[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

On 9/22/2018 at 12:01 AM, Duke Leto said:

FYI, the Online Manual button in the MechJeb interface now leads not to an online manual but to something called "SecuryBrowse", which wants you to install its extension to Chrome and let it turn into your default browser, which then gives garbage results.

I suspect that the domain registration has lapsed and been scooped up by some shady company.

Thanks for the warning! I rushed a new release to change the link.

• Change the "Online Manual" link to the github wiki since the old site is gone
  • Updated the landing sites list with the one from @El Sancho
  • Improved the landing sim precision (aka "write code with both eyes opened")
  • A bunch of small fixes

Download 2.7.4 for KSP 1.4.1

The Wiki could use some love if some of you want to help.

hi, @sarbian, I am having a small problem using Mechjeb's Advanced Transfer to Another Planet function with asteroids. When trying to use "Limited time" or manually selecting from porkchop plot, I get messages "optimization failed" or "error creating node". One of the messages say to select from porkchop manually, but I'm doing that, and still get the error. Is there a work-around besides manually creating the node from scratch?

Dear Sarbian,

I am, of course, deeply flattered that my humble efforts to work on the LandingSites.cfg file have been deemed adequate for inclusion in an official release. Though I must admit that Negan's Place is a point of no real significance, simply a location where a femme Kerbanaut named Negan needed a rescue ride. Greater Flats is somewhat more meaningful, being the center of a wide-open space near the equator, and thus handy for landings.

The significance of the Desert Runways is obvious, though I would again caution about Desert Runway 36 being dangerous! The terrain feature I have arbitrarily dubbed RUD Ridge, (in homage to the terrain feature in Route Pack 6), makes northward landings at the Desert Site highly dangerous. Perhaps Squad will in some future version of KSP see fit to lower it somewhat, or even eliminate it entirely. The thing is, it's visually deceptive to an extreme; it looks like nothing until the last minute and then you're like, "OH Shhhhhhhiiii - BOOOOOMMM!"

But the real reason for this post is to politely ask about this part at the top of the new LandingSites.cfg file

{
    // If you want to clean up the default site then you'll need an MM patch
    // !MechJeb2Landing:HAS[#id[MechJeb2DefaultLandingSites]] { }
    id = MechJeb2DefaultLandingSites

I suspect the last two lines are to designate this one as the default file, so that if one places a custom file somewhere in /Gamedata that the custom file will be read in preference to this one, but given that my only "education" in coding goes back to the days when we had to chip the bits out of stone one at a time with a codehammer, (kind of like that scene at the beginning of 2001 A Space Odyssey), I thought I would ask...

And the first line, about a Module Manager patch puzzles me entirely. Anyhow, if you have a moment to explain, I would be most appreciative.

1 hour ago, El Sancho said:

Negan's Place is a point of no real significance, simply a location where a femme Kerbanaut named Negan needed a rescue ride. Greater Flats is somewhat more meaningful, being the center of a wide-open space near the equator, and thus handy for landings.

The significance of the Desert Runways is obvious, though I would again caution about Desert Runway 36 being dangerous! The terrain feature I have arbitrarily dubbed RUD Ridge, (in homage to the terrain feature in Route Pack 6), makes northward landings at the Desert Site highly dangerous. Perhaps Squad will in some future version of KSP see fit to lower it somewhat, or even eliminate it entirely. The thing is, it's visually deceptive to an extreme; it looks like nothing until the last minute and then you're like, "OH Shhhhhhhiiii - BOOOOOMMM!"

Thanks for the backstory on Negan's Place; I think it's nice to have little touches like that in mods - your own personal Easter Egg! As for Dessert 36, well this is why we still keep pilots in the cabin, to keep an eye on the things the machinery doesn't or cannot know about.

Speaking of - they're Desert in the file, but that is the Dessert site according to KSP naming convention. A simple enough change for those that feel it necessary.

Edited by JH4C
Ssssss

2 minutes ago, JH4C said:

Thanks for the backstory on Negan's Place; I think it's nice to have little touches like that in mods - your own personal Easter Egg! As for Dessert 36, well this is why we still keep pilots in the cabin, to keep an eye on the things the machinery doesn't or cannot know about.

Well, there was actually a little more to the story. Good old Jeb "Weinstein" Kerman touched down in the Rescue Ranger, Negan came bouncing over and hopped in the passenger seat, and only then noticed the placard on the dashboard saying "Grass, @$$, or monopropellant, nobody rides for free!"

5 hours ago, El Sancho said:

But the real reason for this post is to politely ask about this part at the top of the new LandingSites.cfg file

{
    // If you want to clean up the default site then you'll need an MM patch
    // !MechJeb2Landing:HAS[#id[MechJeb2DefaultLandingSites]] { }
    id = MechJeb2DefaultLandingSites

I suspect the last two lines are to designate this one as the default file, so that if one places a custom file somewhere in /Gamedata that the custom file will be read in preference to this one, but given that my only "education" in coding goes back to the days when we had to chip the bits out of stone one at a time with a codehammer, (kind of like that scene at the beginning of 2001 A Space Odyssey), I thought I would ask...

And the first line, about a Module Manager patch puzzles me entirely. Anyhow, if you have a moment to explain, I would be most appreciative.

The id make it easier to write a MM patch that targets this file. The "!MechJeb2Landing:HAS[#id[MechJeb2DefaultLandingSites]] { }" would delete the content of the file. MJ load all available landing site so if you have 3 files you will end up with the site from all 3 files. For most mods it does not matter but for mods that replace Kerbin (like RSS) you need a way to clean up the irrelevant entries.

I ll clean up your file later :)

7 hours ago, aluc24 said:

hi, @sarbian, I am having a small problem using Mechjeb's Advanced Transfer to Another Planet function with asteroids. When trying to use "Limited time" or manually selecting from porkchop plot, I get messages "optimization failed" or "error creating node". One of the messages say to select from porkchop manually, but I'm doing that, and still get the error. Is there a work-around besides manually creating the node from scratch?

No. It fails to find the solution in the short time frame. I'll have to look into it someday...

@sarbianThe issue, I reported 27 august, is still there. On launchpad, when I activate the ascent navball guidance, on navball will be shown the antitarget instead of target. Till KSP 1.3.x this work for me very well. But since 1.4.x it didn´t work. Screenshot is on page 74, a log on page 73.

38 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

@sarbianThe issue, I reported 27 august, is still there. On launchpad, when I activate the ascent navball guidance, on navball will be shown the antitarget instead of target. Till KSP 1.3.x this work for me very well. But since 1.4.x it didn´t work. Screenshot is on page 74, a log on page 73.

Did you share the vessel file? If not can you? 

16 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Did you share the vessel file? If not can you? 

I can share but it happens with every thing I build (mods and stock), including the stock rockets/shuttles. So it isn`t vessel related.The AR202 is attached radial with antenna up. I installed KSP new for several times, used Mechjeb as the only mod along MM. So there is no mod-conflict.

Same is happening when I show the landing navball guidance. It shows the antitarget instead of target.

Edited by Cheesecake

@sarbian To clarify @Cheesecake's problem. He is trying to use ascent guidance for Navball cues to manually fly the ascent without the autopilot engaged. He and I went back and forth last month with me not understanding the problem he was describing. I verified that the cueing is broken without the AP engaged with a simple craft (Mk1 Capsule, SRB and AR202). I think no one has complained because most people use the autopilot instead of manually flying with mechjeb navball cues.

7 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@sarbian To clarify @Cheesecake's problem. He is trying to use ascent guidance for Navball cues to manually fly the ascent without the autopilot engaged. He and I went back and forth last month with me not understanding the problem he was describing. I verified that the cueing is broken without the AP engaged with a simple craft (Mk1 Capsule, SRB and AR202). I think no one has complained because most people use the autopilot instead of manually flying with mechjeb navball cues.

I was messing  around with a simple one like you described just now, and found that if you diddle the button at top of Ascent Guidance a few times, the purple circle appears, without autopilot actually being engaged. It's the button that says "Show ascent navball guidance" or "Hide ascent navball guidance". If I have misunderstood, and that purple circle isn't what you're looking for, my apologies.

**edit**

I just checked Cheesecake's screenshot on page 74, and it shows the purple triad, not the purple circle I am getting...

Edited by El Sancho

8 hours ago, El Sancho said:

I was messing  around with a simple one like you described just now, and found that if you diddle the button at top of Ascent Guidance a few times, the purple circle appears, without autopilot actually being engaged. It's the button that says "Show ascent navball guidance" or "Hide ascent navball guidance". If I have misunderstood, and that purple circle isn't what you're looking for, my apologies.

**edit**

I just checked Cheesecake's screenshot on page 74, and it shows the purple triad, not the purple circle I am getting...

That`s the problem. It shows antitarget instead of the target. ;)

@sarbian, I have a bit of an unusual request/question.

As part of my upcoming revamp of the SDHI SMS mod, I have a Service Module that combines an engine, a fuel tank and a decoupler, and it is important that all three are integrated into the one and the same part, so I cannot split them up again.

Some of my beta testers have noted that MechJeb displays a delta-V of 0 m/s for this Service Module stage. even though it is a functional engine that does consume fuel.

How does MechJeb determine what parts counts towards the delta-V budget of each stage? Is there a way to manually force my Service Module part report this delta-V information to MechJeb?

24 minutes ago, sumghai said:

How does MechJeb determine what parts counts towards the delta-V budget of each stage? Is there a way to manually force my Service Module part report this delta-V information to MechJeb

I would have to look at how it handles this part but I guess the decoupler is why MJ fails. Can you link the beta package and I ll try to have a look? 

10 hours ago, sarbian said:

I would have to look at how it handles this part but I guess the decoupler is why MJ fails. Can you link the beta package and I ll try to have a look? 

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/archive/7c3064ad99eac2c1a873e86585f36bccbd6214fc.zip

The part in question is GameData/SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_Service_Module/SDHI_Service_Module.cfg.

I'm having a hard time getting Mechjeb to work in my install. Parts show up, logs are clean, I'm missing something. Assumption is that one of my other mods clashes, any ideas?

000_ClickThroughBlocker
001_ToolbarControl
ALCOR_LanderCapsule
ASET
AllYAll
AntennaHelper
BOMPs
BonVoyage
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
CrewRandR
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicUtilities
EasyBoard
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
GPP
GPP_Clouds
GPP_dVmap.png
HGR
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
JanitorsCloset
KIS
KRASH
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
KerbalJointReinforcement
Kerbalism
Kopernicus
MK1CabinHatch
MagiCore
ManeuverNodeEvolved
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.3.0.7.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
NavyFish
Patch_EVE_2D.cfg
SCANsat
ScrapYard
Squad
SquadExpansion
StageRecovery
TrackingStationEvolved
TriggerTech
[x] Science!
scatterer

2 hours ago, MacLuky said:

I'm having a hard time getting Mechjeb to work in my install. Parts show up, logs are clean, I'm missing something. Assumption is that one of my other mods clashes, any ideas?

Are you putting the MechJeb processor part, the AR202, on your rockets, preferably on the Command pod?  Won't work even in the VAB/SPH until you do that.

If that's not it, you'll have to provide logs.  Follow the link in my signature on how to do that.

If it is because of the AR202, you could go partless.  Use a Module Manager script to add MechJeb processors to all Command pods.  That way you'll have MechJeb in the editor as soon as you put in a Command Pod and in flight whenever you have focus on a Command-pod containing vessel.

Here's the Module Manager script I use to add MechJeb to all Command pods and the External Command Seat as well as unlock all functions at Career start.  Needs the mod ModuleManager with the mod Take Command recommended for the External Command Seat to be crewed in the VAB (coming to stock in KSP 1.5).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2qtqbd0rgekyrg/MMJ-MechJeb-MC%2BKS.20180321a.cfg?dl=1

Edited by Jacke