CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

19 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

B9PartSwitch 2.4.0 released with an incorrect .version file. It's updated now.

I'm having the same problem as Luna Cat and have inadvertently installed B9 v2.4.0 (I'm running KSP 1.4.5).  How do I get CKAN to remove it and reinstall v2.3.3?  Do I just wait for CKAN to catch up and then reinstall B9?  KSP 1.5 is not listed as compatible in the Compatible Versions list in CKAN.

12 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I'm having the same problem as Luna Cat and have inadvertently installed B9 v2.4.0 (I'm running KSP 1.4.5).  How do I get CKAN to remove it and reinstall v2.3.3?  Do I just wait for CKAN to catch up and then reinstall B9?  KSP 1.5 is not listed as compatible in the Compatible Versions list in CKAN.

Try clicking Refresh, then uninstall and reinstall.

32 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Try clicking Refresh, then uninstall and reinstall.

I'm way ahead of you there :D.  I tried that; CKAN dutifully uninstalled B9 and those mod dependent on it and when I reinstalled it used the cashed v2.4.0.  I will attempt it again.

Edit 1 - That worked.  Many thanks.  Too bad I forgot to record the mods that were removed before refreshing CKAN.  Oh well, I think I've got them all reinstalled and will find out for sure once I restart my save.

Edited by Brigadier

On 10/22/2018 at 3:28 AM, HebaruSan said:

Is there a motivating factor in your question that might help inform that discussion?

fwiw, github has been having a lot more stability issues than usual lately (it seems to be a seasonal thing affecting all DVCS hosts). That's almost certainly impacting web frontend rate limiting. I saw this floating across the KSP subreddit the other day, for example:

Reciently tried to install Nertea's [1.5.1] Kerbal Atomics with CKAN. But CKAN reports that DynamicBatteryStorage is an older version (1.3.2, latest version updated a couple days ago is 1.3.3) and wont install. Might need to check on the version listed in CKAN.

1 hour ago, BlackHat said:

DynamicBatteryStorage is an older version (1.3.2, latest version updated a couple days ago is 1.3.3) and wont install.

That mod is bundled in several of Nertea's "main" mods (NearFutureElectrical and KerbalAtomics both have it) but doesn't have its own separate download. To avoid making NFE and KA conflict, we have to pick one or the other as the source of DBS; but if the other one gets updated first, then we end up in the current situation. In 1.4, NearFutureElectrical got updated first, so we switched to it. This time KerbalAtomics has been updated first.

tl;dr: Give Nertea a chance to update NearFutureElectrical.

Why are "any" max KSP versions still allowed?
In my understanding, once a dev pushes an "any" version file, there is no longer any way to track how outdated that package is.
In other words, I'd imagine there are mods that have been compiled for, let's say, 1.0.2 far in the past and marked as "any" which are now terribly outdated, potentially causing numerous issues and will never cease to be parsed as "compatible" by CKAN.

Or are the packages with such compatibility version tags closely-curated all the time?
Even then, at one point in the future or another, this may change, CKAN may lose its current maintainers and/or curators, policies may change and these "any" version packages will be nothing but a headache for whomever tries to figure anything out.

Are there good reasons to allow such an unconventional and regulated bypass to the versioning system to persist to this day?

2 minutes ago, Erquint said:

Why are "any" max KSP versions still allowed?

Because part mods and simple cfg-tweaks exist.

2 minutes ago, Erquint said:

In other words, I'd imagine there are mods that have been compiled for, let's say, 1.0.2 far in the past and marked as "any" which are now terribly outdated, potentially causing numerous issues and will never cease to be parsed as "compatible" by CKAN.

If you find any like that, do let us know.

But does it work on the basis of
"leave it be until somebody breaks their game and cries about it to us"
or
"keep a close eye on these ones in case the game has major changes to its structure in one of the updates"?

10 minutes ago, Erquint said:

But does it work on the basis of
"leave it be until somebody breaks their game and cries about it to us"
or
"keep a close eye on these ones in case the game has major changes to its structure in one of the updates"?

It's more like

"Assess carefully at time of indexing. If there's something that could require a specific game version, for example a plugin, add appropriate ksp_version* fields. Ideally work with the mod author to add a .version file so they can control it themselves. Check the forum thread for any subtleties or gotchas."

Most of the time the question doesn't even apply because so many mods are hosted on SpaceDock, which forces the modder to choose one specific game version, and which CKAN then uses as the default for its own metadata.

I see. It's still complicated. And your, guys, work is still underappreciated. I'm unpleasantly surprised to see many devs still being quite uncooperative.

But what's the deal with FAR? People over in its thread are recompiling their own "forks". In terms of CKAN, is the deal with FAR forks purely a licensing grey zone until Ferram himself turns up or are you waiting for the crowd to choose a proper maintainer among themselves?

1 minute ago, Erquint said:

I see. It's still complicated. And your, guys, work is still underappreciated.

*tips fedora*

1 minute ago, Erquint said:

But what's the deal with FAR? People over in its thread are recompiling their own "forks". In terms of CKAN, is the deal with FAR forks purely a licensing grey zone until Ferram himself turns up or are you waiting for the crowd to choose a proper maintainer among themselves?

I wasn't aware that Ferram was on a hiatus. If the situation is as chaotic as you describe, then I'm not sure it would be productive for the CKAN team to try to intervene. I certainly wouldn't want Ferram to come back and find out that there's extra mess for him to clean up because of us.

So, ive been with ksp since its early days but I havent been playing it for quite some time now.

I've just reinstalled the game to have another go at it and I cant live without mods so I was glad to see that CKAN is still alive and well :)

I just wanted to say thanks for this great tool and for the work you guys have put into it so far! 

Edited by code99

Hi, I was wondering if there is a planned update where..when there is a compatibility issue between 2+mods and CKAN manages at least one of them, it can be uninstalled it if it catches it. I had Correct Col installed and today I downloaded the 1.5FAR rerelease, and I had to move the FAR folder from gamedata before ckan would let me uninstall correct COL. Seems like an unnecessary extra step is all, not like it was that hard to work around lol. Just some extra clicks and reopening ckan again.

Perhaps if it notices an incompatibility, a window pops up asking which one you would like to uninstall(the mod/s that ckan happens to manage at least)

Just a thought, tho its not a big deal really. At least to a semi savvy user

5 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Hi, I was wondering if there is a planned update where..

In general, the answer to questions that begin like this is, "No." Since CKAN is a free volunteer project, no one can be assigned a task to complete by a deadline, which throws a wrench into attempts to plan future releases. If someone tried to draw up a Gantt chart of future enhancement projects, any given project might simply not get done if no one had the free time to work on it, and all that could be done in response is to kick the assigned dev off the team as punishment, which would not get that project done any faster.

The one exception to this "no planning" notion is when we finish developing something but it hasn't been released yet. For example, the next release is going to look a lot better with dark themes on Linux, but that's not so much "planned" as "done and not released yet."

5 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

when there is a compatibility issue between 2+mods and CKAN manages at least one of them, it can be uninstalled it if it catches it. I had Correct Col installed and today I downloaded the 1.5FAR rerelease, and I had to move the FAR folder from gamedata before ckan would let me uninstall correct COL.

Thanks for the report. Confirmed and submitted an issue for tracking:

8 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

In general, the answer to questions that begin like this is, "No." Since CKAN is a free volunteer project, no one can be assigned a task to complete by a deadline, which throws a wrench into attempts to plan future releases.

Sorry I wasnt trying to sound like I was prying for a feature in the next update. I was just wondering if yall were already aware about it. I probably could have worded it better. Thanks for looking into it!

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Which list? Which items do you think are unnecessary? 

Many mods I do not need and I do not want to see them in the list. They are not superfluous for someone else. But I, perhaps someone else, hard to view a list of 300 items in search of interesting mods.