CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

3 minutes ago, I3laze said:

Is GitHub down? I'm getting Connection to https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/archive/master.tar.gz could not be established. Trying to re download my mods from my .ckan file. 

No, but we just had 4 issue reports come in nearly simultaneously reporting this, so something's up.

Since SSL/TLS was mentioned, I wonder whether it's related to the last glitch with GitHub (the one that fixed itself before I could figure out what was happening).

Just now, HebaruSan said:

No, but we just had 4 issue reports come in nearly simultaneously reporting this, so something's up.

Since SSL/TLS was mentioned, I wonder whether it's related to the last glitch with GitHub (the one that fixed itself before I could figure out what was happening).

Yeah I get the SSL/TLS message too

On 2/8/2018 at 1:57 PM, kostor said:

Hi there,

Having trouble with "Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel."

I understood it has to do with Spacedoc, yet any answer I found was about a month ago.

The problem still exists?

Thanks.

On 2/8/2018 at 2:45 PM, HebaruSan said:

As I feared, while trying to figure this out, it seems to have started working again randomly.

@kostor, @Fobok, and @EasyAce, can you confirm?

The mystery is finally solved!

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16278620

Just a quick preview...we will be posting a blog post tomorrow morning with an update. Because of the delayed final blog post, we are delaying things by one week. The plan is to do a 1hr brownout on February 8th, followed by a permanent deployment on February 22nd. We realize that no matter how much notice (announced roughly a year ago), there are bound to be some systems that are both incompatible and unknowingly running on production systems. So, the hope is that a 1hr brownout will help to unearth such systems and give folks time to get them updated.

So that outage was a short preview of GitHub permanently turning off TLS 1/1.1 services, which they just did. TLS 1.2 is required now. Investigation proceeding here:

Edited by HebaruSan

I'm on 4.7 of .NET framework, and I'm having the problem. Is there a configuration or something I have to activate? (I've done the 'ckan update' route, with no luck.)

Edit: Yeah, I realized right after I clicked send I should report to the GitHub issue.

Edited by Fobok

2 minutes ago, Fobok said:

I'm on 4.7 of .NET framework, and I'm having the problem. Is there a configuration or something I have to activate?

Thanks for trying it. I don't know, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Fobok said:

(I've done the 'ckan update' route, with no luck.)

Did "ckan update" work, or print errors?

5 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Thanks for trying it. I don't know, unfortunately.

Did "ckan update" work, or print errors?

It showed the following:

PS D:\ckan> ./ckan update
Downloading updates...
Connection to https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/archive/master.tar.gz could not be established.
Updated information on 0 available modules

Just now, HebaruSan said:

You have my sympathy. I believe that button just deletes the files.

I thought doing a clean install would solve it so cleared the cache first. ;.; 

I'm not a software tech guy so I wonder how long something like this could take to resolve?

For all interested, there is a working test build listed in the thread on Github.

2 hours ago, Vigoroushydro said:

CKAN is broken, get to fixing please because you got a lot of people relying on it.

Be patient.  This just happened today, and there is already a working test build.  We (modders) don't get paid, this is not our day job.  So sometimes things may take a little while.  That being said, as I said, there is a working build if you look at the Github repo

3 hours ago, Vigoroushydro said:

CKAN is broken, get to fixing please because you got a lot of people relying on it.

I think you need to increase your support level before you can start demanding a fix. ;-)

Please remember that this is a work of love, not a service you are purchasing. The developer has no obligation to drop their other commitments just to fix an extra bit for a game.

For those who just want to play the game through CKAN - Go to the Game Directory > CKAN and open up GUIConfig.xml.  Under "CheckForUpdatesOnLaunch", set it to false. Relaunch CKAN and you'd still get an error, click "Continue". You should be able to run KSP from there. You can still uninstall mods but keep note that it'll throw out an error for every click - but you can just click Continue to keep skipping it.

7 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

So that outage was a short preview of GitHub permanently turning off TLS 1/1.1 services, which they just did. TLS 1.2 is required now. Investigation proceeding here:

Wait, CKAN is still using TLS1.1? :confused: Why?

TLS 1.2 has been around for ~5 years now, why on earth do you guys not have support for it? Everything supports 1.2 these days.

7 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Wait, CKAN is still using TLS1.1? :confused: Why?

TLS 1.2 has been around for ~5 years now, why on earth do you guys not have support for it? Everything supports 1.2 these days.

Default behavior of .NET 4.5, see https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/pull/2297. No piece of CKAN code specifies any version of TLS (except now it will have to, to fix this).