[1.9.x] K2 Command Pod: Two Kerbal stock-alike pod

linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer some sort of problem with the metadata on CKAN

Original K2 Command Pod is what shows up. It has jfjohnny5 as the author, app version 1.4,  no source code link, the forum link is to the old thread, and the Max KSP Version is listed at 1.1.2
Then there should be an entry for K2 Command Pod Continued, which is credited to you, but lists app version 1.1.8.2 for KSP Version 1.3.1, but does not show was available.  If I change the compatible version for KSP to "1.1", it appears.

FYI, opening the JSON I see this:

For the New one K2CommandPodCont

"module_version": {
				"1.1.8.2": {
					"abstract": "The K2 Command Pod. This pod supports 2 Kerbals (but only requires 1 - making it handy for rescue missions). This",
					"description": null,
					"kind": null,
					"author": [
						"linuxgurugamer"
					],
					"comment": null,
					"conflicts": [
						{
							"name": "K2CommandPod"
						}
					],
					"depends": null,
					"download": "https://spacedock.info/mod/1163/K2%20Command%20Pod%20Continued/download/1.1.8.2",
					"download_size": 849058,
					"download_hash": {
						"sha1": "30855DEB473B974A592976EDBD4975E46A2F5208",
						"sha256": "8BF0E28ACA1A8C32147CA1A628E50A5AD5817D84FEC7E817CE898E915994A7D3"
					},
					"identifier": "K2CommandPodCont",
					"ksp_version": "1.3.1",
					"ksp_version_max": null,
					"ksp_version_min": null,
					"ksp_version_strict": false,
					"license": [
						"CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0"
					],
					"name": "K2 Command Pod Continued",
					"provides": null,
					"recommends": null,
					"release_status": null,
					"resources": {
						"repository": "https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/K2_Command_Pod",
						"homepage": "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155013-12-k2-command-pod-two-kerbal-stock-alike-pod/",
						"bugtracker": null,
						"spacedock": "https://spacedock.info/mod/1163/K2%20Command%20Pod%20Continued",
						"curse": null
					},
					"suggests": null,
					"version": "1.1.8.2",
					"supports": [
						{
							"name": "ConnectedLivingSpace"
						},
						{
							"name": "TacLifeSupport"
						}
					],
					"install": [
						{
							"file": "GameData/JFJohnny5",
							"find": null,
							"find_regexp": null,
							"find_matches_files": false,
							"install_to": "GameData",
							"as": null,
							"filter": null,
							"filter_regexp": null
						}
					],
					"spec_version": "v1.4"
				},

For the old one:

"module_version": {
				"1.4": {
					"abstract": "K2 Command Pod: Two Kerbal stock-alike pod",
					"description": null,
					"kind": null,
					"author": [
						"jfjohnny5"
					],
					"comment": null,
					"conflicts": null,
					"depends": null,
					"download": "https://spacedock.info/mod/700/K2%20Command%20Pod/download/1.4",
					"download_size": 899760,
					"download_hash": {
						"sha1": "79F2FCABA9FEF8197372166424303F19C3B579EC",
						"sha256": "D189EF8BA5DCF6BAD6C0ACDE832A0F282390A84242A9685B58C0DA82B4D0BC05"
					},
					"identifier": "K2CommandPod",
					"ksp_version": "1.1.2",
					"ksp_version_max": null,
					"ksp_version_min": null,
					"ksp_version_strict": false,
					"license": [
						"CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0"
					],
					"name": "K2 Command Pod",
					"provides": null,
					"recommends": null,
					"release_status": null,
					"resources": {
						"repository": null,
						"homepage": "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/94581-104",
						"bugtracker": null,
						"spacedock": "https://spacedock.info/mod/700/K2%20Command%20Pod",
						"curse": null
					},
					"suggests": null,
					"version": "1.4",
					"supports": null,
					"install": [
						{
							"file": "GameData/JFJohnny5",
							"find": null,
							"find_regexp": null,
							"find_matches_files": false,
							"install_to": "GameData",
							"as": null,
							"filter": null,
							"filter_regexp": null
						}
					],
					"spec_version": "v1.4"
				},

Edited by Murdabenne
addition

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly or fortunately, depending on your point of view, this mod is kinda "useless" since we get two 2 seat command pods in the stock game. However, the siize of the Gemini like stock command pod is 1.875 m in diameter, the K-2 still enters the 1.250 m diameter category. 

On the other hand, the vostok like stock command pod is a 1.250 m diameter category but ruins rocket aerodynamics with its shape, requiring either good piloting, not too powerful engines or a fairing for it to work well at launch and doesn't have any reaction wheel or built in RCS, but is still made to somehow put itself butt first during reentry.

I surprisingly never really find use for the K-2 Command pod and prefereed the Knes 2 seat dog nose like Patin command pod for rescue and early tourist missions, since it can some how fly in atmosphere with an integrated ablator. That one has built in full SAS system as well making keeping it in the right direction very easy in early game when Kerbals don't have any experience whatsoever and can be fully functional without any pilot in the driver seat, kind of cheaty, where the K-2 is just a normal command pod.

I also see that the K-2 doesn't have lights on graphics so it stays dark whatever you do...

It is still cute, though.

I guess it is still usable with one original Mk16 parachute and doesn't need more to slow down at the correct return touch down speed.

5 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Sadly or fortunately, depending on your point of view, this mod is kinda "useless" since we get two 2 seat command pods in the stock game. However, the siize of the Gemini like stock command pod is 1.875 m in diameter, the K-2 still enters the 1.250 m diameter category. 

On the other hand, the vostok like stock command pod is a 1.250 m diameter category but ruins rocket aerodynamics with its shape, requiring either good piloting, not too powerful engines or a fairing for it to work well at launch and doesn't have any reaction wheel or built in RCS, but is still made to somehow put itself butt first during reentry.

I surprisingly never really find use for the K-2 Command pod and prefereed the Knes 2 seat dog nose like Patin command pod for rescue and early tourist missions, since it can some how fly in atmosphere with an integrated ablator. That one has built in full SAS system as well making keeping it in the right direction very easy in early game when Kerbals don't have any experience whatsoever and can be fully functional without any pilot in the driver seat, kind of cheaty, where the K-2 is just a normal command pod.

I also see that the K-2 doesn't have lights on graphics so it stays dark whatever you do...

It is still cute, though.

I guess it is still usable with one original Mk16 parachute and doesn't need more to slow down at the correct return touch down speed.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, sometimes it's better to NOT say it.

If nothing else, this allows current saves which use it to continue.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping mods like this alive despite the odd negative comments you seem to accumulate. I'm still new to the game and haven't decided to pick up the DLC yet, so access to a 2-man command pod was lacking. So far I'd gotten by with a Mk1 pod and a Lander can strapped behind it, but that's such an ugly and inelegant solution; I'm looking forward to exploring all the ways I can include this capsule in my future craft!

7 hours ago, JH4C said:

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping mods like this alive despite the odd negative comments you seem to accumulate. I'm still new to the game and haven't decided to pick up the DLC yet, so access to a 2-man command pod was lacking. So far I'd gotten by with a Mk1 pod and a Lander can strapped behind it, but that's such an ugly and inelegant solution; I'm looking forward to exploring all the ways I can include this capsule in my future craft!

Glad you like it.

There is an Extras folder included, which patches the K2 from a 1.25m to a 1.875m diameter

I do recommend the DLC, but can understand your desire to wait.

And yes, some people feel very entitled, it's just something that mod authors like myself have to deal with.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

New release, 1.1.10

• Copied config to new part with default size to be 1.875m instead of 1.25
  • Make new part to be roughly equivalent to the stock mk1-3
  • Made original into "Hidden" so it won't show up in the editor any more
  • Created patch to remove the Hidden option from the 1.25m part if desired
  • Updated the science experiment to use same localization as the stock in both parts
  • Moved MM patches into their own directory
  • Updated MM patches to work with the new part

Umh... just for my understanding, if I update this mod, the pod in the part list would now have a diameter of 1.875 m instead of 1.25 m, right?

As per my understanding, the crucial property of this mod was to have an 1.25 m pod for two Kerbals, doesn't this change invalidate the basic idea here?

42 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Umh... just for my understanding, if I update this mod, the pod in the part list would now have a diameter of 1.875 m instead of 1.25 m, right?

As per my understanding, the crucial property of this mod was to have an 1.25 m pod for two Kerbals, doesn't this change invalidate the basic idea here?

Yes,  which is why I left the old part there, and a patch to restore it.  It doesn't make sense as a 1.25m part with two Kerbals

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes,  which is why I left the old part there, and a patch to restore it

Understood, thanks for that! :)

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It doesn't make sense as a 1.25m part with two Kerbals

Well, I have a different opinion here.

At any rate: thanks for still maintaining this almost anachronistic part, for old me it's still not only important but one of the most "kerbalish" parts.

• 2 months later...

Cool, thanks, I'll have a look soon! :) 

Hmm... for the 1.25m one:
    entryCost = 9000
    cost = 5000

and for the 1.875 one:
    entryCost = 7600
    cost = 3800

For the 1.25m variant, I changed those numbers for my KSP instance to be between the Mk1-1 (0/600) and a bit closer to the Mk2(4000/2800):
    entryCost = 3000
    cost = 2000

Edited by VoidSquid

37 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Cool, thanks, I'll have a look soon! :) 

Hmm... for the 1.25m one:
    entryCost = 9000
    cost = 5000

and for the 1.875 one:
    entryCost = 7600
    cost = 3800

For the 1.25m variant, I changed those numbers for my KSP instance to be between the Mk1-1 (0/600) and a bit closer to the Mk2(4000/2800):
    entryCost = 3000
    cost = 2000

I'll review this later, but for now, I just did another small release to unhide the 1.25 version of the part

Release: 1.1.10.2

Not urgent at all, just wanted you to know. 

...and everything works as intended - not that did expect anything else from you :D 

Now the only little icing on the cake would be some candle light in the cabin visible from outside ;) 

Thanks again, @linuxgurugamer  for maintaining this mod!

Edited by VoidSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.