[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

On 2/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, Bodo said:

Question regarding the Bi-impulsive transfer.

How is this supposed to work?  What does the period offset do?

I ask because when I use it to get to the Mun or Minmus it puts me in a trajectory to the bodies but they're impact only.  The other odd thing is that when I use the fine tune closest approach, the resulting approach isn't near the value entered.  Seems to work OK on other planets though.

Thanks for your help!

The Bi-impulsive transfer is always calculated centroid to centroid, so that it doesn't account for the diameter of the target if it's a planet. What I do is have MechJeb calculate the Bi-impulsive transfer maneuver then go into mechjeb maneuver node editor and delay the maneuver node a little until the rendezvous is at an altitude I can work with for circularizing or other maneuvers.

It's not clear to me what the fine tune closest approach is doing for the Mun and Minmus and why its so far off. It's been that way as long as I've used MechJeb. I usually have to play with the numbers to get the trajectory I want. The same problem happens in the return from a moon function. The Pe at the home planet is always off and you have to try different numbers to get the desired Pe.

Edited by Tonka Crash

Not too sure why but with 2.8.1-858 jumping to 859 (also the CKAN 2.8.2 release the GC is going haywire in my games its strong and stable in 858 when i apply a 8Gb memgraph padheap but doing the same in 859 the GC just keeps super stuttering the game..... 

25 minutes ago, BruteMan said:

Not too sure why but with 2.8.1-858 jumping to 859 (also the CKAN 2.8.2 release the GC is going haywire in my games its strong and stable in 858 when i apply a 8Gb memgraph padheap but doing the same in 859 the GC just keeps super stuttering the game..... 

The code change between 858 and 859 do not include any obvious memory garbage source. Are you sure it's not something else ? And is this all the time or while using a specific MJ module ?

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

The Bi-impulsive transfer is always calculated centroid to centroid, so that it doesn't account for the diameter of the target if it's a planet. What I do is have it calculated the Bi-impulsive transfer maneuver then go into mechjeb maneuver node editor and delay the maneuver node a until the rendezvous is at an altitude I can work with for circularizing or other maneuvers.

It's not clear to me what the fine tune closest approach is doing for the Mun and Minmus and why its so far off. It's been that way as long as I've used mechjeb. I usually have to play with the numbers more to get the trajectory I want. The same problem happens in the return from a moon function. The Pe at the home planet is always off and you have to try different numbers to get the desired Pe.

GOOD to know it's not just me :)

The weird thing I notice about Fine-Tune is that if I leave it at the default 200km, I wind up with a periapsis between 125 and 150km, but if I boost it up to about 350-400, it will come very close to that figure, so it doesn't seem to be a consistent offset.

40 minutes ago, sarbian said:

The code change between 858 and 859 do not include any obvious memory garbage source. Are you sure it's not something else ? And is this all the time or while using a specific MJ module ?

All the time soon as the game is loaded the GC is red spiking every 0.5s  changing to a rover on Mun or going into a empty SPH / VAB the GC is redspiking the same throughout maybe a little worse with the rover on the mun but consistent even after adding 8Gb to the padheap but i reverted to 858 and everything's back to a red spike with 8Gb padheap every 2-4 mins and in the current save i changed nothing between testing the only thing changed was MJ even when i added each MJ i made sure i wiped the folder and reset MJ with the use default settings button etc. 

I dont think theres much of a log file i can show but i can screen cap my memgraph if that's any help at all?

1 minute ago, BruteMan said:

I dont think theres much of a log file i can show

I would like to see it anyway to be sure it is not an exception spam.

I am looking at the memory garbage and I found some but they were added last year....

19 minutes ago, sarbian said:

I would like to see it anyway to be sure it is not an exception spam.

I am looking at the memory garbage and I found some but they were added last year....

putting together a couple of drop box comparisons for you i'll get the link here shortly im currently getting all the logs and screengrabs of the smooth 858 and then will move to the identical setup in 859 back in a bit with what i can get you besides output log and my CKAN installed mods list is there any other logs you want? I see a module manager log etc in the folders....

ok this is got me baffled now i'm running 859 and its fine typical murphy's law when you want to capture something going wrong it wont go wrong for you lol.  I guess it was just a flub on my install i'll do one more test and try the new ver on CKAN as i did the manual method for both 858 and 859 for this test might be something CKAN did when it installed the newest version.vs my manual method test.

Update it is its the 2.8.2 version on CKAN thats doing it just finishing up the test run now will get you the links to the 3 log dumps.

Link to logs: 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rf9g0ni4slkujjs/AADl4FuohJVg8GIMe-NmI_nEa?dl=0

Edited by BruteMan
wrong ver # & COnfirmed version error + Logs link

7 minutes ago, dlrk said:

The Rover autopilot doesn't seem to work. When I click speed, heading, or both, without or without stability control, nothing happens. I'm on the latest version of MJ and KSP

Worked for me yesterday, it got me to 5 biomes on Eeloo. I was using waypoints, but didn't try speed/heading by itself. 

10 minutes ago, dlrk said:

The Rover autopilot doesn't seem to work. When I click speed, heading, or both, without or without stability control, nothing happens. I'm on the latest version of MJ and KSP

I was just roving around b4 doing that test i just did in dev ver 858 was working fine in there might be the CKAN version is messing up if that's the one you're using. as its certainly giving me some problems with GC etc. 

Edited by BruteMan

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

Most problems with the Rover AP are linked to a control part that is not oriented to look forward.

or the control is in hibernation mode as I have done a few times.

as I put my cargo into hibernation during the trip. when unloading I have to recall to take it out of this mode before I can control it

Jammer-TD

Edited by Jammer-TD
fixed the pasted post

3 minutes ago, Deltac said:

How do I make sure all of the Mechjeb modules are active at the start of career?

i don't think you can in career its locked in the tech tree unless there's some other way of doing it i don't know about.

3 minutes ago, dlrk said:

I checked, it's oriented forward and not hibernated. All the other MechJeb functionality works fine on the same craft.

so I just built a rover added controller and called mechjeb rover autopilot. set speed and heading as well as waypoints and it all worked flawlessly (not a word used to often in a mod world) so I am not sure where the issue is or what maybe giving this result you describe

and so yea probably need a log file for to help Id where this is happening. 

hope this helps

Jammer

4 minutes ago, Jammer-TD said:

so I just built a rover added controller and called mechjeb rover autopilot. set speed and heading as well as waypoints and it all worked flawlessly (not a word used to often in a mod world) so I am not sure where the issue is or what maybe giving this result you describe

and so yea probably need a log file for to help Id where this is happening. 

hope this helps

Jammer

I also am right now roving on the moon using waypoints and the manual heading speed controller working fine im using dev build as the 2.8.2 is giving my setup issues. possibly send a log or upload a craft file so we can try your rover out if its stock etc. 

16 minutes ago, dlrk said:

so few things with that rover not sure if its a 1.6.1 thing or not the control from on the main body in your craft file is set to up not forward so MJ did work it just spun in circles till i fixed that ( I also do not have RTG currently unlocked so replaced that with some Batt) the other thing i noticed when i loaded your craft its way up in the air in the hanger and when you launch it it drops it on the runway and breaks the wheels....  lowered it set its control from to forward and its working for me .... 

the other thing to check and it may be just the modpack im running with atm but i don't need to add the actual mechjeb to that rover as the main body has it built in right click on the body to make sure your not getting a doubble MJ conflict on the same rover (even tho i left it on in my test and it works for me)  if you RC the main body and it says MJ enabled then you shouldn't need that controler on it but i did have to add an antenna as im running remotetech and couldn't control it till it had one :)

Edited by BruteMan