[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Okay I got a bug. It's the thing about setting target while mj is doing its thing.

It's not just while using ascent guidance it's everytime he's burning and you set a target. He then just throttles to 100% and refuses to stop until you shut him down.

It's in the latest dev build on the latest KSP and quite easy to reproduce:

-let him execute a maneucer and then set a target while hes burning.

If you need a log I can provide one.

4 hours ago, Niko Wicaksono said:

Hi!

I've some problem here with MechJeb 2.6.0 and 2.6.0-698, it can't dock Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems mod, what should I do?

Well, that's pretty vague. Why don't you tell US why it can't dock? Give a more detailed explanation of the problem.

2 hours ago, Dacan said:

Hi, i 'm using Module manager 2.7.6,  all my mods are loading except mechjeb (2.6.0). Any idea ? Thx.

Make sure your KSP installation doesn't live in Program Files or Program Files (x86)

Other than that, no, nobody has any idea why your MechJeb isn't loading and you should supply logs and any information that might be relevant.

Thanks @Brigadier for saving the day.

Obviously I mentioned a thing I noticed, provided information and offered a log if neccessary. Since that missbehaviour is more then easily reproducable thats it from my side of things. I wont go through the annoying process of uploading a log for every little thing if not neccessary.

Please spare your recommendation of filebin, pastebin or simmilar sites, open up your own thread an play moderator, thanks

3 hours ago, maculator said:

Please spare your recommendation of filebin, pastebin or simmilar sites, open up your own thread an play moderator, thanks

Actually quite a bit of support and bug fixes come from third parties and are generally welcomed by the modders.

Your problem is just as likely to be looked at and if possible, fixed by a contributing developer (such as myself) as it is by Sarbian himself and the odds of that are greatly improved by logs, so @Brigadier is not wrong.

In fact, the OP even states that logs are a requirement as does Sarbian's own signature.

So, yeah. Logs.

On 7.5.2017 at 4:49 AM, maculator said:

I am all chilled unless someone plays police.

I did provide a log when I mentioned the missbehavior. Just because I'm mentioning it again after further investigations doesn't mean I have to provide a log again I think.

So up there is the log, here is what I noticed:

- when mechjeb executes a maneuver and you set a target he throttles up to 100%.

- does for example happen if you use rendezvous autopilot and when hes almost there you set a dockingport on the target vessel as target.

This was just reporting something because I thought others might experience this behaviour too and when they come and check the thread they see that this has been noted and got some intel on how to avoid it, this was not me whining "plz halp got problem, fix now". When every minor report of something you noticed requires a log in advance and a simple "I'll provide a log if neccessary" doesn't do it then I'm out.

1 hour ago, maculator said:

I am all chilled unless someone plays police.

I did provide a log when I mentioned the missbehavior. Just because I'm mentioning it again after further investigations doesn't mean I have to provide a log again I think.

Thank you for providing a log. I did not see that post before so I had no idea that a log existed for incident where you experienced the issue.

I've got a weird bug since downloading the latest dev build.  I was launching a mission to minmus, so I selected 'launch into plane of target" in the Ascent Guidance window.  It launched like normal, on a trajectory into a -6 inclination orbit, but then when it came time to circularize, MJ flips the sign and burns to insert me into a +6 inclination orbit instead.:/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcstvdgyx5xi4kv/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I had a similar issue, but I'm used to that MechJeb is not accurate at the last few m/s of a maneuver burn.

I use a combination of MechJeb and RT FlightComputer, the FC is more accurate at holding the node and I also can set it to "Kill rotation" for the few last m/s to be more accurate (using RCS).

Also I recognized that a maneuver set up to change Apoapsis or Periapsis in a perfect 0° inclination orbit has some "Normal" into it, I have to manually set it to 0 and press update...

Edited by Gordon Dry

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

Also I recognized that a maneuver set up to change Apoapsis or Periapsis in a perfect 0° inclination orbit has some "Normal" into it, I have to manually set it to 0 and press update...

I believe that is because no 0° inclination is really "perfect" unless you have used a cheat. In any event, very small normal adjustments really make almost no difference one way or the other.

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I had a similar issue, but I'm used to that MechJeb is not accurate at the last few m/s of a maneuver burn.

I use a combination of MechJeb and RT FlightComputer, the FC is more accurate at holding the node and I also can set it to "Kill rotation" for the few last m/s to be more accurate (using RCS).

I expect a little deviation from the planned trajectory, but what I'm seeing is it consistently switching the minus for a plus, going from a -6 inclination to a +6.

The normal tweak you're seeing is probably the maneuver correcting for any loss at the apsis you're not trying to change that may happen during the burn.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

20 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I expect a little deviation from the planned trajectory, but what I'm seeing is it consistently switching the minus for a plus, going from a -6 inclination to a +6.

So what happens if you do the opposite? An inclination of 6 degrees? Does it flip that too?

16 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

So what happens if you do the opposite? An inclination of 6 degrees? Does it flip that too?

Inverse plane in my experience.  If I launch to a rend. it places me in a plane that is the negative across the equatorial plane.  (Big Messy RO/RP-0 Dev Install)

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Ok, I did a few test flights to check some possible scenarios.

Launching to a -6 inclination without setting to launch to target plane does the same thing, but launching to +6 works correctly.  However, I tried launching to the target plane of the ship I put in a +6 inclination orbit, and it got weird.  For some reason, even though the target was in a +6 inclination orbit, the new ship launched into a -6 inclination and then flipped to +6 on circularizing.

1 minute ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Ok, I did a few test flights to check some possible scenarios.

Launching to a -6 inclination without setting to launch to target plane does the same thing, but launching to +6 works correctly.  However, I tried launching to the target plane of the ship I put in a +6 inclination orbit, and it got weird.  For some reason, even though the target was in a +6 inclination orbit, the new ship launched into a -6 inclination and then flipped to +6 on circularizing.

If you want to see something really funny try launching into -270°....

I've got a goofy little problem that I'm in the middle of troubleshooting right now. I'm not in full blown "HELP! HERE'S MY LOG!" mode yet, because I'm not discounting the possibility that I've got some kind of mod conflict going on. I've got a space plane that's pretty well balanced in terms of mass distribution and RCS placement, and with an airlock/docking bay done up like the space shuttle at the front of the cargo bay. The spaceplane is built with parts from the latest release of the OPT Space Plane mod. Historically, I've never had a problem with Mechjeb and OPT, along with the plethora of other mods I tend to have installed at any one time. 

The behavior I'm getting is that as the ship is running through the docking autopilot maneuvers, it yaws back and forth in excess of 45 degrees from center in both directions, and will not settle on a bearing throughout the docking maneuvers. It's like Mechjeb can't find its heading. SAS seems to hold position just fine. I've also tested manual translation in all directions and the ship stays stable without any wild oscillations. 

So at this point, I'm just wondering if this has been experienced by others as a result of a conflict with a particular mod, or if there are any known mod conflicts as of the latest version of Mechjeb. 

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. I'm not particularly married to my current save and am not above starting over if necessary. I'll try a few more things and if I get no joy, I'll post a log. 

Thanks!

@jonrd463 I've seen similar behaviour in a variety of spaceplanes recently (not just ones with OPT parts) but mainly in roll oscillations that start out gently but quickly build up to wild tumbling. Some planes can be fixed by playing about with adjusting control authority on the reaction wheels (or just disabling them and relying on RCS) but others I've just had to fly manually instead. Another tactic I've been using to mitigate is turning on fine controls and setting the max velocity on the docking auto-pilot very low (0.2 or so) but at that point it's no longer saving me any time so that's often when I switch over to manual.

The save this is happening in has a HUGE amount of mods so I'm not ready to point a finger at any suspects.

4 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

@jonrd463 I've seen similar behaviour in a variety of spaceplanes recently (not just ones with OPT parts) but mainly in roll oscillations that start out gently but quickly build up to wild tumbling. Some planes can be fixed by playing about with adjusting control authority on the reaction wheels (or just disabling them and relying on RCS) but others I've just had to fly manually instead. Another tactic I've been using to mitigate is turning on fine controls and setting the max velocity on the docking auto-pilot very low (0.2 or so) but at that point it's no longer saving me any time so that's often when I switch over to manual.

The save this is happening in has a HUGE amount of mods so I'm not ready to point a finger at any suspects.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I feel the same way about fingerpointing at this point. It might just mean the blames lies squarely with me for loading so many of them. :D But yeah, I've not had this issue in the past, so it's possible it's a mod. This is a brand new save, so I might just dump it and start over. I haven't really done anything major yet that I'd be afraid to lose.