[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Mark One Laboratory Extensions (M.O.L.E.)

Angelo Kerman

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yup! This was originally a collaborative project with Pak. I'd make the plugin and he'd make jaw dropping artwork. Unfortunately, I could not make the plugin work. But sirkut was kind enough to provide the missing link- literally! Now we're both unstuck. :)

Gosh, that caught me off guard. I was just coming in really careful on a bit of debris I planned to deorbit (launching Kerminis made quite some empty Skipper stages and I want to dekesslerise "legitimately", not with some space laser) and the forum gave me a message.

Anyway, even more proof of Kanadarm! Coming soon to a KOL (Kermanned Orbiting Laboratory) near you. I think a Kanadarm (what's the kool arm's actual name?) would be cool to put on my next Debris-B-Gone, it'd be cool to watch the arm extend into the debris I want rid of.

Edited by TDplay

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

MOLE is finally getting a programmable robotic arm!

Robot arms are awesome!

Some questions, though:

Is this going to be a single part arm, or a collection of parts that can be built into an arm?

And will it be self-contained in MOLE, or require additional mod support?

What, exactly, does the "programmable" mean?

Edit:

Yeah, I should have watched the video first.  It answered most of my questions.

Edited by razark

21 hours ago, razark said:

Robot arms are awesome!

Some questions, though:

Is this going to be a single part arm, or a collection of parts that can be built into an arm?

And will it be self-contained in MOLE, or require additional mod support?

What, exactly, does the "programmable" mean?

Edit:

Yeah, I should have watched the video first.  It answered most of my questions.

KerbalActuators will be bundled with MOLE.

7 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@Angel-125 Will this arm have the same sort of issues as IR sometimes gets?  Displaced joints upon vessel load, or vessel switch being one of my "favourite" issues...  Or will this be simply animations like your rotating DSEV Hub part? i.e. no physics involved is what I think I'm asking....

It's a single part, no joints are used in the handling of the translations of the arm. There will be no sagging or anything with this method. If you are familiar with Romfarer's Lazor mod, he had a robotic arms pack, it functions similar to that method and not infernal robotics "method."

8 hours ago, sirkut said:

It's a single part, no joints are used in the handling of the translations of the arm. There will be no sagging or anything with this method. If you are familiar with Romfarer's Lazor mod, he had a robotic arms pack, it functions similar to that method and not infernal robotics "method."

Excellent!!  Although I'm not familiar with the Lazor mod, I think I get the idea.  Great work guys!  Thanks

Thought I'd share a few beautiful shots of my space station in its ~750km orbit of Kerbin. Crew have been aboard once, but aren't currently aboard. The tug module features an MPU for extended-duration undocking (but why would you be undocked for longer than the batteries last, anyway?).

Spoiler

2cq0f4l.png

2cs72v9.png

Also, next time you update MOLE, can you include a Mk1 variant in which the top node is actually .625 m? It's kinda bugging me that Mk1's top is the wrong size (it isn't quite the same size as the .625m parts such as the RCS/torque/chute module).

Edited by TDplay
The orbit is 10x higher than 75km!

2 hours ago, TDplay said:

Thought I'd share a few beautiful shots of my space station in its ~750km orbit of Kerbin. Crew have been aboard once, but aren't currently aboard. The tug module features an MPU for extended-duration undocking (but why would you be undocked for longer than the batteries last, anyway?).

Also, next time you update MOLE, can you include a Mk1 variant in which the top node is actually .625 m? It's kinda bugging me that Mk1's top is the wrong size (it isn't quite the same size as the .625m parts such as the RCS/torque/chute module).

Very nice! I'll think about the capsule, but for now you might consider using the Korona capsule mesh as the external mesh for the Mk1 capsule. The Mk1 pod's IVA won't line up right but it does have a 0.625m top.

MOLE's 1.4.1 update is coming along nicely. I'm going to hold off adding new parts and instead am concentrating on optimizing some meshes to improve rendering performance. I had personal stuff to do this weekend so I'm not done yet but I should have things ready to go later next week. :)

On 3/18/2018 at 4:42 PM, Angel-125 said:

Very nice! I'll think about the capsule, but for now you might consider using the Korona capsule mesh as the external mesh for the Mk1 capsule. The Mk1 pod's IVA won't line up right but it does have a 0.625m top.

...Time for an MM patch!

+PART[mk1pod]
{
	//change name, manufacturer and description
	@name = wbimk1pod
	@manufacturer = Wild Blue Industries
	@title = Korona Command Pod
	@description = Public uproar over the Mk1 pod being the wrong size on top led us to remodel the Mk1 Command Pod. We're thinking about putting some probe parts in it and making a supply capsule too.

//change model
	!mesh
	MODEL
	{
	    model = WildBlueIndustries/MOLE/Assets/Korona
	}

//change nodes
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.3995095, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.51, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
}

Feel free to include it in the next release of MOLE (but obviously change the IVA to fit properly). You don't need to ask, it is 99% your work after all.

EDIT: Don't use it in its current state though, it's currently pretty much a Mk1 pod with a buried top node. Got it working, updated post.

Edited by TDplay

23 hours ago, TDplay said:

...Time for an MM patch!

Feel free to include it in the next release of MOLE (but obviously change the IVA to fit properly). You don't need to ask, it is 99% your work after all.

EDIT: Don't use it in its current state though, it's currently pretty much a Mk1 pod with a buried top node. Got it working, updated post.

Thanks! I'd rather not change the stock Mk1 pod, but I'll look at making a version of the Korona for next release. Meanwhile,

MOLE 1.12 is now available:

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Recompiled for KSP 1.4.1
- Optimized several meshes to help improve rendering rates.
- Lightened the Brumby capsule's dry mass to make it comparable to the DLC mk2.
- The Brumby can now carry two science experiments.
- The Bigby Crew Module can now carry four science experiments.
- Removed helmet requirements in the Appaloosa, Brumby, and Bigby Crew Module to remain consistent with stock command pods.
- Fixed MOBL crew spaces.
- Fixed several part descriptions.

Experiments
- Added new Breakthrough Research experiment. It has a small chance of creating an experimental version of a part that's located in an unresearched tech node. The experimental part is fully functional, just like those that you get with part test contracts. You have a chance to create an experimental part even after the Breakthrough Research experiment stops producing Science.

Just now, Angel-125 said:

Thanks! I'd rather not change the stock Mk1 pod, but I'll look at making a version of the Korona for next release. Meanwhile,

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Removed helmet requirements in the Appaloosa, Brumby, and Bigby Crew Module to remain consistent with stock command pods.

Experiments
- Added new Breakthrough Research experiment. It has a small chance of creating an experimental version of a part that's located in an unresearched tech node. The experimental part is fully functional, just like those that you get with part test contracts. You have a chance to create an experimental part even after the Breakthrough Research experiment stops producing Science.

My patch doesn't change the stock one, it creates a copy then changes its model. (the + tells MM to copy)

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Bug Fixes & Enhancements

Experiments

The manipulator in this release has not got? And it will work at 1.3.1?

5 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

The manipulator in this release has not got? And it will work at 1.3.1?

Not in this release, and not in 1.3.1. Next update will be MOLE's Feature Complete update, and will have the arm. Still 1.3.1 though. The 1.4.1 plugins might work in 1.3.1, but warranty void if you try.

26 minutes ago, Barklight said:

This looks really fun!  I've just started my 1.4.1 play with Kerbalism, though.  Anyone know if this plays well with it, or if there are wonky issues with science and kerbalism resources?

MOLE and Kerbalism both deliver their own science mechanisms. Here's hoping Kerbalism does not interfere with MOLE.

1 hour ago, Barklight said:

This looks really fun!  I've just started my 1.4.1 play with Kerbalism, though.  Anyone know if this plays well with it, or if there are wonky issues with science and kerbalism resources?

I’m running older versions of both (KSP 1.2.2), MOLE does not seem to interfere with Kerbalism, however some of MOLE’s functionality, especially with science, is indeed quite wonky. Not game-spoiling, just expect some things not to work right. 

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Not in this release, and not in 1.3.1. Next update will be MOLE's Feature Complete update, and will have the arm. Still 1.3.1 though. The 1.4.1 plugins might work in 1.3.1, but warranty void if you try.

That's awesome! It's just amazing! :)

Yesterday I only managed to try the version under 1.3.1. And I liked it! Today put the most the latest release. And it also works at 1.3.1. Though the game when loading it reports that it is the wrong version. But it's such a small thing, isn't it? Additional updated to the latest versions of ASET and RM. And I got a great types of IVA. :)

I used to love the Corvus mod, but yours is better. I think to use them together, as well as my favorite SSPX from Nertea. Now I have enough spare parts to build a great career.

I'll wait for your manipulator. Canadarm is too big in size and had problems already at 1.3.0 (I did not try this mod at 1.3.1). IR parts also have problems and often break my station (I use only the sampler for the surface to get samples of soil without the participation of the crew). But I really want to do something similar to the ISS manipulators.

PS. Footprints on the lockers in the large module to the station - it's cool!:cool:

There is a problem with version 1.3.1. I do not understand whether it is this mod or the other two (and RP ASET). But I after some time become inactive buttons of the program interface, can't get out of the locations, navigate menus, and more. I will check with the previous version of this mod.

13 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

There is a problem with version 1.3.1. I do not understand whether it is this mod or the other two (and RP ASET). But I after some time become inactive buttons of the program interface, can't get out of the locations, navigate menus, and more. I will check with the previous version of this mod.

Without logs there' s nothing I can do...

Meanwhile, this is what I wanted to do originally, but couldn't figure out how:

JRsr1nG.png

XcHXHdK.png

What a difference 2 years makes! :)

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Without logs there' s nothing I can do...

I understand that, but... ;.;

The problem is that when the game hangs inactive no button. I can see the picture, but I can't switch the context menu. I cannot call the debug menu and view the log because the Alt+F12 button combination does not work. And most importantly there is no log, there is no error in the game directory after that. The game turn off by a reset via external command. Does not work on another. This applies to the latest version under 1.4.1. Version under 1.3.1 works so far without any weirdness. Yesterday I built a few test ships, checked how they behave in the sandbox mode. In a career while the new ships were not launched, but tests on the launch pad caused no problems. Everything is working correctly. I understand that there are some changes in 1.4.1 that conflict with 1.3.1. Until I switch to 1.4.1, so I will use the old version of the mod.

2 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

The problem is that when the game hangs inactive no button. I can see the picture, but I can't switch the context menu. I cannot call the debug menu and view the log because the Alt+F12 button combination does not work.

He means the ksp.log file in your root game directory. :) It’s a copy of the in-game log, and can get rather large, especially when there’s lots of errors. You can upload it to a service like Dropbox then post the link here. 

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

He means the ksp.log file in your root game directory. :) It’s a copy of the in-game log, and can get rather large, especially when there’s lots of errors. You can upload it to a service like Dropbox then post the link here. 

I know what this is about. But the fact of the problem is that there is this log in the root directory. The game is unloaded without error and I can not see what breaks it. It just stops working, that's all. Only a forced restart through Windows task Manager helps.

Just in case, I repeat: I am talking about using the latest version of the mod under version 1.4.1 in the game 1.3.1. Mod of the version 1.3.1 is working fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.