Konstruction\Konstruction.dll 

On ‎13‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Starwaster said:

Specific information was asked for and not provided; your video does not provide it nor have you provided the information in your posts. The Ascent Guidance window isn't even close to what Sarbian said.

Specific suggestions have been made and no followup posts from you have acknowledged those suggestions nor have you indicated you tried the suggestions nor have you provided feedback as to the results from carrying out those suggestions.

Well I did add all I have, if I don't have logs or error dumps , them is not enough information, hehehehe ok ok.

Next time is better for you guys to clearly speak the requirements before saying anything more, because people just say that there is no information but clearly there is, might not be the info needed but you can ask for specific info not crucifying the person just because there is no info.

PS, going to work but don't worry I will finish reading it later on

Edited by custume

11 minutes ago, custume said:

I have been reading the code and there is a lot of stuff that can make problems, I have not read all te code (for the moment) because you have several connections (calls) that I need to read 1º, this two are the problematic.

MechJebModuleAscentGuidance.cs

autopilot.forceRoll = GUILayout.Toggle(autopilot.forceRoll, "Force Roll");
                if (autopilot.forceRoll)
                {
                    GuiUtils.SimpleTextBox("climb", autopilot.verticalRoll, "º", 30f);
                    GuiUtils.SimpleTextBox("turn", autopilot.turnRoll, "º", 30f);
                }

How this can be problematic? Do you even know what this piece of code does? It's displaying textboxes for climb and roll turns when "Force Roll" is enabled. Are you trolling us or what?

I have serious doubts that you know anything about Unity modding.

EDIT: Sorry sarbian for cluttering this thread with any replies to this discussion. I just can't stand it :)

Edited by maja

23 minutes ago, custume said:

I have been reading the code and there is a lot of stuff that can make problems

Edit: sorry, wrong conversation.

No, the window I want to see is the one called "Attitude Adjustment". It is where the setting about how MJ controls the vessel attitude are.

4 hours ago, MysticDaedra said:

I posted on the Steam discussions. I'm trying to install MechJeb with CKAN via dev repo, but I keep getting a module not found kraken error, which apparently indicates that there is no mod file found at the specified download location or something like that... Can anyone shed some light on this matter? I don't believe it is a problem with CKAN, as no other mods I've installed cause this error and I just re-installed with the latest update to CKAN.

I just checked the link in the dev repo and it works for me. It may be something specific about CKAN...

You can always get it by hand 

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/

Edited by sarbian

20 minutes ago, custume said:

Well I did add all I have, if I don't have logs or error dumps , them is not enough information, hehehehe ok ok.

Next time is better for you guys to clearly speak the requirements before saying anything more, because people just say that there is no information but clearly there is, might not be the info needed but you can ask for specific info not crucifying the person just because there is no info.

PS, going to work but don't worry I will finish reading it later on

Let the people you are going to for help decide if logs are enough information or not. Logs are actually a listed requirement for obtaining MJ help and even if they don't contain errors, logs allow potential troubleshooters to obtain relevant information about your game installation and its mods without having to go back and forth with the supplicant for more information.

With regards to suggestions made or requests for additional information, I don't see how those could have been made more clearly to you than they already have by various other persons, myself included. You just don't seem to want to try anything else nor provide specific requested information. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have noticed while using MJ that when autowarp is set it can initially take some time for MJ to start the warp. I have waited a couple of minutes sometimes and autowarp still has not begun.

Most times I can give MJ a kick by tapping one of the direction keys. Other times I have to manually start the warp ie. hit the "." key and then hit the "," and then MJ will start the warp. Then at about 9 minutes before the node as orbital drift causes the orientation to be changed the process is repeated.

This can change from ship to ship depending on size and rate of turn.

As autowarp has to relock at the end of a warp anyway perhaps the initial lock to node does not have to be so precise?

Edited by Daveroski
typo

3 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I have noticed while using MJ that when autowarp is set it can initially take some time for MJ to start the warp. I have waited a couple of minutes sometimes and autowarp still has not begun.

Most times I can give MJ a kick by tapping one of the direction keys. Other times I have to manually start the warp ie. hit the "." key and then hit the "," and then MJ will start the warp. Then at about 9 minutes before the node as orbital drift causes the orientation to be changed the process is repeated.

This can change from ship to ship depending on size and rate of turn.

As autowarp has to relock at the end of a warp anyway perhaps the initial lock to node does not have to be so precise?

This is a known issue and I believe an open issue in github (not able to check atm).

I seem to remember that this started when a change from a few KSP versions ago was implemented that had a comment that mentioned waiting to warp until the attitude was more precise. I thought it was a little strange at the time because after the warp starts, things immediately drift from the maneuver marker, so why should there be tighter tolerances beforehand? But, as you mentioned, I was always able to give it a little kick by hitting the warp key, so I never really thought about it much.  It would be interesting if someone remembers that change and looks at it to see if the issue is there.

4 hours ago, John Midnight said:

Hello, I have an error in altitude (ASL), it displays altitude with one extra digit (7.0000 instead of 7.000 meters  of altitude).

Welcome to the forums.  Please read the original post (OP) and provide the information requested there (read this thread for more details of where to find it and how to post it: How To Get Support (READ FIRST) - Technical Support (PC, modded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums).  A screenshot of what you mean would be helpful, too.

Without much context, it's hard to say why that is an error.

Might just be the fact that im using a dev version but is anyone else getting insane (90 degree) oscillations in spacecraft attitude, it seems that MJ overcompensates for even the slightest error in spacecraft orientation by maxing the reaction wheels in the opposite direction to the error. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, tmccreight651 said:

Might just be the fact that im using a dev version but is anyone else getting insane (90 degree) oscillations in spacecraft attitude, it seems that MJ overcompensates for even the slightest error in spacecraft orientation by maxing the reaction wheels in the opposite direction to the error. Any suggestions?

But more seriously : 90° oscillations ?!? The dev version has some trouble but I don't see what could lead to that. But as the previous poster pointed out I ll need some more infos.

2 hours ago, Laie said:

Sorry if I'm being a nuisance, but why has the "Use Stock SAS" option been removed? Is there any chance that it might be brought back?

It did not work properly since the stock SAS code changed. It may if someone submit new code.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:41 PM, icecold951 said:

Anyone know what is going on with landing guidance? It won't even try to land where I designate. Even in space, before atmosphere affects, it just goes half way around the world. I thought it might be a mod, so I removed everything but mechjeb. Did the same thing.

I'm having this too.  I finally got 1.3.1 up and running after lagging on 1.3 for quite a while, and started a fresh game.  Went to land on the Mun for the first time via MechJeb and it is landing on the opposite side of the Mun I told it to.  The video shows I selected 0 Deg 51' 22" N by 149 Deg 8' 53" W, yet it's landing Predictions put me at 0 48' 34" N by 53 03' 49" E.  and it will land pretty close to that, but it's on the other side of the Mun I needed to land at.  Any help would be appreciated.

addons.txt (list of my addons)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UYQmsGRdcM7xpxCkR9ceHSD7gZSsBrWa
mp4 (showing a messed up landing cycle)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BxzQgS2NABj58BuHtTVrfq1fw28v2BFa
log (output_log.txt)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rTQI2Psb3aCklbLSDvBhKYaG_jvoEgP2

I'm going to try the dev build tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

Edited by Critter79606

10 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

I'm having this too.  I finally got 1.3.1 up and running after lagging on 1.3 for quite a while, and started a fresh game.  Went to land on the Mun for the first time via MechJeb and it is landing on the opposite side of the Mun I told it to.  The video shows I selected 0 Deg 51' 22" N by 149 Deg 8' 53" W, yet it's landing Predictions put me at 0 48' 34" N by 53 03' 49" E.  and it will land pretty close to that, but it's on the other side of the Mun I needed to land at.  Any help would be appreciated.

addons.txt (list of my addons)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UYQmsGRdcM7xpxCkR9ceHSD7gZSsBrWa
mp4 (showing a messed up landing cycle)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BxzQgS2NABj58BuHtTVrfq1fw28v2BFa
log (output_log.txt)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rTQI2Psb3aCklbLSDvBhKYaG_jvoEgP2

I'm going to try the dev build tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

So far, the dev version

has worked for me. I thought Mechjeb had updated to 1.3.1. There are issues, but nothing breaking.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, sarbian said:

But more seriously : 90° oscillations ?!? The dev version has some trouble but I don't see what could lead to that. But as the previous poster pointed out I ll need some more infos.

I've long learned to limit fins to about 20-30 percent. Solves that issue for the most part. It is over correcting.

Edited by icecold951