[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Mark One Laboratory Extensions (M.O.L.E.)

Angelo Kerman

On 2/28/2017 at 1:52 AM, Angel-125 said:

take MOLE's enhanced science experiments and stick individual ones into an LDEF (Long Duration Exposure Facility) experiment module, then either use the MOLE Lab to generate LabTime, or use the LDEF Science Processor. When all the conditions are met, finalize the experiment and either return it home, take the data and return home, or transfer the data to a Mobile Processing Lab.

Nice add on. Back in the old days EVA was required to do this sort of stuff. Happy times with orbital material science.

4WojoCx.jpg

HJtG4qc.jpg

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

MOLE 1.5.1 has some bug fixes:

• Restricted the number of contracts that are offered and/or active.
  • Fixed a situation where experiments weren't registering as completed.
  • Contracts won't be offered until you've orbited the target world and have unlocked the proper tech tree.
  • Contracts that must be returned to the homeworld must be landed or splashed.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:13 PM, Angel-125 said:

Well, you got me stumped then. If you copied everything from the zip files's GameData folder into your game's GameData, then it should all work. My guess is you have a mod conflict somewhere.

great news it wasnt a conflict i just had to reinstall the mod

i had an idea why not make a backpack plate you pick it up with KAS and mount it with antennas, tanks, or science

Edited by Abstract223

On 3/12/2017 at 9:47 PM, Angel-125 said:

Wow, that brings back memories... The artwork is so much better than it was back then. :)

Yeah. Although to be honest everything I did back then was played in half resolution. With textures memory reduced by compressing/resizing. All to get a list of installed mods under the 32bit memory limit. So matter how much work any mod author put in to artwork. The results where always restricted by the games pre 1.1 versions. Artwork was always sacrificed just to get enough memory for the rest of the mods.  

When 1.1 rolled out and allowed us to 64 bits. It was max graphics settings all the way. Pathfinder, MOLE and Buffalo became jaw dropping beautiful overnight in my eyes. :D

@Angel-125 or anyone who might know,

I had an odd hiccup trying to install 1.5.1,  I'm not sure if it is something I did or what. I just got a new computer & copied my KSP folder over & here is where the error might happened...

I deleted my older version of M.O.L.E. folder before rebooting & Installing v 1.5.1 but I DON'T delete the community folder in the Gamedata Folder, I didn't delete the Community Folder because I'm not sure how that would impact other mods.

Now every time I start KSP I get an "ALERT" asking if I want to download the latest version of M.O.L.E. (1.5.1) but I already have & Installed it.

what did I do wrong?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Turk_WLF said:

@Angel-125 or anyone who might know,

I had an odd hiccup trying to install 1.5.1,  I'm not sure if it is something I did or what. I just got a new computer & copied my KSP folder over & here is where the error might happened...

I deleted my older version of M.O.L.E. folder before rebooting & Installing v 1.5.1 but I DON'T delete the community folder in the Gamedata Folder, I didn't delete the Community Folder because I'm not sure how that would impact other mods.

Now every time I start KSP I get an "ALERT" asking if I want to download the latest version of M.O.L.E. (1.5.1) but I already have & Installed it.

what did I do wrong?

Thanks!

You didn't do anything wrong. When you install a new version of MOLE, AVC will ask you if you want to watch for updates. There should be an xml file in your MOLE install folder that says you want to watch for new updates.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

You didn't do anything wrong. When you install a new version of MOLE, AVC will ask you if you want to watch for updates. There should be an xml file in your MOLE install folder that says you want to watch for new updates.

@Angel-125,

I'm not sure what happened but I guess I didn't installed v1.5.1 afterall but I did install the latest version on the Buffalo. I just in installed MOLE 1.5.1 & I did get the AVC notice for the update watches. Angel-125 please keep up with the great work & Thank you for all of your hard work & time!

14 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Angel-125 wow this mod is beautiful!  I'm looking for a way to emulate the droppable engines on the RL Mercury Atlas launch vehicles. Do you have anything like that or have you seen one?

Thanks! I had a lot of fun making it, though if the new expansion ha 1.875m parts, it might become obsolete, heh. I haven't seen droppable engines, but why not use a decoupler with fuel cross-feed enabled?

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks! I had a lot of fun making it, though if the new expansion ha 1.875m parts, it might become obsolete, heh. I haven't seen droppable engines, but why not use a decoupler with fuel cross-feed enabled?

I've tried a few things, but nothing that had the right "look" so far. I'm going to play around with it more this weekend.

Is there a WIKI or other instructions source for how to use the MOLE parts?

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

I've tried a few things, but nothing that had the right "look" so far. I'm going to play around with it more this weekend.

Is there a WIKI or other instructions source for how to use the MOLE parts?

Yes. The KSPedia has an entry for MOLE.

44 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does this mod work with CKAN installs? A lot of your other mods don't, but unless I'm blind there's nothing in the OP about it.  

Nope sure doesn't.  All of Angel's mods are installed manually due to the complexity level involved and the problems CKAN can introduce.

16 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

Oh, I was under the impression that if you had CKAN then the mod wouldn't work even if you did install it manually.

No. CKAN is just a mod manager for installing and updating mods.  It works for about 98% of all mods with no problem.  But there are those (like Angel's set or Galileo Planet Pack) that are so complicated on the install side that CKAN will never get it right.  So instead, the authors request CKAN to never index it, which it doesn't, and require that players install manually.  But no mod "looks" for whether CKAN is installed per se...

4 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

No. CKAN is just a mod manager for installing and updating mods.  It works for about 98% of all mods with no problem.  But there are those (like Angel's set or Galileo Planet Pack) that are so complicated on the install side that CKAN will never get it right.  So instead, the authors request CKAN to never index it, which it doesn't, and require that players install manually.  But no mod "looks" for whether CKAN is installed per se...

I just looked through this thread again and found that I was installing the mod wrong... Oh well. Thanks for the help!

@Angel-125

It's 4:50 AM so please forgive me as I haven't searched the thread to see if this has been reported...

Drag cube on the MOLE sample return capsule is messed up.  With no chutes I was all the way down to 28 m/s @ 13km.  If you look in the image you'll a second arrow below my craft just about to impact the surface.  That was my engine/tank that was decoupled @ 59km and you can see that it beat me to the ground despite being far less aerodynamic...

Spoiler

94WMaz4.png

EDIT:  Does RealChutes play nice with your setup?  I ask because I haven't searched but it's been my culprit in a few drag cube related incidents recently...

Edited by rasta013

5 hours ago, rasta013 said:

@Angel-125

It's 4:50 AM so please forgive me as I haven't searched the thread to see if this has been reported...

Drag cube on the MOLE sample return capsule is messed up.  With no chutes I was all the way down to 28 m/s @ 13km.  If you look in the image you'll a second arrow below my craft just about to impact the surface.  That was my engine/tank that was decoupled @ 59km and you can see that it beat me to the ground despite being far less aerodynamic.

EDIT:  Does RealChutes play nice with your setup?  I ask because I haven't searched but it's been my culprit in a few drag cube related incidents recently...

Yeah, the Korona Light has always had drag issues. Try copying the drag cube from the stock science return capsule and see if that helps.

@Angel-125: So... if I understand your mod right, the Mk 1 docking port (that correlates to the jr stock one) actually allows for Kerbals to pass through it? And what about having the 2 person capsule come to a point where you can use the standard size docking port?

Just now, adsii1970 said:

@Angel-125: So... if I understand your mod right, the Mk 1 docking port (that correlates to the jr stock one) actually allows for Kerbals to pass through it? And what about having the 2 person capsule come to a point where you can use the standard size docking port?

Yup, the Mk1 is big enough for a kerbal to fit through if they don't wear their helmets. Tested through experimentation (mostly standing a kerbal next to a 0.625m cylinder). The upper attachment point of the Brumby is size 0 (0.625m), which is half the size of size 1 (1.25m, the size of the mk1 port). You would need an adapter to make the size transition, and it will obstruct the view. I'd have to create a new 1.875m to 1.25m capsule to accommodate the larger port. Something like a Dragon 2 capsule would work. Then I'd need Falcon 9 landing legs, and a half-sized Fulcrum (or I could pilfer Porkjet's LV-T15 from the aborted stock part revamp), a conformal solar panel for the ISC... then you could use the 1.875m engine mount in 7-engine mode. Hm... :)

Just an FYI, with the official DLC hinted at being 1.875m parts, MOLE will not be retired, just in case anybody's getting nervous. There's plenty of things that MOLE does that isn't just 1.875m parts...

8 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Just an FYI, with the official DLC hinted at being 1.875m parts, MOLE will not be retired, just in case anybody's getting nervous. There's plenty of things that MOLE does that isn't just 1.875m parts...

[Edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]

This is good to know. Your mods are some of the best.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah, the Korona Light has always had drag issues. Try copying the drag cube from the stock science return capsule and see if that helps.

Ok will do.  Will report back on results...

EDIT:  @Angel-125 Hmmm...there is no defined drag cube for the stock science return unless I'm looking at the wrong part (Experiment Storage Unit)?  The only thing re: Drag in the CFG for this part is: 

Spoiler

dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.3
    angularDrag = 2

These are the exact same values in the Korona Lite.  Seemingly the only difference is that the Lite has the drag cube defined and the stock box does not.  As an aside, I also checked several other stock parts and can't find a single defined drag cube in any stock config including the command pods.

Thoughts or ideas on how to move forward with this test?  Also, is the Drag_Cube module essential to the Lite's operation?

Edited by rasta013

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.