CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

OK guys, I checked the FAQ, scanned the thread (dunno what to really search for),and I didn't see answer, but I'm pretty sure this has been asked previously.  If so, even a link to the answer will be appreciated.  Apologize if this has been asked and answered already.

I just updated to 1.3.1 (reasons in my 1.4 thread).  I'm going to wait till 1.4.1 and the DLC drops so I can update again.  If I use Ckan, will it try to redownload all the mods if they have been updated for 1.4.1, even if it is just a recompile?  I'm on a metered connection and the 1.3 mod download took 3 days (including errors listed above).  Or can ckan use the cached versions of the mods if they are compatible?   If I have to reselect all the mods I have, is there a way to tell ckan to use my previous mod list?  (I've always done mods manually, but as the FAQ says, that's a PITA now).  

15 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

OK guys, I checked the FAQ, scanned the thread (dunno what to really search for),and I didn't see answer, but I'm pretty sure this has been asked previously.  If so, even a link to the answer will be appreciated.  Apologize if this has been asked and answered already.

I just updated to 1.3.1 (reasons in my 1.4 thread).  I'm going to wait till 1.4.1 and the DLC drops so I can update again.  If I use Ckan, will it try to redownload all the mods if they have been updated for 1.4.1, even if it is just a recompile?  I'm on a metered connection and the 1.3 mod download took 3 days (including errors listed above).  Or can ckan use the cached versions of the mods if they are compatible?   If I have to reselect all the mods I have, is there a way to tell ckan to use my previous mod list?  (I've always done mods manually, but as the FAQ says, that's a PITA now).  

Short answer: It's complicated. :)

If the exact same download of a mod is compatible with 1.3.1 and 1.4.0, and you installed it on 1.3.1 and still have the file in your cache, then yes, it would re-use that same download to install on 1.4.0 as well.

However, most mods are not like that. In most cases, the version in your cache will only be marked as compatible with 1.3.1, and a new version will be released that is compatible with 1.4.0. Sometimes this is because a recompile is needed, and other times it's because e.g. SpaceDock only lets you choose one game version, so a modder is essentially forced to create a new upload. For those mods, yes, CKAN would show that an update is available. But it won't re-download them automatically; if you install them on 1.3.1 and then upgrade to 1.4.0, those mods will still be there and it's your choice whether to leave them, uninstall, or upgrade.

Another factor is how many game instances you have. Currently each game instance has its own separate download cache (but we're working on merging them). So if you download a particular mod in one instance, it isn't automatically available for your other instances. This can be worked around by copying the contents of your CKAN\downloads folder from one instance to another.

2 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Not sure if this has been brought up before. Is the ability to browse mods while simultaneously downloading/installing; possible? Kinda like an Add to Queue thing?

No, but that's a nice idea.

Just thought I'd drop a message in here to say that Environmental Visual Enhancements (Plugin) and Waypoint Manager have been updated against KSP 1.4 but on CKAN they still have the max listed version as 1.3.9 and are therefore coming up as update-able packages for KSP 1.3.1.

I'm sure there will be more but those two reared their head for me this morning.

27 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Just thought I'd drop a message in here to say that Environmental Visual Enhancements (Plugin) and Waypoint Manager have been updated against KSP 1.4 but on CKAN they still have the max listed version as 1.3.9 and are therefore coming up as update-able packages for KSP 1.3.1.

I'm sure there will be more but those two reared their head for me this morning.

Not knowing this, I just downloaded these 2 via CKAN to my KSP 1.3.1 <sigh>.  EVE clouds have now disappeared.  Not blaming CKAN folks, however, from the EVE thread:

On 3/8/2018 at 2:13 AM, Mihara said:

Is version 1.4.0-1 meant to be compatible with KSP 1.3.1? CKAN thinks it is, and it installed the update into my copy of 1.3.1 today, but for some reason I don't see any clouds at all anymore...

Sounds like a NetKAN/CKAN bug, because the .version file has:

"KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
        "MAJOR": 1,
        "MINOR": 4,
        "PATCH": 0
    },

You'd have to ask the NetKAN maintainers. I'm no CKAN expert though, so I'm happy to accept a patch to the .version file.

Hmm... unless they've started scraping it from CurseForge instead - I decided to upload this release there too since many people use it for mod discovery, and they only just added 1.4.0 as a version option.

If this gets resolved, will CKAN download the correct version for my 1.3.1 or will have have to install manually?

BTW, AVC shows EVE as 1.4 but but not WPM, which doesn't doesn't show up at game startup. Odd.

Edited by Brigadier

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Environmental Visual Enhancements (Plugin) and Waypoint Manager have been updated against KSP 1.4 but on CKAN they still have the max listed version as 1.3.9 and are therefore coming up as update-able packages for KSP 1.3.1

Yet another reason for the much-asked-for ability to force a version from the GUI. Yes, the metadata should be fixed, but this does not mean one should have to poke about in the registry for version strings and use the command-line to fix ones install in the interim. General users do not have the access rights to update netkans metadata.

This kind of thing happens every KSP update, why do we still not have an easy way to downgrade a mod? How about a "lock version" option too? Every package manager I know of has both.

Edited by steve_v

9 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

No, but that's a nice idea.

Better yet would be a general "don't block the UI". Pretty much everything CKAN does can be done asynchronously, there's no reason to block the UI while resolving dependencies, downloading files, or even installing mods.
The UI freezing for several seconds when selecting a mod that has dependencies is particularly irritating, I've asked about this before.

9 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Better yet would be a general "don't block the UI". Pretty much everything CKAN does can be done asynchronously, there's no reason to block the UI while resolving dependencies, downloading files, or even installing mods.
The UI freezing for several seconds when selecting a mod that has dependencies is particularly irritating, I've asked about this before.

The problem is that doing it asynchronously is a lot more work to get right.  CKAN is free, I'm not going object too much about it not running asynch.

3 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

The problem is that doing it asynchronously is a lot more work to get right.

Granted, though most things worth doing are "work". If CKAN wasn't written with a framework I despise, in a language I have no use for, I'd do it myself.

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yet another reason for the much-asked-for ability to force a version from the GUI.

This kind of thing happens every KSP update, why do we still not have an easy way to downgrade a mod? How about a "lock version" option too? Every package manager I know of has both.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

So go do it yourself if it's so important and easy.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Granted, though most things worth doing are "work". If CKAN wasn't written with a framework I despise, in a language I have no use for, I'd do it myself.

Oh, I see. Excuses excuses. And you can't write your own CKAN clone in your language and framework of choice why, exactly?

7 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Just thought I'd drop a message in here to say that Environmental Visual Enhancements (Plugin)

Thanks. This one had hard-coded game versions for no reason; now it's updated to check the .version file:
https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/6319

7 hours ago, Poodmund said:

and Waypoint Manager have been updated against KSP 1.4 but on CKAN they still have the max listed version as 1.3.9 and are therefore coming up as update-able packages for KSP 1.3.1.

This one shipped bad metadata in its .version file (1.3.0-1.3.99) in version 2.7.1, and 2.7.2 just hasn't been indexed yet. The bot is running overtime trying to keep up with all the 1.4 updates.

20 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

And you can't write your own CKAN clone in your language and framework of choice why, exactly?

Because I don't have time, and I don't like reinventing the wheel. That said, I have made some progress on this, just not enough that it is usable. Time is scarce, and porting .NET applications to C++/QT is time consuming.
There's also the "good enough" effect.

23 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Because I don't have time

Aye, but everyone else does have time to jump on your idle feature suggestions so as to not annoy you?

That said, I have made some progress on this, just not enough that it is usable.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.
EDIT: That's not meant sarcastically, the previous comment notwithstanding. I'm legitimately interested and may contribute pull requests if it looks good.

Edited by HebaruSan

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Sure, but right now it's far too messy to let my cat see it, let alone the internet at large. If I ever get a reasonable holiday, and some motivation, we'll see.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

I'm a perfectionist, I have standards. :P

in a game thats still constantly updating and changing, perfection is almost unobtainable. I not fully aware of every change, but given how many versions ksp has gone through, Id say Hebarus team has done pretty good maintaining it. The wheel wouldn't have even been invented if we didnt improve on our shortcomings. and it also took a long time to...perfect it..jus sayin

high standards are good. but not always in the sense of making something 'perfect' but rather doing the best job you can do in the situation/resources given

Edited by Jesusthebird

1 minute ago, Jesusthebird said:

in a game thats still constantly updating and changing, perfection is almost unobtainable. I not fully aware of every change, but given how many versions ksp has gone through, Id say Hebarus team has done pretty good maintaining it. The wheel wouldn't have even been invented if we didnt improve on our shortcomings. and it also took a long time to...perfect it..jus sayin

Minor correction, it's either pjf's or politas's team, I'm just a member of it. :)

30 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

high standards are good. but not always in the sense of making something 'perfect' but rather doing the best job you can do in the situation/resources given

And asynchronous code is harder to debug.  An issue when continuing updates are expected.

Having trouble with CKAN in ubuntu -

The program won't shut down.  The close window does nothing.  I've killed the process and the window is still there, animating away like it's updating repositories.

What gives?

6 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

I not fully aware of every change, but given how many versions ksp has gone through, Id say Hebarus team has done pretty good maintaining it.

I'm not talking about CKAN, rather my effort to write a native (AKA mono must die) port. TBH, all of my gripes with CKAN as it is can be traced right back to mono / .NET. Considering the toolkit, it's actually pretty good.

6 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

I have several projects stalled in the "just a little more tweaking and it will be perfect" (my power controller PCB layout is at revision 11, and it's holding up the rest of the build, etc. etc.). It counterproductive, but it happens.

10 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Minor correction, it's either pjf's or politas's team, I'm just a member of it. :)

Never mind, @HebaruSan, thank you and the whole CKAN team for you hard work on CKAN.

As I created such a community tool for a now dead game ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/openrcomtools/ ) I know how time consuming it can be.

Without CKAN, mods wouldn't be as used as they are now. CKAN is not perfect (which is pointless because it's subjective), but it does what it's designed for.