CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

• 2 weeks later...

4K monitor, pop ups are too small relative to the contents they are trying to display. This has been a pita ever since I tried to use ckan a long time ago. Basically there is a pop up, which has some text and maybe a couple of buttons. The buttons are hardly visible as the window for the pop up is too small. Now at the start of this I said 4K monitor. Well yes that is what I am using atm. But in the past I have used it with a normal laptop screen and had the same issue. I am amazed that this most fundamental aspect of writing a GUI is still looking like someone wrote it who does not know what they are doing.

Another reason why I do not use ckan is that the auto detection of installed mods is a failure. I have 164 mods installed, but only about 69 are detected.

1 hour ago, Apaseall said:

4K monitor, pop ups are too small relative to the contents they are trying to display. Basically there is a pop up, which has some text and maybe a couple of buttons. The buttons are hardly visible as the window for the pop up is too small.

A screenshot would help to show what you mean. And if you wouldn't mind, tracking it in an issue would increase the chance that someone who can fix it might see it:

1 hour ago, Apaseall said:

Another reason why I do not use ckan is that the auto detection of installed mods is a failure. I have 164 mods installed, but only about 69 are detected.

Yup, it's very limited; it only looks for DLLs with names that match the identifier of a known module, for example ModuleManager.dll. If you can come up with an algorithm that's more effective across the breadth and depth of mods that are out there, pull requests are always welcome.

25 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

A screenshot would help to show what you mean. And if you wouldn't mind, tracking it in an issue would increase the chance that someone who can fix it might see it:

Yup, it's very limited; it only looks for DLLs with names that match the identifier of a known module, for example ModuleManager.dll. If you can come up with an algorithm that's more effective across the breadth and depth of mods that are out there, pull requests are always welcome.

I fail at being able to get a screenshot to appear in these forums.

If the only checking is to see if the name part of name.dll exists, how then does ckan know which version is currently installed? If this involves looking inside a .version file, then surely that version file also has information regarding the name of the mod?

For example:

Spoiler

{
    "NAME": "Adjustable Mod Panel",
    "DOWNLOAD": "https://github.com/radistmorse/KSPAdjustableModPanel/releases",
    "URL": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/radistmorse/KSPAdjustableModPanel/master/AdjustableModPanel.version",
    "GITHUB": {
        "USERNAME": "radistmorse",
        "REPOSITORY": "KSPAdjustableModPanel"
    },
    "VERSION": {
        "MAJOR": 1,
        "MINOR": 5,
        "PATCH": 0,
        "BUILD": 0
    },
    "KSP_VERSION": {
        "MINOR": 4,
        "PATCH": 0
    },
    "KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
        "PATCH": 0
    },
    "KSP_VERSION_MAX": {
        "PATCH": 99
    }
}

We have lots of keys/fields there. If .version is already being parsed to pick up which version is currently installed I would have thought it would be blindingly obvious to span through the \GameData sub folders picking up data from any .version files present.

I am probably in a bad mood right now, so whilst I stand by the issues I have made, I apologize for the manner in which I brought them to your attention. If you take a peek at my other posts you will find that most of the time what I write is passable, but sometimes I forget to be nice. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Apaseall said:

I fail at being able to get a screenshot to appear in these forums.

Yeah, the forum doesn't host images itself. You'd have to upload them to a third party host and then paste the URL. Or if you start an issue on GitHub, you can paste them there more easily.

2 hours ago, Apaseall said:

If the only checking is to see if the name part of name.dll exists, how then does ckan know which version is currently installed?

For auto-detected (manually installed) mods, it doesn't; whatever version of the mod you installed is considered to satisfy any requirement. Manually installed .version files are not examined by CKAN, but that's an interesting suggestion. I think the original focus was probably to accommodate mods like ModuleManager that don't ship a .version file.

2 hours ago, Apaseall said:

I am probably in a bad mood right now, so whilst I stand by the issues I have made, I apologize for the manner in which I brought them to your attention. If you take a peek at my other posts you will find that most of the time what I write is passable, but sometimes I forget to be nice. Sorry.

Don't worry about it, we all have those moments from time to time. Thanks for commenting!

I might need some help here:

I haven't played KSP for a few months, but recently decided to pick it up again. I bought the Making History expansion and booted up CKAN. I was promptly met with a never-ending loading screen, as the CKAN install I had must have been several months out of date. A look at the mod folders in the GameData folder suggests I last played on January 28, as that's when they were last updated.

So I downloaded CKAN fresh from the link in the first post here, opened it, and... it looks like I have no mods installed. At least none that CKAN recognizes. Moreover, I can't find any of them in the CKAN list either. I don't have many mods installed, so I can list them all here:

• Crowd Sourced Science
  • Indicator Lights
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch
  • Kerbal Engineer (Redux, if my memory serves me correctly)
  • MechJeb2
  • Final Frontier
  • SpaceY Lifters
  • SpaceY Expanded
  • StationScience
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock

As far as I'm aware, those all worked fine back in January. So what has happened? Am I experiencing a CKAN issue (or feature?), or have all the mods stopped being updated (all of them?), or has there been some other big change to how things are done around here? Any general recommendations?

EDIT: Changing the filter to "all" made all the mods show up. Seems like they indeed haven't received updates lately, but most appear to work as intended. I'll play around a bit and see what happens.

Edited by Codraroll

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

I was promptly met with a never-ending loading screen, as the CKAN install I had must have been several months out of date. A look at the mod folders in the GameData folder suggests I last played on January 28, as that's when they were last updated.

As far as I'm aware, those all worked fine back in January. So what has happened?

There was a big change on GitHub in February that completely broke all releases of CKAN before that date.

It sounds like starting up that version corrupted your local registry. Try clicking Refresh in the newer version.

Why do i get this CKAN message?
----------------------------------------------
Oh no!

It looks like you're trying to install a mod which is already installed,
or which conflicts with another mod which is already installed.

As a safety feature, the CKAN will *never* overwrite or alter a file
that it did not install itself.

If you wish to install ChopShop 1:0.11.4.2 via the CKAN,
then please manually uninstall the mod which owns:

Ships/SPH/ChopShop - Li'l Buzzer.craft

and try again.

Your Game-data has been returned to its original state.

Error!

---------------------------------------------

Also I think you should add the feature do it any way if someone gets this message again like in Desktop windows 10.

Edited by Cloakedwand72

57 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Why do i get this CKAN message?

Probably because you're trying to install a mod which is already installed.

57 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Also I think you should add the feature do it any way if someone gets this message again like in Desktop windows 10.

Sounds like https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/2186 or https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/949

1 hour ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

You just don't do that with any packaging system, which is what CKAN is.  That is storing up a problem and making it worse.  At a minimum, you are combining two versions of a mod.  Most mods have problems with that, which is why the mod authors ask players doing manual installs to completely delete the old mod directory before installing the new version.

CKAN doesn't know what you manually installed.  It can't tell the difference between the files you put in and the files the mod has generated while running in KSP.  And CKAN doesn't do the brutal  maximum because there will be cases when that is wrong.  Clashes like this shouldn't happen often, so it's best to manually fix it.

Just do what CKAN is requesting and remove the manually installed mod.  You can move it or delete it.

8 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Maybe what you mentioned is more complicated than you realize.

Which is exactly right.

For unknown reason, KSP Interstellar Extended and Interstellar Fuel Switch are not visible on CKAN anymore. Does anyone know why?

Possibly the is some dependencies conflict, but except for the recomended KJR mod, it should not be really a problem

Edited by FreeThinker

25 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

For unknown reason, KSP Interstellar Extended and Interstellar Fuel Switch are not visible on CKAN anymore. Does anyone know why?

Possibly the is some dependencies conflict, but except for the recomended KJR mod, it should not be really a problem

I see them. Any additional info?

2 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I see them. Any additional info?

I can't see IFS and KSPIE, you can? Notice when I select Photon Sailor, in the relation screen I can see there is a problem with Hide Empty Tech Tree and KJR

I'm working on updating an old mod, NovaPunch.

The mod is actually a merge of several older mods, and I'm finding that installing the whole thing (>160 parts) is rather a bit much.  So I am going to set it up to install one or more submods.

The issue is that all the directories are under the GameData/NovaPunch directory.  What I'd like to do is filter out the specific subdirs for those sections, and then to create multiple netkans to allow them to be installed.  I'm not too familiar with the filter syntax, I know that something like this:

"filter" : "sourcecode"

will remove any directory called sourcecode, I assume it also won't install anything under that directory.  Is there a reverse filter?  ie:  to only install a specific directory; using the above example, I'd want a .netkan to install the GameData/sourcecode directory and nothing else.  I'm guessing it's going to be "filter_regexp"?

54 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is there a reverse filter?  ie:  to only install a specific directory; using the above example, I'd want a .netkan to install the GameData/sourcecode directory and nothing else.

What about specifying each sub-mod's folder in the "find" property of an install stanza, as you did for RecycledParts?

14 minutes ago, TheJimPire said:

Forgive my impatience, but do you have an estimate for when CKAN will recognize the update? It is still showing 1.4.5 as the max KSP version

Typically it takes about 4 hours after a release comes out, or less if you get lucky.

(Migrated from the Kopernicus thread.)

CKAN broke my 1.4.5 game today. I have B9 Part Switch installed, and CKAN thinks that the 1.5 version should be applied. B9 Part Switch is documented as being very version specific. The new version forced KSP to shutdown, but it didn't say why. Backing out the latest version that installed today fixed the problem.

I don't blame the CKAN developers, version control is complicated, and CKAN helps a lot usually.

I also had to go back to the previous version of MechJeb. There were about 6 other mods that updated at the same time. I haven't had a chance to see if there's any other fallout.

18 minutes ago, Luna Cat said:

CKAN broke my 1.4.5 game today. I have B9 Part Switch installed, and CKAN thinks that the 1.5 version should be applied. B9 Part Switch is documented as being very version specific. The new version forced KSP to shutdown, but it didn't say why. Backing out the latest version that installed today fixed the problem.

I don't blame the CKAN developers, version control is complicated, and CKAN helps a lot usually.

I also had to go back to the previous version of MechJeb. There were about 6 other mods that updated at the same time. I haven't had a chance to see if there's any other fallout.

It’s up to the mod author to keep his .version file correct, if he makes a mistake, CKAN can’t do anything about it

1 hour ago, Luna Cat said:

B9PartSwitch 2.4.0 released with an incorrect .version file. It's updated now.

1 hour ago, Luna Cat said:

MechJeb doesn't even have a .version file, its compatibility has to be tracked manually. I updated that metadata to 1.5 just now.