CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

1 hour ago, Prowler_x1 said:

I am using 1.4.3 versions of KSP and MHE with V1.25.1 Broglio.

I have gone into "Compatible KSP Versions" and selected 1.4.2 and 1.4.1 as compatible with my build.

When I do this I get an old update for "KW Rocketry Rebalanced" trying to ovewrite a newer update.
KW-R-R 3.2.5.1 trying to overwrite KW-R-R 3.2.5.3 as newer due to the marking mistake that 3.2.5.1 is marked as KSP 1.3.0 -1.4.99 compatible. KW-R-R 3.2.5.3 is only marked as 1.4.1 compatible.

Those are the actual game versions in the .version files for those downloads. Has @linuxgurugamer stated somewhere that they should be changed?

Edited by HebaruSan

2 hours ago, Prowler_x1 said:

HebaruSan,

I am using 1.4.3 versions of KSP and MHE with V1.25.1 Broglio.

I have gone into "Compatible KSP Versions" and selected 1.4.2 and 1.4.1 as compatible with my build.

When I do this I get an old update for "KW Rocketry Rebalanced" trying to ovewrite a newer update.
KW-R-R 3.2.5.1 trying to overwrite KW-R-R 3.2.5.3 as newer due to the marking mistake that 3.2.5.1 is marked as KSP 1.3.0 -1.4.99 compatible. KW-R-R 3.2.5.3 is only marked as 1.4.1 compatible.

Are you able to modify this to correct it?

You really should have contacted me about this.

I'll be releasing an updated KRR today with the version file updated

I keep getting a message when I first launch CKAN. I dialog box pops up saying "CKAN requires permission to add a handler for ckan://URLs. Do you want to allow CKAN to do this? If you click no you won't see this message again."

Am I supposed to click yes or no? I haven't seen this message with any previous CKAN installs.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Tyko said:

Am I supposed to click yes or no?

It's asking you because it's your decision. :)

Yes: URLs like ckan://Astrogator will work if you click them (and your browser allows it).
No:  They won't.

I don't think I've ever seen these in use, so the impact should be minimal either way. Though if you're seeing it every time, that's a problem.

7 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

It's asking you because it's your decision. :)

Yes: URLs like ckan://Astrogator will work if you click them (and your browser allows it).
No:  They won't.

I don't think I've ever seen these in use, so the impact should be minimal either way. Though if you're seeing it every time, that's a problem.

Yea, I'd never seen it before either. I'm using 1.25.1 on three different installs 2 1.4.x and 1 1.3.1...each of them populates that message almost every time I launch CKAN.

2 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Yea, I'd never seen it before either. I'm using 1.25.1 on three different installs 2 1.4.x and 1 1.3.1...each of them populates that message almost every time I launch CKAN.

Which option have you been choosing?

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

Which option have you been choosing?

I've chosen Yes each time because I seemed important to let CKAN do what it needed to do :/   Am I over-thinking it?

54 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I've chosen Yes each time because I seemed important to let CKAN do what it needed to do :/   Am I over-thinking it?

Well, if you choose No, it should leave you alone (though you'd probably have to do it once per instance).

Repeated askings would mean that it's either unable to set the registry key that supports these URLs, or the method for finding a previously set registry key isn't working. Would you mind trying this to find out which it is?

1. Close all instances of CKAN
  2. Start -> Run
  3. ckan://Astrogator
  4. Press enter

If CKAN opens in response to this, then the registry key is set, otherwise it's not.

I have a question..I think lol. Im running 1.4.3 , Ckan v.1.25.1 and when I click compatibility for say..1.4.1 and 4.2, some mods(example Mk2 Expansion) wants to downgrade me to an earlier release version(I assume it thinks I want to install the mod to an earlier version of ksp(even tho I have 1.4.3) Is there a way to resolve this based on what version of KSP ckan sees for the install, some sort of hierarchy in determining what starting version# of a mod should be given? I feel like im going to forget about it one day, and click apply updates and start getting older version of mods.

I also think it would be great if a mod updates to a newer version of ksp(and the player has that current ksp version) ckan should delete the older version from the downloads folder, replacing it with the version that is installed alongside with the currently installed version of ksp. I see atleast two different versions of many mods in my ckan downloads folder, and all ive been doing is updating mods to new versions when I see em available. those folders can add up quickly to a few gigs of data, some are  obsolete at this point because I have a newer version installed and it looks like ckan doesnt touch the older version at that point.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by Jesusthebird

1 hour ago, Jesusthebird said:

some sort of hierarchy in determining what starting version# of a mod should be given?

The hierarchy is based on the numerical ordering of the versions of the mod, which you can check on the Versions tab. It tries to install the latest version that's compatible with any of the game versions you selected. Sometimes this logic can get confused if a mod has a weird non-sequential ordering to its versions; for example, Mk2Expansion looks like this:

eOI6NNA.png

Version 1.8.1 came out after 1.8.06, even though 6 is greater than 1 (the "1" probably represents 10 somehow). So while it looks like it's trying to downgrade you if you only go by the version number, it's actually trying to install the most recent version, the only version that's compatible with KSP 1.4.

NearFutureElectrical looks fine, though. Its versions are sequential, so I would expect this to work normally in the situation you described:

Xkh18xX.png

I also think it would be great if a mod updates to a newer version of ksp(and the player has that current ksp version) ckan should delete the older version from the downloads folder, replacing it with the version that is installed alongside with the currently installed version of ksp. I see atleast two different versions of many mods in my ckan downloads folder, and all ive been doing is updating mods to new versions when I see em available. those folders can add up quickly to a few gigs of data, some are  obsolete at this point because I have a newer version installed and it looks like ckan doesnt touch the older version at that point.

That's an interesting suggestion. Would you mind filing an issue so we don't forget about it?

Edited by HebaruSan

36 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

The hierarchy is based on the numerical ordering of the versions of the mod, which you can check on the Versions tab. It tries to install the latest version that's compatible with any of the game versions you selected. Sometimes this logic can get confused if a mod has a weird non-sequential ordering to its versions; for example, Mk2Expansion looks like this:

eOI6NNA.png

Version 1.8.1 came out after 1.8.06, even though 6 is less than 1 (the "1" probably represents 10 somehow). So while it looks like it's trying to downgrade you if you only go by the version number, it's actually trying to install the most recent version, the only version that's compatible with KSP 1.4.

NearFutureElectrical looks fine, though. Its versions are sequential, so I would expect this to work normally in the situation you described:

Xkh18xX.png

That's an interesting suggestion. Would you mind filing an issue so we don't forget about it?

sure thing! Yea i edited NF Electric out, as that was a mistake on my part reading the version number. I see your point with the  version ordering, thank you for clarifying it for me. I think I saw it in one of the github issues/suggestions, This one?. Manual disabling of mod versions maybe help? [Example for Mk2-Expansion: disable any/all versions below v2.1.8.1 theoretically removing the ability to install mk2-Expansion to any version of ksp below 1.4.1] on a per mod basis of course

Edited by Jesusthebird

8 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

A lot of CKAN users have multiple copies of KSP at different versions, and share the CKAN downloads folder across them. Automatically removing cached downloads would be detrimental for that use-case, and kind of goes against the point of having a download cache to some extent. If you have space issues, you can delete individual files directly from the cache directory. or use the "clear cache" tool in CKAN to remove them all. The cached files are not used by KSP at all; it just saves you waiting on downloads which might timeout if you want to reinstall the mods. I could see the benefit of a "keep only the latest version" cache option, though.

Edited by politas

9 hours ago, politas said:

A lot of CKAN users have multiple copies of KSP at different versions, and share the CKAN downloads folder across them. Automatically removing cached downloads would be detrimental for that use-case, and kind of goes against the point of having a download cache to some extent. If you have space issues, you can delete individual files directly from the cache directory. or use the "clear cache" tool in CKAN to remove them all. The cached files are not used by KSP at all; it just saves you waiting on downloads which might timeout if you want to reinstall the mods. I could see the benefit of a "keep only the latest version" cache option, though.

I understand the reason behind it. And know ksp doesnt touch ckan cache. My point is..say someone has a 1.4.3 install...unless the mod itself lists backwards compatibility to earlier versions(say planetshine before it was updated). It shouldn't remain in the cache for that ksp directory specifically and ONLY deleted if a newer version is installed(planetshine was recompiled so if im using ksp 1.4+ and planetshine is updated for 1.4...why keep the 1.2.2 version..unless its for a 1.2 or 1.3 install. Searching ckan folder for duplicate mods can be tedious. And personally i didnt know how to search without using * first. Hebaru taught me that. But im sure theres plenty that dont know that. I dont mind manualy doing it. I just think this wouod make it a more streamlined process

16 hours ago, politas said:

A lot of CKAN users have multiple copies of KSP at different versions, and share the CKAN downloads folder across them.

This caught my attention-- can we set a different download/cache location than at the top of the game/ckan dir? Did I miss this?? :D

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:14 AM, politas said:

I have multiple installs.  One is for DMP and is 1.3.1 because DMP doesn't support higher versions.  Another is Steam install on 1.4.2 with MH installed from KSP store downloaded .exe.  A third is GOG install (1.4.3) with MH from KSP store (why spend $30 when you don't have to).  I think I have another with GPP installed.  Steam's install I just got OPM installed on top of others.  How would YOU cache the mods for each when there's incompatible mods with 1.4.3?  Where would you cache anyway?  I just download the mods for each install as I want them because it's the easiest way to make sure they will work.

45 minutes ago, wizisi2k said:

Where would you cache anyway?

Currently the cache is in Kerbal Space Program\CKAN\downloads\ for each instance. (There's an ongoing project to consolidate them.)

45 minutes ago, wizisi2k said:

How would YOU cache the mods for each when there's incompatible mods with 1.4.3?

The caching being discussed here is for the downloads. So if you install ModuleManager 3.0.7, then uninstall it, then re-install it, it won't be downloaded a second time.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:48 AM, Beetlecat said:

This caught my attention-- can we set a different download/cache location than at the top of the game/ckan dir? Did I miss this?? :D

The method I use (and I believe several others do, too) is to replace the CKAN/downloads directory with a link to a directory on large slow storage, so my downloads aren't using up my SSD. When accessing the cache, CKAN happily traverses filesystem links.

1 hour ago, politas said:

The method I use (and I believe several others do, too) is to replace the CKAN/downloads directory with a link to a directory on large slow storage, so my downloads aren't using up my SSD. When accessing the cache, CKAN happily traverses filesystem links.

That's sensible! And not overly complicated on a windows box. Good to know that works.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:19 AM, HebaruSan said:

eOI6NNA.png

Version 1.8.1 came out after 1.8.06, even though 6 is greater than 1 (the "1" probably represents 10 somehow). So while it looks like it's trying to downgrade you if you only go by the version number, it's actually trying to install the most recent version, the only version that's compatible with KSP 1.4.

Reported this in the Mk2Expansion thread, since they should probably fix their version numbering to avoid future headaches :)

On 4/16/2018 at 8:37 PM, HebaruSan said:

General FYI, Curse has changed some aspect of their policies or hosting practices that has frozen the API service that CKAN uses to query Curse:

https://www.cfwidget.com/

Details are sketchy at this point, but the effect is that versions of mods uploaded to Curse in the past month have not been indexed in CKAN, and they probably won't be indexed in the future unless this service is restored.

ALL CLEAR: As of an hour or so ago, this is resolved; mods on Curse are updating again, thanks to the Curse team being cool and working with the developer of the API. If you have mods hosted on Curse, you no longer have to worry about migrating them to get them indexed on CKAN.