[1.12.x] BetterTimeWarpContinued - Customizable Time Warp, and Lossless Physics Warp

linuxgurugamer

11 hours ago, Jognt said:

After one of the recent updates BTT no longer remembers my warp profiles. After restarting the game they will be gone. I've tried uninstalling BTT via CKAN and removing the folder in GameData before reinstalling it, but the problem persisted. I'm using v2.3.7.3.

same here, I installed from CKAN.

I have removed BTT for now as I am trying to find the reason for issue I see after playing my heavily modded KSP for some time: maneuver nodes start behaving in a strange way: they change dV without any apparent reason, target node in navball move and timewarping to nodes overshoot them by quite a large margin. I started suspecting that loseless physics might affect nodes in some way so I uninstalled BTT for now. One more person reported the same issue:

15 hours ago, Raphaello said:

same here, I installed from CKAN.

I have removed BTT for now as I am trying to find the reason for issue I see after playing my heavily modded KSP for some time: maneuver nodes start behaving in a strange way: they change dV without any apparent reason, target node in navball move and timewarping to nodes overshoot them by quite a large margin. I started suspecting that loseless physics might affect nodes in some way so I uninstalled BTT for now. One more person reported the same issue:

Oh yeah I can help you out a bit with that: using lossless physics indeed causes nodes to increase in dV without any input or change in the situation. I guess it doesn't have the big red "experimental" behind it for nothing :p. AFAIK it only happens after you've used physwarp at least once. Then only a game restart fixes it. The node moving on the navball has the same culprit: lossless physics. Overshooting nodes seems to happen to me if I use the KAC "jump to x" feature while still in some form of warp.

edit: the lossless physics dV issue has been there for quite some time now, so the cause for that is not a recent change like the removing of warp-configs is.

edit2: I've now also experienced overshooting nodes even with just the regular click "move to node" while moving at 1x speed.

Edited by Jognt

On 1/13/2017 at 7:55 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Bugs:

• Rarely, if using low (less than 0.1) physics warp on EVA, your kerbal will go flying off at about 7x light speed

That's the best kind of bug. Great mod by the way, much of which probably should be in the stock game already.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

this has nothing to do with this mod

Yeah, I was just about to comment that I've experienced it still even after temporarily removing BTW. I'm glad it's not BTW though. It's been a pain doing surveys and nuclear burns without BTW even for the short time I didn't have it installed!

I'd still like it more if it remembered the profiles though. Regardless, thank you for your efforts in maintaining/creating awesome mods!

28 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Yeah, I was just about to comment that I've experienced it still even after temporarily removing BTW. I'm glad it's not BTW though. It's been a pain doing surveys and nuclear burns without BTW even for the short time I didn't have it installed!

I'd still like it more if it remembered the profiles though. Regardless, thank you for your efforts in maintaining/creating awesome mods!

Profiles, meaning what?  I fixed it in the last update so future updates won't overwrite your current settings

On 15.04.2017 at 9:21 PM, Jognt said:

Now for the main reason I comment: After one of the recent updates BTW no longer remembers my warp profiles. After restarting the game they will be gone. I've tried uninstalling BTW via CKAN and removing the folder in GameData before reinstalling it, but the problem persisted. I'm using v2.3.7.3.

This bug has appeared in the last update

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Profiles, meaning what?  I fixed it in the last update so future updates won't overwrite your current settings

My comment on the previous page. I uninstalled, removed the folder and reinstalled BTW and profiles still disappear upon restarting the game. :/

Hi there, First: Thank you for this awesome mod. It's much easier to do long burns and do survey missions if you can just phys-warp through them! :D

Now for the main reason I comment: After one of the recent updates BTW no longer remembers my warp profiles. After restarting the game they will be gone. I've tried uninstalling BTW via CKAN and removing the folder in GameData before reinstalling it, but the problem persisted. I'm using v2.3.7.3.

Also, I've seen some textureglitching occur on planets that I haven't seen before (low-res, flickering, on a part of the planet). I doubt these are BTW related, but I figured I'd mention it since they have started happening since recently too.

16 minutes ago, dognosh said:

Running 2.3.7.4 and still doesn't remember my custom settings :(

p.s. Thanks for all the hard work @linuxgurugamer :)

p.p.s Only just installed BTW tonight(no previous version on my game)

Did you click Save?

I just tested this on a totally clean install, and it worked.

Please look at the directory:  BetterTimeWarp/PluginData and see what files are there, you should see 2.

Also, please get me a log file.

@linuxgurugamer , I see BetterTimeWarp.cfg & BetterTimeWarp_Defaults.cfg.

I decided to test BTW cleanly and it does work, so thanks :)

I think the problem is with MJ(or another mod) in my main game, as I use time warp option in MJ when it is executing my nodes. For some reason I think it messes up BTW somehow.

I am away for a few days, when I come back I will delete KSP.log from my main game and run BTW with all my mods, then if it is still a problem I will post the log file for you.

(p.s. I will do a quick test right now by removing and reinstalling BTW in my main game, but I am in a rush to leave :) )

@linuxgurugamer , Re logfiles I will do so by monday(have to go now) , but just to quickly let you know what I did in my modded game.

I chose hyper warp preset and edited 2 of the figures, so I can tell it has changed when I use that preset, and saved it.

Quick test showed failure :

I tested BTW around various orbits and all ok

used MJ and its autowarp option , all still ok, and after MJ I used BTW manually and all ok

went to tracking station and back to my ship, and looked at hyper warp preset and figures are now changed to the same at standard preset.

@linuxgurugamer , also did above test quickly in vanilla 1.2.2 and all good, preset changes still there. I think a mod is doing it, but gotta go, log file soon :)

Edited by dognosh

26 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Can we get an option to disable the toolbar icon? My toolbar is already pretty crowded with other mods, and I only ever use this mod via the arrow next to the clock anyways.

Already there, go to settings and select  either/or "Always hide the button"/"Hide the button in the flight scene"

hrmmm, I didn't dig into this but an observation - I launched a KerBalloon from the surface of the water and it rises at a constant rate of 5m/s. I have a kOS script that draws a vector to the tracking station so I can see when direct line of sight is available over the horizon (Kerbalism comms don't model this yet, if ever). To speed things up I used a physics warp profile of 4,8,16 with lossless physics enabled at 1/2 tick and I set the warp to 16x. In this case it took until 3.984km - but then I noticed that the clock had progressed 39 minutes since launch. At a rate of 5m/s it should have only taken the balloon 13 minutes to reach that altitude. I reloaded the game and tried again, stopping only after rising 622m and the game clock had advanced 28 minutes instead of 2.

Log file

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2017 at 7:00 PM, Jognt said:

Hi, Did you manage to find the culprit as I'm having the same issue but can't pinpoint it. I removed BTWC and the problem disappeared but not sure if another mod is clashing with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2017 at 9:15 PM, Drew Kerman said:

hrmmm, I didn't dig into this but an observation - I launched a KerBalloon from the surface of the water and it rises at a constant rate of 5m/s. I have a kOS script that draws a vector to the tracking station so I can see when direct line of sight is available over the horizon (Kerbalism comms don't model this yet, if ever). To speed things up I used a physics warp profile of 4,8,16 with lossless physics enabled at 1/2 tick and I set the warp to 16x. In this case it took until 3.984km - but then I noticed that the clock had progressed 39 minutes since launch. At a rate of 5m/s it should have only taken the balloon 13 minutes to reach that altitude. I reloaded the game and tried again, stopping only after rising 622m and the game clock had advanced 28 minutes instead of 2.

Log file

I'm not sure if this is related, but it appears that physics timewarp is too fast with lossless physics enabled. Using a wall clock to compare I'm seeing game-time progress at the square of the warp rate compared to real-time (e.g. at 2x physics warp 4 in-game seconds pass per 1 real-world second instead of 2 per 1, at 5x physics warp 25 in-game seconds pass per 1 real-world second instead of 5 per 1, etc).

To test I noted the time in KAC and on my wall clock when I enabled time warp, then waited for 30 seconds (real time), then exited time warp and noted the time again in KAC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.