CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

I'll confirm that on linux, under the same conditions (new fresh ksp steam install, ckan in the ksp folder, install stock visual enhancements with selected dependencies) the installer seems to crash. It doesn't display the same crash dialog, but it hangs at the same point the windows CKAN crashes for at least a couple hours before I gave up and stopped it.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:20 AM, Maxsimal said:

1. The check boxes are very slow to click to select some items - for instance, which mod you want to install.  2-3 seconds of latency between click and checkmark appearing.

I'm seeing this too, and it's not a new thing.
It's been there at least 2 versions, and it appears that the UI gets progressively less responsive as more changes are marked.
When I first installed 1.3 and tried to install my usual ~60 mods, I got to about 20 selected before the UI became so slow as to be unusable - 5-10 seconds between clicking and a mark appearing in the checkbox. The entire UI appears to freeze for the duration. Please, whoever wrote this UI, if you've got background work to do at least provide some visual feedback that you're working on it.
Video

Also, any chance we can have a UI that doesn't look completely out of place on a GNU/Linux desktop? Like, follows the system widget and colour themes properly?
I don't know what UI toolkit mono uses, but it sure is ugly...

Edited by steve_v

Last night (Sunday 2017Oct15) I launched CKAN and was greeted with a friendly message to update (to v1.22.5); so I did. after the install my Avast antivirus threw up a red flag saying that ckan.exe contained a trojan IDP.Generic. I personally assumed it was a false positive but rather than take any chances I'll simply let the file go to the virus chest (where the AV software put it) and put the previous version in it's place as it was working fine for me on Saturday, the day before.

I grabbed a copy of the 1.22.4 and copied that ckan.exe into the proper location on my system, where the  updated version installed to. But windows wont let me put the file there. I think that is strange and decide it must have something to do with the file that was put in the virus chest by Avast. I go into the quarantine zone, as it were, and delete out the suspicious file. The file is deleted permanently from my system but I still can't put a new copy of the program in the proper folder.  I can put other files in, I can put a copy of ckan(something here).exe in and it will even run. But nothing called ckan.exe can live in that folder now.

I go to an admin level cmd.com and do the following to make sure I'm not losing my mind 

G:\KSP 1_3>echo "test" > ckan.exe
Access is denied.

G:\KSP 1_3>del ckan.exe
Could Not Find G:\KSP 1_3\ckan.exe

G:\KSP 1_3>echo "Test" > test.txt

G:\KSP 1_3>type test.txt
"Test"

G:\KSP 1_3>del test.txt

G:\KSP 1_3>type test.txt
The system cannot find the file specified.

G:\KSP 1_3>del test.txt
Could Not Find G:\KSP 1_3\test.txt

G:\KSP 1_3>type ckan.exe
The system cannot find the file specified.

As you can see:
1 - I can't create a file with that name, ckan.exe
2 - The file isn't there or I would get a different message when I tried to delete it
3 - I totally have permission to create and delete files in the folder

I tried the simple stuff of rebooting and the complex stuff listed above. Anyone got any other ideas on things to try so I can get the correctly named file back into place (the only reason the file name matters is I like the auto update feature when it works and I don't want to have to create a new shortcut every time the program updates).

Thanks in advance
~ Torr

My response to any software doing something moronic like what Avast just pulled is pretty simple: nuke it.
Seriously, is there any "free" AV product out there that isn't a steaming turd?

On a more helpful note: You have tried shutting down Avast, right?

TL;DR That worked, Thank you @steve_v

39 minutes ago, steve_v said:

My response to any software doing something moronic like what Avast just pulled is pretty simple: nuke it.
Seriously, is there any "free" AV product out there that isn't a steaming turd?

On a more helpful note: You have tried shutting down Avast, right?

Well I thought I had but just to be sure I tried again by disabling the AV for 10 minutes to verify I couldn't create a file named ckan.exe with it turned off, this time it let me. So I very quickly cleared out the test file and renamed my ckan1224.exe to ckan.exe and all seems right with the world.

I can't answer the question about the "free" AV products out there as I haven't tried enough of them. While we (all computer users) wish that we would never see a program flagged with a false positive on a scan, as someone tasked with keeping a companies worth of computers (more than 70) functioning at all times, I would much rather deal with a few false positives and other quirkiness on extremely rare occasions than deal with something like CryptoLocker or other ransom-ware (not fun days, those).  But I totally understand why some people feel that way about AV software as those types of softwares always seems to get in the way. I look at it like this though: if you have your truly important stuff backed up and don't mind the occasional format re-install I can see running a system with no antivirus software of any kind cause all of them will get in the way at some point; but if you don't have time to deal with that, maybe the small time investment of when the AV gets in the way is worth it. But only the individual user (or IT Department at a company) can really make that assessment on a case by case basis as to the amount of risk they are willing to take is extremely variable from individual to individual.

Having said my piece about that subject, I would like to thank you for pointing out a glaringly obvious (meaning I should have thought of it and I'm ashamed I didn't) thing so that I would be forced to try it again in case I really didn't try it already (old days of phone support "sir or madam did you try [insert task here]" and thinking "they didn't ever actually try that cause when I had them repeat the task it fixed the issue" when they would inevitably say they already had don that thing. That is why I happily repeat tests when the tech support guy suggests them, cause maybe I didn't this time around and I just think that I did); had I actually done that test properly (or at all) I would have solved the problem last night.

Again thank you @steve_v, I genuinely do appreciate how you helped me today.
~ Torr

Edited by Torr1978
added TL;DR to the top

50 minutes ago, Torr1978 said:

I would like to thank you for pointing out a glaringly obvious (meaning I should have thought of it and I'm ashamed I didn't) thing

Always hit the simple stuff first, and hit it twice in case you missed something. :wink: We've all done it.

50 minutes ago, Torr1978 said:

I would much rather deal with a few false positives and other quirkiness on extremely rare occasions than deal with something like CryptoLocker or other ransom-ware

Yeah. I don't run AV when (on the rare occasion) I have to use Windoze, because I have robust backups and enough common sense to not open "invoice.pdf.exe" when it arrives from a random address in Slovakia, or expose insecure servers to the 'net. :rolleyes: I tend to run disposable, virtualised installs these days anyway.

But then there are Users. Users can never be trusted not to do something boneheaded, so when trying to keep a bunch of muggles PCs running properly an AV solution is pretty much mandatory.
Adding to the problem is that modern malware is often based on zero-day exploits (thanks a bunch, <insert government agency>), so traditional pattern-based detection doesn't work so well. Hence the expensive and intrusive heuristic approach.

I could probably put up with with the false-positives if it wasn't for every free AV product also including scareware, adware, toolbars, browser extensions and "PC tuneups"... To "add value"...
But it's when the AV obstructs explicit operator commands that I tend to get all scorched earth on the thing. That's just not OK.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, Torr1978 said:

Last night (Sunday 2017Oct15) I launched CKAN and was greeted with a friendly message to update (to v1.22.5); so I did. after the install my Avast antivirus threw up a red flag saying that ckan.exe contained a trojan IDP.Generic. I personally assumed it was a false positive but rather than take any chances I'll simply let the file go to the virus chest (where the AV software put it) and put the previous version in it's place as it was working fine for me on Saturday, the day before.

I would hugely appreciate full details of any AV flagging of CKAN clients. It happens fairly regularly, mostly because the code is unsigned. Unfortunately, preemptive whitelisting requests seem to be not available any more.

68747470733a2f2f75706c6f61642e77696b696d

Changes since 1.22.5

Bugfixes

• [GUI] Fix search box tab order (#2141 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [Core] Check for stale lock files (#2139 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: politas)
  • [NetKAN] Improve error output (#2144 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [GUI] REVERT #1929: Allow uninstall of incompatible mods in GUI (#2150 by: politas)

Notes

• Windows users must have .NET 4.5 installed.
  • libcurl is no longer used by CKAN for Linux or Mac. If you experience problems downloading, please contact us
  • Mac/Linux/Mono users: please use the new cert-sync tool, to update mono's certificate store.
  • Mac Users: There is a MacOS CKAN App launcher available thanks to the wonderful Maxzhao.
  • This release of the CKAN has not been tested on Mono 3.2.8. We highly recommend upgrading to the latest stable release of Mono from mono-project.com You will need the equivalent of the mono-complete package for your OS.

Release image public domain, courtesy NASA

Some more small fixes by HebaruSan, and I've reverted the change that was causing the TooManyModsProvideKraken errors. Also, unlike the last two releases, this ckan.exe is a release build, not a debug build, so it should run a bit faster.

19 hours ago, politas said:

I would hugely appreciate full details of any AV flagging of CKAN clients. It happens fairly regularly, mostly because the code is unsigned. Unfortunately, preemptive whitelisting requests seem to be not available any more.

When I got home from work tonight I attempted to recreate the issue when updating from CKAN 1.22.3 and CKAN 1.22.4 to the newest version to see if Avast grabbed it again. When updating from both those version to the current 1.22.6 via the updater I did not have have an issue.

When looking for my logs in Avast it shows places where I manually scanned the files but it doesn't have the log entry of the first time it caught something and moved it to the virus chest. I think it would be very bad if the system had the log removed when the file is deleted out of the "Virus chest" (aka quarantine) OR it never logs the auto grabs to being with (also not smart). This version of avast doesn't appear to be tied into the windows event logging system so I wasn't able to find an event about the catch there either.

If it happens again I'll do more to preserve the outcome for better reporting.

Edited by Torr1978
grammar/spelling errors (probably still missed some)

11 hours ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

Hey, is there a feature for CKAN to automatically downgrade/upgrade mods based on your version of KSP? My KSP is constantly crashing after I updated some mods, due to updating to support 1.3.1 on KSP 1.3.0. If not, please add one.

yes. that's the core function of ckan.... that's why people use it. doesn't seem to be picking up updated extraplanetary launchpads... despit it being update like 12 hours ago

Edited by Commissar
realfuels didn't update, lol

On 10/16/2017 at 11:47 PM, steve_v said:

Also, any chance we can have a UI that doesn't look completely out of place on a GNU/Linux desktop? Like, follows the system widget and colour themes properly?
I don't know what UI toolkit mono uses, but it sure is ugly...

You can join the conversation about the future of cross-platform C# GUIs here:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/1840

Last time I checked, some investigation had been done and GTK# was the frontrunner, but there was some concern that it might not be any better supported over the long term than WinForms was.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

You can join the conversation about the future of cross-platform C# GUIs

Last time I checked, some investigation had been done and GTK# was the frontrunner, but there was some concern that it might not be any better supported over the long term than WinForms was.

My personal preference is QT, but it's pretty C++ centric. I'm sure there are C# bindings, but they're probably messy...
I'd be happy with GTK - it's not bad to work with and it's been around a while. Looks like it's winning anyway, so I'll keep my trap shut for now. :P

7 hours ago, Brigadier said:

If you mean "how do I uninstall a mod from my game" in CKAN, just click on the check box on the mod line and then Apply Changes.

No, I mean completely remove it from CKAN so I can put it in CKAN with the proper dependencies, etc.

8 hours ago, Mrcarrot said:

No, I mean completely remove it from CKAN so I can put it in CKAN with the proper dependencies, etc.

You mean removing a mod from the repository so you can put it back on with the proper dependencies?

I think you can change that.

On 22/10/2017 at 10:17 PM, gendalf said:

Add an option to clean old version archives of mods from the CKAN\downloads folder

That sounds like a good alternative to simply emptying the cache, can you raise an issue for it? You can always sort the downloads folder by date and just delete anything too old.

1 hour ago, Tbrahn said:

I've been unable to install any mods. I keep getting a "Failed to download error" for ModuleManager and it's a dependency for almost every mod. 

Apparently Sarbian is having some problems with his server.

On 21/10/2017 at 2:10 AM, Grand Ship Builder said:

Hey, is there a feature for CKAN to automatically downgrade/upgrade mods based on your version of KSP? My KSP is constantly crashing after I updated some mods, due to updating to support 1.3.1 on KSP 1.3.0. If not, please add one.

Automatic upgrading is the main feature of the CKAN client. If you've downgraded your KSP version, I would strongly recommend a clean & reinstall, since there are just too many ways for things to mess up.

Edited by politas