[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

Stealth feature is an awesome addition to the game. But it is quite simple, because it must be resource-efficient (optimization). Current RCS is based (calculated) on three pictures (frontal, lateral, ventral). Now the plane, which has low frontal RCS, still has large overall RCS (and is easy to detect), because it has a large ventral or lateral RCS. Real-time calculating, making these grayscale images in the game would be too demanding. But I have an idea: the game could calculate in real time only the angle (in three dimensions) at which "plane A" is flying relative to the "plane B" radar. An angle in the X, Y, Z axis could be set to determine whether the "plane A" is facing forward or sideways to the "plane B" radar. If "plane A" would fly to the "plane B" frontally, the game would select premade (in hangar) RCS value based on frontal grayscale of "plane A". "Plane B" radar would take into account only the frontal RCS of the "plane A". The game would have to calculate in real time only the angle between planes or objects. Such system shouldn't be resource-hungry.

Here is picture that shows how it could work:

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/issues/365

On 11/14/2017 at 4:56 AM, BlueDragon1504 said:

expected this to be a bit more.... Broke

Wow - much better than expected considering all the targeting / guidance changes we made since it was created. 

*sigh* I have created a micro jet drone that is a big, fat CHICKEN. Does it turn to the fight when the battle begins? No! They flee and run out to sea before the mighty talons of the Falken! I gave them more missiles and still they run. I took away all their missiles to see if having to rely merely on a pair of Vulcans would stiffen their spines.

Again, nope! That time one managed to start its cringing so early it smashed into the ground the instant the bell rung. The other three met quick ends by missile or allowed themselves to be chased down into the water, flagrantly ignoring the 500 meter limit. Perhaps Carrying four AIM-20 missiles that are about as long as the drone is a bit much of a load? They're not even 4 tons fully loaded.

Other times they'll run so far the Falkens give up and go to circling, waiting for the cowards to return from their runs thousands of meters away, or up.

It's not like the drones don't have the speed, they can easily hit 390 without missiles, 360 loaded with four AIM-20's. They can turn etc quite nicely. They're small, thus harder to hit with gunfire. On the rare cases when they do get aggressive, they can inflict damage, usually with their guns because 4 missiles VS 8 is a bit of a mismatch, but without all four in the flight getting stuck in, the best they do is damage one of the four Falkens. I've run many a battle with none of the four drones firing a shot before they crash themselves or get shot down.

See the failure here. Needs Airplane Plus and MasterTech Weapons (for the jammer box). Has a combo AI and weapon manager antenna. Aviator Arsenal? Too many mods. https://pastebin.com/ZknZjmTR

Avionics nosecone radar patch

@PART[avionicsNoseCone]
{
    #@PART[bdRadome1]/MODULE[ModuleRadar] {}
}

I do have some larger drones, and manned versions of them, which are aggressive and very adept Falken killers, no idea why the little ones built of size 0 parts, with three of the little afterburning engines from Airplane Plus, are so wussy. They use a MM patch to add the pointy radome capability to the avionics nosecone. Initially I did the snubnose one, dismal. Switching to the pointy didn't help.

One of the bigger drones and its manned version, uses four of those small afterburners. Tiny wing area and huge control surfaces, who needs vectored thrust?

I may found a bug. I can fire AGM114 with boresight of an radar at targets.

AGM as many know is a laser guided weapon and shouldnt hit it

also, the JDAMs dont hit the GPS coords... I selected the cords in the menu, selected the jdam and slew the target circle over the marked gps target. All of my bomb missed

The FLIR Pods Camera got an like watermark mirrored picture of my hole screen.

Edited by LTRyan

can we add a multiple weapon feature? or at least a smarter ai? i made a fighter jet with a tail gun. it faced itelf in a game of chicken, perfect for its cannons. but then it decided that its tail gun was suitible though it had no los. the planes automatically go for turrets, and turrets that have well, turreting off dont work.

can we fix this?

I think I found a glitch of sorts. I was testing out the AA defence of one of my frigates, and for some reason, one of the lasers just stayed in the air despite the whole thing having been destroyed. Sorry for the bad-ish picture. The laser extends as far as I can zoom out. The pic is of the base/start point:

screenshot559

Howdy! 

First off ive got to extend the all my gratitude, i have spent hundreds of hours playing with BD Armory since before 23.5  lots of fun was and still is had. 

Most recent update, 1.3.1, however gives me a strange bug.  Im attempting to have dogfight the AI but upon loading the second vessel into the KSC all of the controls are reversed.  roll left = roll right , steer right = steer left, pull up = dive down

consequently it makes the AI crash dramatically and no fun is had.  Really not sure what to think about this one.  somehow i want to blame my computer hardware.....

2 hours ago, theroundcow said:

controls are reversed

HI. while not 100% on the probable cause,  it has been noticed in testing elsewhere, that how the AI behaves depends not on the orientation of the craft itself but on that of the cockpit, this is not such a big issue most of the time, however up until 1.3.1 it did not matter, and the models transforms could face anywhere as long as the main Game object ( the thing the game uses) had  a zero rotation.  I've only found one easy to completely prevent it form happening and thats to make sure that the pivots for cockpits are all nicely zeroed.  Sadly this is something the mod maker has to deal with and not something you can fix yourself, if indeed this is the cause.  Another good indicator is if that when you switch between craft the same thing happens

@DoctorDavinci, @SpannerMonkey(smce) here is the error log now:

Spoiler

1>------ Build started: Project: BDArmory.Core, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
1>  No way to resolve conflict between "System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e" and "System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089". Choosing "System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e" arbitrarily.
1>  BDArmory.Core -> C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory.Core\bin\Debug\BDArmory.Core.dll
2>------ Build started: Project: BDArmory, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
2>  BDArmory
2>  ...
2>  set lpath vars from LocalDev storage...
2>  The system cannot find the file specified.
2>  Copying KSP assemblies from "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed" to "C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\LocalDev\Refs" folder...
2>          1 file(s) copied.
2>  KSP API references copying complete!
2>  No way to resolve conflict between "System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e" and "System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089". Choosing "System.Xml, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e" arbitrarily.
2>C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\Parts\BDModularGuidance.cs(491,26,491,48): warning CS0108: 'BDModularGuidance.previousTargetVelocity' hides inherited member 'MissileBase.previousTargetVelocity'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended.
2>C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\Parts\BDModularGuidance.cs(492,25,492,48): warning CS0108: 'BDModularGuidance.previousMissileVelocity' hides inherited member 'MissileBase.previousMissileVelocity'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended.
2>C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\Control\BDModulePilotAI.cs(80,26,80,39): error CS0103: The name 'verticalSpeed' does not exist in the current context
2>C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\Control\BDModulePilotAI.cs(81,34,81,43): error CS0236: A field initializer cannot reference the non-static field, method, or property 'BDModulePilotAI.maxVspeed'
2>C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\Control\BDModulePilotAI.cs(81,46,81,52): error CS0236: A field initializer cannot reference the non-static field, method, or property 'BDModulePilotAI.Vspeed'

2>C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\Misc\BDAEditorCategory.cs(142,25,142,49): warning CS0612: 'ModuleRadar.minSignalThreshold' is obsolete
2>C:\Users\PCAdmin\Desktop\addons\BDA\BDArmory-master\BDArmory\Misc\BDAEditorCategory.cs(142,58,142,88): warning CS0612: 'ModuleRadar.minLockedSignalThreshold' is obsolete
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Boldfaced is the error with my custom modifications.

4 hours ago, theroundcow said:

Howdy! 

First off ive got to extend the all my gratitude, i have spent hundreds of hours playing with BD Armory since before 23.5  lots of fun was and still is had. 

Most recent update, 1.3.1, however gives me a strange bug.  Im attempting to have dogfight the AI but upon loading the second vessel into the KSC all of the controls are reversed.  roll left = roll right , steer right = steer left, pull up = dive down

consequently it makes the AI crash dramatically and no fun is had.  Really not sure what to think about this one.  somehow i want to blame my computer hardware.....

If you're using any control surfaces backwards, with the normal trailing edge pointing forwards, BDArmory cannot handle that even though KSP itself can with manual flight control from the user, or holding steady with SAS. If you're using control surfaces backwards, the BDA workaround is to restrict them to one axis, Yaw, Pitch or Roll, then slide the authority tweak into negative numbers.

However, that will screw it up for manual flight. If you're wanting to use backwards mounted canards for pitch and roll, IIRC BDA will operate them correctly for roll but not pitch. Since there's only one authority slider for all axes, inverting it will fix pitch but make roll wrong. It's sort of like turning a computer mouse over. Roll the ball to the left or slide your finger left across the sensor, the pointer goes left. but up and down gets inverted.

The fix should be to have BDA tap into whatever system KSP uses to handle weird players who use control surfaces in odd ways. :wink:

Morning all. With the implementation of Stealth features, I request a few parts/additions to the mod to complement it. 

First is an External Weapons Pod, like the one being proposed for the F-18/E Super Hornet. This can carry a range of stores, such as 4x AIM-120, 4x SDB + 2x AIM-120, etc, etc. As its external it would have a drag penalty, as well as additional weight. However it will allow the user to 'clean up' existing non/partial-stealth aircraft, reducing RCS at the cost of additional drag and weight.

Second is a air-combat capable IRST (Infra-Red Search and Track). The one already in-mod isn't capable of A2A targeting, despite planes like MiG-29, Su-27 (and derivatives), Typhoon etc having an A2A capable IRST. Only capable of short range engagements, it will however allow an attacking aircraft to switch off its radar while still being able to engage enemy aircraft. Switching off the radar will obviously reduce the chance and range it will be detected, due to it not transmitting.

Third is a radar jamming mode for the radar cones/dishes. Not as powerful as a dedicated jamming pod, but takes inspiration from real-world fighter/AWACS radar that can dedicate a portion of the radar's capabilities to jamming, mainly AESA type (Active Electronically-Scanned Array) dishes, advanced Mechanically scanned arrays and Hybrids (such as CAPTOR) 

Somebody, teach me the ways of the stealth! I wish to make ninja jets.

I tried to make a YF-23 replica, but it had no less of a cross section than all my other aircraft. I don't remember the cross section, but it was able to be locked at about 13km when I gave up on it. I hadn't even started on the tail.

5 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

Somebody, teach me the ways of the stealth! I wish to make ninja jets.

I tried to make a YF-23 replica, but it had no less of a cross section than all my other aircraft. I don't remember the cross section, but it was able to be locked at about 13km when I gave up on it. I hadn't even started on the tail.

So from what I understand the YF-23 (and all other steath craft in production AFAIK) have what is commonly referred to as a 'Stealth Coating' which KSP parts do not have

However all is not lost ... DCK has YCSM modules (You Can't See Me) which effectively provides for this

There is also invisible aircraft armor and bubble shields (Halo) for when you can't hide from the radar no more :wink:

Spoiler

However all is not lost ... DCK has YCSM modules (You Can't See Me) which effectively provides for this

Correct - angles surfaces can only get you so far - they cannot make your craft fully stealthy by themselves. This is realistic.

You need additional 2nd gen stealth coating, provided by specially configured ECM jammers, like the YCSM by DCK or the bda mk22 cockpit.

8 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

Is there a way to make the AI shoot faster? I'm trying to make a ballistic missile defense but the AI takes a long time to lock onto an adversary and switch targets after destroying the previous target.

How did you set the guard mode options of firing Intervall and burst length?

For rapid shooting and target switching both must be set LOW (like 1sec).

Edited by TheDog