CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

55 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

I think this needs a small netkan update.

Seems like author of mod changed ways how folder structure would look a like. Try to uninstall previous mod version first. Then check out if there is any leftovers of previous install (empty folders or folders of mod with some config/xml files or similar left still left in.

Delete those and try to install phoenix industries mod again. That should fix install issue if all files belongs to that mod.

In cases of dependencies, it can be indeed that something is poorly configured with netkan. I don't use this mod for myself, so I can't tell what is exact issue.
I hope it will help you to troubleshoot what is exact issue and narrow down origin of bug. That will help CKAN staff members to solve issue faster.

when I tell it to link to my KSP, it cant find the KSP launcher anywhere, even I've played the game and know it exists. Am I trying to link it to the wrong thing or is something wrong? I have uninstalled an reinstalled CKAN twice in the last 20 mins because of this :(.

EDIT: sorry for double posting. I thought this would merge with the other post, but it didn't for some reason.

Edited by nascarlaser1

I've seen 3 reports of missing mod versions lately that seem to be down to JSON formatting of the AVC version file. If there's a missing comma or an extra comma (it happens when people are maintaining JSON files by hand), the whole version gets left out of CKAN, but the author seemingly has no idea this has happened. This leads me to suspect that a JSON parser somewhere in the crawler is erroring out, but the error message is not being routed to someone who can fix the problem.

I have a feature suggestion: Add a NetKAN field to track the email address of the person responsible for a mod's CKAN listing, so crawler errors can be sent there.

6 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I've seen 3 reports of missing mod versions lately that seem to be down to JSON formatting of the AVC version file. If there's a missing comma or an extra comma (it happens when people are maintaining JSON files by hand), the whole version gets left out of CKAN, but the author seemingly has no idea this has happened. This leads me to suspect that a JSON parser somewhere in the crawler is erroring out, but the error message is not being routed to someone who can fix the problem.

I have a feature suggestion: Add a NetKAN field to track the email address of the person responsible for a mod's CKAN listing, so crawler errors can be sent there.

There is a page that reports errors in crawling - http://status.ksp-ckan.org/.  I wish we had enough people helping out with CKAN metadata to ensure that it gets checked regularly. There was an idea of having individuals responsible for a given netkan's maintenance, but that has not been successful. Too much turnover of volunteers.

5 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

does anyone know why when I install CKAN it wont find the KSP game inside of the KSP folder?? Am I doing it wrong?

You need to select the build.txt or build64.txt file in the CKAN folder.

7 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

has @politas left us forever?

Not forever. Work has been very busy since December; I'm doing a lot of overtime. Will be back to CKAN when things settle down. If anyone would like to step up and do some metadata updates, we always welcome new contributors and offer help and advice to get up to speed with the vagaries!

16 minutes ago, politas said:

There is a page that reports errors in crawling - http://status.ksp-ckan.org/.  I wish we had enough people helping out with CKAN metadata to ensure that it gets checked regularly. There was an idea of having individuals responsible for a given netkan's maintenance, but that has not been successful. Too much turnover of volunteers.

Good to know they're not just dumped into a black hole; I appreciate the very real non-technical challenges in running something like that. Would you be open to some pull requests to redesign that page (assuming it's generated by code currently on Github)? I think I see some opportunities to ease the burden of working these errors.

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Good to know they're not just dumped into a black hole; I appreciate the very real non-technical challenges in running something like that. Would you be open to some pull requests to redesign that page (assuming it's generated by code currently on Github)? I think I see some opportunities to ease the burden of working these errors.

Certainly!

4 hours ago, politas said:

Certainly!

... OK, I'm stumped. I read through enough of the CKAN and NetKAN-bot repositories to get a sense of where the exceptions come from and where they go, but I was not able to find anything resembling a web page renderer (or any other page on the internet containing that page's title). Would you mind pointing me in the right general direction? Maybe it's in a different repo?

Also, a minor point of clarification from earlier: the version files that I have seen causing problems are not part of CKAN's metadata, strictly speaking; they're inside of the mod downloads themselves. So these problems wouldn't necessarily be apparent to a CKAN project member reviewing a netkan pull request.

12 hours ago, politas said:

@politas

The errors shown on that page are rather cryptic.  I tried looking into one (reported error is: 

Unexpected character encountered while parsing number: :. Path '', line 1, position 3.

but it doesn't say what file or anything else.

I've sent messages to the authors of the following mods about syntax errors:

• PartAngleDisplay
  • HistoricalProgressionTechTree
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@politas

The errors shown on that page are rather cryptic.  I tried looking into one (reported error is: 

Unexpected character encountered while parsing number: :. Path '', line 1, position 3.

but it doesn't say what file or anything else.

Oh, the .netkans are referencing missing files, I've sent a message to Roverdude about it

5 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I don't have any CKAN folder. When I installed CKAN all it gave me was the program... anyone know how to fix? I installed latest version from link in OP. I am using ksp version 1.2.2.

The ckan.exe program is all you download. a CKAN folder gets created in your game folder when you run the CKAN client successfully.

20 hours ago, politas said:

The ckan.exe program is all you download. a CKAN folder gets created in your game folder when you run the CKAN client successfully.

how do you run it successfully? I think I am messing something up :(. I still cant figure out how to make it find my KSP version.

Request to the CKAN Team. Could you update this mod within the system?

It looks like CKAN still has the really old "Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack" from 0.23.5 rather than the package that was updated to work with newer versions of the game. Old link for reference:

On 2/1/2017 at 7:51 AM, politas said:

We've said it before, and I'll say it again - There is no way to add "last updated" date for mods without completely rewriting the way we find mod updates automatically. It's not going to happen. We're talking replacing most of our infrastructure code.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate the answer very much. One other thing - is it possible to add a "select all / deselect all" to the checkboxes? That would rock. If not, I can always export a blank list of mods to use as a baseline.

I came across a bit of weirdness, was wondering what was going on.

I'm writing a script which will download mods from github based on what's in the CKAN-Meta files.  I came across at least one case  which has what appears to be wrong info.

Specifically, the ckan file for AoATechnologies

In all 4 of the .ckan files in the repo, the repository info is:

"repository": "https://github.com/WolfairCorp/AoA-Technologies/tree/Update",

I was getting errors on this, so generated a new ckan file from the .netkan, this one had the correct info:

"repository": "https://github.com/WolfairCorp/AoA-Technologies/",

Any idea what's going on?  there may be others, this is the first one I was looking into.