CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

On 13/11/2017 at 1:41 AM, Cat91 said:

For Mac users, I found out that using Wine to run ckan.exe also works...but it crashes when you click "check for update". (same as clicking "no") Using mono also crashes.

Have you looked at the Installing CKAN on OSX page? There are certainly people using CKAN on Macs successfully.

On 2017/11/14 at 12:30 AM, politas said:

Have you looked at the Installing CKAN on OSX page? There are certainly people using CKAN on Macs successfully.

Yes, I did everything that has said on the wiki page, including installing mono. But when I type in the code, it works fine at the auto update confirmation, but when I click a button it just crashed.:0.0: 

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to drop by, say "Hi," and thanks for either: 

1. whomever did a great job putting my new suit pack on CKAN, including adding TRR as a required mod, and listing Community Trait Icons, Portrait Stats, and MKS as recommended mods
  2. whatever automated system handled #1 from Spacedock.info

I only published the mod this morning, checked on it just now after work, and it has 76 downloads already.  Fired up CKAN on a new install, and there it was, ready to go.  Selected it, and it required TRR (although it listed two instances, not sure about that) and also recommended the other three mods.

Very nice work guys, and I appreciate it.  Thank you!

Oh, and "Hi."  

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've had an issue since the latest release of CKAN where it frequently has trouble resolving domain names.  Neither BIND Dig, nor Firefox has trouble finding the domains in question.

I wonder if the libcurl routines are improperly configured to have too short a DNS timeout.

p.s. for you non geeks.  It's failing to find the web server.  I wonder if it's not waiting long enough from for the reply matching the server's name to it's address.   (Almost missed a teachable moment.)   As of BIND Dig, it's a command line tool for looking up those records of server's addresses.

Edited by Ruedii

Hello 

I have KSP 1.3.0 with many mods, i want now to use CKAN.

what happens when i install CKAN and run it? Will it remove all mods or detect it my mods and, list them?

Whats about Updates (to KSP 1.3.1 in example) is CKAN updating all the mods to KSP-1.3.1, so i don't need to do it manually. (My Modlist is long :D)

Edited by SwissSpace93
Replaced text smile to Kerbalface

14 hours ago, Ruedii said:

I've had an issue since the latest release of CKAN where it frequently has trouble resolving domain names.  Neither BIND Dig, nor Firefox has trouble finding the domains in question.

I wonder if the libcurl routines are improperly configured to have too short a DNS timeout.

Is there a particular download that you find seems to suffer from this the most? The team would need to be able to reproduce the issue to investigate it and confirm whether a fix is effective.

EDIT: I took a look at the Curl code, and I don't see anything that looks like it might be messing up DNS timeouts (unless CurlSharp ships bad defaults). If you notice anything along those lines, please don't hesitate to file an issue on GitHub:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/blob/master/Core/Net/Curl.cs#L61-L85

Edited by HebaruSan

4 hours ago, SwissSpace93 said:

Hello 

I have KSP 1.3.0 with many mods, i want now to use CKAN.

what happens when i install CKAN and run it? Will it remove all mods or detect it my mods and, list them?

Support for manually installed mods is limited. CKAN will notice that those files are there and show them in various listings, but it will not try to remove them or upgrade them. To get the full benefits of using CKAN, it's best to start with a fresh game instance and let CKAN handle installing everything.

4 hours ago, SwissSpace93 said:

Whats about Updates (to KSP 1.3.1 in example) is CKAN updating all the mods to KSP-1.3.1, so i don't need to do it manually. (My Modlist is long :D)

This depends on whether the mods are manually installed or installed by CKAN. If they're manually installed, then you would have to upgrade them manually as well. If CKAN installed them, then it will be able to upgrade them after you update the base game. However, this doesn't fully guarantee a working game. If you have mods installed for 1.3.0 that have no versions compatible with 1.3.1, and you update to 1.3.1, those incompatible mods will still be there unless you ask CKAN to uninstall them. If you are thinking about starting to use CKAN and you are thinking about updating to 1.3.1, the easiest thing might be to combine those two changes; start a new 1.3.1 install and use CKAN to manage it.

CKAN 1.22.6 is crashing for me.

windows 8.1 x64 fully patched via windows updates

I tried on .NET 4.7 and just patched to .NET 4.7.1, with same results.

CKAN finds that there are available updates I click "Apply changes" then apply.  Then I get an .NET crash. The output is lager then this, but the forum wont let me post it.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at CKAN.Main._MarkModForUpdate(String identifier)
   at CKAN.Main.PostInstallMods(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)

2 hours ago, acidpaintball said:

CKAN finds that there are available updates I click "Apply changes" then apply.  Then I get an .NET crash. The output is lager then this, but the forum wont let me post it.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at CKAN.Main._MarkModForUpdate(String identifier)
   at CKAN.Main.PostInstallMods(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)

There's an issue report for that:  https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/pull/2184

4 hours ago, acidpaintball said:

The output is lager then this, but the forum wont let me post it.

FYI, you should avoid posting long files to the forums directly.  Instead, upload your file to Dropbox, Google Drive or any other reputable file sharing service and put a link to your file in your post.  This allows people to avoid downloading text they don't want to see, keeps the post shorter and the thread faster, and saves bandwidth for those on mobile devices.

Also, see this thread for future issues: How To Get Support (READ FIRST) - Technical Support (PC, modded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums

On 25/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, Ruedii said:

p.s. for you non geeks.  It's failing to find the web server.  I wonder if it's not waiting long enough from for the reply matching the server's name to it's address.   (Almost missed a teachable moment.)   As of BIND Dig, it's a command line tool for looking up those records of server's addresses.

On 27/11/2017 at 6:40 AM, HebaruSan said:

Do you have the KSP_CKAN_USE_CURL environment variable set? Because I don't think Curl will be used without that; the default is System.Net.WebClient:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/blob/master/Core/Net/NetAsyncDownloader.cs#L87-L93

As HebaruSan has noticed, we have moved away from using libcurl in favour of native C# downloads. You can use the environment variable mentioned above (set to any value other than null) to force CKAN to use libcurl as it used to. If you notice an improvement doing that, it would be very useful to try and get some solid data about the downloads that fail, so we can try to tweak things to improve it.

FYI CKAN is reporting a "corrupted file or not downloaded" for @Cetera's Suit Pack for TRR on the latest update. 

I just checked: it is downloaded, it is in the download directory 3395426C-Ceteras-Suit-Pack-1.03.zip and it manually unzips just fine.  So the issue appears to be either with CKAN or the metadata in netkan re:checksum.  I just wanted to head off any error reports due to this from going to the add-on thread instead of here, where it belongs IMHO.

Spoiler

CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install Ceteras-Suit-Pack 1.03, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList(ModuleResolution modules, RelationshipResolverOptions options)
   at CKAN.Main.WasSuccessful(Action action)
   at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2600.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Assembly Version: 1.22.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.22.6
    CodeBase: file:///F:/CKAN/ckan.exe
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

Edited by Murdabenne

1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

FYI CKAN is reporting a "corrupted file or not downloaded" for @Cetera's Suit Pack for TRR on the latest update. 

I just checked: it is downloaded, it is in the download directory 3395426C-Ceteras-Suit-Pack-1.03.zip and it manually unzips just fine.  So the issue appears to be either with CKAN or the metadata in netkan re:checksum.  I just wanted to head off any error reports due to this from going to the add-on thread instead of here, where it belongs IMHO.

Thanks for the report; I was able to reproduce this on the first try. Interestingly, the checksums in CKAN-meta match what I get with third party tools! Would you mind filing an issue for this on GitHub?

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues

9 minutes ago, Cetera said:

@HebaruSan @Murdabenne Anything I need to do to correct it?  I can upload again if it helps, too.  

Maybe, maybe not. Our zip library is saying "Compression method not supported" for one of the files in the zip (the icons cfg). If that's correct and your zip creation tool used a compression method that we don't support, then the correct solution would be for us to add support for that compression method. But we might need some info from you to figure that out, such as what tool you used. Would you mind sharing how you created the file? Though maybe we should continue this via PM...

19 hours ago, politas said:

As HebaruSan has noticed, we have moved away from using libcurl in favour of native C# downloads. You can use the environment variable mentioned above (set to any value other than null) to force CKAN to use libcurl as it used to. If you notice an improvement doing that, it would be very useful to try and get some solid data about the downloads that fail, so we can try to tweak things to improve it.

I'm using linux and honestly I think that subroutine just links to libcurl.  I'll try that environmental variable.   If it does fix it, I'll look into the .Net reference to see if there are some changes you can do to fix the issue.  You likely need to increase the DNS timeout and DNS retries.

p.s. Correction I misread the boolean test.  It never uses curl under Windows (to save shipping it.).

Could we get the option to select libcurl in the settings instead?

Edited by Ruedii
add more info

On 29/11/2017 at 2:57 PM, Ruedii said:

I'm using linux and honestly I think that subroutine just links to libcurl.  I'll try that environmental variable.   If it does fix it, I'll look into the .Net reference to see if there are some changes you can do to fix the issue.  You likely need to increase the DNS timeout and DNS retries.

p.s. Correction I misread the boolean test.  It never uses curl under Windows (to save shipping it.).

Could we get the option to select libcurl in the settings instead?

I haven't been able to find any way to adjust the DNS timeout and retries for the C# downloads, though we may be able to add an extra step to resolve the DNS entries prior to starting downloads (which has been requested already for satellite internet connections)

The hope was that we wouldn't need to worry about libcurl any more (thus no settings option)

Edited by politas

On 11/30/2017 at 3:40 AM, politas said:

I haven't been able to find any way to adjust the DNS timeout and retries for the C# downloads, though we may be able to add an extra step to resolve the DNS entries prior to starting downloads (which has been requested already for satellite internet connections)

The hope was that we wouldn't need to worry about libcurl any more (thus no settings option)

You could simply retry by parsing the error and running it again after a delay if it is on a list of errors that might be resolved with a retry.

I like the idea of running the DNS resolver first.  The DNS resolver routine should have a longer timeout.

Trying CKAN for first time - I installed it, it's pointed at the right Steam directory, it picked up most of the mods I already had and I've selected the rest that need to be replaced, but the Apply Changes button is grayed out. What is the stupid thing I am missing?

This is what is in the "favorites" file that supposedly outputs my list of mods. It threw no errors outputting this, which seems empty.

{
    "kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2017.12.09.04.30.09",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "recommends": []
}

Nevermind, reading through this again, I apparently need to throw away the hours of choices I've made and start all over and have to reselect the 300 mods that CKAN doesn't autorecognize and then copy in the 50 or 60 that CKAN doesn't have again.