[WIP] [1.3.1] Ext-Seat-Dummy v0.3.0 (18 october 2017)

Skalou

Ext-Seat-Dummy

tNpF6j2.gif

This Ext-Seat-Dummy mod adds a Fake kerbonaut part made of a cutting-edge material (probably from UK).
With some accurate physics properties, it can aid design or balance crafts.
Warranty void if exposed to vibrations or sunlight, but whatever, i know you will forget to remove it before flights...

More images:
http://imgur.com/a/CbBAF

Features:
-Approximative shape of a seated Kerman.
- Accurate mass.
- Accurate CoM.
-Accurate drag  in atmosphere.
-Accurate static buoyancy, however the drag in oceans is not.
-Built-in probecore.

-Removable helmet.
-Displayable seat (better placement in surface attach
).
-Ejectable via a built-in decoupler.
-Available as a part in VAB/SPH and usable in flight.

Limitations:
-This mod adds a stack node to the seat parts, made them stackable and surface attachable, so some of them can be defined as "root part" now.
-For a more precise aerodynamic you need to surface attach it: if stacked with green nodes, some faces will occlude each others and reduce the drag.
-Mods with external command module need a patch via module manager.

-Some KSP versions are changing the drag of kerbal in EVA, so be sure to have the correct compatible version.

Gameplay infos:
-Part available in the Pods category for now (will probably be moved in Utility for the release).
-Part unlockable in the tech-tree in the
Advanced Science Tech node.

KSP compatible versions:

-Ext-Seat-Dummy v0.3.0:
  KSP 1.3.1, should be compatible and auto adapt with the previous KSP versions (to 1.2.2, no guess for older)
-Ext-Seat-Dummy v0.2.0:
  KSP 1.2.2, patch available for KSP 1.1.3 (read the installation instructions to know how to enable it)
-Ext-Seat-Dummy v0.1.0:
  KSP 1.2.2 only.

You must install the mod "Module Manager" to make this mod works properly (not included, download it separately).
It uses the "KSP Add-on Version Checker" mod if you have it installed (not included) to check its version by using a connexion on my github page given below,
read the "KSP-AVC Add-on Version Checker" page for more details.

Dependancy mods:
- Module Manager (not included)

Compatibility:
- KSP-AVC
- CorrectCoL
-Trajectories

Suggests:
- RCS build aid
- Take Command Continued

Patches included:
- Stock: EAS-1 External Command Seat
- MK-1 Stockalike open cockpit
- Kerbonov
- Buffalo
- Omicron
- SXT Continued
- USI Exploration
- USI Konstruction

Installation:
- On update remove any existing older version.
- Be sure to have Module Manager installed (not included in this dowload)
- Copy/paste the folder "Ext-Seat-Dummy" in your "Kerbal Space Program/GameData" directory.
- If needed (for the mod versions older than 0.3.0), you can activate a MM_KSP-version.cfg compatibility patch in "Ext-Seat-Dummy/ModuleManager_Patch",
just rename the ".txt" extension to ".cfg", be sure to have only 1 patch activated at the same time.
- Enjoy!

Download the pre-release on Github (select: Source code (zip))
  (willl be on Spacedock and CKAN once out of pre-release)

Changelog

Github page

License

The 3D model is based on this work (Public Domain), thank you @PeterEdwardson

For modders:

Spoiler

- You can use/import the model to aid you design your part (check the sources on github),
the center of this part must match the seatpivot position of your part.
- If you have a compatible mod but not  already a patch yet, i can help you, just let me know here.
- Please notify me if a patch needs an update.

large.jpg

Edited by Skalou
v0.3.0

Nice :)

Does the stock contract for testing part will appear for this part ? Would be nice to have a contract that ask to jettison a (fake) kerbal while on escape trajectory out of Kerbin :D

In the gif it looks like the dummy kerbal is semi-transparent, is it ?

:D, i didn't tought about a contract with it, good idea! i will look at it.

Yes the part is semi-transparent for now, mostly because i'm pretty bad at texturing, and a bit because i see it more as a hangar tool or as test part. :P

blOhxXz.png

5 minutes ago, Skalou said:

Yes the part is semi-transparent for now, mostly because i'm pretty bad at texturing, and a bit because i see it more as a hangar tool or as test part. :P

Maybe leave it transparent in the editor but give it a solid texture while in flight ? Not sure if it is possible tho.

9 minutes ago, Skalou said:

I don't have any skill in code, i deal only with stock tool or from other modders.
i don't know if this is actually possible and if someone already made such thing.

Thinking about it I can't see a mod that does that. I "probably" can do the code for you, need to fix my mod first.

Thank you for the proposition :),
does it really worth it thought? i could also made it opaque in every scene, but the biggest problem actually is it still will be as badly textured :P
After a quick search: i see this:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases   from @Shadowmage

Add handling of shader changing. If no shader is specified it will not be changed (and remain at the last setup shader, which may not be correct, but is the only behavior that can be guaranteed).

Used in this mod probably: SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions
i don't know if it can be changed it game thought

but i don't understand how to use it yet, maybe it's a bit overkill for my small mod too? simplicity could means less chance to bug or break on update too and sometime better performance. but why not try it for science!

Edited by Skalou

32 minutes ago, Skalou said:

Thank you for the proposition :),
does it really worth it thought? i could also made it opaque in every scene, but the biggest problem actually is it still will be as badly textured :P
After a quick search: i see this:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases   from @Shadowmage

Add handling of shader changing. If no shader is specified it will not be changed (and remain at the last setup shader, which may not be correct, but is the only behavior that can be guaranteed).

Used in this mod probably: SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions
i don't know if it can be changed it game thought

but i don't understand how to use it yet, maybe it's a bit overkill for my small mod too? simplicity could means less chance to bug or break on update too and sometime better performance. but why not try it for science!

Or you can use Firespitter to switch between the two texture, bundle the core firespitter mod (or make it an optional dependency). You just have to had a module to your part.cfg, here, scroll down to FSTextureSwitch2.

@Li0n, i will look at it later, thank you :)

I 've a module manager trick to solve:

For now, in the dummy part .cfg i copy/paste manually the kerbalEVADragCubeString values from the physics.cfg and use them in a standard drag cube:
i copy this:

//kerbalEVADragCubeString = Default, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.6,0.7,0.4, 0.6,0.97,0.7, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0,0,0 0.8,1.1,0.8 // The drag cube kerbals use, Physics.cfg

and use it as (look at the line cube=...):

DRAG_CUBE
	{
		//cube =		,      X+      ,       X-     ,     Y+     ,     Y-      ,     Z+       ,       Z-     ,Bcenter Boundextents.
		//cube = Default, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.6,0.7,0.4, 0.6,0.97,0.7, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0,0,0 0.8,1.1,0.8 // The drag cube kerbals use.
		  cube = Default, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0.6,0.97,0.7, 0.6,0.7,0.4, 0,0,0 0.8,0.8,1.1 //rotated EvaDragCube
		//kerbalEVADragCubeString = Default, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.75,0.92,0.4, 0.6,0.7,0.4, 0.6,0.97,0.7, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0.85,0.95,0.4, 0,0,0 0.8,1.1,0.8 // The drag cube kerbals use, Physics.cfg
		//the first six triplets are X+, X-, Y+, Y-, Z+, Z- faces of the cube.
		//The numbers are area, drag coefficient, and depth of widest point from the frontmost point at that angle.
		//The next triplet is the bounds center, the final is the bounds extents.
	}

I would like to automated it, because this values changes at nearly each KSP release.
I asked some questions on the module manager thread and @Sigma88 nicely answered them but I need more help, and prefer to continue here:

-4 how can i copy these  values and write them? i looked at the doc but i'm unable to do it.

(-then i will have to switch them, but it has already been answered.)

the whole part config is available >>here<<.

Thank you for any help. :P

Edited by Skalou

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice, I can finally make WWI bi-planes without firespitter cockpits :D

Try your best on those textures. They could use a little work.

Edited by Murican_Jeb

On 1/14/2017 at 0:41 PM, Li0n said:

Maybe leave it transparent in the editor but give it a solid texture while in flight ? Not sure if it is possible tho.

I could make the textures to always be solid.

for now i don't plan to do much on the model, but if a talented modeller/painter want to contribute it will be really welcome :wink:
However any suggest is really welcome, maybe you have an idea for something simple to do. do you prefer ( ugly) solid texture instead of transparent?

• 6 months later...
23 hours ago, 15Redstones said:

Does this work in 1.3?

Yes for the main features ( mass, COM,...), the only thing that won't be accurate is the drag and buoyancy ( because it has changed in 1.3).

but i'm working on a new version :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.