[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

17 hours ago, SPD13 said:

Hi,

This should be possible. Once you are on Eve's trajectory, you set the following actions:

- "Time" => "Warp to" and select "SOI change". This will wait until you enter Eve's SOI.

- "Target" => "Target body" and select "Duna".

- "Trajectory" => "Manoeuver" and select "Hohmann transfer to target"

- "Trajectory" => "Execute node" and select "next node". This will execute the manoeuver previously set

@sarbian Do you mind opening a Wiki access for me on the documentation so I can document the features of the Scripting module?

The scripting you provided works (when there is a connection) But unfortunately this does not work if there is no connection to the KSC using Remote Tech ;.;;.;

On the extreme contrary; using just CommNet (without Remote Tech) still allows full  real time control over the vessel using MechJeb even when there is no connection... which is equally as frustrating and annoying and is why I switched to RT in the first place. 

17 hours ago, sarbian said:

Add a page on the github wiki. I gave you push access to the repo to make things easier.

Edit : actually the wiki should not require any special access.

I was thinking about this wiki : http://wiki.mechjeb.com/index.php?title=Manual

This is where the "online manual" button of the module is landing

Thanks

6 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

The scripting you provided works (when there is a connection) But unfortunately this does not work if there is no connection to the KSC using Remote Tech ;.;;.;

On the extreme contrary; using just CommNet (without Remote Tech) still allows full  real time control over the vessel using MechJeb even when there is no connection... which is equally as frustrating and annoying and is why I switched to RT in the first place. 

Not sure why... i did not explore the game enough to understand CommNet limitations. It should not have an impact as mechjeb is executed locally on the vessel.

Hello to all,

Quick question, I hope.

I am trying to rendezvous with a target vessel that has been placed into an orbit with 69 inclination.

using mechjeb #712 and ksp 1.3.0, i select the target vessel and then using assent guidance i have tried to use the rendezvous and the match inclination for the target vessel but with no luck.  I am ending up in the correct orbital altitude, but nowhere near the same 'orbit'.

What am i overlooking here???  It seems to me that I used to do this the exact same way in versions a long time ago, but hell, i have slept since then so who knows what i have forgotten.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

inclination only talks about the angle of the orbit to the equator.  You also need to fix your argument of periapsis.  I believe MJ has a function that does this.  it will set your argument of Apsis "after 1 orbit" so that when you get back to where you are you will be in the right place to burn and set your apoapsis and then subsequently your new periapsis.

I hope all this is clear...  lol if needed I could try to write a longer post with better explanation.

EDIT: oh and I forgot to mention the Longitude of your ascending node / mean anomaly.   this is quite a complex process to do.  but once your orbital plane matches that of your target then MJ can plot your rendezvous for you. 

Edited by Bit Fiddler

Thanks for the reply.

That shook some dust off of a few brain cells.  I now seem to remember something about needing to do a first 'test' run and then redoing the flight over immediately.  Seems it looked at the 'error' on the dry run and then made adjustment(s) on the second 'money' run.

I will see if i can get that to work, and if not I will scratch head and PM you to figure out how to get it to work.

I am way to bored with equatorial flights... lol......

I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Cheers.

@drtedastro

the easiest way to get there.... if you can follow me....

1. place yourself in an equatorial orbit with Ap/Pe where they should be (not required but helps visually)

2. move the camera until you are looking at the planet from the equator and directly at the An/Dn of the target orbit.

3. place a maneuver node on the orbit inline with the lowest/highest point on the target orbit. (these will not necessarily be Ap /Pe so some camera rotation and maneuver node adjusting may be required to see the spot and get the node positioned)

4. set the node's normal/anti-normal until your orbit matches the plane of the target orbit. and execute with MJ. (be carful here...  some other adjustments may be need to keep you on a safe orbit.  be sure to look and see that you do not crash)

5. now use MJ to plan the rendezvous

or if you need to get to a specific orbit

5. if you are trying to set up an orbit and need the Pe or Ap to be exact. now do the Argument of Pe maneuver to set your Pe to the desired value.

6. in any case weather you did step 5 or not you can now burn at Pe to set your Ap at your desired value.

7. burn at Ap to set your Pe to the desired value

This will not work for a specific Geostationary orbit  (such as a geo stationary orbit directly over KSC), as that requires dealing with the rotation of the planets as you set your Ap/Pe as this sort of setup needs you to be at a specific spot on the orbit at a specific time.  this type of orbit is much more difficult to achieve, however the set argument of apsis maneuver planner will get you there if you adjust for the planetary rotation.  and I would love for MJ to have this in the maneuver planer for us. 

"Set Geostationary orbit at specified Longitude"

I hope this is more clear as I realized I misread your post.  I thought you were trying to set a sat in a specific orbit.   did not realize you were trying to dock or what ever and needed to actually rendezvous with another craft.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

@sarbian

Had some trouble with the 'prevent unstable ignition' option.  I have a craft with a main engine and some retro rockets I fire later.  When trying to fire the retro rockets, because the main engine's fuel was unstable, I could not throttle up, even though my main engine was out of fuel & out of ignitions.

MJ had this option defaulted to on too, so it was difficult to figure out what was happening.

I have 3 suggestions here to help with this

1.  Ignore engines that are out of fuel and/or out of ignitions
  2. Don't default this to on
  3. If it is on, and does keep the throttle to 0, print some text on screen in an obvious place to let people know why their controls are not responding. 

It's a useful feature, but the lack of notification had me pulling out my hair for a while trying to figure out what's wrong :)

Edited by Maxsimal

@Bit Fiddler

H'mm, I am doing something wrong.

Never getting close at all..

I launch first craft to a 256 km orbit with 69 inc.

I select first craft as target awhile later.

Then launch second craft (identical craft) with rend with target, establish circ orbit (ascent guidance has finished) then revert to launch pad and try again.

Not even close.

thanks for any help.  I want to be able to bust this one...

Cheers.

@drtedastro

It would help to know in which way it's not even close?   Are the two vessels ending up in the same plane and orbit but at wildly different points?   Or are the planes inclined to each other?   Personally, especially with orbits that high...  I'd be launching to a 100km parking orbit using the 'launch into plane of target' button instead of launch to rendezvous, then making a hohmann transfer (or using the rendezvous autopilot) to finish the rendezvous. 

thanks for comments and reply.

other side of planet, not close.

I am pulling old version(s) of ksp and mechjeb out of my archives and checking.  Once i remembered the fly a dummy mission to let it learn and then fly the next mission, i remembered.  And it used to be able to put multiple launches right on the mark.  Built ISS on a 60 inc a long time ago.  I remember that it also waited for a long time in some cases for the correct alignment, where these launches are only spaced out by a few hours.

I will look at what you said, and try that.  Seems a waste of dV, but if it works just take more fuel.. lol.....

thanks.

If i find the older version that was hitting the mark then i will put together a package with all parts and logs and submit it as a '-feature', but for now i just consider it my brains problem.

Cheers.

And as always, thanks to sarbian, starwaster and all who have worked and helped with this and all other mods.  if i did not have mjeb, i wouldn't have near the fun.  i dont care about piloting (hell, that is why we buy the little green guys so cheap).  I enjoy the engineering and awesome explosions.

thanks.

13 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Just docked the Fasa SM and Capsule with Raider Nicks Skylab mod and it was spot on  using the #713 build

what was the inclination of the target vessel? and did you have to do the launch and repeat method?

thanks for any info.

0 inclination is easy, and basically upto about 30 seems to work out ok.

see how well it does with 60 inc angle.?.?  the ISS is at a 51.6 so I was fiddling around with a 60 inclination.

I have worked it out manually, using LAN of target and simple math so now i am hitting it every time, but MJ still seems to be having some problems with above 30 inclination.

thanks for your info and help.

Where down under are you?

Cheers.

I opened a github issue about launch into plane being borked quite a long time ago. I have never trusted them since. I haven't played in a little while so I don't know if it's been fixed.

I did a bunch of testing, with images provided, and basically the phase angle for launch time was completely inconsistent. Sometimes it would work, some people would claim they had no problems at all, but with the exact same build and mechjeb only installed, I would see launches that either went to the opposite inclination (-69 instead of 69, for instance), or were just launched at completely the wrong time. To me it sounds like whatever was causing that behavior has not been fixed. 

Edit: Here's the github issue I was talking about:

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/739

And here's the imgur album:

Edited by drhay53

RCS is not working with #713:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MuMech.RCSSolverThread.GetThrottles (.Vessel vessel, MuMech.VesselState state, Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrustersOut) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleRCSBalancer.GetThrottles (Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrusters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.UpdateRCSThrustAndTorque (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

This is thrown like spam when RCS is enabled in flight.

When enabling RCS on launchpad it works.

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2j5kxyffypj3kc/2017-07-05-1 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Does anyone know what exactly causes the settings on the Ascent Guidance module to get saved as a certain default? I had a launch where I had some non-standard settings, and for some reason now Ascent Guidance always defaults to those settings, which I have to undo. 

Hey, @sarbian , I'm having an issue with Mechjeb for KSP 1.2.2 and Procedural Fairings addon. When I design a rocket in which fairings are in their own stage, and use Mechjeb Ascent Guidance with Stage Fairing set to default values, the Mechjeb never stages these fairings, even after reaching 70km altitude. If I put the fairing staging together with decouplers and engines of the upper stage, then Mechjeb will wait and stage it at 50km altitude, as it should.

So, I wonder why it doesn't stage fairings when they are in their own separate stage. It works with vanilla fairings, but not from Procedural Fairings addon. Can you please advise?