[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

6 minutes ago, El Sancho said:

RUSM ?!?!?

Seriously, all my saved ships and planes just became unusable?

I'm not sure of the details, but I'd say a "non-backwards compatible format" means that .sfs and .craft files from KSP 1.8+ can't be used on 1.7.3 and before.  There may be an automatic converter for loading 1.7.3 and before .sfs and .craft files (both have a version field, right at the top of the file) but after that conversion, for ever more it would have to run on 1.8+.

Edited by Jacke

4 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I'm not sure of the details, but I'd say a "non-backwards compatible format" means that .sfs and .craft files from KSP 1.8+ can't be used on 1.7.3 and before.  There may be an automatic converter for loading 1.7.3 and before .sfs and .craft files (both have a version field, right at the top of the file) but after that conversion, for ever more it would have to run on 1.8+.

Yup...that's what I've found in my limited testing between 1.8 and 1.7.3.  Can't speak to the presence any converter, though.  I just tried to copy the craft files from one install to the other.  I wonder if there are implications for KerbalX??

Edited by Brigadier

6 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I wonder if there are implications for KerbalX??

There's a KSP version field in KerbalX's search.  But even looking at the few .craft I've uploaded, it doesn't show that field.  However, it must have it as the data field is in the .craft files.

Feature request

Problem

MechJeb's tool menu window can currently be positioned in only a limited number of places on the screen, and all of them are docked to the screen edge.  All conflict with or overlap game functions that can't be moved in flight view (the stock toolbar on the right and top when the upmost widgets are revealed, Kerbal portraits on the bottom or staging on the left).  These can be mitigated to some degree by changing the MechJeb window width to 1 and/or reducing the UI Scale but these aren't ideal solutions since overlaps can still occur and the UI can get too small for easy use.  Putting the MechJeb icon on the AppLauncher toolbar doesn't solve the problem because the tool window still has to appear somewhere. 

Workaround

The only workaround I've found is to put all of the individual MechJeb functions on Blizzy's Toolbar but this creates a dependency and is a lot of work to configure for a new or reinstall.

Potential Solutions

1. A movable MechJeb tools window that can be placed anywhere on the screen, including docked to an edge, similar to Blizzy's.
  2. An expandable stock toolbar icon, similar to Kerbal Engineer Redux.

Thanks for an amazing tool.  I would have a hard time flying without it, especially when I've mastered the basic skills and want to move on to worrying about more complex tasks or game progression.

Has anyone encountered an issue where the Rover Autopilot / Stability Mode sometimes just goes a bit... wrong?  (As in, I turn it on and the rover immediately tries to flip over its own nose.)

This is KSP 1.7.3 and MechJeb 2.8.4.0, though I'm almost sure it started happening sometime in KSP 1.6.1.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere it might have something to do with misaligned reaction wheels - or possibly with things built off Kerbin?  (Certainly the design tested 'okay' right outside KSC, but the same rover built on Mun using GlobalConstruction sure does like being upside-down...)

Well I just uninstalled and then deleted everything. Kerbals not worth playing without mechjeb (and before anyone says anything, yes I learned to do all of the maneuvers long before I even knew mechjeb was a thing). So I'm re-installing and then I'll see if it works this time. If not, I guess I'll just go play something else.

Can I make a feature request for the next MechJeb update?  Can we make it so we can exclude engines from differential throttle changing their thrust limit?  That way we can have high vectoring engines stay at full power to help steer.  Could also add options to, when reducing an engine's throttle, it prioritizes reducing lower thrust engines or lower ISP engines.

39 minutes ago, Nendra said:

Guys, i have a problem. I Installed the MechJeb on KSP 1.8.0, and then when i starts the game, the loading stuck at Part/MassiveBooster, and not moving at all...

MJ is working fine, you have problems with other mods, also sometime when i'm stuck at loading i delete settings, file, i think is ksp problem!

On 10/22/2019 at 6:26 PM, Brigadier said:

Potential Solutions

1. A movable MechJeb tools window that can be placed anywhere on the screen, including docked to an edge, similar to Blizzy's.
  2. An expandable stock toolbar icon, similar to Kerbal Engineer Redux.

I agree that the windows is getting a bit large. Right now I can not spend too much time on MJ UI. I will have less free time to code for a while and I would rather spend it on SmokeScreen and a new MJ UI (MJ still uses the old Unity UI system and the performance is just terrible but don't hold your breath since it will take a while). So if someone provide a PR I will gladly merge it or you will have to wait until I get some time to at least code point 1. You may want to open an issue on github to remind me about it/

12 hours ago, traisjames said:

Can I make a feature request for the next MechJeb update?  Can we make it so we can exclude engines from differential throttle changing their thrust limit?  That way we can have high vectoring engines stay at full power to help steer.  Could also add options to, when reducing an engine's throttle, it prioritizes reducing lower thrust engines or lower ISP engines.

Actually KSP added a feature a while ago that makes that easier to do but as I just stated I do not have as much time as I want. Open a issue on Github and I ll do it when I get some time.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:32 AM, Elro2k said:

Does the 1.8 update still have the "Mechjeb for all" functionality? When I load up a game in 1.8 I cant seem to get Mechjeb on a craft without adding that additional Mechjeb part.

need ModuleManager as well.

32 minutes ago, Nendra said:

@Acvila But, i found our that MechJeb Is Exactly the problem. When i uninstalled MechJeb after that, Kerbal Space Program start-up normally again... Help Guys...

KSo2rCI.png

Stuck at loading screen while MechJeb is installed. Help...

i don't know, i have over 30 mods including MJ2 and i have no problem... try dev version... do a check of file integrity, upload log file for devs to check, manually delete mj2 files from game data, check module manager version.

@sarbianThis is the Log:

[LOG 17:18:54.713] ******* Log Initiated for Kerbal Space Program - 1.8.0.2686 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us *******
Kerbal Space Program - 1.8.0.2686 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us

[Complete log snipped]

Edited by James Kerman
redacted by a moderator

Hello @Nendra,

I have removed your complete log because huge posts like that tend to cause thread loading problems for some members and make the forum difficult to view on mobile devices. You can use a hosting service like dropbox or google docs to upload the log.txt file and then link it here in the forum. I apologize for any inconvenience.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, Nendra said:

This is the Log:

It would have been better to share the file on dropbox ort something like that.

But the result is the same:

[LOG 17:18:57.955] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\ModuleManager.2.6.25.dll
[LOG 17:18:57.997] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\ModuleManager.3.1.1.dll
[LOG 17:18:57.999] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.001] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\AttitudeAdjuster\AttitudeAdjuster.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.003] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\BetterBurnTime\BetterBurnTime.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.004] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\Atmosphere.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.005] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\CelestialShadows.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.006] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\CityLights.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.007] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\EVEManager.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.009] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\PartFX.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.010] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\PQSManager.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.011] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\ShaderLoader.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.013] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\Terrain.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.014] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\TextureConfig.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.016] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\Utils.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.017] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\Plugins\_BuildManager.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.019] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\KerbalJointReinforcement\Plugin\KerbalJointReinforcement.dll
[LOG 17:18:58.021] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Breaking Ground\GameData\Squad\Plugins\KSPSteamCtrlr.dll

You have 3 different version of ModuleManager, none of them the version that works for KSP 1.8. Then you have AttitudeAdjuster, BetterBurnTime, EVE and KerbalJointReinforcement which are also not build for 1.8. 

Edited by sarbian

38 minutes ago, sarbian said:

You have 3 different version of ModuleManager, none of then the version that works for KSP 1.8. Then you have AttitudeAdjuster, BetterBurnTime, EVE and KerbalJointReinforcement which are also not build for 1.8.

(I am not laughing, I am not laughing, I am not laughing)  Hahahahahahaha!

Sarbian, I salute your patience.

Why is it that those who most loudly insist that MJ must be the problem, always turn out to have not done their basic homework? Yes, I know, I'm being unkind, but seriously...

1 minute ago, El Sancho said:

MJ must be the problem

And to make this clear to everyone: MJ is not the problem but it calls some stock KSP code that loads and enumerate all Dll class. If a dll was not build for 1.8 it will trigger an exception. I can "fix" MJ to not prevent the game from loading but it would just hide the problem under the rug. 

58 minutes ago, sarbian said:

. I can "fix" MJ to not prevent the game from loading but it would just hide the problem under the rug. 

If this allows the game to load saving equipment on built ships, it will allow to wait for the final decision saving career.

8 hours ago, sarbian said:

And to make this clear to everyone: MJ is not the problem but it calls some stock KSP code that loads and enumerate all Dll class. If a dll was not build for 1.8 it will trigger an exception. I can "fix" MJ to not prevent the game from loading but it would just hide the problem under the rug. 

As much as I agree with that sentiment - should MechJeb care?  It seems out of scope, and there is a mod for checking for DLL loading errors:

8 hours ago, sarbian said:

KJR Continued is built targeting KSP 1.3.1 and after testing it together with the latest MJ release, I didn't see any exceptions.

34 minutes ago, DStaal said:

As much as I agree with that sentiment - should MechJeb care?  It seems out of scope, and there is a mod for checking for DLL loading errors:

6 of one half a dozen of the other really. A broken mod is a broken mod, and let's face it, mj had a bigger user base.