[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

12 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Did 3 fights, and every time the light tanks (which SHOULD have been virtually unable to touch a 200mm armored tank) walk over the heavier tanks, EVEN when i added 2 more of them to try and even the odds.

In our tests, armor values below 240 were nearly useless (something that needs to be addressed IMO)

No amount of  armor seems to protect from the blast radius of HE weapons... and I'm not sure if ever will. I have even tested with spaced armor, force shields and even a new reactive armor.

12 hours ago, panzer1b said:

So ive been messing around with some tank battles using the new AI (which while extremely minimalistic and not that smart, is very nice addition as tanks will now move and at least TRY to avoid fire), and ive come across something really really odd in my testing.  It appears that armor and weapons really isnt very well balanced, specifically with regards to high explosive autocannon shells.  As an example, i put up 3 light tanks with ~100mm of armor all around (tank AI sorta requires omnidirectional armor as there is no option to make it play with something akin to a TD which HAS to face towards the enemy at all times and never show sides), up against 2 medium/heavy tanks with 200mm or all around armor and armed with a turreted 105mm gun.  Did 3 fights, and every time the light tanks (which SHOULD have been virtually unable to touch a 200mm armored tank) walk over the heavier tanks, EVEN when i added 2 more of them to try and even the odds.  It seems that armor just doesnt have the intended effect against lightweight weapons, specifically anything firing 30mm HE rounds which not only is extremely prone to blow up a tank's interior if any holes are made in the armor, but it consistently and reliably removes said armor.

hcWHPyR.png

I dont know, perhaps my tanks designs are made in such a way as to be very resilient to heavy weapons (most of which have major trouble even hitting a target consistently), but it seems that with equal numbers, tanks armed with automatic weapons (especially fast firing ones like the goalkeeper) are almost always going to win every fight purely because of the volume of fire and apparent ineffectiveness of armor against rapid fire HE ammo.  I strongly suggest adding some sort of functions that dramatically penalize low caliber HE rounds hitting armor, specifically armor that is considerably thicker then the impacting round.  There is nothing wrong with 30mm HE taking down heavier tanks with excessively conentrated attacks, but as it stands, 30mm HE is MORE effective at achieving kills then 105mm anti-tank guns.

That and with my testing of the current version, HE in general tends to be the dominant weapon, since it works against both very sloped and flat armor and has a tendency to shred internals way faster then solid shot AP does.  It should be effective against internals, but HE (short of very large calibers) should do virtually nothing to a well armored tank, especially with 75mm or lower HE rounds since they have very little bursting charge compared to say 122-155+mm rounds which actually have enough HE content to damage armor significantly.  75mm should still do something ofc, but 30mm should be 100% useless against 200mm armor regardless of what era the round was from (AP 30mm should do something, HE should be worthless).

Thanks for you feedback. Would you mind to open an issue on Github so we can keep track and not lose this valuable feedback?

On 4/30/2018 at 5:35 PM, TheKurgan said:

Please do not take what I am about to say the wrong way, I am not trying to insult your intelligence... honestly.

No, you do not need to assign individual weapons to an action group, you can do it all manually.

In the video below, I am manually testing the hellfire missile, watch what I do in the video, and let me know if what you are doing matches it.

To fire the weapon, in this case the Hellfire missile, I do the following:

1) open the Weapon manager.

2) At the 8 second mark I choose the weapon I want.

3) at the 43 second mark, I arm the weapon. (not applicable for guns) 

4) at the 44 sec mark, I press and hold the left mouse button to fire the weapon.

KSP BDAc Hellfire Testing Lateral Decouple

I hope this helps. If it doesn't help you, then try what @XOC2008 said, and try a clean install.

dB2oxe0.jpg

In many of the KSPs I have never been able to just click no matter what to fire anything but guns, what am I doing wrong, should LMB be an action group???

22 minutes ago, Masoneus said:

In many of the KSPs I have never been able to just click no matter what to fire anything but guns, what am I doing wrong, should LMB be an action group???

No, no action group necessary. 

If guns work for you, but missiles are not, AND you are definitely arming them (like I did at the 43 sec mark in the video) then it may very well be a clearance issue .

Missiles and bombs will not fire if the WM senses some sort of obstruction. (can even be an invisible poorly made collider)

grab one of the stock planes, mount a missile rail to the bottom of the wing, make the missile rail max height, attach a missile and go try to fire it. Make sure nothing else is near the missile.

To fire a missile, sometimes I have to hold the LMB for a sec or 2.

1 minute ago, Sebastiaz said:

Will the BDArmory 1.4.2 update only work for 1.4.2, or will it work with 1.3.1, I've tried it with 1.3.1 and had some rather weird results.

Not at all :)

The last version of BDArmory is only compatible with KSP version >= 1.4.1.

Edited by jrodriguez

2 hours ago, Masoneus said:

Works great now thanks. : ) I didn't think it was that long of a hold.

If you go into the Weapon Manager settings you can change the hold time to something you feel more comfortable with if what it is set on now is too long.

47 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

If you go into the Weapon Manager settings you can change the hold time to something you feel more comfortable with if what it is set on now is too long.

I are n00b... I didn't even know this :P

9 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Thanks for you feedback. Would you mind to open an issue on Github so we can keep track and not lose this valuable feedback?

Ill do that this weekend after doing a few more tests and battles (i may not have the time to mod much of anything, but i do still play KSP every few days).  Im trying to figure out specifically which bullets are doing the problems, to see whether its just the 30mm or actually every HE round.  Sofar ive tested the 30x173HEBullet and the 75mmBullet extensively, as well as the 105mmBullet and 90mmBullet.  The 30 and 75mm have HE properties (explosive = True), and the other 2 do not.  The 75mm HE is reasonably good right now imo as it does damage, but requires multiple hits to take down a small 1x1 100mm panel, so its neither overpowered or underpowered (and shreds unarmed anything as would be expected, virtually useless against very thick tanks).  The 30mm HE just evicerated everything short of super thick armor due to the combination of rate of fire and somewhat high raw damage.  It does alot less then the 75mm, but considering how much more often you are hitting a tank with the things (a single 240RPM weapon is enough per tank to do insane damage, goalkeeper or multiple single barreled autocannons will obliterate multiple heavy tanks), they are just broken OP.  the 90mm and 105mm behave somewhat plausibly, doing decent damage, but requiring relatively flat armor to be effective.  Sloped armor panels, even thin ones such as 100mm, are basically impossible to take down in a single hit unless you get super lucky and hit the panel on that ultra-thin edge near panel joints, in which case it will remove the panel in a single shot as expected (they will murder unsloped armor tanks, and have to work very hard vs slope).

Another thing ive noticed (may just be opinion), is that increasing armor thickness doesnt really result in considerably stronger protection as would be expected in reality.  100mm of armor is in practice very similar to 150mm or even 200mm or armor, and you only truly notice a difference in protection when going from 100 to 300-500mm.  Prolly the best example is my panther and tiger 2 replicas, which do not differ in effective protection by that much despite frontal armor going from 80 to 150 and the slope being sorta similar (panther's is more sloped, but not that much more sloped).  I believe the best solution would be to make it sorta non-linear, with the exception of rounds that are actually capable of penetration.  Non-penetrating shots that are NOT large caliber HE should do virtually nothing to a tank, or at the least require sustained hits to the same armor panel to take it down.  A good example would be some battles in WW2, such as the KV-2 tank that took fire from like 1000s of tank shells, tigers when they were 1st put into play, ect.  Those tanks could eat insane amounts of ammo provided none of the rounds were able to penetrate and keep on going.  I still support the idea where large volume of weak ammo would dislodge a panel even if its very thick, but 200mm or higher armor should be virtually immune to anything sub 100mm, and imo should be 100% immune to anything below 30mm that isnt a AP round such as the depleted uranium used on teh A-10 or similar guns, 30mm HE would do squat to a 200mm armored vehicle nomatter if its WW2 or modern (unless its shot with hundreds of thousands of rounds).

When i make the github bug report, ill upload a few tanks alongside so that you guys can try it out and verify whether its actually broken or just my machine/weapon selection (i use alot of turrets from old mods that have custom made weapon params, not to mention other mods like SMA so it may not be 100% relatable to bone stock BDA).

Edited by panzer1b

Uh, for some reason, every time I try to attach flares or chaff to my plane, it's texture turns into an ammo box? The flares and chaff work just fine, but the texture is a bit wonky. I'm in KSP version 1.4.2 using BDA 1.2 (For KSP 1.4.2).

Edited by PossiblyPrecarious
Added version info

2 minutes ago, PossiblyPrecarious said:

Uh, for some reason, every time I try to attach flares or chaff to my plane, it's texture turns into an ammo box? The flares and chaff work just fine, but the texture is a bit wonky. I'm in KSP version 1.4.2 using BDA 1.2 (For KSP 1.4.2).

Hi see the post below for the unofficial fix to this issue  ( for ref click the part that says SpannerMonkey(smce) replied to a topic ) not the main body as that will take you to first post of thread)

hi I have been having some issues with ai using missiles old setups I used that previously shot me down just sit there and maintain a lock and I can switch to them and shot it and It will home in on my a10 but the ai wont shoot the missile. Is this a bug? or am I doing something wrong (my setup is a tracking / lock radar, aim 120s or pac 3s, a battery pack and the weapons module on guard mode)

1 hour ago, ryan5251tgp said:

my setup is a tracking / lock radar, aim 120s or pac 3s, a battery pack and the weapons module on guard mode

Hello,

What are the missiles attached to?

2 hours ago, ryan5251tgp said:

hi I have been having some issues with ai using missiles old setups I used that previously shot me down just sit there and maintain a lock and I can switch to them and shot it and It will home in on my a10 but the ai wont shoot the missile. Is this a bug? or am I doing something wrong (my setup is a tracking / lock radar, aim 120s or pac 3s, a battery pack and the weapons module on guard mode)

Did you import a craft with weapons on it from a previous version of BDAc?

If so then this would be the core of your issue .... remove all BDAc and BDAc addon parts before loading your craft in KSP v1.4.x

If you try to use a saved craft from a previous BDAc version it will not work correctly as there have been substantial changes made to BDAc and these changes require that you remove all BDAc parts from a craft before running it in the latest BDAc release

Hi, I need some help, I accidently dragged the BDArmory window outside of the game window, now I can't see it anymore. I've tried restarting KSP as well as starting a new save, but I still can't see the BDArmory window when I click on the BDArmory button. Is there a place I can reset the position of the BDArmory window?

Edited by goduranus

2 hours ago, goduranus said:

Hi, I need some help, I accidently dragged the BDArmory window outside of the game window, now I can't see it anymore. I've tried restarting KSP as well as starting a new save, but I still can't see the BDArmory window when I click on the BDArmory button. Is there a place I can reset the position of the BDArmory window?

Positions for BDA windows seems to be at the bottom of the settings.cfg file in the GameData\BDArmory folder, you could try fiddling around with the x/y coordinates there. My settings look like this->

Spoiler

BDAWindows
{
    WindowRectToolbar = (x:1260.00, y:150.00, width:300.00, height:65.00)
    WindowRectGps = (x:0.00, y:0.00, width:290.00, height:0.00)
    WindowRectSettings = (x:590.00, y:100.00, width:420.00, height:480.00)
    WindowRectRwr = (x:40.00, y:424.00, width:276.00, height:296.00)
    WindowRectVesselSwitcher = (x:10.00, y:150.00, width:250.00, height:10.00)
}

That being said, the BDAWindows part of the settings is not there in my zipped download of BDA so simply deleting that portion of the settings might fix it for you if it's written to create those settings based on your window resolution. If doing any of this breaks your game you didn't hear it from me...

Edited by Wraith977

5 hours ago, Wraith977 said:

That being said, the BDAWindows part of the settings is not there in my zipped download of BDA so simply deleting that portion of the settings might fix it for you if it's written to create those settings based on your window resolution. If doing any of this breaks your game you didn't hear it from me...

Thanks, pasting your window coords fixed it.

Edited by goduranus