[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

On 2017/10/31 at 10:40 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, particle emission, sadly is a very subjective thing and what looks right for one person may look completely wrong to others. 

While i see  that indeed your trail is different, it's not right , as can be seen be the lower missile in the image which shows and initial emission much larger than the missile diameter . For me this is never going to look right, and i much prefer to use the unity definition for exhaust particle life and form,

Timeline of a Particle

Exhaust smoke emerges from the pipe quite fast but then rapidly slows down on contact with the atmosphere. As it slows, it spreads out, becoming fainter and soon dissipating into the air. Since the exhaust gas is hot, it also rises slightly as it passes through the colder air surrounding it.

A particle of exhaust smoke must start off no larger than the width of the pipe but it will then grow in size considerably over its short lifetime. It will usually start off partly transparent and fade to total transparency as it mixes with the air. As regards dynamics, the particle will be emitted quite fast but then slow rapidly and will also lift upward slightly.

The behavior  you have laid out in the inspector window is the reverse of that and I'd dispute some of your chosen settings.  Simulate in local space rather than world space keeps the FX locked to the missile, when you really need world space simulation to allow the smoke to disperse correctly.     Starting at size, initial size should be ,IMO, no bigger than the exhaust that is emitting,  you have chosen 2 which gives a very large, 2 meter particle  and then you chose 1.5 as the final size,  which is the reverse of every other effect. I'd suggest no more than 0.25 as the start size and 1.5 as the max size.  Size grow you have set a minus value, so the particle shrinks after emission, when it should really grow and fade away .  Having set the energy so low in order to keep the size down, seems like a band-aid for the particle  which you've already made too large, results in that misty not cohesive exhaust. Energy controls how long the particle will last after being emitted .

My preferred setup gets me something like , which while overly bright around the flame element is IMO perfect everywhere else, initial emission is the same size as the exhaust port, the smoke is heavy and compact to start and dissipates over time .

For clarity, IMO, is my opinion as an independent  weapon mod maker. and not the opinion of the BDAc team as a whole or in part(excepting my part obviously) .

OuBg7CP.png

Thank you for your advice I will have a try

To hopefully spare anyone from a horrendously bad facepalm moment, just so this is at the newest comments (I suggest adding this into the OP and maybe the KSPedia)

The AI will not recognize you have toggled infinite ammo. YOU MUST PUT A CORRECT CALIBER AMMO BOX ON THE CRAFT!

I spent... too long without realizing this... I'm sorry.

2 hours ago, caelo said:

To hopefully spare anyone from a horrendously bad facepalm moment, just so this is at the newest comments (I suggest adding this into the OP and maybe the KSPedia)

The AI will not recognize you have toggled infinite ammo. YOU MUST PUT A CORRECT CALIBER AMMO BOX ON THE CRAFT!

Please see our ingame BDPedia (KSPedia) for more details on how to use BDAc and the weapon systems it contains :wink:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

3 hours ago, caelo said:

Also, if you try mounting weapons not normally used to shoot at flying things, you need to toggle Target Air to enabled.

Hello. I'm Japanese student.

I have a problem.

・In Japanese version, the AI couldn't work when use 2-mode engine after 1.3 update (example : J-404 "Panther" Engine). I think that it's same in other languages expect English.

So, I would like you to improve it.

(Sorry, I can't speak English well.)

Edited by GurePan

Release: v1.0.0 - Under the radar, over the horizon

Changelog:

Spoiler
  • NEW FEATURES:

• Under the radar: Radar & Stealth, re-design of how the radar system works
      -> see developer wiki for mechanics / part config
      -> see included changelog for details

• Over the horizon: Massive improvements to ballistic missile guidance and modular missiles, ability to simulate ICBM flight paths
      -> see included changelog for details

• New dedicated sonar ping and torpedo ping sounds, courtesy of PapaJoe!

• FIXES / ENHANCEMENTS:

• Localization updates, including chinese localization (thanks @Acea)
    • Fixed indestructible Kerbals - weapons/explosions have effect on Kerbals again! (thanks @Designer225)
    • Fixed AIPilot problem with drag estimations (thanks @RichardDastardly)
    • Fix missile infinite fuel
    • Fix rwr window invisible in fresh installs
    • Display ranges of RWR and radar display now linked, selectable display range of radar display up to configured PRE physics max range!
    • Window position saving also for vesselswitcher
    • Prevent active radar missiles locking onto anything they see, now obey engagement settings
    • Sonar pings and torpedos only show on RWR if vessel is splashed/submerged
    • Fix guard mode "cheating" - now must have detected an enemy with radar/sonar or with visual range before it can attack it
    • If a cruise missile has terminal guidance, it can be switched off (before launch) in the part action window. The missile will then be purely gps guided without engaging its terminal targeting mode
    • If debug labels are enabled, upon entering the editor all bda parts & their properties (if relevant for balancing) are dumped into .csv files for convenient analysis in excel
    • Complete review of all event handlers, should reduce some actual or potential nullrefs upon explosive vessel disassembly
    • General performance improvements due to code refactoring

NOTE: As always, BDA needs PhysicsRangeExtender and ModuleManager to work properly!
Latest versions (as of this release date) are bundled in the download release zip.

Important note regarding the radar redesign & stealth features:

• All existing 3rd party part mods which contain radars (or MM configs to add radar capabilities to other parts) will need an update to function properly with BDAc 1.0.0!
  • see our developer wiki for technical information on how this works, and what changes are needed to existing radar parts or MM config
  • Most modders are already aware of the required changes, and have already released updates, or will release updates shortly.
    This includes widely used mods such as: SM-Marine, SM-Armory, MTW, Red vs Blue, NAS, and others. Check the release thread of your parts mods for updates stating compatibility with BDAc 1.0.0.

Special thanks & acknowledgements:

• Special thanks to our test group, and all testers and modders who supported us during our closed and open beta phases!

Edited by TheDog
typo

1 hour ago, GurePan said:

Hello. I'm Japanese student.

I have a problem.

・In Japanese version, the AI couldn't work when use 2-mode engine after 1.3 update (example : J-404 "Panther" Engine). I think that it's same in other languages expect English.

So, I would like you to improve it.

(Sorry, I can't speak English well.)

We did have a similar issue some time ago (https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/issues/285) Let us know if the problem is still showing up in this last release we just published.

6 hours ago, gomker said:

We did have a similar issue some time ago (https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/issues/285) Let us know if the problem is still showing up in this last release we just published.

Thank you for answering. I tried to active AI pirot with Panther engine in last release (BDAc v1.0.0). But the problem is still showing up.

Like this.

Edited by GurePan

Running the 1.3 version if KSP, and the 0.3.0 version of BDAc. 

For some reason, the armor plating is completely destroyed by Lewis guns from SM_armory. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just an OP gun from the SM armory, so I tested with the .50 cal turret from BDArmory (Dual barrelled popout one). I had the same results, a normal armor plate took 16 .50 caliber rounds to destroy (The gun fired 8 times). To me this seems off, am I incorrect? Here is my mod load:

mod_info.PNG

Third-party bug report: Radar guided missiles with terminal guidance would automatically lock and turn backwards to the launcher seconds after launching.

Tested under 1.3.1, English version, confirmed multiple times.

Hi @Acea or @SpannerMonkey(smce), Acea has stopped developing CAL since its incorporated into BDAc now, also on OP of CAL there is said he will implement the box into NAS. But when I tried to load my crafts, it says there is Universal box missing. Is the box in some Legacy form somewhere to replace him with new BDA Universal box?

Also, is the new v1.0.0 for 1.3.1 only or for 1.3 too?

Thanks!

Edited by Toonu

1 hour ago, Toonu said:

Hi @Acea or @SpannerMonkey(smce), Acea has stopped developing CAL since its incorporated into BDAc now, also on OP of CAL there is said he will implement the box into NAS. But when I tried to load my crafts, it says there is Universal box missing. Is the box in some Legacy form somewhere to replace him with new BDA Universal box?

Also, is the new v1.0.0 for 1.3.1 only or for 1.3 too?

Thanks!

It will be there tonight, in next NAS release. You can also find that part in old NAS releases.

EDIT: updated

1 hour ago, TheDog said:

Will check - which particular missile did u use? Rbs-15?

A modder of our team tried to apply new settings to his own PL-12, details are not clear.

Edited by Acea

11 minutes ago, Acea said:

It will be there tonight, in next NAS release. You can also find that part in old NAS releases.

Thanks, its actually only needed to switch to BDA box and then again useless, I always felt this part issues in KSP as tricky. :D

20 minutes ago, TheDog said:

Its mainly tested on 1.3.1, but should work fine on 1.3 as well.

Actually, I will try and write how it's going. :wink:

1 hour ago, Acea said:

A modder of our team tried to apply new settings to his own PL-12, details are not clear.

Just checked with several existing missiles (SARH and Fire&Forget), firing from both ground and air. None came back.

But if one of your modders has an issue with a new missile, he can send me the missile config (and ideally a savegame .sfs file)  and I will debug/have a look at it!

14 hours ago, GurePan said:

Thank you for answering. I tried to active AI pirot with Panther engine in last release (BDAc v1.0.0). But the problem is still showing up.

Like this.

I will reopen the existing issue. It may take us some time as localization issues are hard to test because of language differences. 

Edited by gomker

Hey guys,

I have a quick question that I am hoping one of you can answer..

I installed both Community tech tree and BDAc and yesterday the weapon manager was in tech level one.. today its in tech level 6, I suspect user error on my behalf but I can not honestly think of anything I have done that would cause this change.. where is your weapon manager located? is it one of the first things you get as I think it should be.. or has it now been moved?

Thanks for any help in my quest for answers :D

1 minute ago, Twitchi said:

the weapon manager was in tech level one.. today its in tech level 6,

I only use Sandbox mode for the most part , never used Community Tech Tree. The only thing that I know affects this is "TechRequired = precisionEngineering" from the weaponManager Config

This part config has not been changed in quite some time.

Yeah thats where I find it now.. crazy that it wasn't until today for me :s

Honestly kinda liked it there, was useful for writing early game "test this gun" contracts

thanks for the speedy reply :D

Edited by Twitchi

1 hour ago, TheBeardyPenguin said:

Does guard mode work in space yet? I recall that it was broken..
Quite important that it works for an upcoming Youtube series :)

Oh c'mon beardy, you should continue with Cold war with new nations, because space update is in work, but space warfare won't be so much fun, because it can be like in collaborative, go in, send missiles, wait, kill or not, run away/orbit on your old trajectory. :D

1 minute ago, Toonu said:

Oh c'mon beardy, you should continue with Cold war with new nations, because space update is in work, but space warfare won't be so much fun, because it can be like in collaborative, go in, send missiles, wait, kill or not, run away/orbit on your old trajectory. :D

LOL. Ok, so regarding space guard mode. I think with this new release it has improved a bit :) . An orbiting vessel will engage other orbiting vessel within range (I have tested this using HyperEdit)

Thing is, what you have grown up seeing in 95% of the sci-fi movies and tv shows that involve battles in space is all garbage, let me explain ......

This is not to say that it isn't possible for space battles to be a thing as I've done them and they can work but currently everything needs to be choreographed in order to get the battle you would expect ... And this is the core of why I am posting about this, expectations ....

There is no atmosphere in space which means there is nothing for any control surfaces to bite into in regards to missiles so they would need to use some sort of RCS or reaction wheel setup just for controlling it's orientation (HEKV used something to this effect) let alone every course correction would still require the use of some sort of fuel to counteract the velocity vector of the missile so it will travel where it is supposed to ... it is inaccurate when dealing with orbital velocities around planets (not having an atmosphere completely changes how things work)

Pro Tip: use Minmus, Gilly or Bop as your starting point for your space battles .... Orbital velocities are substantially lower and BDAc currently uses the body you are orbiting to do many of it's calculations such as calculate how fast it is going (last time I checked velocity in LKO is somewhere in the ballpark of 2000m/s)

I remember an episode from Babylon 5 where there was this missile launched at the station that had some form of cloaking and it would travel to a point in space, decloak, re orient itself to target, calculate distance and time to impact, cloak and travel until it either hit it's target or traveled for longer than the estimated time to impact at which point it would decloak, re orient to target etc .... (Rinse and repeat)

Anyways, might I suggest watching the video's below as I'm sure you will have a better understanding of what is involved with space warfare IRL as well as space warfare in a game that, at it's core, tries to simulate real world physics ...