[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Mark One Laboratory Extensions (M.O.L.E.)

Angelo Kerman

On 8/20/2018 at 7:33 AM, Bombaatu said:

I noticed another issue with MOLE labs the other night. Here's the reproduction steps the best I can remember; if you can't recreate the issue from this, I'll recreate it locally and give a more detailed step-by-step.

1. Build a MOLE ship, load with experiments, add scientist.
  2. Get it into orbit & start experiments. Let lab time build up. Return to Space Center
  3. In the VAB, create a new MOLE ship. Do NOT click Show Manifest. Launch.
  4. Once on the launchpad, check to see lab's experiments.

EXPECTED RESULT: there will be no experiments on board since they were not loaded in the VAB

ACTUAL RESULT: Not only will the 2nd MOLE have the same experiments as the first, it will also have approximately the same amount of lab the 1st ship time built up.

@Angel-125 - I never saw a reply to this. Were you able to recreate this issue?

On 10/15/2018 at 1:32 AM, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

@Angel-125

this seems a bit uhh, excessive to say the least

Might need to adjust the contract values when I do the 1.5 release. In the meantime...

Mark One Laboratory Extensions 1.16.1.0 is now available.
GitHub URL: https://github.com/Angel-125/MOLE/releases/tag/v1.16.1.0

Changes

Last release for KSP 1.4.5!

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Fixed issue where switching Play Modes would cause some files to not be renamed and cause all kinds of fun for players...
NOTE: For the changes to take effect, you'll need to switch your Play Mode to some mode other than the current one, then switch it to the desired mode.

preface: ok, i think i broke something, but i dont know the base normal function of the mod to compare against...

question: how does LDEF and MOLE lab time generation happen?  i think from what ive read loading experiments into the lab modules is deprecated infavor of a new way?  do i have that right? the new way being the labs just generate lab time with a scientist in em right in the field?

On 10/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

CRP, I think, i'll rei-install and check if the issue persists

welp off to spending 15 minutes getting KSP loaded again, man do I wish KSP loaded proportionately fast to near 100GB triple A titles, even GTA 5 online launches faster than my 7-8 gig modded install of ksp

and gta online is notorious for loading slowly but at least that's based on a 100GB filesize game :/

okay it's working now, re-installed it twice, thank god, I really didn't want to sit through a multi hour troubleshooting because it takes 15 minutes to boot up KSP on my SSD

What did you do t make it work again? Currently, i have the same issue.

4 hours ago, LupinoArts said:

What did you do t make it work again? Currently, i have the same issue.

make sure you do a clean install, that said it might still not fix it for you, i had to revert to a previous version (backup) earlier because i couldn't get it to work after re installing it like 4 times and such

46 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

make sure you do a clean install, that said it might still not fix it for you, i had to revert to a previous version (backup) earlier because i couldn't get it to work after re installing it like 4 times and such

I rolled back to the versions of late september for all WildBlue Mods i have, that worked. Thanks for your help :).

4 hours ago, Frostiken said:

@skbernard: I have the same issue? I have a MOLE, I have a scientist in it, and I'm trying to do a Cryogenic study, and it just says 'needs lab time' and I have no idea if it's doing anything or not.

yeah i couldnt get it to work, i reverted back to the september 9th version from github like the others guys said in here and it works like the old way, theres a manage operations button in the VAB and you can load experiments that way (the way it talks about in the kspedia)

16 hours ago, skbernard said:

yeah i couldnt get it to work, i reverted back to the september 9th version from github like the others guys said in here and it works like the old way, theres a manage operations button in the VAB and you can load experiments that way (the way it talks about in the kspedia)

Did you have any issues applying it to a game in-progress?

I don't think it helps that there's zero documentation for this mod. The M.O.L.E. page doesn't even MENTION the science experiments, there's more useless flavor text than there is any coherent description of what the mod contains... not even a description of publishing vs. selling research, what 'data processing' does, etc. 

EDIT: Also, I can't even use the Alt+P shortcut for whatever window because it's the same shortcut used by SmokeScreen. Why is there any window hidden behind ANY shortcut keys in a mod for a game with toolbars? 

Edited by Frostiken

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 10:29 AM, Frostiken said:

Did you have any issues applying it to a game in-progress?

I don't think it helps that there's zero documentation for this mod. The M.O.L.E. page doesn't even MENTION the science experiments, there's more useless flavor text than there is any coherent description of what the mod contains... not even a description of publishing vs. selling research, what 'data processing' does, etc. 

EDIT: Also, I can't even use the Alt+P shortcut for whatever window because it's the same shortcut used by SmokeScreen. Why is there any window hidden behind ANY shortcut keys in a mod for a game with toolbars? 

You know? I could say something really snarky here too but I won't. Instead, I will point out that the game comes with a KSPedia, and leave it at that.

On 10/12/2018 at 6:50 AM, Bombaatu said:

@Angel-125 - I never saw a reply to this. Were you able to recreate this issue?

I noticed another issue with MOLE labs the other night. Here's the reproduction steps the best I can remember; if you can't recreate the issue from this, I'll recreate it locally and give a more detailed step-by-step.

1. Build a MOLE ship, load with experiments, add scientist.
  2. Get it into orbit & start experiments. Let lab time build up. Return to Space Center
  3. In the VAB, create a new MOLE ship. Do NOT click Show Manifest. Launch.
  4. Once on the launchpad, check to see lab's experiments.

EXPECTED RESULT: there will be no experiments on board since they were not loaded in the VAB

ACTUAL RESULT: Not only will the 2nd MOLE have the same experiments as the first, it will also have approximately the same amount of lab the 1st ship time built up.

Wow, this is really strange! I'm able to reproduce it though, great steps, thanks! :) Now that I've got experiment manifests working properly when you revert flights, I can tackle this one..

Edited by Angel-125

@Bombaatu The bug you reported appears to be a KSP issue. It seems that when you launch your craft, KSP saves the vessel but the game also appears to cache the part. The next time it loads the part, it uses its cache. Because of that, you're seeing the issue you reported. Not sure if I can create a workaround.

@Angel-125 I'm experimenting with your Konstruction Krane (not sure if this is the correct mod, but you mentioned it here some while ago). Coming from Infernal Robotics, which is wobbly and buggy, I'm quite happy with the krane, which seems rock solid. My problem, though, is, that I can't fit it in my BFR's cargo bay. What I would need is just the jib (rotatable and extendable) in a shorter version (4 m Jib), maybe without the counterweight. Boom isn't needed as well, I could use the winch from KAS. Do you think this could fit somewhere in your mods?

Or maybe someone can suggest an alternative.

Hey, @Angel-125 - something strange cropped up last night. I have a new 1.5.1 install with MOLE, DSEV, PathFinder and a host of other mods. I was in the VAB & had both MechJeb's & KER's dV windows up. Neither the Fulcrum nor the OMS would report their dV to those windows. Any other engine does. Strangely, you do see dV when on the launch pad; just not in the VAB

I'll see if I can recreate the issue with just MOLE & KER; I'll let you know.

6 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

Hey, @Angel-125 - something strange cropped up last night. I have a new 1.5.1 install with MOLE, DSEV, PathFinder and a host of other mods. I was in the VAB & had both MechJeb's & KER's dV windows up. Neither the Fulcrum nor the OMS would report their dV to those windows. Any other engine does. Strangely, you do see dV when on the launch pad; just not in the VAB

I'll see if I can recreate the issue with just MOLE & KER; I'll let you know.

Cycle it around and back to the engine type you want to use. Once you change it away from the starting type, it works just fine for me.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:27 PM, infinite_monkey said:

@Angel-125 I'm experimenting with your Konstruction Krane (not sure if this is the correct mod, but you mentioned it here some while ago). Coming from Infernal Robotics, which is wobbly and buggy, I'm quite happy with the krane, which seems rock solid. My problem, though, is, that I can't fit it in my BFR's cargo bay. What I would need is just the jib (rotatable and extendable) in a shorter version (4 m Jib), maybe without the counterweight. Boom isn't needed as well, I could use the winch from KAS. Do you think this could fit somewhere in your mods?

Or maybe someone can suggest an alternative.

MOLE comes with the most beautiful station arm that folds up nicely into a MK3 cargo bay with room to spare for an orange. Maybe that can be used?

7 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

MOLE comes with the most beautiful station arm that folds up nicely into a MK3 cargo bay with room to spare for an orange. Maybe that can be used?

I know the station arm, but unfortunately, the BFS cargo bay has just a relatively small door (might be different for a future cargo-only BFS), so it doesn't have enough room to unfold. For now, I found a workaround so I can still use Infernal Robotics, I just hope that future updates don't break that ;)

@Angel-125 How would one go about making some MM patches that add MOLE functionality to other parts?

I feel like making a MM patch to add the experiment labs and such to the Tantares Salyut modules since those were pretty much the Russian take on the M.O.L

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

11 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

@Angel-125 How would one go about making some MM patches that add MOLE functionality to other parts?

I feel like making a MM patch to add the experiment labs and such to the Tantares Salyut modules since those were pretty much the Russian take on the M.O.L

Take a look at WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/ModuleManagerPatches/MM_Stock.cfg for an example. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.