CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

Been having a problem with ckan for awhile and have tried to fix it myself with fresh installs and all I could think of and as of yet haven't found a solution. I've had ckan for quite some time but as of late I am now unable to add any new ksp installs to the program whenever I go into my folders I only get the option of open rather then select as I use to. In the command prompt for ckan it shows this line of text.

159 {1} WARN CKAN.KSPManager (null) - KSP_win64 (0) at C:/Users/SeanS/Dowloads/ksp-win64-1-2-1/KSP_win64 is not a valid install

No longer have this install as I deleted CKAN and all my KSP installs when this started.

I'm having an issue with updating mods.  All I clicked was to apply available updates and apply.  Error is below.

Spoiler

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.PathErrorKraken: f:/program files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/SmartParts/Parts/Fuel-Breakers is already absolute
   at CKAN.KSPPathUtils.ToAbsolute(String path, String root)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.<AddParentDirectories>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String dir)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.<SelectManyIterator>d__16`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1.UnionWith(IEnumerable`1 other)
   at System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.AddParentDirectories(HashSet`1 directories)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Uninstall(String modName)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.AddRemove(IEnumerable`1 add, IEnumerable`1 remove, Boolean enforceConsistency)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Upgrade(IEnumerable`1 modules, NetAsyncModulesDownloader netAsyncDownloader, Boolean enforceConsistency)
   at CKAN.Main.WasSuccessful(Action action)
   at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///F:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/GameData/ckan.exe
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1636.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Dynamic
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Got a question about exporting mod lists from CKAN
When you've installed some mods the installed-default.ckan file is generated and contains the mods listed as "depends" and includes their version numbers.  

"depends": [
	{
		"name": "KAS",
		"version": "0.6.2.0"
	},
]

If you then go to ckan, File -> Export installed mods and save it to another file then in that export the same mods are listed but under "recommends" and without version numbers; 

"recommends": [
	{
		"name": "KAS"
	},
]

Also when you've exported to another file it rewrites the installed-default to be the same. So then both files list the mods as "recommends" rather than "depends".  

Just wondering what the difference is. I've got a bit on KerbalX that can read a list of mods from ckan files and previously I've expected all the mods to be listed as "depends", can I essentially consider "recommends" as being comparable?

On 28/02/2017 at 10:32 AM, brygun said:

Request:

Can we add to the "File" menu a "Flush" which marks all mods for uninstall. This would help large scale mod swapping like having a vanilla game; a modded but still Kerbin game and a Real Solar System all on one save.

Related: I haven't figured out how to have multiple installs on my Steam install and did once have to manually flush due to mod errors. If you know a way to do that please respond privately rather then in the CKan thread.

An "uninstall all" option has been raised before and will probably happen eventually.

KSP has no copy protection, so you can just copy the entire KSP folder from your Steam library to another location to clone your KSP install. This is not a secret.

On 02/03/2017 at 10:59 PM, katateochi said:

Got a question about exporting mod lists from CKAN
When you've installed some mods the installed-default.ckan file is generated and contains the mods listed as "depends" and includes their version numbers.  

"depends": [
	{
		"name": "KAS",
		"version": "0.6.2.0"
	},
]

If you then go to ckan, File -> Export installed mods and save it to another file then in that export the same mods are listed but under "recommends" and without version numbers; 

{
		"name": "KAS"
	},
]

Also when you've exported to another file it rewrites the installed-default to be the same. So then both files list the mods as "recommends" rather than "depends".  

Just wondering what the difference is. I've got a bit on KerbalX that can read a list of mods from ckan files and previously I've expected all the mods to be listed as "depends", can I essentially consider "recommends" as being comparable?

The installed-default.ckan file is something CKAN uses to know which mods you have selected to install, and is used a little weirdly compared to other .ckan files.

When you export to a favourites list, it just lists the mod names, and makes them "recommends" so that if any single mod is not available, the whole selection does not automatically fail. The idea is that a favourites list should be usable across different KSP versions, which will generally mean different mod versions will be compatible, and not all will be available.

3 hours ago, politas said:

The installed-default.ckan file is something CKAN uses to know which mods you have selected to install, and is used a little weirdly compared to other .ckan files.

When you export to a favourites list, it just lists the mod names, and makes them "recommends" so that if any single mod is not available, the whole selection does not automatically fail. The idea is that a favourites list should be usable across different KSP versions, which will generally mean different mod versions will be compatible, and not all will be available.

ah, thankyou! I've adjusted KerbalX to be able to read either now, but I think I'll also change it so the .ckan files it generates will list the mods as "recommends" too.

Why the hell didn't I start using this sooner. I've seen Scott Manley using it and I never got around to trying it myself. Only just started using it, still figuring it out, but it looks like CKAN will make handling my mod-installs SO much easier! Thank you!

I've just installed CKAN, but I already have a packed GameData folder with many mods. 3/4 of them support CKAN, but were installed manually. Can I somehow get the CKAN to recognize CKAN-capable mods in my GameData, or I have to remove mods and reinstall them from CKAN?

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:29 AM, Cheetah said:

I've just installed CKAN, but I already have a packed GameData folder with many mods. 3/4 of them support CKAN, but were installed manually. Can I somehow get the CKAN to recognize CKAN-capable mods in my GameData, or I have to remove mods and reinstall them from CKAN?

Converting an AD to a CKAN managed directory has been an issue a long time, because CKAN original philosophy is to not harm the install, and back out any changes it makes if there are conflicts or anything like that. Its a bit more complex of a task than it seems on the surface. As far as I know there is no way around deleting the addon directories and then reinstalling them with CKAN to get them out of "AD" status.  This is how you do it. 

Step 0. Back up your Gamedata and CKAN directories up first!

1. OPTIONAL: Update all your mods MANUALLY to the latest version listed in CKAN.
  2. OPTIONAL: Run the game to make sure that didn't break anything.
  3. OPTIONAL: Backup your updated Gamedata directory someplace convenient. (for use later).
  4. Delete the CKAN directory in your main KSP directory.
  5. Delete everything except the Squad directory in your Gamedata
  6. Run CKAN and install all your mods. try to do just 4-5 at a time, because for some users, CKAN tends to choke on large lists.
  7. Once all your mods are reinstalled, run the game but do not load a save. This makes sure your CKAN installs load.
  8. Run CKAN update to make sure the AD is cleared. 
  9. OPTIONAL: Copy the original individual Gamedata/<whatever> directories from step 3 back over the fresh CKAN installed one. CKAN should still manage the updating - but you'll also get back anything you had saved inside that addon directory (like settings).  Run CKAN update one more time to make sure the AD is cleared. 

If you run into issues, simply restore from your Step 0 backups. Do not bother the authors of the mods, and maybe ask on CKAN's IRC or here for help.

Advice: Once everything is to your liking, export the list of installed apps to a file so you can use that if you ever need to do a scratch install - this will save you from having to checkbox the apps you want - CKAN can install directly from that.

nota beneThis is one of the things that possibly enters "YOYO" territory (You're On Your Own) - meaning CKAN likely will not and probably should not take responsibility for doing that sort of thing because it could irreparably damage your addons, installs, or even your saved games. That sort of policy is there to prevent CKAN from creating install problems that users improperly end up bothering mod authors about.  That's the sort of thing that in the past caused enormous anger in some mod authors toward CKAN, some of which remains even now -- for instance if you post about CKAN in <REDACTED> or <REDACTED> threads you'll get your head bitten off by them or their acolytes due to perceived severity/frequency of issues that have happened with CKAN installs of their mods in the past and the problems that it caused them. So it is a sensitive issue for a lot of people.

Edited by Murdabenne
clarification and redacting names

KSP 1.2.2, CKAN v1.22.1

I've been away for a couple of weeks.  Prior to leaving everything worked correctly.  On return, knowing that there have been several updates to mods I have, I started CKAN but get the following error.

Failed to connect to repository. Exception: Trying to write d:/programs/games/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/GroundConstruction/Icons/applauncher-icon.png but it already exists.

I have attempted a refresh from within CKAN, closed and restarted CKAN and rebooted my machine without resolution.  I've certainly not done anything to screw up my installation in the last two weeks :), so what can I do to resolve the error?

Here's a netkan I scraped together for my own little mod, Airline Kuisine. This is as far as I get since it's my first CKAN anything and while the CKAN tag appears on SpaceDock, it doesn't show in the UI. :)

It requires (one but not multiple, of course) LS mods installed. And I'd like the ability to separate the mode configs (or most preferred, if someone could show me what to do to the TAC configs) because there's the problem where when Snacks! is installed, TAC resources will add to parts alongside Snacks! resources.

Spoiler

"spec_version" : 1,
"identifier"   : "AirlineKuisine",
"$kref"        : "#/ckan/spacedock/1252",
"license"      : "CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0"
"$vref"        : "#/ckan/ksp-avc"
"name"         : "Airline Kuisine",
"abstract" : "Everyone's favorite life support in everyone's favorite shape. The Mk2 body.",

{ "name": "Firespitter" }
],
"suggests": [
	{ "name": "TACLifeSupport" }
	{ "name": "USI-LS" }
	{ "name": "Snacks" }
],

5 hours ago, S0NofTacos said:

I have installed this mod and can't get it to register with my game. I select The file KSP_win64 and it just wants me to open it. Is there a specific file inside that or do I need to reinstall again? Please help

You need to select the buildID64.txt file.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

KSP 1.2.2, CKAN v1.22.1

I've been away for a couple of weeks.  Prior to leaving everything worked correctly.  On return, knowing that there have been several updates to mods I have, I started CKAN but get the following error.

I have attempted a refresh from within CKAN, closed and restarted CKAN and rebooted my machine without resolution.  I've certainly not done anything to screw up my installation in the last two weeks :), so what can I do to resolve the error?

Find that file and delete it?

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Here's a netkan I scraped together for my own little mod, Airline Kuisine. This is as far as I get since it's my first CKAN anything and while the CKAN tag appears on SpaceDock, it doesn't show in the UI. :)

It requires (one but not multiple, of course) LS mods installed. And I'd like the ability to separate the mode configs (or most preferred, if someone could show me what to do to the TAC configs) because there's the problem where when Snacks! is installed, TAC resources will add to parts alongside Snacks! resources.

Reveal hidden contents

"spec_version" : 1,
"identifier"   : "AirlineKuisine",
"$kref"        : "#/ckan/spacedock/1252",
"license"      : "CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0"
"$vref"        : "#/ckan/ksp-avc"
"name"         : "Airline Kuisine",
"abstract" : "Everyone's favorite life support in everyone's favorite shape. The Mk2 body.",

{ "name": "Firespitter" }
],
"suggests": [
	{ "name": "TACLifeSupport" }
	{ "name": "USI-LS" }
	{ "name": "Snacks" }
],

You can separate the mode configs by using ModuleManager scripts that use the NEEDS keyword. I'm not entirely sure about the format, but there are plenty of mods with similar issues to handle that you can probably find.

3 hours ago, politas said:

Find that file and delete it?

Nice try, but it just found another png file that it didn't like.  Ground Construction is installed by UKS (MKS/OKS) so I uninstalled and reinstalled that mod.  This seems to have cleared that problem.

FYI, going through the rest of my mods, I ran into an unhandled exception when trying to update Configurable Containers (exception below).  I solved this by:

1. unistalling Configurable Containers which forced the removal of UKS (again) plus Ground Construction Core, AT Utils and Configurable Containers Core, then
  2. reinstalling UKS one last time.

KSP runs fine with no apparent problems.

Thanks for the great utility.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.ModuleNotFoundKraken: Cannot install TarsierSpaceTechnologyWithGalaxies, module not available
   at CKAN.CkanModule.FromIDandVersion(IRegistryQuerier registry, String mod, KspVersionCriteria ksp_version)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.<RelationshipResolver>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String name)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor(IEnumerable`1 module_names, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IRegistryQuerier registry, KspVersionCriteria kspversion)
   at CKAN.MainModList.ComputeConflictsFromModList(IRegistryQuerier registry, IEnumerable`1 change_set, KspVersionCriteria ksp_version)
   at CKAN.Main.<UpdateChangeSetAndConflicts>c__async1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CKAN.Main.<ModList_CellValueChanged>c__async0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
ckan
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Programs/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/ckan.exe
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1636.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Dynamic
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I also came back after a long break, and I saw a lot of those sorts of errors.  There were major version/dependency changes between Roverdude's MKS and its related files, and Allista's Containers and Ground Construction mods.  They were in flux at the same time, and I think some CKAN database (your local one) dependencies got tangled up - I know mine did. I had to basically uninstall and reinstall both sets.  Eventually I did a full scrape and reload (as described above), and that seems to have solved all the issues I was seeing.

14 hours ago, PanzerAce said:

Welp, that's awesome. Went to update mods today and Ckan crashed at startup. No error given. Ok, fine. Re-DLed it and same problem. Any ideas? (or is there an error log somewhere?)

Help us to help you. What OS ? Windows, MAC, Linux ? For MAC and linux mono might be issue. On windows you need .NET, make sure you have latest version and patches for it(windows update).

Backup CKAN files to folder outside of game install, delete all folders and files related to CKAN then try to run CKAN again. JSON registry files that CKAN need might become corrupted at some point, so this should fix it. Please note that I'm just regular user trying to help, if nothing of mentioned work, you will need to wait for staff members for better answer. Meanwhile, mentioned things might help to narrow down issue.

10 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Help us to help you. What OS ? Windows, MAC, Linux ? For MAC and linux mono might be issue. On windows you need .NET, make sure you have latest version and patches for it(windows update).

Backup CKAN files to folder outside of game install, delete all folders and files related to CKAN then try to run CKAN again. JSON registry files that CKAN need might become corrupted at some point, so this should fix it. Please note that I'm just regular user trying to help, if nothing of mentioned work, you will need to wait for staff members for better answer. Meanwhile, mentioned things might help to narrow down issue.

Windows 10. I'll update and see if that works. To the best of my knowledge my comp didn't apply any update b/w the day it worked and the next day when it didn't...

14 hours ago, PanzerAce said:

Windows 10. I'll update and see if that works. To the best of my knowledge my comp didn't apply any update b/w the day it worked and the next day when it didn't...

It is hard to tell withot any log or additional info, but my best guess here is that CKAN "registry.json" file become corrupted or something similar. Be sure that you backup everything in CKAN folder elsewhere. Then delete whole CKAN folder, leave just ckan.exe. Then try to run ckan again. It should re-create necessary files/folders again. You can then copy backup download folder, so you don't need to downlad all mods again. You might going to reinstall those mods, though, so CKAN can handle them in future, or just leave it as it is and uninstall / install some mod when it is updated.

Btw, my windows 10 at work have updating some system files today, still need to do similar on my home machine, don't know if that is reason for crash, though.

When i open "CKAN" a window appears with text inside it and "CKAN" doesn't open.

Text:

Spoiler

Unhandled exception:
CKAN.NotKSPDirKraken: Could not find KSP version in readme.txt
   bei CKAN.KSP.DetectVersion(String directory)
   bei CKAN.KSP.Version()
   bei CKAN.ChooseKSPInstance.UpdateInstancesList()
   bei CKAN.ChooseKSPInstance..ctor()
   bei CKAN.Main..ctor(String[] cmdlineArgs, GUIUser user, Boolean showConsole)
   bei CKAN.GUI.Main_(String[] args, Boolean showConsole)
   bei CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Gui(GuiOptions options, String[] args)
   bei CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Main(String[] args) 

Please help.

Thanks.

On 19/03/2017 at 11:40 AM, alex_1313 said:

CKAN.NotKSPDirKraken: Could not find KSP version in readme.txt

This isn't too obvious, but it's discussed in the CKAN FAQ. CKAN relies on the readme.txt in the root of your KSP install directory to figure out which KSP version you have. If that file is missing or has been overwritten by a manual mod installation, then you get an error like this one.

The FAQ has details about editing the readme.txt to make sure it has a valid version string that should resolve your problem.

Hey CKAN folk, I have some questions about setting up metadata repositories.

I have a mod that's still being heavily developed, but I'd like to start releasing binaries soon for interested parties to test. And I'd really, really like to use the CKAN to distribute them. :) So:

1. I was planning on creating a small custom metadata repository tracking my work in progress builds. Is that a sensible thing to do?
  2. I couldn't find any documentation on doing it, but a look at the other repos shows that a repo file seems to just be a tarball of .ckan files. Is there anything special involved in generating this, or is it really just a matter of writing a netkan, using it to generate one or more ckan files, and then uploading the resulting tarball somewhere?

The following is just my opinion:

This is a bad idea.  CKAN is intended for distributing and installing mods.  Yes, this can be done, it's fairly easy to do.  But, think of all the headaches you will incur from people who try to install it and it's broken.  Remember, it goes in CKAN and everybody will see it, many will install it just for the heck of it.

I do think that maybe setting of a secondary repository, for developers, may be a good idea, both from the developer's point of view and CKAN.  The developer gets to know that it is being installed in a very specific fashion, CKAN gets to know that the netkan file is tested and working before putting it into general distribution

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

But, think of all the headaches you will incur from people who try to install it and it's broken.  Remember, it goes in CKAN and everybody will see it, many will install it just for the heck of it.

This is why I want to use a private repository. That *doesn't* appear in the general CKAN listing. It's explicitly opt-in, like subscribing to the mechjeb or scansat CI repos, but with an added step as I wasn't even planning on trying to get it on the "official" repository list.