[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

This is just a quick fish to see if this is only a me thing.  I have been out of pocket for awhile.  I believe I am current on all my mods.  Mechjeb does not appear to using the full range of inputs for yaw pitch roll change.  It will initially do a max change on the input, but the indicators will then be near center.  With time, it does line up with the Node when using SAS or Execute Next Node, but it is much slower than it would be if it used the full command authority.  Any obvious flags before I do a deeper dive?

Edited by Montag
stupid typo

On 1/28/2020 at 4:05 PM, Montag said:

This is just a quick fish to see if this is only a me thing.  I have been out of pocket for awhile.  I believe I am current on all my mods.  Mechjeb does not appear to using the full range of inputs for yaw pitch roll change.  It will initially do a max change on the input, but the indicators will then be near center.  With time, it does line up with the Node when using SAS or Execute Next Node, but it is much slower than it would be if it used the full command authority.  Any obvious flags before I do a deeper dive?

Go into the Attitude Controller and under the Hybrid Controller tweak the MaxStoppingTime up to 10.0 or so, or just include a lot more reaction wheels on your vessel.  Once you do that, though, you will waste a lot of RCS if you have a vessel using primarily RCS.

On 1/30/2020 at 9:10 PM, joaohm said:

Hello, is there a way to make mechjeb only work if the probe has any kind of signal, or if there is a pilot onboard?

Hi joaohm, i m not expert, but you can check the options when creating the save you play. There is some about transmission. And there is a mod calld remotetech.

Hope it help.

8 hours ago, Xd the great said:

I have been out of the loop for a while, but is the autopilot plane lander broke?

More or less. The plane controls go wild with most planes. I need to revert an old patch to even older code but I keep forgetting about it when I have the time...

On 1/30/2020 at 9:10 PM, joaohm said:

Hello, is there a way to make mechjeb only work if the probe has any kind of signal, or if there is a pilot onboard?

Not currently. It s been asked for a few time but no one stepped in to write the code.

Can't live without the usefulness of MechJeb.. but there is one thing that I can't seem to find an answer for that hopefully someone can help me with. I can't figure out when it decides to memorize which window is on the screen and how to change that. 

For example right now whenever I go to Launch, the mechjeb Landing Guidance window is already on the screen. I'm sure I put it there at some point, but don't want it being there when I go to launch. What I do want to popup at launch is the Maneuver Planner - which right now I have to open each time manually after closing the landing window. 

Can't find any preference setting for this... can that be changed via gui? or if not via settings file?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Can't live without the usefulness of MechJeb.. but there is one thing that I can't seem to find an answer for that hopefully someone can help me with. I can't figure out when it decides to memorize which window is on the screen and how to change that. 

For example right now whenever I go to Launch, the mechjeb Landing Guidance window is already on the screen. I'm sure I put it there at some point, but don't want it being there when I go to launch. What I do want to popup at launch is the Maneuver Planner - which right now I have to open each time manually after closing the landing window. 

Can't find any preference setting for this... can that be changed via gui? or if not via settings file?

Thanks!

I doubt if there is a way that works, just get the settings windows where you want them every time you fly. Sooner or later, hopefully, mechjeb will memorize it.

1 minute ago, Xd the great said:

I doubt if there is a way that works, just get the settings windows where you want them every time you fly. Sooner or later, hopefully, mechjeb will memorize it.

Ya... that's not how it works for sure... I have had hundreds (thousands) of flight with window open that I only opened once and constantly have to close settings and reopen them. I guess I can uninstall and delete any prefs, but I would assume SOMEONE on here knows what file that setting sits in.

An enhancement suggestion... for consideration in your copious free time when you retire in a couple of decades... or hmm... maybe I should demand that someone do this for free in the next few hours. :-)

It would be nice if landing guidance could do staging. I reasonably often find myself with some extra delta-v in the stage before my lander after I set up in orbit for a landing. I'd like to be able to use that delta-v during de-orbit and braking, before dropping that stage. Unless I'm missing something (which I suppose is possible), McJeb can't do that. I could, of course, just manually do that early part and then let McJeb take over, but that doesn't let me take advantage of McJeb's targeting when I want to land at a specified place (which I usually do - like next to some base of mine). I sometimes start a landing with McJeb and then manually stage when needed, but that's a good way to crash land, particularly if the thrust-to-weight of the two stages differ. Another variant way to crash land a fair fraction of the times is to abort the landing guidance halfway down, stage, and then restart the guidance. SOme might consider quicksave to be "cheating", but I do it before trying either of those methods.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:05 AM, Montag said:

Mechjeb does not appear to using the full range of inputs for yaw pitch roll change

Noticed that as well for years. Might be related to old issue #1162, MJ doesn't use reaction wheels to the extend possible/required. 

My workaround: disable MJ, orient the craft using stock SAS, reenable MJ.

Edited by VoidSquid

On 1/30/2020 at 1:19 AM, Jim DiGriz said:

Go into the Attitude Controller and under the Hybrid Controller tweak the MaxStoppingTime up to 10.0 or so, or just include a lot more reaction wheels on your vessel.  Once you do that, though, you will waste a lot of RCS if you have a vessel using primarily RCS.

13 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Noticed that as well for years. Might be related to old issue #1162, MJ doesn't use reaction wheels to the extend possible/required. 

My workaround: disable MJ, orient the craft using stock SAS, reenable MJ.

Jim DiGriz comment was successful.  I am in the middle stage of a career and do not have everything unlocked so designs can be clunky.  I will use the MaxStoppingTime of 10 until I start using RCS for fine tuning and get more SAS modules.  I appreciate the responses.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, LTQ90 said:

Hi joaohm, i m not expert, but you can check the options when creating the save you play. There is some about transmission. And there is a mod calld remotetech.

Hope it help.

Thanks for the reply LTQ90, even with the options on the hardest, mechjeb can still control the ships (unless it runs out of energy).

On 2/1/2020 at 6:17 PM, sarbian said:

Not currently. It s been asked for a few time but no one stepped in to write the code.

Thats so sad, I think it should be easy to make that code, maybe just a line saying it should turn itself off when there is no signal, and turn on when there is signal or a pilot onboard...

@sarbian A question, is there an option to see what your current throttle is instead of having to sort of guess from the position of the throttle on the navball?  If I want to set my throttle to exactly 42% is there a way to see that in Mechjeb? I've looked and can't find one, I found a TWR at current throttle, and things like that, but I'm just looking for a pure throttle percent readout.

If not, would it be possible to add such a feature? If not, totally understand, just thought I'd ask. 

Alright. The time has come, with some trepidation, to crosspost this one here:

FAR alone seems fine and there is little help to be had over there anyway, at least since ferram4 went AWOL. So I now I must humbly poke @sarbian with a pointy stick and ask why adding MechJeb to a happy little FAR install is bringing me such hurt.

Any ideas? It looks like an unfortunate interaction to me, rather than solely a FAR bug.

So MechJeb can do auto landings if it has the runway coordinates but it looks like the only coordinates it has are for a couple of the default/stock runways (which makes sense).  I was wondering if anyone ever created a path/ cfg file that has the RSS runways in it for use with MechJeb.

9 minutes ago, DrFrost86 said:

All the content in the gamedata folder? so simple?

You should end up with a structure that looks exactly like <your game folder>/GameData/MechJeb2/<MJ files>.  On a Windows system, you simply drag the GameData folder in the MechJeb download into your KSP folder.  Avoid at all costs anything that results in a /GameData/GameData/MechJeb2 structure.  Do not rename any mod folder under GameData as this causes mods to fail.

Read this thread if you still have questions.

Edited by Brigadier
Clarity

I have another quick Rover question... is there any known problem with the loading of routes?

Basically if I lay out a route of waypoints it all seems fine.  Then I can save it, fine, the waypoints look correct in the mechjeb_routes.cfg file.  Then, if I *load* a route, in the actual waypoints list it becomes garbage (right number of waypoints, wildly incorrect positions).  (If I actually edit the .sfs file and paste the waypoints from the routes file into the waypoints node in the MechJeb module on the vessel, the correct route comes out...)

Is this just me?