KSP Weekly: Volunteers Wanted!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_ojqvps3lxN1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! In this edition, we straighten out the status of the project we have been working on lately, the progress of the localization process and some details about what the art department has been busy with this week. Now without further ado, let’s begin!

Let us begin with the development stuff: We are working on a number of streams including Bug-Fixing, Localization and releases after that. We haven’t said much about the latter yet because development is still in the very early stages and we don’t want to fall short on our promises to the community. We’ll release details as things get further along in the cycle and are closer to their end states. That is the reason why the last few KSP Weeklies have been short, simply because most of us are working on this epic (a set of different features in scrum slang) which is still in the early phases, but it is going at full swing.

In other news, work on localization is proving to be quite interesting. Keyboards are quirky and need special handling. Testing of languages may seem strange to some, but not all text is equal. Certain elements of KSP have been designed to fit around the English language. For example, when another language is used it may require much more space than originally allowed for. We don’t necessarily need to understand what the words say to spot layout issues. We have a team of volunteers within QA, who have mainly come from the community and are busy working through the translations and checking that they make sense from a KSP perspective.
We do however require some additional assistance from you, the KSP community, for a few more volunteers (many hands make light work) that we need for a couple of the languages. If you speak/read/write Japanese or Chinese-Simplified fluently and are willing to volunteer a bit of your time to make KSP great in these languages then please drop our QA Manager @JPLRepo a PM on the forums.

Here are some examples of the work we’ve been doing. The images are in Chinese and Japanese, but take into account that this is still a work-in-progress so not all of the text localization is complete. Take a look into the details of the textures, this will give you an idea of the meticulousness of the work we’re doing:

tumblr_inline_ojqvsyg9R81rr2wit_540.png

The Loud and Clear update for consoles is also going really well. We’ve been looking into UI and control scheme improvements, which are looking great!

The art department has been busy preparing some assets for the big release, as well as fixing some issues with the localized images and doing the retopology of a Kerbal for cinematic videos. For those who don’t know what retopology is, it is a modeling process, which helps by laying down a low-polygon mesh over the top of the high density models. This allows artists to model in a more organic and natural way, and then lay a mesh over the top of it that has a lower polygon count. The purpose of this is to have better animations for cinematics in the feature.

Finally, would you like to get the chance to win this Kerbal IVA Bundle, courtesy of Shapeways

tumblr_inline_ojqvwemqsk1rr2wit_540.jpg

Stay tuned to all our Social Media channels to learn more, we’ll give more details next week!

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

19 minutes ago, SQUAD said:
We haven’t said much about the latter yet because development is still in the very early stages and we don’t want to fall short on our promises to the community. We’ll release details as things get further along in the cycle and are closer to their end states.

Watch out, it's learning... :wink:

1 hour ago, federicoaa said:

Chinese simplified only? sad, I could help with traditional

We are only looking for a few more people who can help with Chinese Simplified and Japanese for now.

1 hour ago, sebi.zzr said:

What address?! As if you didn't already have enough.

Go China :confused:

My address. Send me a private message.

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Here are some examples of the work we’ve been doing. The images are in Chinese and Japanese, but take into account that this is still a work-in-progress so not all of the text localization is complete.

Such a place also can be Localized!
However, it feels like I am watching the culture of my country that appears in other countries' movies.
It might be better to check before officially putting it in this place. So you may be able to find the labor saving you can save in the future. Or, people who saw this situation may be recruited for volunteers.

My English is very awkward, though. For that matter.

Edited by EBOSHI

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Boy these new weekly updates sure are informative!

9omEPN.gif

+1

I've gotta say, several weeks of "we're working on localization and a biiiiggg suurrrrpiiiiiiisssee! Tune into the next KSP Weekly to find out!"

(the next week) "So this week we're working on localization! We're aaaaallllmost ready to reveal our big surprise!"

It's not hyping me up at this point. I'm just getting annoyed.

Edited by Xavven

I would rather hear about bugfixes and performance improvements than vague mystery-feature hype.
TBH, I'm not really interested in "big surprises" unless they are of the "terrain seams fixed" or "garbage collector stutter eliminated" variety.

Edited by steve_v

Changing even the textures for localization seems overkill for me, but im not a big fan of localizating KSP anyway. You dont realy need to understand the text ingame to play it (the numbers are enough), similar to minecraft. And how many children learned their first english words from minecraft?

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

I'd rather Kiera Knightley turns up at my door, having suddenly developed a thing for slightly chubby 30 year old men.... seems more likely :P

By 'thing' I presume you mean an unexplained attraction, and not some sort of 'physical device' covered in spikes?

Back on topic. ..  . I'd rather have info about stuff that's done and ready rather than glimpses of 'shiny things' that may or may not change, or take longer than they anticipated to complete.

Snippets of what's being worked on or planned for the future are great, but they can easily get interpreted as promises.  So it makes sense to not release details too early. 

4 hours ago, Xavven said:

It's not hyping me up at this point. I'm just getting annoyed.

The salt is strong in this one :rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, Elthy said:

And how many children learned their first english words from minecraft?

And have you played any Japanese video games that haven't been translated to english? ... what was the first word you learned to read in Japanese?

So much salt ... Murphy's Oil Soap Law states that when there is nothing to complain about the forum will either create a complaint or bring up past percieved grievances in order to have something to complain about ... lesson is that no matter what you do, those who have a tendancy to complain will continue to do so regardless of what you do

Keep on keepin on Squad, there are many of us here that support and appreciate your efforts

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So much salt ... Murphy's Oil Soap Law states that when there is nothing to complain about the forum will either create a complaint or bring up past percieved grievances in order to have something to complain about ... lesson is that no matter what you do, those who have a tendancy to complain will continue to do so regardless of what you do

Keep on keepin on Squad, there are many of us here that support and appreciate your efforts

Wise words.

6 hours ago, Frybert said:

Honest question:

Would you rather them say nothing?

Yes, if they have nothing to say.

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

In this edition, we straighten out the status of the project we have been working on lately,

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We haven’t said much about the latter yet because development is still in the very early stages and we don’t want to fall short on our promises to the community.

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We’ll release details as things get further along in the cycle and are closer to their end states.

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Stay tuned to all our Social Media channels to learn more, we’ll give more details next week!

That’s it for this week.

Thanks for clearing that up...

Edited by John FX

... we should be grateful, honestly. But patience is no trait of youth... good thing people grow older and not reverse.

I`m personally amazed how this piece of entertainment software has grown up and how much efforts various people put in the game, well, i am a patient person and don`t dare to bother other people for minor things like "this" and "that"...

SQUAD people are great.

And btw, more than 300 million people speak russian, and english is not the most common language on this planet. I speak myself several uralic, latin, slavic and indogerman languages, some of them almost perfect. German is a piece of cake for me.

Edited by Mikki

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.