[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Mark One Laboratory Extensions (M.O.L.E.)

Angelo Kerman

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

With BARIS, your space station parts now have wear and tear, which is indicated by the part's Quality rating. They're unlikely to break during their normal design life, but they can start to break down after you exceed their design life.

How do you determine the design life?

18 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

OK, then how do I determine a components MTBF?  (That is, you didn't really answer my question - which is: how to determine, in advance, how long I can trust a system for.)

Right-click the part in the catalog, and look at the Quality Control entry.

1 hour ago, kraden said:

Event cards seem pretty frequent, especially when time warping to finish building a crazy. Do they occur after a certain number of days? 

Yes, the default is 18 days, but you can change that. That is in the KSPedia..

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, kraden said:

Thank you! Would you mind adding the KSPedia link to the OP for easy access? Also, I'm really enjoying BARIS so far. I'm keeping track of my missions and seeing the various failures as a rocket is being tested is pretty cool. :D

Done.

48 minutes ago, Bob Jub said:

Does this mod play nice with the USI MKS and Life Support mod set?

Nope

Edited by Angel-125

3 hours ago, Bob Jub said:

Does this mod play nice with the USI MKS and Life Support mod set?

Nope

@Angel-125,

Could you expand on that?  Is there specific issues with the USI mods or have you just not done anything in particular to ensure compatibility?  

This is great stuff btw.  I have looked around at other mods that introduce part failures and such but have never been really happy with the other implementations.  This one seems like it's going to be pretty much exactly what I've been looking for.

One other question:  If I'm using KCT, does building a craft in KCT have the same effect on part quality as taking the full amount of (without KCT) vehicle integration time?

EDIT: One more question: I'm using CustomBarnKit to add additional levels to various facilities (using the SETI configs.)  When calculating the bonus for the VAB/SPH facility level does it take into account the number or possible levels for the facility or does it assume it is the default three levels?

EDIT2: And another, if using KCT do the "Workers cost money" or "Astronauts cost money" options have any effect?  I'm assuming workers don't but astronauts isn't so obvious.  If the astronauts cost money is there anywhere we can see the costs in the gui? (Assuming I'm using KCT so no gui in the VAB.)

Edited by CaribeanSoul

On 8/17/2017 at 11:30 AM, CaribeanSoul said:

@Angel-125,

Could you expand on that?  Is there specific issues with the USI mods or have you just not done anything in particular to ensure compatibility?  

This is great stuff btw.  I have looked around at other mods that introduce part failures and such but have never been really happy with the other implementations.  This one seems like it's going to be pretty much exactly what I've been looking for.

One other question:  If I'm using KCT, does building a craft in KCT have the same effect on part quality as taking the full amount of (without KCT) vehicle integration time?

EDIT: One more question: I'm using CustomBarnKit to add additional levels to various facilities (using the SETI configs.)  When calculating the bonus for the VAB/SPH facility level does it take into account the number or possible levels for the facility or does it assume it is the default three levels?

EDIT2: And another, if using KCT do the "Workers cost money" or "Astronauts cost money" options have any effect?  I'm assuming workers don't but astronauts isn't so obvious.  If the astronauts cost money is there anywhere we can see the costs in the gui? (Assuming I'm using KCT so no gui in the VAB.)

USI changes too much for me to keep the MM patches up to date. I've heard many times that it's easy to balance parts with it, but I don't use USI mods, and nobody has stepped up to do the work. If somebody does, I can post a link on the OP.

When KCT is installed, once your vessels are built, they act as though they've been fully integrated.

BARIS assumes the default 3 levels.

With KCT installed, Astronaut payroll is still an option (there's a bug right now where they aren't shown, it'll get fixed in the next release). You'll be able to see their costs in the space center screen.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

USI changes too much for me to keep the MM patches up to date. I've heard many times that it's easy to balance parts with it, but I don't use USI mods, and nobody has stepped up to do the work. If somebody does, I can post a link on the OP.

Thanks for the answers.  USI does have a huge set of parts so I can see that being a lot to do if you don't use them yourself.  You'll have to forgive me though, because I seem to be a little slow on the uptake with this one.  I'm not sure what patches would need to be made for BARIS to support USI parts.  I haven't looked at the configs for the event cards because I wanted to be surprised so perhaps it's something in there?  (Maybe you were referring to M.O.L.E instead of BARIS here but you already support USI-LS.)

I can move any further questions to the BARIS thread if you like.  I was asking in here because it was a followup to an ongoing discussion.

2 hours ago, CaribeanSoul said:

Thanks for the answers.  USI does have a huge set of parts so I can see that being a lot to do if you don't use them yourself.  You'll have to forgive me though, because I seem to be a little slow on the uptake with this one.  I'm not sure what patches would need to be made for BARIS to support USI parts.  I haven't looked at the configs for the event cards because I wanted to be surprised so perhaps it's something in there?  (Maybe you were referring to M.O.L.E instead of BARIS here but you already support USI-LS.)

I can move any further questions to the BARIS thread if you like.  I was asking in here because it was a followup to an ongoing discussion.

Technically MOLE does have a USI-LS ModuleManager patch but it's horribly out of date. I also don't know how the converters work for USI; all my mods use ModuleResourceConverter, and BARIS is no exception. Also, I don't know how USI mods categorize their parts; BARIS uses standard stock part categories, and if parts don't show up there then BARIS won't detect them. These aren't insurmountable problems, you can definitely include the BARIS part modules yourself. The BARIS wiki tells you how to do that.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Technically MOLE does have a USI-LS ModuleManager patch but it's horribly out of date. I also don't know how the converters work for USI; all my mods use ModuleResourceConverter, and BARIS is no exception. Also, I don't know how USI mods categorize their parts; BARIS uses standard stock part categories, and if parts don't show up there then BARIS won't detect them. These aren't insurmountable problems, you can definitely include the BARIS part modules yourself. The BARIS wiki tells you how to do that.

USI mods use either ModuleResourceConverter, or a slightly-extended decedent that inherits from it.  (I get the feeling that RoverDude may have written ModuleResourceConverter, actually...)  Categories is more likely to be a problem: USI uses it's own categories extensively, though some parts show in the stock categories as well.

(Sorry, I haven't actually done much in KSP the last couple of weeks, and haven't even gotten around to taking a look at BARIS to see what might be needed...)

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

USI mods use either ModuleResourceConverter, or a slightly-extended decedent that inherits from it.  (I get the feeling that RoverDude may have written ModuleResourceConverter, actually...)  Categories is more likely to be a problem: USI uses it's own categories extensively, though some parts show in the stock categories as well.

(Sorry, I haven't actually done much in KSP the last couple of weeks, and haven't even gotten around to taking a look at BARIS to see what might be needed...)

I've always felt that some way of making MKS + USI-LS/Pathfinder + MOLE play nicely with each other would be the holy grail of KSP mod compatibility patches.

7 minutes ago, Merkov said:

I've always felt that some way of making MKS + USI-LS/Pathfinder + MOLE play nicely with each other would be the holy grail of KSP mod compatibility patches.

If you get that fixed up add kerbalism to the mix

3 hours ago, Vaga said:

If you get that fixed up add kerbalism to the mix

I can't really see that happening. While WBI and USI integration would bring up some issues to be addressed, at least they aren't actually incompatible with each other. As it stands now, MKS is completely incompatible with Kerbalism since the former heavily relies on the stock catch-up mechanic that the latter removed in favour of its own background processing mechanic. It's been mentioned more than a few times in the various USI mod threads. 

14 minutes ago, Merkov said:

I can't really see that happening. While WBI and USI integration would bring up some issues to be addressed, at least they aren't actually incompatible with each other. As it stands now, MKS is completely incompatible with Kerbalism since the former heavily relies on the stock catch-up mechanic that the latter removed in favour of its own background processing mechanic. It's been mentioned more than a few times in the various USI mod threads. 

I was talking about kerbalism working with mole, dsev, and pathfinder more than MKS  :)

Speaking of MKS...

I'm still feeling my way around how mods are done here, so please excuse me if this is one of those obvious or impossible questions.

Is there a way for me to add a resource to parts that have configurable resources? Specifically, I want to add specialized parts storage to the Appaloosa Backseat, but I'd love to know if there was a generic way I could do it for any part.

I've looked through the configs to see if there was any master list being referenced by the converter, but so far I haven't been able to find it. 

4 hours ago, Mandella said:

Speaking of MKS...

I'm still feeling my way around how mods are done here, so please excuse me if this is one of those obvious or impossible questions.

Is there a way for me to add a resource to parts that have configurable resources? Specifically, I want to add specialized parts storage to the Appaloosa Backseat, but I'd love to know if there was a generic way I could do it for any part.

I've looked through the configs to see if there was any master list being referenced by the converter, but so far I haven't been able to find it. 

Check the MM patches, that's where additional resources and converters are added to each piece. For example, the patch specifically for the Backseat would be:

@PART[WBI_Backseat2] //Use the name field from the cfg for the part
{
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SpecializedParts //Gotta use the exact name in the resource definition, this is from CRP
		amount = 0.0 //I like to put 0 here so it starts empty in the editor and you can fill it if you want
		maxAmount = 250.00 //Any number you want
		isTweakable = true //Lets you edit in the editor, may have another purpose I don't understand
	}
}

Edited to add: I always end up adding something later because I end up continuing to think about a thing. Anyways! You could copy/save this directly into a text document, save it with .cfg at the end of the name, and put it (preferrably so it doesn't get overwritten/deleted) in a personal MM patch folder and it can still get added to the correct part. On how to add it generally, I'm not exactly sure. That an aspect of MM that I haven't touched on yet.

Edited by Krakatoa

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.