CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

16 hours ago, Oneiros said:

I love the idea of CKAN, but have found the downloads to be a lot slower than grabbing them directly from spacedock/github, and also that whenever I try to cancel a slow download, the program crashes.

Are these known issues? I'm located in Australia, so I thought maybe the servers are slower for us. Of course it could also be my crappy public wifi, but I can still manage to get the files using chrome direct download, with larger files sometimes needing one or two retries.

There are various reports of problems with downloading, but to date most are a bit too nebulous and anecdotal to qualify as "known issues." I've made a start at organizing them with a Network label:

If you could contribute observations or measurements of the problems you're having that would help lead to solutions, that'd be much appreciated!

Ok, as promised: 

Pre-Release CKAN Client v1.24.0-PRE1 "McCandless" is now available

270px-BM_II.jpg

---

Changes since 1.22.6

### Features

• [Core] Add spec/schema to implement mod tags (#2034 by: smattiso; reviewed: ayan4m1, dbent, politas)
  • [Spec] Add CC-BY-ND licence options (#2160 by: MoreRobustThanYou; reviewed: Olympic1, politas)
  • [GUI] Change icon on filter button to something filter-y (#2156 by: politas; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Core] Add include_only fields (#1577, #2170 by: Zane6888, Olympic1; reviewed: politas)
  • [ConsoleUI] Create text UI inspired by Turbo Vision (#2177 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: dbent, Maxzhao, pjf, ProfFan, politas)
  • [Build] Create and release CKAN.app for Mac OS X (#2225 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Build] Debian package build system (#2187 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Core] Prompt to reinstall on change to include_only (No PR by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [GUI] Remember splitter positions and whether the window was maximized (#2234 by: politas; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Add right-click context menu (#2202 by: Olympic1; reviewed: HebaruSan, politas)

### Bugfixes

• [Build] Add skip_deploy to GitHub release deploy provider (#2151 by: dbent; reviewed: politas)
  • [Build] Fix build errors for UpdateCol (#2153 by: politas; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [Auto-updater] Move AskForAutoUpdates dialog to center of screen (#2165 by: politas; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [Core] Clean up registry lock file after parse failure (#2175 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Core] Purge 6 MB of bloat from `registry.json` (#2179 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Build] Only check first three segments of version in ci (#2192, #2195 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83, Olympic1)
  • [GUI] Initialize checkboxes to desired value at creation (#2184 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: mwerle, politas)
  • [GUI] Avoid crash with unavailable installed mod, improve error messages (#2188 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [CLI] Fix cmdline help text problems (#2197 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [CLI] Dispose registry managers before exit to prevent exceptions (#2203 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [GUI/CLI] Avoid NRE in install-from-ckan (#2205 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [GUI] Avoid NRE in TooManyModsProvide (#2209 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Core] Install version from file when installing from file (#2211 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas, techman83)
  • [GUI] Show mods with incompatible dependencies (#2216 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [GUI] Fix missing entries in dependency graphs (#2226 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Multiple] Add depending mod to missing dependency exception (#2215 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [CLI] Check game version compatibility when installing specific version (#2228 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83, politas)
  • [CLI] Make Cmdline modules case insensitive (#2223 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Build] Provide fresh auto updater in releases (#2212 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [CLI] Don't try to remove autodetected DLLs (#2232 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Core] Use shared installer code in GUI (#2233 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [Multiple] Include invalid instances in KSPManager (#2230 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Build] Check version of PowerShell in build script (#2235 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [Multiple] Add and change logging to make INFO readable (#2236 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Multiple] Use shared installer code in GUI and fix reinstall problems (#2233 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: Olympic1, politas)
  • [Multiple] Don't clear available modules till after the new list is ready (#2238 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)

### Internal

• [Build] Build Update (#2158 by: dbent; reviewed: Olympic1, politas)
  • [Build] Establish a .gitattributes file (#2169 by: Olympic1; reviewed: politas)
  • [Build] Remove unnecessary using directives (#2181 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Build] Cleanup project (#2182 by: Olympic1; reviewed: HebaruSan, politas, dbent)
  • [Core] Simplify IUser (#2163 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [NetKAN] Adapt Curse API to new widget (#2189 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [Reporting] Improvement of issues template to help with bug reporting (#2201 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: Olympic1)

### Notes

• This is a pre-release, so your client will not prompt you to automatically update to it.
  • You don't need to download AutoUpdate.exe. This is used internally by CKAN when a new version is released.
  • Windows users _must_ have .NET 4.5 installed. SImply download the ckan.exe file and either store it in your game directory or somewhere in your filesystem that you have non-admin write access. Never run the CKAN client as Administrator!
  • libcurl is no longer used by CKAN for Linux or Mac. If you experience problems downloading, please contact us
  • Mac/Linux/Mono users: please use the new cert-sync tool, to update mono's certificate store.
  • Mac Users: You should only need to download and install the CKAN.dmg
  • The .deb file is for automated installation on Debian-based Linux distributions - Use dpkg-install/apt-get/apt to install the .deb file and you will then be able to run CKAN with just `ckan` instead of `mono ckan.exe`. All required libraries should be pulled in as dependencies.
  • This release of the CKAN has not been tested on Mono 3.2.8. We highly recommend upgrading to the latest stable release of Mono from mono-project.com. You will need the equivalent of the mono-complete package for your OS.

---

Release image public domain, [courtesy NASA](https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BM_II.jpg)

• As you can see from the Changelog, huge, huge credits to @HebaruSan for tireless efforts making tightly focused small changes that are so easy to test and merge, and also for the massive effort on the new "consoleui" interface option, which is a thing of beauty for all us old-school nerds.
  • Also of note, @Olympic1 has added a right-click menu to the main GUI Mod list. It doesn't do a lot at the moment, but we hope to expand it with additional options.
  • Huge thanks to @techman83 as usual for keeping all our infrastructure running, and @pjf for dealing with the project hosting and finance stuff.
  • Thanks also to @dbent, @ayan4m1, @ProfFan, and @MaxZhao for testing and checking PRs
  • First PR changelog entries by @smattiso and @MoreRobustThanYou (GitHub IDs); we hope they keep contributing.
  • You may notice the "Add spec/schema to implement mod tags" up there - In order to get the client-side implementation of that, we really need to get some tags in our metadata, Adding a tag to a .netkan file is a pretty easy process, though we need to knock out a small set of agreed categories and other useful tags that we can use. If you'd like to get involved in that discussion and/or help out with a bunch of small and easy metadata edits, the relevant issue on GitHub is here.

There are a lot of changes in this release, which is why we are putting out a pre-release. We expect there will be some bugs that need ironing out. There's at least one more major PR that I've been working on that I want to include, but that may have to push out to a later release if we don't find many issues in this Pre-release. 

Edited by politas

A feature that might otherwise go easily unnoticed has been added, though as yet only in the new consoleui. It allows you to add mod zip files that you have downloaded using some other tool (eg your browser) to the CKAN cache. To access it, press <F10> to bring up the menu, select "Import downloads...", and then select the directory where your downloaded files are placed (eg, your default "Downloads" directory). Any files not already in the CKAN download cache will be copied over with the correct name for future CKAN use.

On 06/01/2018 at 4:14 AM, kcs123 said:

A bit off topic: anyone else noticed similarities between Bruce McCandless II and Tom Hanks ? Almost like they were twin brothers.

I can see a certain similarity.

Using 1.22.6 on Linux it seems to work now.

It may have been an issue with my previous setup.  I've replaced my entire install and am using a clean user directory as well. 

I'll get back and report any errors if DNS problems star occurring again.

Edited by Ruedii

Help?  This is with a completely fresh install of KSP and these are the only things I've selected.
I'm using 1.3.1, and everything there -says- it should be compatible with it.
Color me confused.

V30CgMm.png

Edited by slaintemaith

2 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Help?  This is with a completely fresh install of KSP and these are the only things I've selected.
I'm using 1.3.1, and everything there -says- it should be compatible with it.
Color me confused.

That mod has an incompatible second-order dependency; specifically RSS, which isn't available for 1.3 yet, so CKAN is just telling you that it can't be installed. The situation is clearer in the relationships view of the CKAN pre-release that politas announced earlier:

IYGivdM.png

Currently CKAN marks mods incompatible if any of their direct dependencies are incompatible with the current game version, but not "grandchild" dependencies like this, because it's a more complicated task. The team is having discussions about how to do it, though:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/2231

Thanks for the explanation!  That does make sense and sounds rather tricksy.

Interestingly enough, it works fine--even with scatterer and E.V.E.  (and a small modification to cope with Kopernicus)

It just requires manual install.

Edited by slaintemaith

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

Thanks for the explanation!  That does make sense and sounds rather tricksy.

Interestingly enough, it works fine--even with scatterer and E.V.E.  (and a small modification to cope with Kopernicus)

It just requires manual install.

While it would be nice to add RSS for KSP 1.3, it looks like that's currently only possible via ad hoc unofficial dropbox patches contributed by users. I don't think the RSS authors would appreciate a horde of CKAN users reporting issues caused by running their software on an unsupported version with who-knows-what patches applied.

Of course if @Galileo were to officially adopt RSS and incorporate his patches into full releases, that would be a different story. But he probably already has more than enough on his plate without maintaining a mod with 300+ current pages of support requests.

Not sure if anyone has asked this before, but could we please require SOME minimum level of description and access-to-author BEFORE allowing a mod to be hosted on CKAN?

Every time I run CKAN, I check for "New in repository" (note: it'd be great if we could expand this by allowing mods to be listed in chronological orderm or at least numerical order, by which they were originally indexed -- this would allow a power-user to find "new" mods more easily than checking EVERY time.)

Anyway, just now, I see one by the title "Nice MKseries Body," by author "Bingo."  Spacedock.info/mod/1644.

Can anyone HERE explain this mod to me?  Please don't tell me to install it and see for myself -- what if the mod changed a career-mode behavior that couldn't be glanced at in a sandbox career within 30 seconds of loading into KSP like an episode of Mod Spotlight from @Kottabos?  And by the way, I run a very mod-heavy install that already takes nineteen minutes to load into KSP.

And more to the point, why should I have to come HERE to ask such a question, when the repository really should have a hard-flag requirement of a forum thread prior to being listing-eligible?

26 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Not sure if anyone has asked this before, but could we please require SOME minimum level of description and access-to-author BEFORE allowing a mod to be hosted on CKAN?

I kind of agree (and for what it's worth, I'm the one that merged that pull request). We might have a productive discussion on this if you want to file a feature request:

Anyway, just now, I see one by the title "Nice MKseries Body," by author "Bingo."  Spacedock.info/mod/1644.

Can anyone HERE explain this mod to me?  Please don't tell me to install it and see for myself --

I think it's a new plane cockpit and/or fuselage, going by the screenshot on SpaceDock.

what if the mod changed a career-mode behavior that couldn't be glanced at in a sandbox career within 30 seconds of loading into KSP like an episode of Mod Spotlight from @Kottabos?

"Caveat emptor," I suppose. What are you doing installing a mod with no description if you have un-backed-up data in your save that you care about? :)

Anyway, I did consider asking the author to add a description, but it was an automated pull request from SpaceDock, which means no GitHub account to receive the notification, and with no forum thread, there was no other channel available to make that request.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎01 at 9:32 PM, Oneiros said:

I love the idea of CKAN, but have found the downloads to be a lot slower than grabbing them directly from spacedock/github, and also that whenever I try to cancel a slow download, the program crashes.

Are these known issues? I'm located in Australia, so I thought maybe the servers are slower for us. Of course it could also be my crappy public wifi, but I can still manage to get the files using chrome direct download, with larger files sometimes needing one or two retries.

Either way, great work on this project.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎02 at 1:42 PM, HebaruSan said:

There are various reports of problems with downloading, but to date most are a bit too nebulous and anecdotal to qualify as "known issues." I've made a start at organizing them with a Network label:

If you could contribute observations or measurements of the problems you're having that would help lead to solutions, that'd be much appreciated!

My experience is that the CKAN client (or possibly a backend dependency, such as mono / .net) just REALLY gets indigestion on longer download queues.  My own solution, with 85% effectiveness, is to simply limit myself to no single download batch larger than whatever I'd select from a single pageview-length of the repository.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it might even be the result of not even a limitation of CKAN itself, but an anti-DDoS feature of one of the download hosts, clamping down on too many rapid-fire download requests from the same IP.  This could account for the remaining 15% failure rate I observe even with my own workaround.

3 hours ago, MisterFister said:

My experience is that the CKAN client (or possibly a backend dependency, such as mono / .net) just REALLY gets indigestion on longer download queues.  My own solution, with 85% effectiveness, is to simply limit myself to no single download batch larger than whatever I'd select from a single pageview-length of the repository.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it might even be the result of not even a limitation of CKAN itself, but an anti-DDoS feature of one of the download hosts, clamping down on too many rapid-fire download requests from the same IP.  This could account for the remaining 15% failure rate I observe even with my own workaround.

Yeah, GitHub definitely throttles downloads (if you see a 403 status on a github.com URL, that's why), and CKAN currently exacerbates that by trying to download everything in parallel. That's one of the big outstanding issues that we do know about, but GitHub has refused to explain exactly how their download throttling works, so there's no specific workaround recommendation that we can guarantee would work with the current client. And even if we could, it's hard to tell the download host in the released client anyway, so it would be difficult to apply such a workaround effectively.

(This is separate from GitHub's API throttling, which is documented plainly and even has a URL that you can query to see your throttling status. Downloads operate in comparative secrecy.)

hi politas! ty for the post but..

i've tried everything, it seems simple so i copied the mods folders to the game data, it dont work so i installed the CKAN and istalled 3 mods. (environmental visual enhancements, gpp highres clouds and kerbal engimeer redux).

in the CKAN it says that the mods are installed but nothing hapens :(

i have windows 10 and las kerbal version sisnce i bought it from steam last yesterday. and i created a new carreer after installing the mods and nothing. would be nice to play with clouds and some city lights :)

can you figure out what i might be doing wrong?! seems simple but dont is actually, at least to a non computer expert like me hehe

ty in advance..

1 hour ago, Giuppa said:

i've tried everything, it seems simple so i copied the mods folders to the game data, it dont work so i installed the CKAN and istalled 3 mods. (environmental visual enhancements, gpp highres clouds and kerbal engimeer redux).

in the CKAN it says that the mods are installed but nothing hapens :(

i have windows 10 and las kerbal version sisnce i bought it from steam last yesterday. and i created a new carreer after installing the mods and nothing. would be nice to play with clouds and some city lights

The last few times I saw reports like this, the person reporting it had multiple copies of KSP and was installing mods in one copy and then running a different copy. Try File → Open KSP Directory to see where CKAN is installing mods.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

The last few times I saw reports like this, the person reporting it had multiple copies of KSP and was installing mods in one copy and then running a different copy. Try File → Open KSP Directory to see where CKAN is installing mods.

i just bought it from steam and have only one copy!! i just removed everything from game data except squad folder course and instaled just the EVE and KER mods via CKAN and the KER works but EVE dont! eve4 simply dont work :( let be the clouds so suahsuah

but ty hebarusan :)

6 hours ago, Giuppa said:

i just bought it from steam and have only one copy!! i just removed everything from game data except squad folder course and instaled just the EVE and KER mods via CKAN and the KER works but EVE dont! eve4 simply dont work :( let be the clouds so suahsuah

Do you have Scatterer installed with EVE?

15 hours ago, Giuppa said:

Leave KSP steam folder unmoded. One you made clean install in steam folder it is better to copy it elsewhere, like to "C:\KSP\" or some other drive if you ahve more HDDs. Then install mods on that copied folder. That way, whenever squad publish new patch over steam, your moded instance of KSP will be untouched. Meaning, you will have more stable version of KSP+mods until modder find some time to update their mods for latest version of KSP.

Plenty of other software shenanigans can be avoided that way. You will thank me later, just trust me on this one for now.

Brigadier, no i dont. in the last try i installed only EVE and KER.

kcs123 i'll do that! i didnt think about it . once the modes are ok with the new version o ksp  you copy it again and copy the carrer save game to the new?? 

13 hours ago, Giuppa said:

once the modes are ok with the new version o ksp  you copy it again and copy the carrer save game to the new?? 

Exactly. With some luck (depending on mods used) there will be no gamebreaking changes and you will be able to continue career game on new KSP version. In theory.

In practice, however, it is always possible that some mod will not be updated properly and something become broken when you load saved game started on previous version of KSP.
But, in such case you will at least have also older version of KSP where all mods still properly work, so you will be able to finish that career game in older KSP version.
It is also good that at that point you stop updating mods on older KSP version, bcause, despite some mod claims in version file that is compatible with earlier KSP, something may go wrong.

That is reason to hold on mod updates on older KSP version until you read what mod update brings new and double check on forums if it is really compatible.

23 hours ago, Giuppa said:

Brigadier, no i dont. in the last try i installed only EVE and KER.

Have you tried manually installing EVE?

I suggest you raise this in the EVE thread because it doesn't seem like a CKAN issue just yet.  Read this thread first: How To Get Support (READ FIRST) - Technical Support (PC, modded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums