[Mac]CKAN.app

MaxZhao

I have been using CKAN on my Mac to manage mods and opening terminal all the time gets kind of annoying, so there it is, the CKAN.app

It does one job, it calls the terminal and enters the code you would otherwise need to enter yourself to open ckan.exe

Requirements:

1. ckan.exe (obviously)

2. latest/compatible mono install (obviously)

3. Latest macOS Sierra (not tested on other versions)

4.Your ckan.exe needs to be in the system "downloads" file (this can be customised with a bit of computer science knowledge, see GitHub wiki)  (new update, new icon and this is no more required)

Downloads and codes:

GitHub release page

GitHub repo

Have fun killing kerbals with your potato (apple?):D

PS: New to contributing, be nice to me:P

License: Do What The love You Want To Public License (WTFPL)

DO WHAT THE love YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE 
                    Version 2, December 2004 

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net> 

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified 
 copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long 
 as the name is changed. 

DO WHAT THE love YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE 
   TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION 

0. You just DO WHAT THE love YOU WANT TO.

Thanks to jwwolff (forum user Qindustries) for his contribution on the new update!!

Donation:

Haha, just kidding

Edited by MaxZhao
Licensing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Trying to install CKAN but terminal does not seem to want to. Been following all 3 requirements, trying multiple times, restart, try again, but this is what I get :

Last login: Fri Mar 10 00:28:02 on ttys001

ULMs-Mac-Pro:~ media$ CKAN=$(mdfind ckan.exe)

ULMs-Mac-Pro:~ media$ mono $CKAN

-bash: mono: command not found

ULMs-Mac-Pro:~ media$ ckan gui

-bash: ckan: command not found

ULMs-Mac-Pro:~ media$ 

I have the latest macOS Sierra (just installed actually), I did download the latest ckan.exe, and even though it's not required anymore I have it in my downloads folder, I also tried with the previous build where it was necessary to have it in the folder.

Can anyone help me out pls?

37 minutes ago, iokN said:

Hey guys,

Trying to install CKAN but terminal does not seem to want to. Been following all 3 requirements, trying multiple times, restart, try again, but this is what I get :

Last login: Fri Mar 10 00:28:02 on ttys001

-bash: mono: command not found

I have the latest macOS Sierra (just installed actually), I did download the latest ckan.exe, and even though it's not required anymore I have it in my downloads folder, I also tried with the previous build where it was necessary to have it in the folder.

Can anyone help me out pls?

So from what I can tell its not recognizing the mono command. Do you have the latest version of mono downloaded? It can be found here(http://www.mono-project.com/download/)

11 hours ago, Qindustries said:

So from what I can tell its not recognizing the mono command. Do you have the latest version of mono downloaded? It can be found here(http://www.mono-project.com/download/)

Thanks for the reply, I did not have mono.

Lol I think I didn't get the part where the OP said "2. latest/compatible mono install (obviously)"

I thought he was talking about the ckan app launcher itself and "mono" was a term referring to it. Learning something new everyday. 

Downloaded mono, installed it, launched ckan, and I get this :(

Last login: Fri Mar 10 12:49:25 on ttys001

CKAN Client 0.0.0.0

MIT License - CKAN Team

gui          Start the CKAN GUI

search       Search for mods

upgrade      Upgrade an installed mod

update       Update list of available mods

available    List available mods

install      Install a KSP mod

remove       Remove an installed mod

scan         Scan for manually installed KSP mods

list         List installed modules

show         Show information about a mod

clean        Clean away downloaded files from the cache

repair       Attempt various automatic repairs

repo         Manage CKAN repositories

ksp          Manage KSP installs

compat       Manage KSP version compatibility

compare      Compare version strings

version      Show the version of the CKAN client being used.

You are using CKAN version v1.22.1-0-g174271a (beta)

It does not want to launch the GUI and no other command works either.
I don't know much about coding, and terminal so I'm at a loss.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2017 at 5:57 PM, iokN said:

It does not want to launch the GUI and no other command works either.
I don't know much about coding, and terminal so I'm at a loss.

Is this still not working for you? I cannot replicate this behaviour. Try doing it again after deleting the CKAN file in your KSP directory. If it does not exist try launching ckan manually first by typing below into the terminal. Then try again using v1.0.1 on the release page

//press enter after each line
CKAN=$(mdfind ckan.exe) 
mono $CKAN
ckan gui

On 11/03/2017 at 8:08 AM, Qindustries said:

I just redid the command line code hopefully this will force it to launch the GUI. (You can find it here: https://github.com/jwwolff/CKAN.app/releases

This does not seem to work for me for unclear reasons. You've not located ckan.exe in your code.   

Edited by MaxZhao

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I'm getting the exact same problem. Terminal won't want to open the gui or something of the other. Where should the .exe file be located at if it doesn't need to be in the download folder?

Here is what I got for myself. It seems it can't find the bash file? Even though it already is executing the ckan.exe 

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ search

-bash: search: command not found

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ compare

-bash: compare: command not found

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ gui

-bash: gui: command not found

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ 

28 minutes ago, cutlercollin99 said:

Hello. I'm getting the exact same problem. Terminal won't want to open the gui or something of the other. Where should the .exe file be located at if it doesn't need to be in the download folder?

Here is what I got for myself. It seems it can't find the bash file? Even though it already is executing the ckan.exe 

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ search

-bash: search: command not found

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ compare

-bash: compare: command not found

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ gui

-bash: gui: command not found

Wow, what on earth are you up to there?
search, comapre, and gui are command line options for ckan, not commands in their own right, therefore bash will say "command not found". This is expected.

This should work exactly the same as any other *nix:
Enter the directory containing ckan.exe
Execute mono ./ckan.exe <insert option here>
E.g. (on GNU/Linux, but bash is bash):

steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ ls ckan*
ckan.exe

steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ mono ./ckan.exe help
CKAN Client 0.0.0.0
MIT License - CKAN Team

gui          Start the CKAN GUI

search       Search for mods

upgrade      Upgrade an installed mod

update       Update list of available mods

available    List available mods

install      Install a KSP mod

remove       Remove an installed mod

scan         Scan for manually installed KSP mods

list         List installed modules

show         Show information about a mod

clean        Clean away downloaded files from the cache

repair       Attempt various automatic repairs

repo         Manage CKAN repositories

ksp          Manage KSP installs

compat       Manage KSP version compatibility

compare      Compare version strings

version      Show the version of the CKAN client being used.

steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ mono ./ckan.exe search
No search term?

steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ mono ./ckan.exe compare
Usage: ckan compare version1 version2

steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ mono ./ckan.exe gui
<launches GUI>

Dunno about that '.app' thing though, that's Mac specific. As I understand it, it's just a launcher for ckan.exe so you don't have to use the terminal.

Edited by steve_v
Linebreaks for clarity.

1 minute ago, steve_v said:

Dunno about that '.app' thing though, that's Mac specific. As I understand it, it's just a launcher for ckan.exe so you don't have to use the terminal.

Yes. Thats what I thought the .app was suppose to do. But nothing happened so when I clicked Terminal to see what was happening (the .app then runs terminal so we don't have to do the handy work) and nothing else happened. So I thought, "hey, maybe I have to type in gui, search, or whatever it's prompting me to do. 

I've spent a long time trying to get CKAN to work with mac. Everytime I've ran into trouble. What should I do now then? 

From what @steve_v said, and from looking at the top of my terminal window, the gui window should pop up. Is that correct? 

14 minutes ago, cutlercollin99 said:

From what @steve_v said, and from looking at the top of my terminal window, the gui window should pop up. Is that correct? 

First and foremost, does the ckan gui work if you launch it from the terminal as I described?
What does 'mono ./ckan.exe gui' print to the terminal?
I don't see what "the top of the terminal window" has to do with anything, what command exactly are you using?
I'd have a go at fixing that .app thing, but there's some excessively large 'mac metadata' in the zip archive that is preventing me from opening it... Sigh, Macs. :rolleyes:

Edited by steve_v

1 minute ago, steve_v said:

First and foremost, does the ckan gui work if you launch it from the terminal as I described?
I don't see what "the top of the terminal window" has to do with anything, what command exactly are you using?
I'd have a go at fixing that .app thing, but there's some excessively large 'mac metadata' in the zip archive that is preventing me from opening it... Sigh, Macs. :rolleyes:

The gui does not work if I did what you said above. the "mono ./ckan.exe gui". A new icon called "mono" on the doc popped up, but nothing else happened. Terminal was also acting goofy as well during that time. Once I force quit that new "mono" icon, terminal went back to normal. 

This is everything that the .app does when you start it: 

Last login: Sun Apr 23 13:06:27 on ttys000

Collins-MacBook-Air:~ collincutler$ mono $(mdfind ckan.exe) gui

CKAN Client 0.0.0.0

MIT License - CKAN Team

gui          Start the CKAN GUI

search       Search for mods

upgrade      Upgrade an installed mod

update       Update list of available mods

available    List available mods

install      Install a KSP mod

remove       Remove an installed mod

scan         Scan for manually installed KSP mods

list         List installed modules

show         Show information about a mod

clean        Clean away downloaded files from the cache

repair       Attempt various automatic repairs

repo         Manage CKAN repositories

ksp          Manage KSP installs

compat       Manage KSP version compatibility

Nothing else would of happened unless I click on the terminal icon on the dock. Then that popped up the window that had this inside it. 

45 minutes ago, cutlercollin99 said:

The gui does not work if I did what you said above.

Then the problem is not the .app launcher...

45 minutes ago, cutlercollin99 said:

Terminal was also acting goofy as well during that time.

"Goofy" isn't very descriptive... did it print any messages?

As I said, I don't have a Mac, so I can't really investigate much further. However this:

Note that you may need to specify the architecture (32 bit or 64 bit). If plain mono ckan.exe does not launch the app, then try making mono more chatty. The verbose setting can be removed once you figure out how to get it running, but its error messages might make that process easier:

mono --verbose --arch=32 ckan.exe

From the Installing CKAN on OSX instructions might be worth a shot. See what it prints with the --verbose option for a start.

This is starting to sound like you don't have mono or some of it's components installed correctly...

Edited by steve_v

What operating system are you on?(the terminal commands do slightly different things depending on what MacOS your on)

Try typing into the command line "mono $(mdfind ckan.exe) version" (without the "" )

replace version with "help" and run it again then finally with "gui" 

For some reason when updating ckan to the new version it won't launch the gui (even if you launch it regularly without the .app) and gives the same problem that you're having but after using these commands it starts working for me. (if this still doesn't work go to the ckan github and manually download the  Plasma window version of ckan I know that one works)

Edited by Qindustries

• 4 weeks later...

Switched to windows recently, but I used to have a mac and I know the struggle of opening CKAN on mac, it can be tedious. Thank you for your service in making this application shortcut! :)  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I have a problem which does not seem to have occurred yet and which seems very strange to me: 

Terminal does not seem to find the Application Support folder, regardless of me trying to go to it manually or ckan.app tries to:

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ CKAN=$(mdfind ckan.exe)

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ mono $CKAN

Cannot open assembly '/Users/johannes/Library/Application': No such file or directory.

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ ckan gui

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ 

I this it is quite strange
Since I am quite new to Mac AND to this whole forum thing, I hope you can help me out with my problem and do not mind any supidities form my side :)

Thanks a lot!

On 09/06/2017 at 9:10 PM, JohKaHe said:

Hi!

I have a problem which does not seem to have occurred yet and which seems very strange to me: 

Terminal does not seem to find the Application Support folder, regardless of me trying to go to it manually or ckan.app tries to:

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ CKAN=$(mdfind ckan.exe)

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ mono $CKAN

Cannot open assembly '/Users/johannes/Library/Application': No such file or directory.

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ ckan gui

franziskas-iMac:~ johannes$ 

I this it is quite strange
Since I am quite new to Mac AND to this whole forum thing, I hope you can help me out with my problem and do not mind any supidities form my side :)

Thanks a lot!

Hi! On the manual side, the directory should be wherever your CKAN.exe file is, which is not necessarily the same folder as your steam or KSP (application support). How the CKAN.app isn't able to find CKAN.exe im not sure. Can you check that you have the most up to date CKAN and mono?

4 hours ago, MaxZhao said:

Hi! On the manual side, the directory should be wherever your CKAN.exe file is, which is not necessarily the same folder as your steam or KSP (application support). How the CKAN.app isn't able to find CKAN.exe im not sure. Can you check that you have the most up to date CKAN and mono?

CKAN and mono are definitely up to date, I checked multiple times. 

Also, I put ckan.exe into the KSP folder.

What I noticed was the line 

"Cannot open assembly '/Users/johannes/Library/Application': No such file or directory."

Where it should say "~/Library/Application Support" it cuts off after "/Application ", so the rest is missing and of course this directory cannot be found.

I tried different way to write it (e.g. Application_Support) but that did not work either...

However the folder does most definitely exist and is accessible through Finder no problem whatsoever.

Do you have any idea what the cause of this might be? And ideally, how to fix it? 

Edited by JohKaHe

5 hours ago, JohKaHe said:

CKAN and mono are definitely up to date, I checked multiple times. 

Also, I put ckan.exe into the KSP folder.

What I noticed was the line 

"Cannot open assembly '/Users/johannes/Library/Application': No such file or directory."

Where it should say "~/Library/Application Support" it cuts off after "/Application ", so the rest is missing and of course this directory cannot be found.

I tried different way to write it (e.g. Application_Support) but that did not work either...

However the folder does most definitely exist and is accessible through Finder no problem whatsoever.

Do you have any idea what the cause of this might be? And ideally, how to fix it? 

For the problem, terminal reads spaces in folders as ~/library/Application\ Support/~ but with command mdfind it outputs a user friendly format that doesn't include the backslash. So you can either manually edit the app(which if you want to do I could provide instructions of how to do) or change the location of the ckan.exe file.

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.