Large land bases

Noel32

• 1 month later...

Still WIP... lab produced enought science to build giant interplanetary ship *evil laugh*

puaWHfm.png

...yeah i attach every reusable junk back to base in case it could be usable later

ylDlyiX.png

Note to myself: kerbals tend to smash fotovoltaic panels alot! ... probaly those panels have their own kracken microgravity that works only on kerbals:D

• 6 months later...
On 1/13/2017 at 2:22 PM, bigcalm said:

Big bases is kind of all I do these days - with USI Kolonisation Systems.  Effectively all the "pieces" are landed separately and joined together on the surface, mostly using the weldable docking ports in USI Konstruction (calls for careful alignment back on Kerbin!) and using KIS to move stuff about for smaller pieces.

Every time I try moving stuff around, and I put a part on the ground, it explodes. Is there some kind of workaround for that?

some of those bases are alright, a few look like dumpsters from behind walmart with a solar panel on it, yall need to step your base game up honestly. ill show you what a real base looks like so you can get some ideas and come back to this thread and post something worthy of looking at.

F621D39641D4D182FC297C74BA52D4DB233EFE8C

On 10/12/2017 at 3:10 AM, dvp said:

Every time I try moving stuff around, and I put a part on the ground, it explodes. Is there some kind of workaround for that?

KIS' "drop part" function, right? I really can't call a couple of these a "workaround", but from what I've encountered you can try the following options:

1. Prior research by others regarding bases clipping into the ground suggest that raising terrain detail (not referring to the scatter, I forgot what it was called but it has to do with the level of detail with which the terrain colliders are loaded) could help, as it more accurately models the surface on which parts rest, preventing cases where base parts would load into the ground. Not sure if this is also the case with KIS, given how small the parts are, but it's probably worth a try.

2. There are some parts that are just very sensitive to ground placement. Using KPBS as an example, in my experience the quarter-sized modules which go into the module racks, e.g., the small greenhouse, ESPECIALLY the small greenhouse, has a habit of blowing up on contact with the ground. Notice the same thing with deflated Pathfinder habitats. As much as possible, avoid having to drop these parts on the ground--either keep them on your kerbal (inventory or jetpack), bolt them to another available part rather than set them down on the floor, or (sometimes this works) bolt them onto the ground as you go. In the latter case, however, there's no assurance it won't explode.

3. Take advantage of vehicles to carry your stuff, if you can. You can grab Roverdude's Akita rover and (making it long enough) mount one of the long KIS Kontainers (I think the 1.25m model) on the back. In my case, I used the flatbed below (made up of Buffalo, Konstruction, and Kerbal Foundries parts) to carry fragiles from where they were landed on Minmus to the build site:

Spoiler

ckvIcXi.png?1

4. F5 frequently, especially if moving a part you know is sensitive. Sometimes, it might be a luck of the draw if/when they blow up on contact with the ground. 

On 1/12/2017 at 3:53 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

Solution: Hperedit and MechJeb. (It's totally not cheating.)

LOL! I must admit I did use Hyperedit just to see what I could put on Minmus. Both the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems and Hyperedit were new toys for me, and I wanted to see what was possible.

The three module station houses just under 150 Kerbins (if you do not count the Hitchhiker cans) and 24 greenhouses. The five story apartment complex in the back was a challenge to land even with Hyperedit. It can't really exist on Kerbin, so I had to use ALT-F12 to immediately put it in orbit and drop it one meter to Minmus' surface.

36730489283_7991205246_o.jpg

Actually I do not consider Hyperedit a cheat in all cases. It was designed to put boats in the water. My idea is a sandbox game based in the near future where a station already exists. It can get a bit tedious to spend the time to build yet another base in a new game, when the objective of the game is deep space exploration.  

Edited by Ty Tan Tu
It is 152 beds for Kerbins not 100.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, dvp said:

Not really.  I mean, there's things that help, but sheesh, a large base on a surface is gonna be krakeny and KIS/MKS tends to be very explodey - quicksave early and often.  You just learn to live with it.

For moving stuff around, it's best if you have a rover (or rover-like-thing) that you can attach things to.  So I will attach the bit I want to the rover, drive the rover to where it needs to be, and attach the piece to it where it needs to go.

Alternatively, don't use kerbals to move stuff.  Simply put everything on wheels and join things together using the weldable docking ports.

I use a combination of both - it depends on the world I land on.  Currently attempting a surface base on Laythe (yes I'm insane) which involves large amounts of KIS - but I'm using rovers to transfer bits from one place to another.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.