[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Duplicated the issue.

Variant of the vessel with remote control to have all 3 seats for rescued Kerbals.

Spent a stage which is controllable, switched to the stage and deorbited it.

Went to Tracking Station and back to vessel, encountered pod of Kerbal to be rescued.

Turned on RCS - within a few seconds a huge bunch of these until RCS turned off:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MuMech.RCSSolverThread.GetThrottles (.Vessel vessel, MuMech.VesselState state, Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrustersOut) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleRCSBalancer.GetThrottles (Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrusters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.UpdateRCSThrustAndTorque (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nmsq8nlwvuhl2v/2017-07-24-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Another thing, with #723 the attitude is less accurate than with #720, maneuvers in 90% overfire and have to rotate the vessel to counter-burn the surplus of "wrong dV" ... I hope you got me.
Also the maneuver node is moving away much sooner and faster than "usually" at the end of a burn.

Also during reentry without any RCS at the vessel (decoupled with radial decouplers prior to reentry) and RCS disabled the log is spammed with this, it started not exactly below 70km but around 60km ...

at MuMech.RCSSolverThread.GetThrottles (.Vessel vessel, MuMech.VesselState state, Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrustersOut) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleRCSBalancer.GetThrottles (Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrusters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.UpdateRCSThrustAndTorque (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

So there are many different cases when this can happen...

Is it because the decoupled RCS thrusters alone are also reentring?

Hello there fellow star-seekers,

I'm having a tiny problem with mechjeb 2.6.1,  the problem being when I put the module on any ship, the Enable/disable crossfeed button get broken, it cannot switch anymore. being a bit of a problem on large stations with complex refueling systems, or just prebuild crafts with crossfeed oldly enabled in VAB.

Is it a known issue and I didn't find it while reading the forum, or is it new ?

Cordials, Kerman J.

Hi @sarbian,

I'm getting some errors with MechJeb's DeltaV simulations in the SPH. Fresh install of KSP 1.3.0.1804 with just MJ 2.6.1.0-723 on a new sandbox save. When the Dv window is opened, it starts with:

[MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

and then spams the log with:

at MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.StageDeltaVAtmosphereAndVac () <0x0005a>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope,object) <0x00042>
at MuMech.ValueInfoItem/<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<.ctor>b__0 () <0x00024>
at MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () <0x00045>
at MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (int) <0x00124>
at MuMech.DisplayModule.ProfiledWindowGUI (int) <0x0001f>
at UnityEngine.GUILayout/LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (int) <0x000e4>
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI/WindowFunction,int,UnityEngine.GUISkin,int,single,single,UnityEngine.GUIStyle) <0x001b4>

Once the Dv window is closed the log-spam stops. The same thing also happens in flight mode with planes. Everything seems to be working fine with rockets in the VAB.

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwxrrys6ieh97sk/Airplane 1.craft?dl=0

Ksp.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm5t7gsetpamh9v/KSP.log?dl=0

Output_log.txt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezd3snzwsbl5fuw/output_log.txt?dl=0 

Edited by IntoSpaceAgain
Realised I forgot to include KSP version.

14 hours ago, IntoSpaceAgain said:

Hi @sarbian,

I'm getting some errors with MechJeb's DeltaV simulations in the SPH. Fresh install of KSP 1.3.0.1804 with just MJ 2.6.1.0-723 on a new sandbox save. When the Dv window is opened, it starts with:

Should be fixed in the new dev. Thanks for the small craft to test with :)

On 7/27/2017 at 2:03 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Also during reentry without any RCS at the vessel (decoupled with radial decouplers prior to reentry) and RCS disabled the log is spammed with this, it started not exactly below 70km but around 60km ...

I could not duplicate it. I removed some useless code that may be the source of the problem but it is hard to say.

When i dezip the file i got :

Mechjeb2 >

Bundle

Icon

Parts

Plugin

And the game indicate i have to make that :

Ksp 

Gamedata

Mechjeb2

Parts

Plugins

And when i launch the game the mod dont work at all.

So what i do ? ( im french sorry for my english )

Thank you everybody :-)

9 hours ago, Five_05_ said:

Mechjeb2 >

Bundle

Icon

Parts

Plugin

Ksp 

Gamedata

Mechjeb2

Parts

Plugins

If I understand correctly, you should just have to copy/drag the zip file's Mechjeb2 folder to your KSP/Gamedata folder.

Si je vous comprends bien, vous devriez simplement copier/déplacer le dossier Mechjeb2 du fichier zip dans votre dossier KSP/Gamedata.  Et, votre anglais est tres bon sauf pour deux petites erreurs: "the mod doesn't work" (accord avec "mod" - 3ieme personne, singulier), et "So what should I do".

Edited by Brigadier

(Small French interlude)

+1 pour les instructions du caribou.

@Five_05_  Je corrigerais les instructions dans le code pour la prochaine version.  Ca devrait effectivement être :

Ksp
	Gamedata
		Mechjeb2
			Bundle
			Icon
			Parts
			Plugins

18 hours ago, Five_05_ said:

Mechjeb2 >

Bundle

Icon

Parts

Plugin

Ksp 

Gamedata

Mechjeb2

Parts

Plugins

Don't unzip it. Extract to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\KSP\Game Data        Never seems to work for me if I unzip to my desktop and then try dragging and dropping.  

On 8/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, aluc24 said:

@sarbian , I am using Mechjeb 2 in KSP 1.2.2. I noticed that MJ executes maneuver nodes significantly later than half burn time (I am using BetterBurnTime to determine that half time). Is this a bug, or an intended behavior?

rocket equation isn't linear, and MJ splits it by half-dV not by half-time.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/blob/dev/MechJeb2/MechJebModuleNodeExecutor.cs#L229

Edited by Jim DiGriz

10 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

rocket equation isn't linear, and MJ splits it by half-dV not by half-time.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/blob/dev/MechJeb2/MechJebModuleNodeExecutor.cs#L229

Hi, having a bit of an issue with this subject in dev 723.  Not getting any log errors, just some different behavior.

I'm grinding Science and Funds from some trips to Mun and Minmus.  The return craft is simple: Mk1 pod, Hitchhiker, Rockomax 16 tank and Terrier. TWR is about .55 around Kerbin.  In returning from these moons at about 80km PE, I usually need about a 2.5 min burn to circularize at PE. As the burn starts, the PE starts to lower and when I hit PE, it's about .5km lower.  After PE until it ends, it raises back up and goes a little larger.  But, the AP is usually around 6-9km larger than PE, so it's not really very circular, at least not as circular as it has historically been.

I usually address it in one of two ways: either I circularize 15 sec later, which puts me at about midway in altitude, or I stop the burn with about 50-60 secs left, add a new circularize at PE burn (which is a 50-60 sec burn), wait 1 orbit, and it finishes pretty perfectly. Is this similar to the low TWR issues from a few pages ago?

TIA

34 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi, having a bit of an issue with this subject in dev 723.  Not getting any log errors, just some different behavior.

I'm grinding Science and Funds from some trips to Mun and Minmus.  The return craft is simple: Mk1 pod, Hitchhiker, Rockomax 16 tank and Terrier. TWR is about .55 around Kerbin.  In returning from these moons at about 80km PE, I usually need about a 2.5 min burn to circularize at PE. As the burn starts, the PE starts to lower and when I hit PE, it's about .5km lower.  After PE until it ends, it raises back up and goes a little larger.  But, the AP is usually around 6-9km larger than PE, so it's not really very circular, at least not as circular as it has historically been.

I usually address it in one of two ways: either I circularize 15 sec later, which puts me at about midway in altitude, or I stop the burn with about 50-60 secs left, add a new circularize at PE burn (which is a 50-60 sec burn), wait 1 orbit, and it finishes pretty perfectly. Is this similar to the low TWR issues from a few pages ago?

TIA

MechJeb has always had problems with burns that traverse too much of the orbit.  Maneuver nodes themselves have the same problem.  It stems from the approximation that the whole burn is performed at the node, quite reasonable in deep space but when you're near a planet and have a low TWR the approximation isn't good enough.  It's bad enough that I will not do major burns in low orbit with the Nerva engine.

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

I have the math to fix that in an issue but it needs to be implemented...

PEG will eventually fix that right.  It doesn't just do ascents.  That plus a Lambert solver also solves all the on-orbit maneuvers that the space shuttle or orion will be capable of.  And pre-PEG IGM was what the Apollo lunar landers used.

Next major iteration of PEG will break it out into its own class, or probably its own ComputerModule, which will allow Ascents, Maneuvers, Node Executor, Landing Autopilot, etc to start leveraging it.

Then I've also dug up algorithms that'll solve things like planning free return trajectories, and doing transfer planning and flybys properly, etc.

launch into plane of target is still bugged? any (close) future plans with this feature? or need some manual settings to work?

i always need start launch at correct time manually, automatic launch always start at incorect times and finish with (very) bad inclination (also in last dev build)

Edited by Osel