[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

57 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

It is very strange. A 3000 tnt mass will create a massive mess (maybe even destroy the entire KSC)

Can you try to change the detonation distance to 1-5 meters with your missile? Maybe you can also try a different stock missile?

4 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Non whatsoever . Hitpoints are calculated based on surface area and density.  TNT mass is the quantity of TNT in a missile that gives approximately a realish world result and is tuned to each missile or weapon system

For a detailed explanation and the formulas in use visit the post linked below

difficult to tel via crystal ball, we have no clues as to the design,  method of construction  or control of your missile .

I've made several changes to the stock missiles.

And it turns out only the aim-120 has the real power of 3000 tntmass and any other missiles like agm86 or HARM wont even hurt the pod a bit.(I just srfstach them on the pod and launch, the missiles drop on the ground and explode)

That's really bothering me for some days.

Thanks to your reply and really wish to get it solved to make my mod some how more perfect.

17 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Non whatsoever . Hitpoints are calculated based on surface area and density.  TNT mass is the quantity of TNT in a missile that gives approximately a realish world result and is tuned to each missile or weapon system

For a detailed explanation and the formulas in use visit the post linked below

difficult to tel via crystal ball, we have no clues as to the design,  method of construction  or control of your missile .

I've noticed that the problem is about detonation distance override.

If we can put this to the cfg file to make changes instead of setting them in the game, that will be much more efficient.

People dont usually change the detonation distance override manually.

Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, Johnny005611 said:

I've noticed that the problem is about detonation distance override.

If we can put this to the cfg file to make changes instead of setting them in the game, that will be much more efficient.

Thanks again.

Would you mind to open an issue in our Github Issues section, adding a description and steps to reproduce the problem?  I will take care of it. 

24 minutes ago, Johnny005611 said:

.(I just srfstach them on the pod and launch, the missiles drop on the ground and explode)

Which actually means they aren't launching or being activated and any explosion is that purely of the part NOT any contained TNT mass. Part of the correct launch procedure involves  using the weapon manager selecting the missile to be launched  and pressing the mouse button . having placed the missile is such a position that it is not obstructed by any part of the craft.

We generally find in testing that depending on craft design and size that 250 is more than enough to take out anything, when used in accordance with correct BDA procedures

12 minutes ago, Johnny005611 said:

It's already a thing,  Though i will say that the detonation override setting is very useful for many players, especially those who understand how the damage system works, and like to tune thing for effect, especially in combat scenarios ,   and I'd be adverse to any adjustment being removed

MODULE
	{
		name = MissileLauncher

DetonationDistance = 0
    engageAir = true
    engageMissile = true
    engageGround = false
    engageSLW = false
  )

EDIT btw  a setting of Zero  will in a lot of case do less damage than a setting of  1.5 due to the way the blast propagates, slow low energy missiles can use lower settings, but faster higher energy  high mach missiles can and do beat game physics and a setting of 0 will allow the missile to pass right through before the game clock can trigger an explosion

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

@Johnny005611 - from what I gather by reading your posts it appears that you haven't read the instruction manual as all weapon firing is controlled by the weapon manager

No worries, all is not lost ... if you open the KSPedia you will find our BDPedia inside which gives a detailed explanation of how to use BDAc :wink:

It hasn't been updated with the latest features such as the RCS and HP/Armor system but it does contain detailed info on the core features and how to use BD Armory Continued ... Please consult the BDPedia so as to have a better understanding of how BDAc works and how to use it

If you are still experiencing issues after reading the instructions, feel free to inquire with us further :)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

8 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Would you mind to open an issue in our Github Issues section, adding a description and steps to reproduce the problem?  I will take care of it. 

4 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@Johnny005611 - from what I gather by reading your posts it appears that you haven't read the instruction manual as all weapon firing is controlled by the weapon manager

No worries, all is not lost ... if you open the KSPedia you will find our BDPedia inside which gives a detailed explanation of how to use BDAc :wink:

It hasn't been updated with the latest features such as the RCS and HP/Armor system but it does contain detailed info on the core features and how to use BD Armory Continued ... Please consult the BDPedia so as to have a better understanding of how BDAc works and how to use it

If you are still experiencing issues after reading the instructions, feel free to inquire with us further :)

8 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Which actually means they aren't launching or being activated and any explosion is that purely of the part NOT any contained TNT mass. Part of the correct launch procedure involves  using the weapon manager selecting the missile to be launched  and pressing the mouse button . having placed the missile is such a position that it is not obstructed by any part of the craft.

We generally find in testing that depending on craft design and size that 250 is more than enough to take out anything, when used in accordance with correct BDA procedures

It's already a thing,  Though i will say that the detonation override setting is very useful for many players, especially those who understand how the damage system works, and like to tune thing for effect, especially in combat scenarios ,   and I'd be adverse to any adjustment being removed

MODULE
	{
		name = MissileLauncher

DetonationDistance = 0
    engageAir = true
    engageMissile = true
    engageGround = false
    engageSLW = false
  )

EDIT btw  a setting of Zero  will in a lot of case do less damage than a setting of  1.5 due to the way the blast propagates, slow low energy missiles can use lower settings, but faster higher energy  high mach missiles can and do beat game physics and a setting of 0 will allow the missile to pass right through before the game clock can trigger an explosion

Thank you guys!

I've made some tests double time, to make sure I know how it works accurately.

And my result is that: The detonation distance is the matter.

As you said, the quicker the missiles fly, the distance should be increase a little bit.  And for my missile it works perfectly with a detonation distance of about 10m.

Thanks again for all your great works! You guys just got my problems sovled!

Nice team, LUV BDAc so much!

3 hours ago, Not Sure said:

Yet. (I hope?)

Yet.  Correct.  We are working on 1.4 now, as mentioned in the OP.  The changes to Unity version have created issues, and opened opportunities.   Both particles and shaders were impacted by the changes.  We are correcting the existing issues, and deciding on what opportunities to attack.  Likely it will be mostly corrections and get it released, but the opportunities are tempting. :D 

Rest assured that the team is on it. :D 

Edited by Papa_Joe

50 minutes ago, DirtyVenomSteam said:

So what you're saying is

Soon™?

Yes!  Perfectly described. :D 

48 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

btw is vesselmover usable in 1.4.x? kinda not sure

VesselMover has had some love.  We will be releasing an updated version (KSP 1.4.1 compatible) in the late AM on  Monday, US Central Time.

VesselMover has been released.  Also I've finally updated the Vessel Mover thread as well.  you can locate VesselMover in the OP under a hidden block, or from the VesselMover thread.  It is now available again on Github and SpaceDock.

VesselMover v1.7
- 1.4 recompile and upgraded to latest Unity
- Updated AppLaungher toolbar button to support new Unity Compression.  Increased icon size to 128 x 128

20 minutes ago, Papa_Joe said:

VesselMover has been released.  Also I've finally updated the Vessel Mover thread as well.  you can locate VesselMover in the OP under a hidden block, or from the VesselMover thread.  It is now available again on Github and SpaceDock.

VesselMover v1.7
- 1.4 recompile and upgraded to latest Unity
- Updated AppLaungher toolbar button to support new Unity Compression.  Increased icon size to 128 x 128

Speaking of Vessel Mover, I have a minor request for it: can you guys make it so we can actually drag the VM window around?

Just now, Box of Stardust said:

Speaking of Vessel Mover, I have a minor request for it: can you guys make it so we can actually drag the VM window around?

Can you make an issue in GitHub?  that way it will not be forgotten.

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

That would be great. Always blocks something for me^^

9 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Coming Soon™ to a battle near you :wink:

Noice, so we finally got a comfortable option to locate and acquire ground targets! :D

Will it also work with spy planes? (apparently the F35 also got high tech radar to do stuff like that) This mod is absolutely awesome, but the only problem is how janky it is to acquire targets, a bit in air, and particuarly on ground.

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

Will it also work with spy planes? (apparently the F35 also got high tech radar to do stuff like that) This mod is absolutely awesome, but the only problem is how janky it is to acquire targets, a bit in air, and particuarly on ground.

Hi,  The version demo'd above is set up for satellites and is non functional  below around 70km.  I'm sure Doc'd be amenable to a spy plane version, we'll just have to think of someway to punish it's use in atmosphere :)
What i really wanted to mention is the struggle many have with using the camera to lock and acquire targets. It came as a surprise to find out the many didn't know the trick, but then so much info has been lost in various forum deaths i suppose it's to be expected.  

SO camera use 101

Fit aircraft with cam AND radar, do note that all radar are not equal and some are now much better for this than others.
Usual launch routine,  gain alt etc.  Now i already have parts that do this , and other mods may have tuned for this as well,  with your radar,with a leaning toward look down ( higher numbers for ground clutter +0.5 is plenty)   rather than up,  identify and lock your target. Switch on your cam and click the radar button.  The cam will now swing to the radar lock,  and you can zoom, lock and send up the GPS coords with ease.  For multiple targets in the same area  cycling the radr lock will cause the camera to jump to each selected lock.

Of course you can try the struggle way of trying to lock a fixed target from 6KM from a moving aircraft by messing with the pan and tilt, but it will make you mad :)

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

5 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Which one? For VM or should I just put it on the BDA one?

Thanks for responding.  It would be the VesselMover Repository, but I've gone and looked already. There are 2 issues opened there for this feature request.  I've completed the change and am debugging another issue (Vessel selection only showing Stock vessels) now.  I think I have found the cause.

Next version will be soon (within hours I think).  I have not added persistence to the window move yet, but it will remember it while in the scene.  Make a scene change and it will revert.  Persistence will require some code to create a settings file.

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi,  The version demo'd above is set up for satellites and is non functional  below around 70km.  I'm sure Doc'd be amenable to a spy plane version, we'll just have to think of someway to punish it's use in atmosphere :)
What i really wanted to mention is the struggle many have with using the camera to lock and acquire targets. It came as a surprise to find out the many didn't know the trick, but then so much info has been lost in various forum deaths i suppose it's to be expected.  

SO camera use 101

Fit aircraft with cam AND radar, do note that all radar are not equal and some are now much better for this than others.
Usual launch routine,  gain alt etc.  Now i already have parts that do this , and other mods may have tuned for this as well,  with your radar,with a leaning toward look down ( higher numbers for ground clutter +0.5 is plenty)   rather than up,  identify and lock your target. Switch on your cam and click the radar button.  The cam will now swing to the radar lock,  and you can zoom, lock and send up the GPS coords with ease.  For multiple targets in the same area  cycling the radr lock will cause the camera to jump to each selected lock.

Of course you can try the struggle way of trying to lock a fixed target from 6KM from a moving aircraft by messing with the pan and tilt, but it will make you mad :)

That's a good trick, but I never really considered it because of the problem of acquiring ground targets with aircraft radar. Gave it a try on one of my crafts, which uses the BDmk22s radar. Added the stubby radar to help as well (just read for the first time that it's optimized for ground targets^^). It still had problems acquire (locating was easy) a small anti aircraft battery or remains of a jet that failed a landing. Needed to close in to <5km or so to get the lock.

In particular for fast moving multi role jets (using FAR atm), that seems like too much to use for bombing missons.

Having flown another test with just one stubby radar (slightly rotated downwards), I needed <6km for acquisition and <2km to target this wreckage:

Spoiler

M8Cjl7U.jpg

Edited by Temeter

2 hours ago, Temeter said:

Noice, so we finally got a comfortable option to locate and acquire ground targets! :D

Will it also work with spy planes?

Well the option will be there but you will need to install DCK FutureTech after I release it

as for spy planes ... well yes you will be able to use them on planes but the atmospheric density will need to be below 0.000005atm which is about 62000 meters and above on Kerbin :wink:

New vessel Mover release.

v1.7.1
 - Add ability to move Vessel Mover main window. Git Issues #13 and #42
 - Correct issue with Vessel Selection where the wrong game save folder is used.  Git Issue #31
 - Make Window display honor show/hide UI display in flight.  Git issue #44

If you have any issues or further requests, please take them to the Vessel Mover thread.  Enjoy!

11 minutes ago, Papa_Joe said:

New vessel Mover release.

v1.7.1
 - Add ability to move Vessel Mover main window. Git Issues #13 and #42
 - Correct issue with Vessel Selection where the wrong game save folder is used.  Git Issue #31
 - Make Window display honor show/hide UI display in flight.  Git issue #44

If you have any issues or further requests, please take them to the Vessel Mover thread.  Enjoy!

And for reference I am posting the forum thread link here: