[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

4 hours ago, greyfox555 said:

I'm so utterly sorry if this has been asked before, but about a month ago I saw posts detailing low-kerbin orbit spy satellites with GPS abilities  and even mines that could be deployed. Are there current plans for these features? 

Hi, they are not contained within the BDA mod  For the mines see

And for the satellites and hammer of dawn  See

What do the parameters tracerDeltaFactortracerInterval and nonTracerWidth do? The tracers for the Aviator's Arsenal guns look a bit wonky for me and I'm looking into trying to fix them (I'm using the MM patch provided at the end of the AA thread). I'm guessing the last two is to model only a certain proportion of bullets actually having tracers (Every third tracer from AA guns with the MM patch is 'fat'), but nonTracerWidth for the hidden vulcan part is 0.035 which is somewhat confusing (what's the point?)(Nevermind, this was pretty obvious). tracerDeltaFactor looks like it deals with Time.deltaTime and I'm not even sure if I need to worry about that.

Also, I feel like this is a pretty big ask, but can someone who knows how the code works explain how targeting data is passed on to missiles for guidance? How does the VesselRadarData class work in general? I spent a whole whole night trying to decipher what's happening in the source code for something I'm thinking of doing and at the end of that my head and eyes were in agony. I might be able to do it myself but an explanation would be a big help.

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

36 minutes ago, CrayzeeMonkey said:

I spent a whole whole night trying to decipher what's happening in the source code for something I'm thinking of doing and at the end of that my head and eyes were in agony.

Welcome to KSP modding :wink:

Honestly though if you can't decipher what the code is doing no explaining from any of the team members will help you .... took us all a long time to get our heads wrapped around it and we're still figuring stuff out

To quote a friend of mine .... 'well it took three months to write, so i doubt anyone stands any chance of getting anywhere in one evening'

Edited by DoctorDavinci

23 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Welcome to KSP modding :wink:

Honestly though if you can't decipher what the code is doing no explaining from any of the team members will help you .... took us all a long time to get our heads wrapped around it and we're still figuring stuff out

To quote a friend of mine .... 'well it took three months to write, so i doubt anyone stands any chance of getting anywhere in one evening'

I did decipher a little bit though. I think I have an idea on how missiles receive radar data for guidance*, good enough that I made some changes I haven't managed to test yet. But I'll take your word for it and try to understand it for myself.

*Might be wrong, but essentially for radar guided missiles on every FixedUpdate it checks if the launcher actually has a lock (target exists in some list in the VRD instance) and gets the current and predicted position of a targeted vehicle that it uses for guidance (For semi-active missiles at least).

Sorry for any stupid questions or any rambling :)

I need a proximity aka rendezvous  radar.  

Are there parts in here which I could use for that? 

And if so, can you tell me what I would need to download and install ? I don't need or want the weapons in my game..

Thank you

Edited by linuxgurugamer

So, I've been busy with some more quality of life improvements.  WIth that said.  Here is a new release of BDAc:

v1.2.1.3
* FIXES
  * Removed 99_bdac_engagementenvelopes.cfg.  This legacy file was interfering with the new tuning of some of the missiles.

* ENHANCEMENTS:
  * Added Target Next / Previous hot keys and Actions.  Now you can switch targets without having to click on the Radar!
  * Numerous missile tuning tweaks to improve flight profile appearances and improve config consistency.
  * Add slider to adjust Eject Velocity of Chaff and flares in Editor.
  * Revised Jet engine sound (much better now)
  * Added configurable hot keys for VesselSwitcher Next and Previous Vessel (Defaults remain PgUp and PgDn)
  * Revised Input Settings window to use a scroller.  This reduces the size of the window by about half.

Note that I have finally added something that has been in great demand.  Configurable hot keys for targeting locks.  In addition, you can assign these functions (Next Target and Prev Target to action groups.  No more frustrating clicking on the Radar whilst in the middle of a furball...

Enjoy!

6 hours ago, kivikallo said:

Its Very NICE that there is NO DOWNLOAD LINK HERE!

It''s also nice that you failed to read the first page. As that is where you will find the links .  I would hope that  your  4th and 5th post on KSP forums  would have better content and some value to the thread.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I need a proximity aka rendezvous  radar.  

Are there parts in here which I could use for that? 

HI, what exactly do you want to do?.   The radar only detects craft that are equipped with a weapon manager, i t does not detect anything else .   
I have to admit to having no  idea what the minimum setup that just enabled  you to use the radar would be .    As a bare min I'd guess  a BDA outer folder , the plugins folder, the textures folder ,  from the parts folders, you'll need a radar of some sort,  the large surface radar may be your best bet, although a radome type would be easier to build into a spacecraft.    SO that would be
BDArmory /Plugins
BDArmory/Textures (  this contains the textures and icons used by the radar display)

BDArmory/Parts/weaponManager

BDArmory/Parts/radome125
and or
BDArmory/Parts/groundRadar
ModuleManager
And Physics range extender

I'd be  tempted to grab the targeting cam as well as the two can work together ,  Aiming camera at a radar lock etc
BDArmory/Parts/targetingCam

As i say that's just a guess,  as  there are many hard coded and internal paths, and i'm not sure how the code will behave if things are missing.

If you manage to get something to work with that lot, and need  some changes to the radar curve for better performance in space, you may do as non of the systems are not naturally set up to work in orbit ,   or any other snags, get in touch.

On the one hand, please keep in mind when asking for  assistance that modders are volunteers and do not get paid to deal with demanding people, and on the other hand, please keep in mind that we were all newbies to the forum at one time or another. 

49 minutes ago, L0ck0n said:

Hi, i'm working on some custom bda parts. Is there some way to make turret (one single part) with two deploy animations (fbx imported from Blender into Unity contains two animations)?

hi, no sorry only one cohesive deploy animation per part. But i think you should be able to , using the unity animation editor merge them into one, but it's forever since i've done it.
  I could have suggested the animation compiler that was available in the U5 parts tools, that enabled you to merge several animations into one,  but on checking I can't seem to find it in unity 2017. 
Is there any reason you can't either make the anim as one , or re animate it in unity using the animation curve editor? There's pretty much no deploy animation that you can't do in one element, either that or i'm not making them complicated enough :)

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

hi, no sorry only one cohesive deploy animation per part. But i think you should be able to , using the unity animation editor merge them into one, but it's forever since i've done it.
  I could have suggested the animation compiler that was available in the U5 parts tools, that enabled you to merge several animations into one,  but on checking I can't seem to find it in unity 2017. 
Is there any reason you can't either make the anim as one , or re animate it in unity using the animation curve editor? There's pretty much no deploy animation that you can't do in one element, either that or i'm not making them complicated enough :)

Reveal hidden contents

Thx, but i found easier solution. Importing model as fbx makes all animations separated. Importing as .blend file into unity merges animations into one. If you want multiple deploy animations just import these animated parts of model as .blend file and then add these parts to your priviously imported fbx model in objects hierarchy in Unity. Its like 30 seconds of work.

Finally made it working, here are some pics:

ng1eHO8.png

with closed hatches:

1LX4Unu.png

Launching missile (open hatches, multiple animations)

kA083ex.png

It's still WIP

Edited by L0ck0n

Reporting in for BDA 1.2.1.3 (geez what a long patch designation). Missiles seem... a lot more explode-y when being launched. As in, there are times when firing a missile destroys parts of the launching craft. Part of that, I suspect, is due to plain proximity of parts around the missile, as well as launching during hard maneuvering by the AI, but I also wasn't having these problems in the original BDA 1.2.1.

Edited by Box of Stardust

31 minutes ago, L0ck0n said:

It's still WIP

Hi, is that all one part?   RE you launchers they'll be better and work with the AI properly in guard mode, IF you scrap 3 of them,  and convert the remaining one into a proper missile turret .  There's also a question, as a one part craft,  if, you don't use stupid levels of hitpoints for something made of plywood,  If it'll stand up to combat. Get in touch if you need some hints :)

33 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

The RBS-15 that is part of the mod is currently GPS guided, is it possible to add an option to swap to RADAR guided

Hi not possible on the fly, we've tried,  things get really screwy. However the air launch version is configured with pretty decent terminal guidance,  and with a little bit of care it can be surface launched, no cluttered launch environments. That particular model is as dumb as rocks, but I'll grant they aren't all that way, so perhaps there's a vague perchance possibility that discussions could be undertaken, as to if it's due it's 2020 upgrade a bit early :wink:

41 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Missiles seem... a lot more explode-y when being launched.

Hi some pics of the launcher and the identity of the explodey missiles will be needed, as they've all be recently re tuned, and no anomalous behaviors.

edit. Missiles should not be maneuvering while in the confines of the launcher, in a normal missile turret this is set by the rail length,  when using missiles in self built or cargo bay launchers no control is in place, and we advise careful setting of dropTime, decouple direction and force, and check it works in that application,  before committing to a full build or re arm

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

11 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi some pics of the launcher and the identity of the explodey missiles will be needed, as they've all be recently re tuned, and no anomalous behaviors.

edit. Missiles should not be maneuvering while in the confines of the launcher, in a normal missile turret this is set by the rail length,  when using missiles in self built or cargo bay launchers no control is in place, and we advise careful setting of dropTime, decouple direction and force, and check it works in that application,  before committing to a full build or re arm

Just AIM-9s on fighter jet missile rails. Set to forward launch, 0 drop time, 10 decouple speed.

It doesn't always happen. I think it's just the side effect of the flight AI being generally more maneuver-happy and the Weapon Manager being more missile-happy, that missiles end up colliding with something while being launched, if the missiles are mounted in a fairly tight space. I'm using the same design as initially built in BDA 1.2 though, where it didn't have much problems until recently.

Edited by Box of Stardust

22 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, is that all one part?   RE you launchers they'll be better and work with the AI properly in guard mode, IF you scrap 3 of them,  and convert the remaining one into a proper missile turret .  There's also a question, as a one part craft,  if, you don't use stupid levels of hitpoints for something made of plywoodIf it'll stand up to combat. Get in touch if you need some hints :)

Hi not possible on the fly, we've tried,  things get really screwy. However the air launch version is configured with pretty decent terminal guidance,  and with a little bit of care it can be surface launched, no cluttered launch environments. That particular model is as dumb as rocks, but I'll grant they aren't all that way, so perhaps there's a vague perchance possibility that discussions could be undertaken, as to if it's due it's 2020 upgrade a bit early :wink:

I want to make whole ship as one part (including launchers). Only AK-230 turrets are separate parts. Its mainly for optimalization, ships with bigger amount of parts made KSP and CPU cry. Is there some way to change hitpoints and armor value in part config? I'm also using HullBreach for this part so i want to make this thing really hard to completely destroy but relatively easy to sink.

Ok, so the testing group showed me a video of some stuff in work and I noticed a tweak I could do that would really make the TargetCam easier to use. so I added mouse driven slewing and zooming to the TargetCam window.  along with some other tweaks and one fix, here is another BDAc release.

v1.2.1.4
* FIXES
  * Corrected error in Target Previous action group.  Was pointing to Target Next method instead.

* ENHANCEMENTS:
  * Added mouse slewing (pointing) in the TargetCam Window.  Now you can intuitively click and drag to position the target in the window.
  * Added mouse scrollwheel zooming in TargetCam window.  Now you can zoom in and zoom out using the mousewheel.
  * Added reactive armor part module. Modders can now take advantage of a new armor type in BDAc.
  * Added Wet Weapons Check module (ModuleWWC).  This module will pevent submerged weapons from firing (like when a ship sinks).  
    The depth is user selectable.

Here is a short video of the new TargetCam features.  Enjoy!

As you all know, the team has been furiously adding a lot of great functionality to BDA.  I thought it was time to give the UI some love.  So, if you have any other UI related ideas or annoying UI related things, Post a issue in Github, and mention it here.  Now's your chance to get it looked at.

Edited by Papa_Joe

7 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Just AIM-9s on fighter jet missile rails. Set to forward launch, 0 drop time, 10 decouple speed.

It doesn't always happen. I think it's just the side effect of the flight AI being generally more maneuver-happy and the Weapon Manager being more missile-happy, that missiles end up colliding with something while being launched, if the missiles are mounted in a fairly tight space. I'm using the same design as initially built in BDA 1.2 though, where it didn't have much problems until recently.

I have this too in 1.2.1, but it might just be bad plane design on my part because it was fixable by mounting the 9's as far as possible from my engines/wings