Part Mod Etiquette

Redshift OTF

So, I've made a small submarine mod that gives ballast functions, electric propulsion, a nuclear reactor etc but as I don't have much modelling talent I have re-used some Squad parts for various functions. What are the rules behind this? No parts will be replaced, only added, (for example I am using the Mk0 fuel tank model for a ballast tank).

Also, I will be using the TurboProp part from the KAX mod to create an electric propeller. I am not going to bundle this part in my mod, I will simply state that KAX will need to be downloaded and offer a replacement config file that will give the part new properties. Is this also allowed? I don't want to step on anyone's toes so I thought I would check here first. :)

2 hours ago, Redshift OTF said:

So, I've made a small submarine mod that gives ballast functions, electric propulsion, a nuclear reactor etc but as I don't have much modelling talent I have re-used some Squad parts for various functions. What are the rules behind this? No parts will be replaced, only added, (for example I am using the Mk0 fuel tank model for a ballast tank).

Also, I will be using the TurboProp part from the KAX mod to create an electric propeller. I am not going to bundle this part in my mod, I will simply state that KAX will need to be downloaded and offer a replacement config file that will give the part new properties. Is this also allowed? I don't want to step on anyone's toes so I thought I would check here first. :)

Hi you can do all of what you want purely with MM patches, all you need to do is supply cfg's and MM will create new parts based on those,

For a good recent example of stock part abuse see challenges discussion  Drag Race idea and @Azimech 's drag race mod which uses purely stock parts

5 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi you can do all of what you want purely with MM patches, all you need to do is supply cfg's and MM will create new parts based on those,

For a good recent example of stock part abuse see challenges discussion  Drag Race idea and @Azimech 's drag race mod which uses purely stock parts

Oh well, I've already made the parts and cfg files, I was just wondering about permission that's all. Also, thanks for your advice about getting thrusters to work by adding a mass resource, (I read it in another thread). Although somehow I managed to get the KAX TurboProp to work purely on electricity without needing to add a resource with mass.

7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

In that case I think if you are set on those parts then you are stuck, as far as I'm aware you can't distribute Squad assets, which is why the MM and pure cfg method works so well

Ah that's a shame. How do I go about using the MM / pure cfg method? Will it make new parts based on another part, (so the original and modded parts are both in the game), or does it just over-write the original parts properties? Thanks for your help btw!

1 minute ago, Redshift OTF said:

Ah that's a shame. How do I go about using the MM / pure cfg method? Will it make new parts based on another part, (so the original and modded parts are both in the game), or does it just over-write the original parts properties? Thanks for your help btw!

Check out that mod I mentioned as that is  perfect example of how it works, the parts can be resized etc in cfg even recolored and Does create a new prefab to the spec in your cfg.

10 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Check out that mod I mentioned as that is  perfect example of how it works, the parts can be resized etc in cfg even recolored and Does create a new prefab to the spec in your cfg.

OK I see, all the changes can be made in MM. If I want to distribute it do people just download the MM file I made then? What if they already have an MM file installed? I want to make it as easy as possible for people to use rather than get people to modify files. Sorry if my questions are a bit noobish. :P

1 minute ago, Redshift OTF said:

OK I see, all the changes can be made in MM. If I want to distribute it do people just download the MM file I made then? What if they already have an MM file installed? I want to make it as easy as possible for people to use rather than get people to modify files. Sorry if my questions are a bit noobish. :P

No worries everybody has to start somewhere.  All you need to do once you are happy is package and distribute the cfg's , no need to supply anything else, just note that it on;y works with MM installed, there can't be many who don't have it now.  That mod also provides a good example of how to package it in an accessible form

3 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

No worries everybody has to start somewhere.  All you need to do once you are happy is package and distribute the cfg's , no need to supply anything else, just note that it on;y works with MM installed, there can't be many who don't have it now.  That mod also provides a good example of how to package it in an accessible form

Ah I get it now. You just create a separate file for the changes and it works through MM. That makes sense. :) Thanks for your help and I will see what I can come up with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.