[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Mark One Laboratory Extensions (M.O.L.E.)

Angelo Kerman

On 6/3/2017 at 10:03 AM, Gerbwerz said:

The Korona Lite seems like it has waaaaaaay too much drag. Regular KSP, enter atmosphere at Mach 6ish, slows to sub mach without the parachute in an instant. Also put it on top of a rocket and it flips on launch if not covered by faring, even though VAB shows center of lift far below center of mass. Is it really supposed to be like that? 

Yup, I've challenged forum users to redo the drag, but no takers...

13 hours ago, Vorg said:

Found out my freezing was [x] science mod.

On another note, In the game I started, I unlocked the Fulcrum engine and it seems a bit unbalanced. It has the vectoring of the T45, the lower mass of the T30, and more thrust than even the KW wildcat. Maybe the mod needs a balancing pass.

It's also more expensive.

I didn't even notice the engine cost. I always seem to have plenty of money to work with. At the start of the game, the problem is always trying to cram on more then 30 parts or going over the size limits before upgrades.

Now I'm trying to figure out the science stuff added by this mod. Need to go see if there are any vids posted.

12 hours ago, Vorg said:

I didn't even notice the engine cost. I always seem to have plenty of money to work with. At the start of the game, the problem is always trying to cram on more then 30 parts or going over the size limits before upgrades.

Now I'm trying to figure out the science stuff added by this mod. Need to go see if there are any vids posted.

Have you checked the KSPedia?

It doesn't really help. Example, for the goo experiments, it list goo parts that are need, but does the part need to be attached to the ship or stored in a KIS storage since nearly every WB part seems to have a KIS option? With no goo parts, Automated science sampler triggers a goo experiment as if there is a goo part on the craft.

In the VAB I was able to set up a slot for science, but in flight, you only seem to have the option to start/stop it. Slots that have no science only have the option to generate lab time. You can configure the lab for other science in flight?

I'm playing around with a real career game while I wait for a few mods to be updated so I can transfer over my 1.2.2 game, and I just wanted to say this mod is a lifesaver.  I normally play science mode and you tend to blow right past these parts in that mode, but in career they've gotten much more use - I'm not sure I've launched a single Kerbal in a pod that wasn't from this mod, and the Korona is the staple of my unmanned program.  (Although it's not my most capable pod - but the shape, size, and associated parachutes make it worth it for anything that's going to be returning to Kerbin.)  And of course I have a station contract in progress - so far two MOLE units, and a Biological Lab...  (As well as two Brumbys, obviously.)

5 hours ago, Vorg said:

It doesn't really help. Example, for the goo experiments, it list goo parts that are need, but does the part need to be attached to the ship or stored in a KIS storage since nearly every WB part seems to have a KIS option? With no goo parts, Automated science sampler triggers a goo experiment as if there is a goo part on the craft.

In the VAB I was able to set up a slot for science, but in flight, you only seem to have the option to start/stop it. Slots that have no science only have the option to generate lab time. You can configure the lab for other science in flight?

It would need to be attached to the ship - anything in KIS storage is virtual, and not really there.  Automated Science Sampler isn't a good idea with this mod; their basic mode of operation conflicts.  With this you're supposed to need to return the experiment to Kerbin to get *anything.*

You can transfer experiments in and out of the slots in flight.  (Though you can transfer completed experiments only once.)  I'm not sure if the BOW allows you to create experiments from Research Kits - I'm pretty sure the MOLE doesn't.  The idea is that you load your supply ship up with experiments in the VAB, fly it up to your station, transfer the experiments over, run them, transfer them back to your supply ship, and then return them.  (Or - of course - just return the whole lab.)  Note that experiments have mass - and not all of them mass the same.

You can also reconfigure the lab from a MOLE lab into a standard MPL lab (or back) if you want - even in flight.  There are options for that to require specific skills and/or resources.

Automated Science Sampler is too handy not to keep. It won't run science from sounding rockets because of something put in the configs to tell it to skip. It also doesn't seem do the magnetic boom experment from orbital science even if you are stopped or in space where extending it would be safe. So maybe there is something that could be done with an MM cfg to fix any conflicts with Automated Science Sampler

22 minutes ago, dr_evil said:

Thanks for the Update! As this mod includes welding of docking ports does it interfere with the USI Konstruction mod or do they both play well together?

They play just fine together.  The two sets of ports won't weld to each other - but they won't dock to each other either, so no problem.  :wink:

1 hour ago, StevieC said:

@Angel-125Do you think you can make the deprecated 2.5m tanks' textures available to choose as a texture for the 2.5m tanks in DSEV, so we can still build 2.5m launch-vehicles that still are a visual match to the Appaloosa, Brumby, and Bigby?

I'll consider it. My plan is to have both orage and white textures for the tanks.

ahh, 'cuz right now in DSEV there's only orange or gold textures for the 2.5m tanks

Also, please add the quad-coupler fuel-tank into DSEV if you're going to remove it from MOLE. It's a very helpful part to have access to

Edited by StevieC

I am having fun with MOLE. Figuring out the ropes. One obstacle I came across is that I can´t transform science experiments into data to process them landed on Kerbin in the MOLE lab. The button is grayed out. Any ideas on that?

1 hour ago, dr_evil said:

I am having fun with MOLE. Figuring out the ropes. One obstacle I came across is that I can´t transform science experiments into data to process them landed on Kerbin in the MOLE lab. The button is grayed out. Any ideas on that?

Check out the KSPedia, it explains how the science system works. :)

I've just started playing with M.O.L.E and there were 'Wild Blue' parts that came along with the Mod.  Just after I installed MOLE I got a contract to do 'Botanical Research Experiment' at the Astronaut Complex. I noticed there is a time requirement of 90.0000.  What units is this?  Days?  And do I need a Kerbal overseeing this, or can I just leave it running attached to a probe?

Thanks!

On 22.6.2017 at 4:05 AM, dochockin said:

I've just started playing with M.O.L.E and there were 'Wild Blue' parts that came along with the Mod.  Just after I installed MOLE I got a contract to do 'Botanical Research Experiment' at the Astronaut Complex. I noticed there is a time requirement of 90.0000.  What units is this?  Days?  And do I need a Kerbal overseeing this, or can I just leave it running attached to a probe?

Thanks!

You will need lab time for that one, so a MOLE might come in handy. Lab time is produced by a running MOLE set on MOLE operation mode and at least one scientist around. I guess the speed of lab time production depends on the ammount of scientists as well as the number of their stars but I´m pretty new to this awesome mod too so don´t quote me on that.You might also want to check what other requirements you need to meet for a specific experiment. Sometimes you need to be in orbit or you can just perform it landed. Sometimes you need special ressources such as plants. You can find that information on the experiment info box in the VAB.

I have a question myself: Are there any prequisites for welding ports together other than it has to be done by an engineer? I tested some welding in my sandbox game and the results were, well funny. I ended up with my station´s parts floating around all over the place :D.

7 hours ago, dr_evil said:

You will need lab time for that one, so a MOLE might come in handy. Lab time is produced by a running MOLE set on MOLE operation mode and at least one scientist around. I guess the speed of lab time production depends on the ammount of scientists as well as the number of their stars but I´m pretty new to this awesome mod too so don´t quote me on that.You might also want to check what other requirements you need to meet for a specific experiment. Sometimes you need to be in orbit or you can just perform it landed. Sometimes you need special ressources such as plants. You can find that information on the experiment info box in the VAB.

I have a question myself: Are there any prequisites for welding ports together other than it has to be done by an engineer? I tested some welding in my sandbox game and the results were, well funny. I ended up with my station´s parts floating around all over the place :D.

I'm fairly certain the welding stuff are functions of KIS.   You have to be careful that you are selecting the correct part, which can be challenging from the Kerbal EVA position.

2 hours ago, Gristle said:

I'm fairly certain the welding stuff are functions of KIS.   You have to be careful that you are selecting the correct part, which can be challenging from the Kerbal EVA position.

The Mk2 docking port with MOLE is a welding port, and the one time I tried to weld them, the arm of the station disconnected and started floating off into space, including the retry.  Decided welding wasn't terribly important after that.

3 hours ago, Gristle said:

As for testing purposes I have some station parts connected by two MKI docking ports. I tried to weld both docking ports in any order with similar results (station disassembly).

51 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

The Mk2 docking port with MOLE is a welding port, and the one time I tried to weld them, the arm of the station disconnected and started floating off into space, including the retry.  Decided welding wasn't terribly important after that.

Exactly that is what happens to me too. The station is disassembled not only where the docking ports are located but on other part connections too.

Welding would be very nice if it worked since it enables you to lauch a station with several launches and assemble and extend it on site once you unlock more advanced tech nodes or want to add something to a station.

I grabbed a fresh install of KSP and only got KIS/KAS and MOLE for testing purposes. The result was still a station disassembling. Does welding work for anyone and would they be so kind to describe the requirements and steps?

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Unfortunately I think welding is broken in 1.3. I may just disable it entirely for now.

Angel! :) That´s unfortunate and I might have to change my designs and launch bigger ships but it is good to know.

The science gaining is lots of fun though as soon as you get a hang of it. You have to actually spend time on researching experiments and there is an ice cream experiment, you have to love that one :sticktongue:.

5 minutes ago, dr_evil said:

Angel! :) That´s unfortunate and I might have to change my designs and launch bigger ships but it is good to know.

The science gaining is lots of fun though as soon as you get a hang of it. You have to actually spend time on researching experiments and there is an ice cream experiment, you have to love that one :sticktongue:.

It's not as intuitive as stock science for sure, and if you're familiar with Station Science, the LDEF parts work similarly. I actually built MOLE's science system when it appeared that Station Science was fading away. Fortunately it has new management :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.