[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

I wonder how much processing overhead scoring would add? Tracking who fired a missile and which plane it hit shouldn't add too much. But tracking the origin of every bullet, and what they hit, if they hit?

The simplest kill criteria I can think of is scoring a kill if the AI module is destroyed or the part it's mounted on becomes detached. Can loss of all engines be detected? Without thrust a plane is good as dead.

Hey SM, I went back to completely stock KSP except for BDA and PRE, and built another test vehicle with the same aerodynamics and AI settings as the previous one. The problem disappeared completely.

I'm guessing it's probably my dirty ass game, so I'm just going to do a fresh KSP install and be more careful with mods. If anything else comes up I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for all your help.

2 hours ago, TheMelonofTruth said:

I'm guessing it's probably my dirty ass game, so I'm just going to do a fresh KSP install and be more careful with mods. If anything else comes up I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,  always  happy to help a cooperative customer Happy flying

9 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

What happened to the BD armory catagory? What broke when going from 1.3 to 1.3.1 that caused that to happen?

HI

You do not have a compatible BDAc installed for KSP 1.3.1. The current release for KSP1.3 does not work in 1.3.1.  The only version available for KSP 1.3.1 is the Radar Public Beta . And what caused it , the 1.3 build to fail in  1.3.1 ,  was one of  Squads  famous last minute changes. to less than one seemingly unimportant line of code

3 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HI

You do not have a compatible BDAc installed for KSP 1.3.1. The current release for KSP1.3 does not work in 1.3.1.  The only version available for KSP 1.3.1 is the Radar Public Beta . And what caused it , the 1.3 build to fail in  1.3.1 ,  was one of  Squads  famous last minute changes. to less than one seemingly unimportant line of code

Thank you. Can you link me the beta?

The Parts Are Not Visible. (By This, I Mean I Cant Select Any Parts At All. They Arent Available. Even Though I Have The BD Armory Continued Folder In The Game Data Folder,  I Cant Select The Parts.)

18 minutes ago, Julian. said:

The Parts Are Not Visible. (By This, I Mean I Cant Select Any Parts At All. They Arent Available. Even Though I Have The BD Armory Continued Folder In The Game Data Folder,  I Cant Select The Parts.)

On 10/14/2017 at 3:15 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HI  No KSP version info, No KSP.log , No Bdac version number, entitles you to one guess only.  You have in all probability installed incorrectly (50% of such reports)  or installed the wrong BDA version for your KSP( the remaining 50%). 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaJENGyWQ9YnBujSVI3lU

Hello! So, I've been having a problem with a recent build of mine; an F/A-18F Super Hornet, to be exact.

I just set up a battle to test it, with several ground targets and two Super Hornets with different loadouts (one w/ JDAMs, one w/ HARMs). Both of them keep trying to climb straight up to get to their default altitudes (~5km for JDAMs, ~7km for HARMs). Since they kept losing altitude to make up for the loss of speed when climbing straight up, I activated guard mode on both to speed things up a bit.

The jet with HARMs performed fine after that, although it did fly straight over the enemy and get shredded by AA. The jet with the JDAM loadout, however, would line up for a target, go in, and then pitch up 90 degrees. Then, it would continue the flip because it was going slower than the minimum speed, and it would run away because it was taking fire. It would repeat this over and over, and it never even dropped a single JDAM.

So, I tried running the scenario again, but this time with fewer craft and with the debug lines/labels enabled. I didn't see anything messed up in the debug labels, but I did notice that there was a label that said something like "climb limit angle: unlimited."

I assume that the AI flies straight up like this because there are enemies nearby and it's way below the set altitude, so, instead of climbing up slowly, it says, "Oh no, enemies! I need to get up there fast!" and it climbs straight up.

Could we possibly get an option to set the max climb angle on the AI pilot?

(I just tested the BDA plane to see if it does the same thing. Without any enemy craft around, it flies up in a spiral, but, with enemy craft nearby, it flies straight up)

EDIT: It appears the AI pilot is extending, and it wants to quickly reach its default altitude while extending.

Edited by Deathpuff12

The BDAc menu IS gone in the 1.3 version on 1.3.1, however for those of you who don't want to go to the Beta version, most parts can be found in the other tabs under the more complex categories, such as sorting by Manufacturer. I hope this helps some of you!

8 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

(I just tested the BDA plane to see if it does the same thing. Without any enemy craft around, it flies up in a spiral, but, with enemy craft nearby, it flies straight up)

Hi, been seeing this a lot lately and it seems that every time the cause is the same.  If you go maybe a page or so back, you'll find a similar post and convo,  same problems exactly, and not for the first time.

Long story short, I strongly suspect you have a dirty game, that is a game in which the are no show stopping errors,  but lots and lots of little ones from numerous places. It's worth pointing out that NON of these errors will be (if correctly installed and versioned) from BDA.   A clean game, nothing in the logs aside from assemblies(dlls)  parts, textures and cfg loadings, MM logging etc .  A dirty game, empty cfg errors. null refs for plugin and missing modules, missing textures, cfg errors , wrong mod wrong version etc .  Right now post update ,  clean games are in short supply

It's is now pretty obvious to me that in such dirty games  the BDAc PAI ( Autopilot) has difficulty operating, and the dirtier the game the worse the performance.  This ALWAYS manifests in two states, either "Run away" in which a pursued aircraft will fly at full speed away from the combat and continue until it runs out of fuel or it gets some operator intervention. The next state " Reach for the stars" is a similar thing but vertically. Similar problems will be experienced by the Weapon manager, though this seems to take a little more dirt,  and finally the vessel mover browse window will fail when the game gets just too messy/

I've pursued this for months now and every time, as in the last case, if the aircraft is placed with just enough mods to build it , and  BDA, in a clean stock (no other mods) game the problems all go away.

How you proceed is up to you, though for getting the best out of BDAc, I'd be looking at trying to build a bug free install for it to run on.  

Just now, Deathpuff12 said:

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have a lot of mods that I don't use, so I'll give it a try.

Good plan, do report back and let me know how it pans out,  eventually  all these reports will lead to the thing, that first domino falling,  that causes the issues .

Cheers

2 hours ago, AlexWingace said:

The BDAc menu IS gone in the 1.3 version on 1.3.1, however for those of you who don't want to go to the Beta version, most parts can be found in the other tabs under the more complex categories, such as sorting by Manufacturer. I hope this helps some of you!

Good tip, although there are no issues with the beta that will affect the average user, and in fact , it's good to get updated as it's loads more interesting  (exploits aside)

1 minute ago, Tomrie_Kermen said:

Installed KSP 1.3, Installed BD armory and requirements, Doesn't show up at all in my game even though it loads BD Armory when the game is starting up

Hi , based on the info in your post i would suggest that you check that BDA is correctly installed, as non appearance in game despite loading indicates that BDA is not in fact installed correctly.

BDA must be installed in KSP/GameData and the only acceptable filepath  is KSP/GameData/BDArmory.   KSP/GameData/GameData/BDArmory will not work and is the usual issue  .  which is the result of unzipping the archive into GameData rather than the KSP main folder. 

Ok, I took all the mods out of my GameData folder except for BDA and PRE. I tried several different versions of my Super Hornet, and I tried the BDA AA test plane (set the default altitude to max: 8500m). All of them still tried to go straight up when there was an enemy craft nearby (note: debug label, during this, says, "Target position is below minAlt. Adjusting by [distance to my set default altitude]"). All craft involved would pitch up and go straight up until, in the case of the test plane, they got there, or, in the case of my planes, they stalled a few times and for some reason decided to actually attack.

Also, sometimes when they would go on an attack run, the jets would go straight at the enemy craft, without selecting a weapon, and they'd just pass over harmlessly. I tried changing their default altitudes to the default (1.5km), and none of the problems described (except for the pitching up to reach default alt.)  went away.

I tried putting bombs on the craft to see if the other issue still exists (pitching up and then doing a full loop because of loss of speed). The Super Hornet seems to be the only craft with the problem, but I can't fathom why it would have this problem. When manually controlling this aircraft, it's completely stable. There's no problem with the craft pitching too far up when I pitch up, which is what I would think would be the cause of the problem. When controlling it, I can turn SAS off and it flies just as smooth as it does when SAS is on. I can only think that this is a problem with the AI, but for some reason it only happens with this jet.

I think it would be worth saying that I'm in 1.3.1 with the latest beta version of BDA. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it's a beta version, as I remember having similar problems in previous versions, such as the guard mode not selecting a weapon, or the AI pilot pitching up too hard on a bombing run. I have never, however, had the problem with the AI pitching up, and that's the problem that I feel warranted this report of sorts.

If you would like, I could get whatever log files you need, and I could record a video of the screwy behavior.

EDIT: Here's a link to my Super Hornet: https://kerbalx.com/Deathpuff12/FA-18F-Super-Hornet-CAP

Edited by Deathpuff12

Here's what I've gathered so far, in all my testing:

• Around 3km and up, the AI will, when bombing, pitch up very hard; it does this long before the bombing circle is anywhere near the target. In my case, the AI drops below 80m/s and it continues the flip so that it can extend and regain speed. It usually does this several times, and it may eventually line up correctly, but by that time it would probably be dead.
  • Below that, the AI does relatively fine when bombing.
  • The angle of climb an AI uses depends on the default altitude and the presence of enemies. If there are enemies, and the altitude is high, it will go up the fastest way it knows how: like a rocket.

The problem that I'm trying to address here is the fact that the AI performs strangely when it's set on the higher end of the default altitude scale and it's going against ground targets. I think that some anti-ground weapons are meant to be used from higher altitudes, but this problem makes that difficult; bombs seem to be useless above 3km, and if a jet is set to a really high altitude, it has trouble actually reaching that altitude. I understand that most of this could be solved by spawning the attacking jet very far, letting it gain altitude, and then going to the battle, but it takes time, and some people want to have a quick battle. Plus, the jets will lose altitude during attack runs, and they'll screw up eventually.

I hope this isn't a stupid problem or some oversight on my part. If it is, I'm very sorry for wasting your time on a trivial matter. If it isn't, I hope that it gets fixed, because it sort of makes any aircraft, other than fighters and jets with 1.00 thrust/weight ratio, useless.

Edited by Deathpuff12