[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

On 4/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, meltedplasticarmyguy said:

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but it's working now.  I downloaded the latest stable Dev build and did the usual routine of changing all the tech to "start" in the config file and upgrading the Communication building fully.  I know of "MJ for all", but I noticed that they were slow on updates a while back, maybe things have changed since then.  I'll give another look.

It's no big deal whether you use that mod or not., it was just the example I used.  Reputable source, but not something that's dependent on KSP version, so I am not surprised at the lack of recent updates.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I logged in to ask if a mechjeb2 update for KSP 1.7 was planned?

I do not speak or write English very well. So I did not have the courage to read the whole forum.

Thank you for your understanding and thank you to the creator of this wonderful mod!

Bruno

2 hours ago, ivarox said:

Hello,

I do not speak or write English very well. So I did not have the courage to read the whole forum.

Thank you for your understanding and thank you to the creator of this wonderful mod!

Bruno

Good day. There is a test version of Mechjeb that works for 1.7. You can try it by installing from CKAN (using the "dev" list) or https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/883/

@ivarox If you use CKAN you can add the DEV branch to it. From the first post in this thread.

CKAN has all the release of MechJeb.

If you want the dev version of MechJeb then :

• open CKAN settings (Settings => CKAN Settings)
  • press the New button
  • select the MechJeb-dev line, click OK and exit the options.
  • refresh
  • select "Mechjeb2 - DEV RELEASE" in the list and then "Go to Change" to install

•  

Hi @sarbian

This is just the best mod ever, makes life in KSP so much more enjoyable at times, although have run into a small issue with the aircraft autopilot.

Works for most of my spaceplanes, however was trying to perform basic turns with this https://kerbalx.com/Raptor9/SR-21A-Phoenix and the autopilot went mad...

It just constant keeps pitching the nose up an down getting progressively worse over time whist the throttle keeps going from 0% to 100% at the same time.

Is this a bug with the autopilot? or is it the design of the craft cannot be handled by MechJeb?? 

Have tried performing the same turns and maneuvers using Smart A.S.S and stock S.A.S and it works perfectly???

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated :D

Many thanks from a long time fan and user of MechJeb...

Edited by spoonyboobah

14 hours ago, ivarox said:

I just got back from a 4 weeks trip so I ll have an official release out soon.

16 minutes ago, spoonyboobah said:

Is this a bug with the autopilot? or is it the design of the craft cannot be handled by MechJeb?? 

The current airplane AP has some issues with specific designs. I need to rollback some part of the code while keeping other improvement and I just need to find the time and will...

1 minute ago, sarbian said:

I just got back from a 4 weeks trip so I ll have an official release out soon.

The current airplane AP has some issues with specific designs. I need to rollback some part of the code while keeping other improvement and I just need to find the time and will...

Thanks for the quick response @sarbian

If this is any help for debugging the problem in the AP logic.

I have been experimenting with lots of designs, and the most common issue I have found is particularly caused with SABRE engine designs.

For example, Raptor9 on KerbalX made two designs of the same plane, one with Whiplash engines the other with SABRE's. Both have the cockpit far forward of the control surfaces similar to the design i posted earlier...

https://kerbalx.com/Raptor9/TR-9-Archangel -- Whiplash engines

https://kerbalx.com/Raptor9/SR-9-Archangel -- SABRE engines

With the 'TR-9' the AP does not go crazy with pitching up and down and throttling 0 to max, yet with the SR-9 it does.

2 hours ago, spoonyboobah said:

Hi @sarbian

It just constant keeps pitching the nose up an down getting progressively worse over time whist the throttle keeps going from 0% to 100% at the same time.

Sounds ironically quite like the problems with the 737-Max8 which led to that aircraft type being grounded. Boeing stretched the fuselage to increase the range, and added new engines which were heavier and more powerful. This led to relocating the wing to a less-than-ideal position, which could lead to nose-up problems and eventual stall. Boeing then installed a special autopilot module to push the nose down under certain conditions, with the intention that this should counter the nose-up problems, but they had this module keyed to a single sensor, with no redundancy. And they told the airlines that pilots would need no new training.

So the single sensor malfunctioned, the special autopilot module pushed the nose down and down, and the pilots had no idea what was going on, because they had never been trained about this or even told that the module existed. Aside from the two incidents which led to crashes, there were other incidents which did not lead to crashes because the pilots simply turned off the autopilot.

Ahem, back on topic, I would then ask what is different about the SABRE engines? I have never used them, but what makes them unique?

45 minutes ago, El Sancho said:

Sounds ironically quite like the problems with the 737-Max8

Ah ah. I was going to make a similar observation but I did not want to start a Boing-Airbus war here :)

So i need a little fix'em.

For the longest time, i had a custom patch made for MJ. It would simply enable all MJ features in career, at the first node of the tech tree. Simple.

[code]@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{     
MODULE
 {
 name = MechJebCore
 MechJebLocalSettings {
 MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
 }
 }[/code]

But, and i cannot tell if it's 1.7.0, or if it's a mod or two doing this, with the patch applied, it seems to be back to normal, unlocking individual features on different nodes.

Could it have something to do with the Restock mod i have installed? Or some other mod with similar functionality?

Edit:

Oh well, i managed to fix it, by tampering with the MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg.

Edited by lekkimsm2500

On 5/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, DomiKamu said:

Where have do you seen this 2.8.3.0 Dev #883 is working against KSP 1.7.0?

On 4/12/2019 at 5:25 AM, sarbian said:

It was build on 1.7. I did not expect it to break with 1.6

I'll see what I can do but I am 9600km from my home for 10 more days and fixing this from a phone is... perilous. 

I just realized this is the wrong thread (or maybe it is, idk) but i don't know how to delete my post but i'd rather keep it and get some suggestions.

Is there already a function or mod that allows ground vehicles to follow your craft. If there isn't i would like to try and learn Unity over the summer break and hopefully start development of a mod that may utilize MechJeb to have other crafts follow the player in formations. I wanted to get the developer of MechJeb's permission before i start planning and starting a thread for development. But seriously... how awesome would it be to lead an army of tanks. 

Edited by OPBlue

2 hours ago, OPBlue said:

I just realized this is the wrong thread (or maybe it is, idk) but i don't know how to delete my post but i'd rather keep it and get some suggestions.

Is there already a function or mod that allows ground vehicles to follow your craft. If there isn't i would like to try and learn Unity over the summer break and hopefully start development of a mod that may utilize MechJeb to have other crafts follow the player in formations. I wanted to get the developer of MechJeb's permission before i start planning and starting a thread for development. But seriously... how awesome would it be to lead an army of tanks. 

TCA by Allista

On 4/24/2019 at 7:18 AM, sarbian said:

Ah ah. I was going to make a similar observation but I did not want to start a Boing-Airbus war here :)

Boeing is perfectly capable of grounding it's own planes, thanks. 

8 hours ago, Bosun said:

Boeing is perfectly capable of grounding it's own planes, thanks. 

Airbus has had its own flight-control issues, in case you've forgotten. See, e.g., AF296, AF447 and AA587. 

No need to rehash these things in a KSP forum.

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

Airbus has had its own flight-control issues, in case you've forgotten. See, e.g., AF296, AF447 and AA587. 

No need to rehash these things in a KSP forum.

Eeeeeh, my fault! I introduced the topic, but please please please let's not get into a flame war over this.

These forums have been so very polite and cordial for so very long, and that has set the tone for the whole KSP/MJ community. We are nice to each other. We are patient and helpful with each other, We are brothers and sisters in arms, (or at least cousins). Please, I beg of you, let's not lose that now. Please. Especially not over two corporations.

Hello, 

Absolutely love this mod, i do have a slight issue/question id like some help with, im trying to auto land a rocket back on the launch pad after orbit using MJ dev build.. just I can never get thaaat close to the target. 

I used to remember MJ landing on a pin head in the g.o.d... 

My question is, is it known that MJ can no longer land that accurately (due to physics updates i assume), or is this a problem only im getting and something i could look to fix. . . .

Cheers in advance, :) 

3 hours ago, H4LPiN said:

My question is, is it known that MJ can no longer land that accurately (due to physics updates i assume), or is this a problem only im getting and something i could look to fix. . . .

It is not precise since the aerodynamic was updated a long time ago. I guess it could be fixed but  I don't really want to add a dependency to an other mod or copy/paste code.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, @sarbian

I think I can see what you mean, dependency would be a shame and could cause complications I guess.

I don't write code myself, but if it was just a case of copy and pasting or something I would say it would be a shame to not see good landing again.

Who doesn't want auto-Space X style landings... (if grid fins bring a whole new dynamic, then id be ecstatic just with rockets & no fins landing where you ask them) 

I kinda assumed it would be really hard to fix tbh if it was code related.

anyway thanks again dude. saved me wasting any more time trying to get it to work. :)

Edited by H4LPiN

9 hours ago, H4LPiN said:

Known issues.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/1052

I have eventual plans, but they are very large.