sarbian

[1.7.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.8.4] [14 June 2019]

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, trigger_1154 said:

Does MechJeb still work with the newest update and expansion? Is Sarbian still supporting it?

 

Ummm, no, no, he ran away and joined the French Foreign Legion.

/me nods seriously

***edit***

Seriously, yes, it's all OK, the current version works with 883. I know why you ask, there hasn't been an updated version since April, but the thing is that we all knew a major update was coming. Major updates have, in past, often broken MJ. So Sarbian & Jim usually let updates slide for a while when we know a major patch is in the works; there's no point updating just to have it broken. Now the new Breaking Ground expansion has dropped, and we can probably expect to see some updates in the next 10 days or so, though it seems like this update has not broken MJ, for once.

Just grab 883 at -

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/

- and use that for a while

Edited by El Sancho
national security and my conscience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Sancho said:

Ummm, no, no, he ran away and joined the French Foreign Legion.

/me nods seriously

***edit***

Seriously, yes, it's all OK, the current version works with 883. I know why you ask, there hasn't been an updated version since April, but the thing is that we all knew a major update was coming. Major updates have, in past, often broken MJ. So Sarbian & Jim usually let updates slide for a while when we know a major patch is in the works; there's no point updating just to have it broken. Now the new Breaking Ground expansion has dropped, and we can probably expect to see some updates in the next 10 days or so, though it seems like this update has not broken MJ, for once.

Just grab 883 at -

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/

- and use that for a while

Thank you good sir, I figured this was the case. I'm going to try it out tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Techneck said:

Is this the log you requested called KSP in the Kerbal Space Program folder?

We've all been there at some point. You'll catch on soon enough :).

See this article for help on the log file. However, the log file in the KSP folder will do in this case.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

Save the log file to Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive,  or something similar, and post a link to it here.  Don't post the file itself, and run your game only for as long as necessary to show the problem, then quit and copy the log to keep the file size low.

Also consider uploading screen shots to imgur, or the like, and post links to the pictures showing the problem (worth a thousand words, they say).

The MJ icon should appear on the game's toolbar which runs down the right side of the screen in flight mode.  It runs along the bottom in the VAB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Incursore said:

I have KSP 1.7.1 and MechJeb 2.8.3.0-883, but Mechjeb options and controls show up only if I place a MJ part on the vessel. I installed MJ using CKAN with the Dev List.

Any advice?

Oops, my bad. I've been away from my game computer for a while and seem to have confused MJ with KER, which now defaults to partless. I'd love to verify this before posting but i can't.   That said, my MJ is also partless so I know there's a way to do this.

I thought all command pods got MJ by default? I've you checked through the options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, El Sancho said:

Ummm, no, no, he ran away and joined the French Foreign Legion.

Given the number of work trip I had recently the foreign part is spot on. 

I ll try to have a clean release soon-ish. 

MJ is is partless if you also have ModuleManager installed. And the 1.7 release are the last few dev release on jenkins. ( https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/883/ )

AFAIK Jim is working on some code clean up and that takes time. 

We are still around :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Oops, my bad. I've been away from my game computer for a while and seem to have confused MJ with KER, which now defaults to partless. I'd love to verify this before posting but i can't.   That said, my MJ is also partless so I know there's a way to do this.

I thought all command pods got MJ by default? I've you checked through the options?

Ok, I resolved. It's as sarbian told, MJ is partless only with ModuleManager installed, which I hadn't. Thanks for all guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Incursore said:

I have KSP 1.7.1 and MechJeb 2.8.3.0-883, but Mechjeb options and controls show up only if I place a MJ part on the vessel. I installed MJ using CKAN with the Dev List.

Any advice?

Where did you get MechJeb 2.8.3.0-883.  How can you find out what build it is.  My downloaded file says its 2.8.3.0 but no -883.  Looking at Curse Forge the MechJeb2 2.8.3.0 says it's for Kerbal 1.6.  I'm using 1.7 how about you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Techneck said:

Where did you get MechJeb 2.8.3.0-883.  How can you find out what build it is.  My downloaded file says its 2.8.3.0 but no -883.  Looking at Curse Forge the MechJeb2 2.8.3.0 says it's for Kerbal 1.6.  I'm using 1.7 how about you?

I use CKAN. If you look at the first page of the topic there are the instructions to have access to this particular version of the mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know this isn't an MJ problem, its a KSP issue. I'm just posting here to see if others in our little community have encountered the same -

I am finding that the new version of KSP loads and runs more sluggishly than before the Breaking Ground update. It's like unoptimized code. It takes longer to load, and when the menu appears it freezes the screen for 15-20 seconds. I have checked Settings and it's still the same; I have things turned down a bit from max. Also exiting KSP takes notably longer. Is anyone else seeing this?

Edited by El Sancho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Incursore said:

I use CKAN. If you look at the first page of the topic there are the instructions to have access to this particular version of the mod.

I didn't see the need for ckan since I can just unzip MechJeb2 into the appropriate directory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me for not reading 99 pages worth of comments;  I imagine the answer is buried back there somewhere.  I've just returned after a year or two away, and the last time I played was with KSP 1.3.x.  Now I'm running 1.7.0. While I like playing career games, I don't like hand flying rockets with a keyboard.  I used to have an MM config file that changed all the MechJeb features to be available at the start of the tech tree.

After a fair amount of experimenting, tweaking, and testing, I still can't get the MJ features to work at the start of a career game.  I've tried using the old MM .cfg file.  I've tried manually changing the MJ part configs.  Nothing works.

I know it's been a while and many changes have probably been made.  Is it no longer possible to get these features available at the beginning of the tech tree?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Take a look here: 

You might also be interested in this mod, makes MJ partless:

 

Edited by VoidSquid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Take a look here: 

You might also be interested in this mod, makes MJ partless:

 

Unfortunately, all of that has been around for years, and was the first thing I tried.  It was was part of my initial setup, actually.  It doesn't seem to work with 1.7.0 or 1.7.1.  The 1.7.1 is an empty install with no mods at all.  Does this still, in fact, work for you?  Or did it used to work?  For me, it certainly used to work, but doesn't with 1.7.x.

Log file: output_log.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm using 1.7.0, patiently waiting for my core mods to be updated. I don't mind, still many many things to do w/o BG.
That said, I'm still playing my old career I started with 1.3.1 (upgraded step by step to 1.7.0, as already said above), so no, I never tried to "force" MJ to be fully available with a new career.
Can't say anything about 1.7.1, but why shouldn't that configs work? You have MM 4.0.2, I assume?

Edit: did you check the MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg ?

Edited by VoidSquid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

Can't say anything about 1.7.1, but why shouldn't that configs work? You have MM 4.0.2, I assume?

Edit: did you check the MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg ?

 

Yes, MM is installed and working.  

 

MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg???  Not sure what that is.  Google thinks I should rename that to deactivate it.  I'll give it a try...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really should work with a simple additional cfg file

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know that once upon a time there was an Atlas-based Ascent program that I think Lamont made for MJ.
That appears to be missing now, as I've updated to 1.6.1 RSS/RO.
Which means MechJeb doesn't see the full DV of the Atlas rocket I'm trying to get into orbit, due to the staging.
Which means no-ey launch-ey, because it won't launch if it doesn't see a clear guidance path.

On the other hand, when I try to manually push through the first stage by flying myself, as soon as I attempt to activate ascent guidance after staging, the motor shuts down.

Is there a way around this beyond, "Don't Use MechJeb For This Type Of Launch?"

Edited by slaintemaith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

I know that once upon a time there was an Atlas-based Ascent program that I think Lamont made for MJ.
That appears to be missing now, as I've updated to 1.6.1 RSS/RO.
Which means MechJeb doesn't see the full DV of the Atlas rocket I'm trying to get into orbit, due to the staging.
Which means no-ey launch-ey, because it won't launch if it doesn't see a clear guidance path.

On the other hand, when I try to manually push through the first stage by flying myself, as soon as I attempt to activate ascent guidance after staging, the motor shuts down.

Is there a way around this beyond, "Don't Use MechJeb For This Type Of Launch?"

Stage and a half is going to be more problematic with PVG than with old PEG versions because it is fantastically much more accurate about calculations now -- which means that due to the dV being off it accurately computes that a rocket with those stats will never make it to your target and refuses to converge.  You might be able to beat on it with a hammer and find some way to trick it, but its getting better about trying to hack it not working.  I'd suggest not building 1.5 stage rockets, its probably going to be too much of a pain.  Nobody has reported a workaround to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for your response!

Pity the old Atlas code (which worked remarkably well for Atlas rockets) isn't still available.  Could one not just plop that in as another drop down for guidance options, or would that involve many many programming hoops because the nature of the code (i.e., how MJ itself handles things) has changed drastically since?

*Edit:
Just tried a Saturn V launch to orbit in RSS/RO.  
I'm blown away.  The new code is amazing.  Don't get me wrong.
I just wish there was an "Atlas" button.  =)

 

Edited by slaintemaith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, El Sancho said:

I know this isn't an MJ problem, its a KSP issue. I'm just posting here to see if others in our little community have encountered the same -

I am finding that the new version of KSP loads and runs more sluggishly than before the Breaking Ground update. It's like unoptimized code. It takes longer to load, and when the menu appears it freezes the screen for 15-20 seconds. I have checked Settings and it's still the same; I have things turned down a bit from max. Also exiting KSP takes notably longer. Is anyone else seeing this?

While this is pretty off-topic for this thread... Yes, I also notice much slower loading and get micro-freezing on different menu pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A minor issue, I've just noticed:

The compatibility checker will not complain about any KSP version => 1.4 because the OR statement will always return true in this case:

return Versioning.version_major == 1 && ( Versioning.version_minor >= 4 || Versioning.version_minor <= 6 );

I guess, this is actually supposed to be true for any version between 1.4 and 1.6 but then, it needs to be an AND:

return Versioning.version_major == 1 && ( Versioning.version_minor >= 4 && Versioning.version_minor <= 6 );

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Does anyone know how to have all features unlocked from start in this version. The .cfg method just doesn't seem to be working for me. Neither with or without Mecjebforall

 

EDIT: I figured it out! Didn't notice the MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg. Turns out it was overwriting everything else, just do the edits there.

Edited by kwaseksitron123
Solution found

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 9:07 PM, AG5BPilot said:

 

Yes, MM is installed and working.  

 

MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg???  Not sure what that is.  Google thinks I should rename that to deactivate it.  I'll give it a try...

I had the same problem, Turns out you have to do the edits in the MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg. Got it working for me (After approx 150million attempts) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.