[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

5 hours ago, Cataclism said:

I´d like to say I´m interested in translating it to that language (brazilian PT)

Hi and welcome. Unfortunately translation is not really possible with MJ currently. The current old UI is already bad for performance and adding the translation on top of it would make it worse. I have been working on a new UI but it is going on very slowly and I do not expect it to be out anytime soon. When this new UI is done it will be easy to translate MJ in any language.

Edited by sarbian

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

When using the docking autopilot, one of the things I wish I had was a button that paused the docking and left the docking ship at zero relative motion to the target ship. I've had cases where I need to have engineers EVA and do some things before docking, and cases where I just wanted to park a ship near the station for a while (like a case where I built half of a mission vehicle in orbit and lifted the lighter half, and docked them once the orbital building was done). A nice zero relative motion button would be something I think many people would find useful.

Go to the rendeveuz autopilot. I think it does that. 

Or use the transfer window. Kill relative velocity.

3 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Go to the rendeveuz autopilot. I think it does that. 

Or use the transfer window. Kill relative velocity.

Rendezvous Autopilot gets you within the distance you set and and shuts down and it's not always at zero relative velocity when it shuts off.  The option @vossiewulf wants is the SmartRCS "Zero Relative Velocity" this will prevent the ship drifting relative to the target. Turn off the docking pilot and switch on the SmartRCS and your craft won't drift even as you shift focus to other ships or Kerbals on EVA. MechJeb seems to work for all craft within the physics range.

Honestly I gave up on the docking autopilot, all it seemed to accomplish was dumping all the monopropellant overboard as soon as possible. Even the Zero Relative Velocity SmartRCS can do this on some designs or if you have high relative velocities.

I use SmartASS > TGT > PAR- to align the docking ports and then use the Docking Port Alignment Indicator to manually dock. Using the Force Roll option in SmartAss will usually get the craft docked with no misalignment at the docking port. Using this method has cut my monopropellant needs to the point I don't add any monopropellant over what's in the command pod for most smaller craft. This wasn't the case using the docking autopilot.

The other aspect is to use MechJeb on the target craft to keep the target stable. For my stations this is SmartASS > ADV > Sun Refernce > Down Direction > Force Roll 270. Keeps the station stable, points my solar panels at the sun and aligns the station with the orbital camera view to make EVAs less confusing. For docking two small craft I usually just have it set to KILL ROT, but any function that keeps the target stable is works. 

6 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Rendezvous Autopilot gets you within the distance you set and and shuts down and it's not always at zero relative velocity when it shuts off.  The option @vossiewulf wants is the SmartRCS "Zero Relative Velocity" this will prevent the ship drifting relative to the target. Turn off the docking pilot and switch on the SmartRCS and your craft won't drift even as you shift focus to other ships or Kerbals on EVA. MechJeb seems to work for all craft within the physics range.

Honestly I gave up on the docking autopilot, all it seemed to accomplish was dumping all the monopropellant overboard as soon as possible. Even the Zero Relative Velocity SmartRCS can do this on some designs or if you have high relative velocities.

I use SmartASS > TGT > PAR- to align the docking ports and then use the Docking Port Alignment Indicator to manually dock. Using the Force Roll option in SmartAss will usually get the craft docked with no misalignment at the docking port. Using this method has cut my monopropellant needs to the point I don't add any monopropellant over what's in the command pod for most smaller craft. This wasn't the case using the docking autopilot.

The other aspect is to use MechJeb on the target craft to keep the target stable. For my stations this is SmartASS > ADV > Sun Refernce > Down Direction > Force Roll 270. Keeps the station stable, points my solar panels at the sun and aligns the station with the orbital camera view to make EVAs less confusing. For docking two small craft I usually just have it set to KILL ROT, but any function that keeps the target stable is works. 

Thanks, I'll look at SmartRCS. And the idea of using MJ to stabilize the station is something I've never thought of, I've always just left RCS and SAS on, and I've never looked at SmartASS for alignment. And yes the Rendezvous Autopilot very rarely if ever leaves the relative velocity at zero, and it certainly doesn't help when you want to move the docking ship to a specific location and then park it relative to the station. I just had a need to expand my station by adding a 2.5m docking hub and because I can't ever do anything the easy way that meant lining up a 150 ton ship with an existing module and then parking it exactly 3m from the existing module with absolutely zero relative motion, so an engineer could EVA and take a 2,5m docking port off the front of the ship and attach it to the existing module. I did it on the first try, but it really wasn't easy and was only possible because I've spent a bunch of time manually docking big things in orbit. Newer players wouldn't have a chance of doing something like that.

JJ9jjAR.png

I'm absolutely not complaining, just checking...

I notice no new builds since 801 at https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev

If that's because there are no new builds for the last two months, all well & good, version 800 is still working fine for me. I'm just wondering if the website has changed or something - I got "left behind" like that once before...

27 minutes ago, El Sancho said:

If that's because there are no new builds for the last two months, all well & good, version 800 is still working fine for me. I'm just wondering if the website has changed or something - I got "left behind" like that once before...

No new build. Not much time/will on my side, no need for the KSP patches and no one else contributed.

42 minutes ago, sarbian said:

and no one else contributed

thats maybe less than 1% in this forum have your skills to handle this beauty

but always ready to test some situations(much mj xp)if that helps

46 minutes ago, sarbian said:

No new build. Not much time/will on my side, no need for the KSP patches

Hey enjoy ur freetime its summer and better before get burned out-

thanks for all u done ,for the community like MJ,debug stuff and.so on

Hello there :)
I find a trouble into the 801 version.
When you use auto-landing the horizontal speed stay to hight so you tip over.
RCS and SAS activated after landing are good but in case you don't have RCS, this seems to add more trouble than fixe them :)

I have been back in the current version and landing working fine on minmuns with 1.4.5 :)

I love what you have done in this mod, this is sooo awesome

2 hours ago, Fitz0uille said:

RCS and SAS activated after landing are good but in case you don't have RCS, this seems to add more trouble than fixe them :)

I have been back in the current version and landing working fine on minmuns with 1.4.5 :)

I ran into the horizontal speed issue. It seems to be exacerbated by having the cg offset from the thrust line. This results in a torque that turns into a sideways vector. Any asymmetry at all will result in horizontal velocity building up in the direction of the cg offset. Just to see what it would do, I had one landing get up to 30m/s sideways at just a couple meters above the ground until it hit an uphill slope change and exploded. I also found that the RCS activation at touchdown to be the final nail in the coffin, usually sending my landing cartwheeling.

It also seemed that the touchdown speed setting may be a total velocity and not just a vertical velocity, but I haven't looked into to this deeply. As soon as the horizontal speed exceeded the setting for landing speed, the lander seemed to go into a hover sliding along the surface and not actually touching down, but it may just be going downhill faster than the touchdown speed. 

I ended up downloading and recompiling Mechjeb locally. Fixed it for me, now my landers will land and plant just about anywhere with no fuss. A 17 degree slope is the steepest I've landed on the Mun since my change. Before I would worry about anything more than about 4-5 degrees. 

Based on comments in the code the behavior was by design to help tall skinny landers and the changes I implemented locally were in direct opposition to this scheme. #801 has Translatatron Kill H/S disabled in final descent and enables SmartRCS at touchdown. I reversed these and got better behavior for me, so instead of trying to guess what mode to use in the code, make them options for the user on the landing guidance menu. Enable/disable Translatatron Kill H/S during final descent and enable/disable SmartRCS at touchdown. I do still leave SmartASS in SURF -> UP after touchdown, but full Mechjeb shutdown at landing might be an option

Also it would be nice if Mechjeb could use RCS thrusters in the stock precision mode or have the ability to dial down the control authority. Have a user controllable limiter, i.e. let me limit Mechjeb to whatever percentage of full RCS thrust I want. With light weight designs full thrust RCS inputs from Mechjeb often seem to be too much and It seems to fight itself trying to maintain stability as it gets into a MechJeb induced oscillation. 

I haven't tried any gui changes, just flipping some logicals in the code. I would submit changes, but don't really know what I'm doing. I just started following the tutorials for mod development on this forum to get to where I'm at. Until I decided to look into this I'd never used github, C#, Visual Studio, or tried to compile a .dll. The only college level programming course I had was in assembly I took as an elective 30 years ago. I do code for work, but its a code base that dates to the early 80s all C and FORTRAN gnu tools from the command line, so I don't really know about modern tools.

6 hours ago, Fitz0uille said:

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I ran into the horizontal speed issue. It seems to be exacerbated by having the cg offset from the thrust line. This results in a torque that turns into a sideways vector. Any asymmetry at all will result in horizontal velocity building up in the direction of the cg offset. Just to see what it would do, I had one landing get up to 30m/s sideways at just a couple meters above the ground until it hit an uphill slope change and exploded. I also found that the RCS activation at touchdown to be the final nail in the coffin, usually sending my landing cartwheeling.

It also seemed that the touchdown speed setting may be a total velocity and not just a vertical velocity, but I haven't looked into to this deeply. As soon as the horizontal speed exceeded the setting for landing speed, the lander seemed to go into a hover sliding along the surface and not actually touching down, but it may just be going downhill faster than the touchdown speed. 

I ended up downloading and recompiling Mechjeb locally. Fixed it for me, now my landers will land and plant just about anywhere with no fuss. A 17 degree slope is the steepest I've landed on the Mun since my change. Before I would worry about anything more than about 4-5 degrees. 

Based on comments in the code the behavior was by design to help tall skinny landers and the changes I implemented locally were in direct opposition to this scheme. #801 has Translatatron Kill H/S disabled in final descent and enables SmartRCS at touchdown. I reversed these and got better behavior for me, so instead of trying to guess what mode to use in the code, make them options for the user on the landing guidance menu. Enable/disable Translatatron Kill H/S during final descent and enable/disable SmartRCS at touchdown. I do still leave SmartASS in SURF -> UP after touchdown, but full Mechjeb shutdown at landing might be an option

Also it would be nice if Mechjeb could use RCS thrusters in the stock precision mode or have the ability to dial down the control authority. Have a user controllable limiter, i.e. let me limit Mechjeb to whatever percentage of full RCS thrust I want. With light weight designs full thrust RCS inputs from Mechjeb often seem to be too much and It seems to fight itself trying to maintain stability as it gets into a MechJeb induced oscillation. 

I haven't tried any gui changes, just flipping some logicals in the code. I would submit changes, but don't really know what I'm doing. I just started following the tutorials for mod development on this forum to get to where I'm at. Until I decided to look into this I'd never used github, C#, Visual Studio, or tried to compile a .dll. The only college level programming course I had was in assembly I took as an elective 30 years ago. I do code for work, but its a code base that dates to the early 80s all C and FORTRAN gnu tools from the command line, so I don't really know about modern tools.

I have / had this same problem as well.

I went back through the previous versions to try and find out where it started or came from.

From my testing, I am now using #799.  #801, with all of the changes to landing and such seems to have borked.

The problem manifests itself, as stated above, during the transition from de-acceleration flight to final vertical descent.  the "show landing predictions / show trajectory" shows a wicked inflection point at the transition from powered descent burn to final vertical descent.  The projected descent path shows what looks like a polynomial fit curve that has too many degrees of freedom.  Thus the craft hits the transition point and most times actually goes back up before starting final descent.

And there certainly is the major point/problem with the desired landing point starting to move on its own as you do final vertical descent burn.  to the point of the craft crashing due to horizontal speed.

I have been able to get around this, same as stated above, by killing MJ and doing final part by hand, but i much prefer MJ handling this for me, thus why i went back to build 799.

I will retest 800 (don't know why i am not using it, must have just missed it) and i am guessing it will work as 799.

Thanks to sarbian for making this mod and to all who are working together to keep it going.

From the time i found MJ, it has always been my first mod to add to new installs. 

cheers to all. 

I had read some things in this thread but has n ot found a clear answer: doesn`t MJ work with ksp 1.4.5? Because the ascent guidance isn`t working well for me. The Navball is upside down when I activate the ascent-path. Also: after one flight with using MJ the launchers flips around and KSP does stop working (I must restart KSP).

On 8/12/2018 at 6:36 AM, Tonka Crash said:

Honestly I gave up on the docking autopilot [....]

FWIW I've never used it either.  Using the TGT mode on SMART.A.S.S. on both sides.

My preferred docking indicator is Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE (its more lightweight UI than the Docking Port Alignment Indicator which has its own window, but it may take more getting used to).  I use MJ rendezvous stuff to get within about 100m, and then either setup the TGT mode on both sides (using RCS on the station to rotate the station so its trivial to dock) or else I just fly it manual with the docking indicator on the navball (it just takes some getting used to training your fingers how to push the navball indicator around).

This is one of those things that I'd suggest HyperEdit'ing some ships into orbit and playing around with docking until you can do it "manually" (by which I mean using MJ but without using the docking autopilot).  With SmartASS on both sides all you have to do is use MJ to get close and kill relative velocity and then just worry about closing speed and little puffs of translation to keep things perfectly aligned.  And if you don't know about the HNIJKL keys for RCS control then learn about them.  H/N is all about managing relative velocity, and then IJKL is all about getting your closing velocity to line up perfectly with the docking port.  As you orbit during the maneuver your velocity vector will drift slightly (just due to orbital mechanics) so you do need to use IJKL to keep perfectly aligned.  Once you get used to it, you should be able to stop "cheating" with SmartASS on the station if you like and be able to position your craft over an arbitrary docking port and use the indicator to dock.

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

I had read some things in this thread but has n ot found a clear answer: doesn`t MJ work with ksp 1.4.5? Because the ascent guidance isn`t working well for me. The Navball is upside down when I activate the ascent-path. Also: after one flight with using MJ the launchers flips around and KSP does stop working (I must restart KSP).

I run KSP v1.4.5 (but on a GPP+GEP install) and MechJeb, including ascent guidance, works perfectly for me.  I have not tried it on a stock 1.4.5 but I see no reason it should not work.  I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs, but have you started with a clean KSP v1.4.5 and added MechJeb to reproduce the error?  If that configuration works, add your mods a little at a time to see when it gives you the bad behaviour.

Edited by Brigadier

8 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Seems to be working for me in 1.4.5, I think you will have to follow the instructions on the first post to file a bug report if you need more help figuring this out.

The only thing I can think to ask is if you are installing a MJ enabled pod upside down. If your guidance computer thinks the rocket is upside-down it will act upside down just like IRL: 

QUESTION:

I have moved alle the upgrades of MJ case to the Tech Tree Node "Flight Control".

Tried to change their costs but it doesn't work.
I don't want them all to be 15000, but 15000, 30000, 100000, 100000 and 183335. (It's the same rate as research points for unlocking their nodes increase: 45, 90, 300, 300 and 550)

How can I change the costs of the upgrades?

I use the following code.
Alle the upgrades are now at Flight Control node.
But the costs of all are 15000. And not 15000, 30000, 100000, 100000 and 183335 as I want it.
See the code:

Spoiler

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
    TechRequired = flightControl
    entryCost = 15000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
        @MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        @MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features1]
{
    entryCost = 30000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features2]
{
    entryCost = 100000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features3]
{
    entryCost = 100000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features4]
{
    entryCost = 183335

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@Burning Kan That's really bad advice, deleting things without understanding what it may impact is a good way to break the game. Module Manager is required to apply patches, so deleting it will break the game. Did you mean the ModuleManager.ConfigCache? Even that gets replaces when MM detects a change in the patches.

@HappyKerbatron Try the following. Since TechRequired and entryCost already exist for the parts, you need @ before for them to tell module manager to replace the existing values. This is assuming you are doing this through a patch file of your own. The alternative is to just edit the part.cfg file in GameData\MechJeb2\Parts\MechJeb2_AR202. BUT, I don't recommend that as updates to MechJeb would overwrite your changes.

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
    @TechRequired = flightControl
    @entryCost = 15000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features1]
{
    @entryCost = 30000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features2]
{
    @entryCost = 100000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features3]
{
    @entryCost = 100000

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202_features4]
{
    @entryCost = 183335

@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
    }
}

@Tonka Crash

@Burning Kan That's really bad advice, deleting things without understanding what it may impact is a good way to break the game. Module Manager is required to apply patches, so deleting it will break the game. Did you mean the ModuleManager.ConfigCache? Even that gets replaces when MM detects a change in the patches.

Burning Kan meant the ModuleManager.Techtree. You can delete this without any problems because it will be newly created after a new KSP-start.  The only one of the MM-files you must not delete is the ModuleManager.3.0.7.dll