5thHorseman

Little Changes You Love

Recommended Posts

Although it doesn't directly affect the gameplay I really like the cricket sounds at night, its a nice change from the loud bird chirping of previous versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2017 at 0:19 PM, Leafbaron said:

One thing I like very much is related to SAS. When targeting surface retrograde and landing, if you over throttle and start flying up, SAS switches to SAS hold instead of flipping your craft 180 degrees to chase the retrograde marker. especially useful when only a couple meters above the surface. 

Uhh... No it doesn't...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Uhh... No it doesn't...

it sure does. did you test with a pilot or a probe. The pilot steering may differ from stability assist on probe cores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

it sure does. did you test with a pilot or a probe. The pilot steering may differ from stability assist on probe cores. 

One of my favorite changes (the other half is having "hold retrograde" at all).  If I could download whatever "pre-career" 2015 version I started with, I'm sure I could come up with more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

it sure does. did you test with a pilot or a probe. The pilot steering may differ from stability assist on probe cores. 

It doesn't QUITE do that, but in most situations it effectively does. If you are aiming perfectly retrograde and fire such that your speed goes to 0 as you pass from retrograde being downward to upward, yes it'll go to the standard SAS hold. However, if you have a decent amount of sideways velocity when you thrust, your prograde vector will go "around" you and you'll continue to aim at retrograde.

Specifically, if your velocity goes low enough (a couple m/s in my experience though I don't know the exact number) you lose the ability to aim at prograde or retrograde, and if you were aimed at them, it goes back to "regular" SAS.

Though I didn't know they ever "added" that. I thought it was part of 'hold prograde' from its inception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

It doesn't QUITE do that, but in most situations it effectively does. If you are aiming perfectly retrograde and fire such that your speed goes to 0 as you pass from retrograde being downward to upward, yes it'll go to the standard SAS hold. However, if you have a decent amount of sideways velocity when you thrust, your prograde vector will go "around" you and you'll continue to aim at retrograde.

Specifically, if your velocity goes low enough (a couple m/s in my experience though I don't know the exact number) you lose the ability to aim at prograde or retrograde, and if you were aimed at them, it goes back to "regular" SAS.

Though I didn't know they ever "added" that. I thought it was part of 'hold prograde' from its inception.

I have never noticed it until recently in all the years ive been playing. so i just assumed it was a new feature. I don't know how many times i have held retrograde only to be violently swung about with zero horizontal velicity i might add just because i started flying up instead of down. I only found out about this when i was being careless and forgot to change the holding on a decent. i over throttled and and started gaining altitude but my SAS was switched from retro to SAS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pin-able menus in the 1.0 update and the new smooth fonts in 1.2.x.

The UI feels extremely more bearable on my 1920x1080 res now. Before it was a kind of a pain in the eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2017 at 9:04 PM, Rath said:

Cargo bay opening range sliders.

You know, I used to have the sliders, but now for some reason I don't.  Playing on 1.2.2.  Is it possibly a mod that gives the sliders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cargo bay sliders are stock - make sure you have advanced tweakables enabled? Otherwise, probably a mod you've installed interfering somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having to design my ship so it won't clip the launch tower on the way up. 

Having the KSC look like it might actually be a real space center, not just a disfigured chess piece with it's tongue hanging out.

Not having to use an outside program to bring in sub assemblies to add the premade lifting stages of my ship. 

Water now seems softer to land on than land. 

 

Edited by Gargamel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2017 at 7:09 PM, wumpus said:

One of my favorite changes (the other half is having "hold retrograde" at all).  If I could download whatever "pre-career" 2015 version I started with, I'm sure I could come up with more.

Hold retrograde is easily my favorite.  Especially with the "hold what used to be retrograde until you just barely switched the signs" patch tacked on.  Of course the latter might be an even smaller thing that makes me happier than most big changes (unlike most games, the big changes rarely make me unhappy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Automatic fuel-flow balancing across adjacent tanks.  This made everything a lot simpler.  Prior to that, I would have to set up fuel lines everywhere and selectively lock-down flow from certain tanks just to ensure that the craft retains proper balance during thrust.  Now though, the game is much smarter about which tanks to drain first, and multiple tanks all joined together are considered one large "tank" as far as fuel-flow seems to be concerned.  

Makes VTOL aircraft and powered landers much less finicky.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/01/2017 at 5:38 PM, Sharpy said:

Alt-click a vessel to fly it. Doubleclick a vessel to set it as target. Press B once and board as soon as it's possible.

Oh wait, these are still mods.

0.16 I got KSP I did not know this! :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2017 at 2:32 AM, fourfa said:

The cargo bay sliders are stock - make sure you have advanced tweakables enabled? Otherwise, probably a mod you've installed interfering somehow.

I guess I was thinking the sliders worked for all of the payload bays, but I guess they only work for the larger ones and ramps.  No problem!

Edited by Sarxis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

I love how in 1.2 the parachutes spread out more, so they don't overlap. That used to bug the heck out of me.

And whats more, there is now actually a slider in the editor that lets you set the spread angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.