[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

21 hours ago, ricgecomet said:

Hi i am new in ksp and try to use mechjeb 2, but i got confused without manual. And its seem wiki mechjeb manual cant be accessed. Can someone give tutorial? Especially smart A.S.S svel,hvel,kill rot, etc thing.

Thanks.

well, I do not use those stuff.

I only use the manoeuvre planner, landing guidance, docking autopilot, launch pilot, and the rendezvous pilot.

So I cannot really help. Anyway, the wiki is kinda outdated the last time I checked.

That is primarily what I use also. Lot of the functions are informational. Lots of stuff in mechjeb is learn as you go and watch a lot of videos. That's how I learned. Mechjeb is a blast to me. When I go on a space flight anywhere, Mechjeb is my flight computer. I don't fly without it. When I play KSP, I play it to have the most realistic space flight I can get. I try to do missions like it would really be done to the closest I can. I play a lot of Apollo missions cause that's probably the craft I know the most about. Those Apollo missions to the moon never get old for me. I've got me a little city down there as many times as I've been there. I have space station around the Mun, Kerban, and Minmus so lots of things I can do along the way. Love this game.

Edited by MikeO89

On 6/6/2018 at 3:58 AM, ricgecomet said:

Hi i am new in ksp and try to use mechjeb 2, but i got confused without manual. And its seem wiki mechjeb manual cant be accessed. Can someone give tutorial? Especially smart A.S.S svel,hvel,kill rot, etc thing.

Thanks.

SmartASS is Mechjeb's equivalent to the SAS mode buttons.  KILLROT works like the basic SAS hold button, it tries to maintain the current orientation and stops any rotational movement.  The different modes (ORB, TGT, SURF, etc) offer different controls depending on what you are trying to maneuver relative to.   TGT for example,  has controls that orient your relative to the current target. SURF, has controls useful for flying above a planetary surface. 

Thanks for ur reply!

Its true smart A.S.S minor function of mechjeb, but knows some minor function its bad.^_^

And yeah I am new in the game played about 48 hours in game, and more i play more i like this game, bring me understanding cosmic stuff.:lol:

Ps: With many trial error I got some clue about what button do what. But I still not understand with kill root (thanks to @Capt. Hunt) surf tab and adv tab...:wacko:

Edited by ricgecomet

@ricgecomet I like to use the ADV in Smart A.S.S. so simple probes or upper stages with small solar panels can always orient to the sun.
Or that scanners are always parallel to the surface in eccentric orbits.

The 2nd is only "cosmetical", because it doesn't matter in which direction a scanner faces, but for the immersion ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

@ricgecomet

Handy trick with the SmartA.S.S. module is that it still functions without a pilot. I use the orbit functions for that reason or to hold normal/radial with inexperienced pilot. I use the node button to hold the maneuver node if I'm going to go to another ship before I perform a maneuver so if I'm a bit late back the ship is already facing the node. The target selection has all kinds of useful things if you are rendezvousing manually and the par- (when a docking port is the target) will keep your ships docking port parallel and facing the target. That makes manually docking very easy. I use the surface stuff for manual landings. you can kill just your horizontal speed(hvel-) or vertical speed (up) or kill them both equally(svel-). Svel- will end up bringing both vertical and horizontal speed to zero at the same time but it gets strange at really slow speeds. I use svel- when reentering the atmosphere to hold the heat shield where I want it. 

10 hours ago, ricgecomet said:

Ps: With many trial error I got some clue about what button do what. But I still not understand with kill root (thanks to @Capt. Hunt) surf tab and adv tab...:wacko:

All good stuff from @Capt. Huntand @AngrybobH (I hadn't thought of that use for the PAR mode, thanks). The Advanced tab lets you select, via a series of sub-modes, the reference vector for your stability.  Some are pretty self-explanatory, such as:

1. Orbit - relative to the orbit the craft is in.  So, Orbit/Forward is the equivalent of prograde, Orbit/Backward = retrograde, etc.  This is the same as the OBT mode.
  2. Target - relative to the set target; same as TGT mode.

Some are a little less obvious, such as:

1. Sun - relative to the Sun (gee...no kidding :cool:).  Forward/Backward is along your orbit but references the sun, so not necessarily the same as Orbit prograde and retrograde.  Up (away) and Down (toward) the sun, kinda like Radial Out and Radial In but relative to the sun.  I use a right-hand rule for this one: middle finger is down, index forward and thumb left (because if you point your middle finger down (real down, like on earth :sticktongue:), the thumb points left).  Like @Gordon Dry, I use this mode to orient my craft for solar panel positioning.
  2. Relative_Velocity - you have to have a target set to use this one and I suspect (since I've never used this mode) that, instead of being along the relative direction in TGT mode, it's relative to (duh) the relative velocity vector with the target.
  3. Maneuver_Node - you have to have a maneuver node set.  MN/Forward points you along your next maneuver vector.  All the other ones are 'relative' to this (you should be getting relatively tired of 'relative' by now).

You probably get the idea.  As you suggest, some testing is required to figure them all out and I'm sure they have their applications.

Before ascent guidance is available, I use the SURF/SURF mode to control pitch & heading on ascent by changing the numbers in the respective boxes as necessary.  I use SURF mode for landing, too, but only until I get close.  Then I switch to the Translation tool and leave Smart A.S.S. on Kill Rotation.  And before I get the 'do it manually...you'll learn more' argument...nah, tried that and got WAY too frustrated.

So i'm on #801... 

Why is Smart RCS deciding i need to absolutely fire up all rcs thrusters the minute i land with a 0.5m/s vertical velocity even on one of Minmus' flat areas? It's reacting to the bounce of the landing legs! How do i turn this off? Seriously i get why some people want it, but in my case all it does is try to flip my lander. And just like the auto docking, it eats monoprop so fast... 

I think I got eaten by the Space Kraken. Not blaming this one on MJ, not even remotely, but I'd like to hear what the community thinks happened here.

It says, as you can see, "crashed into Colliders". It's fully repeatable, happens every time. I have a save if anyone is all that interested.

I was returning from Minmus, having executed a "return from moon" maneuver with the Maneuver Planner, and the explosive anomaly occurs right at the point of escape from Minmus' gravity well.

Edited by El Sancho

@sarbian does the rover autopilot work with all wheels or only squad stock wheels, I use the kerbal foundries wheels and the autopilot wigs out when i use these, but works perfectly for the stock wheels (which suck). I can supply logs if needed but was more of a question than anything and i apologise if its been answered before.

1 hour ago, Virtualgenius said:

@sarbian does the rover autopilot work with all wheels or only squad stock wheels, I use the kerbal foundries wheels and the autopilot wigs out when i use these, but works perfectly for the stock wheels (which suck). I can supply logs if needed but was more of a question than anything and i apologise if its been answered before.

Stock. I am sure it could be fixed but ATM I can not work on my mods. If anyone want a go at it feel free to submit a PR.

21 hours ago, El Sancho said:

I think I got eaten by the Space Kraken. Not blaming this one on MJ, not even remotely, but I'd like to hear what the community thinks happened here.

[...video...]

It says, as you can see, "crashed into Colliders". It's fully repeatable, happens every time. I have a save if anyone is all that interested.

I was returning from Minmus, having executed a "return from moon" maneuver with the Maneuver Planner, and the explosive anomaly occurs right at the point of escape from Minmus' gravity well.

Weird, I'm not sure what this has to do with MJ, I don't think it would have any affect on colliders. I used to see something similar when playing with Textures Unlimited. It has psuedo-parts that float outside your craft to create reflections, but sometimes they would smash your ship in warp. That was a while ago and I thought the issue had been fixed.

It's because Mechjeb uses a very stupid but reliable script. It goes something like:

Gravity turn done? -> orient to pro-grade. (assuming upper atmospheric drag is an issue).

am I above atmosphere? -> create node to T+1 burn and orient to burn...

The effect of this script doesn't always make the most sense but it basically works in basically all situations.

hi mechjeb community ! i want to make a satellite constellation using mechjeb2 (on ksp 1.2.2) but after ~5 day in orbit the satellite become completely out of sync i know mechjeb is very precise but can we make it more precise and it's the same problem for the geostationary orbit who is no longer geostationary after 1 month in orbit...

(sorry if i make some english mistake am french)

So i set my rcs not to do rotation and it seems that as soon as i autoland it resets that ? As in i have to right-click every. single. rcs. thruster. on the ship and show actuation toggles to then untick yaw, pitch and roll. 

I don't get what the changes were meant to do. Someone care to explain ? 

6 minutes ago, Mokmo said:

So i set my rcs not to do rotation and it seems that as soon as i autoland it resets that ? As in i have to right-click every. single. rcs. thruster. on the ship and show actuation toggles to then untick yaw, pitch and roll. 

I don't get what the changes were meant to do. Someone care to explain ? 

Yeah, my MechJeb is so shot right now that I've stopped playing the game. Maybe one day it'll be updated again.

10 hours ago, PicardSpeedo said:

Yeah, my MechJeb is so shot right now that I've stopped playing the game. Maybe one day it'll be updated again.

So why not just delete it and reinstall 8.00 instead of kvetching? :)

Edited by El Sancho
the devil made me do it