[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, Galane said:

Would be nice to be able to put an AI and manager on a craft to be separated later, for doing things like launching drones. Have a "Sleep until isolated" checkbox so it'll wake up and take control when the craft is separated and the AI and manager are on their craft without any others. Could also have a checkbox them to make them the main units. Easier for the user would be to auto-set all other AI and managers to sleep when one is set to main.

Such a system could even be used to (attempt to) keep disparate pieces of a plane flying and fighting after being blown apart.

That would be pretty cool and has been discussed many times in the past, but there's a hitch .....

When you detach a vessel from another vessel that was launched in this sort of setup like in your video, KSP treats the detached vessel as debris of the primary vessel (notice what the vessel is called in the vessel switcher when you detach the vessel in your video)

What this does is mess with how BDAc see's a vessel and pretty much sends the vessel into a squirrel mode and it doesn't know which way is up

Not really a solution but at least you have an idea of the 'why' of things

10 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

You have more than one pilot AI on your craft which is a big no no .... even having more than one weapon manager on the craft will bork the whole working innards of BDAc

What you are trying to do (launching a craft with a PIA and WM from another craft with a PIA and WM) does not work and is outside the scope of what BDAc is currently able to do

SOLUTION: If you launch a craft from the VAB/SPH be sure that there is no more than 1 Pilot AI onboard and no more than 1 Weapon Manager onboard

That's unfortunate. Guess I'll make flying aircraft carriers with 1 plane in them and no AI or Weapons Manager on the carrier in the future until it gets supported/fixed. Not a big deal though.

2 hours ago, Hojoz said:

That's unfortunate. Guess I'll make flying aircraft carriers with 1 plane in them and no AI or Weapons Manager on the carrier in the future until it gets supported/fixed. Not a big deal though.

You may also might have a look at the mod Hangar by allista.

This avoids the whole issue with decoupling, as the craft spawns inside the hangar as a new craft. I had some success making (non-flying) aircraft carriers with it...

4 hours ago, Natso said:

How i can detect submarine underwater??

Use the BDA or other sonar pods. Radar  by design is unable to detect submerged craft.  Other more advanced/efficient sonar are available in certain other mods (SM Marine for example)   Sonar can be hull mounted,  towed or lowered from helicopters, each type has a different performance level and resource requirement.  The only proviso is that in order to detect a submerged craft the sonar must be mounted below the searching crafts waterline, or be able to be lowered to such a position.

Do note that a submerged craft that is sitting on the sea floor will be undetectable by any available detection method,(apart from mk1 eyeball)  being both below sea level and landed at the same time.

The whole "having multiple WMs and AIs on one craft" is hit or miss... I have a B1 Lancer, that can drop a swarm of 8 attack drones, each has it's own WM and AI... so sometimes it works fine, sometimes it's "borked"

Edited by TheKurgan

4 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

The whole "having multiple WMs and AIs on one craft" is hit or miss... I have a B1 Lancer, that can drop a swarm of 8 attack drones, each has it's own WM and AI... so sometimes it works fine, sometimes it's "borked"

I've had pretty good results launching drones via the modular missile guidance. Even autopilot AI / guard mode can sort of figure it out.

They activate rather reliably, though in this specific implementation the AI does not wait for the cargo bay to fully open, resulting in some of them hitting the door on their way out.

Somewhat useful instructions here:

Spoiler
  1. Put a decoupler on the mothership.
  2. Put another decoupler on that decoupler.
  3. Put a modular missile guidance on the first decoupler.
  4. Put your parasite craft on the second decoupler.
  5. Add to action group 1:
    1. AI pilot - activate
    2. Weapon manager  - guard mode on
    3. engine - activate
    4. probe core/cockpit - control from here
    5. second decoupler - decouple.
  6. Set your modular missile guidance settings to:
    1. GPS guidance mode so it doesn't try to get a heat lock
    2. increase the max range to whenever you want the drones to launch
    3. I recommend having at least half a second of drop time.
    4. Congratulations, your mothership now thinks the parasite craft is a very fancy cruise missile.
  7. Your mothership will now launch these drones as it would launch cruise missiles - any time it as much as glimpses an enemy.
    1. Your drone will turn off its autopilot if the mothership is destroyed. No known workaround (though I might be working on a fix).

Edited by Eidahlil

12 hours ago, TheDog said:

You may also might have a look at the mod Hangar by allista.

This avoids the whole issue with decoupling, as the craft spawns inside the hangar as a new craft. I had some success making (non-flying) aircraft carriers with it...

Appreciate the suggestion. I'd have no troubles with making tinier motherships though.

Thats a whole lot of steps but I suppose I can try. \/

1 hour ago, Eidahlil said:

Hide contents
  1. Put a decoupler on the mothership.
  2. Put another decoupler on that decoupler.
  3. Put a modular missile guidance on the first decoupler.
  4. Put your parasite craft on the second decoupler.
  5. Add to action group 1:
    1. AI pilot - activate
    2. Weapon manager  - guard mode on
    3. engine - activate
    4. probe core/cockpit - control from here
    5. second decoupler - decouple.
  6. Set your modular missile guidance settings to:
    1. GPS guidance mode so it doesn't try to get a heat lock
    2. increase the max range to whenever you want the drones to launch
    3. I recommend having at least half a second of drop time.
    4. Congratulations, your mothership now thinks the parasite craft is a very fancy cruise missile.
  7. Your mothership will now launch these drones as it would launch cruise missiles - any time it as much as glimpses an enemy.
    1. Your drone will turn off its autopilot if the mothership is destroyed. No known workaround (though I might be working on a fix).

7 hours ago, sashan said:

Hey, is there a torpedo tube deck mount out there somewhere, in any mod? Using Patriot launcher for torps looks kinda weird. :)

Try Naval Artillery Systems (NAS), they have a Mk15 5 tube launcher and a Type 93? quad launcher for long lance torps, or I believe SM marine is the spanner mod with his Mk 32 triple tube launcher, which also works very well.

18 hours ago, sashan said:

Hey, is there a torpedo tube deck mount out there somewhere, in any mod? Using Patriot launcher for torps looks kinda weird. :)

SMI Missiles and  launchers have some too, link in my sig.

Edited by TheKurgan

How is timed detonation defined in the new beta? I'm trying to make a gun's rounds detonate at a variable distance like the Millenium does, but it seems the old .cfg lines for detonation timing won't work anymore.

EDIT: I think it's a bug in the beta. Even the Oerlikon can't time its detonations anymore.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

I have 1 question:

How do you minimize IR signature (other than reducing throttle/removing engines) of fighters? Does shielding engines like on a F-117/B-2 help? Or does some other obscure trick help?

4 hours ago, dundun92 said:

I have 1 question:

How do you minimize IR signature (other than reducing throttle/removing engines) of fighters? Does shielding engines like on a F-117/B-2 help? Or does some other obscure trick help?

We dont have any components for that, unfortunately.

Since heat is basically using the stock heat system, maybe using alot of radiators might help, although I dont think they have a lot of effect on an engine running on full afterburner...

Competition Mode: is there a way to "let a craft know" that it's supposed to open its cargo bay to be able to fire its internal missiles? I've ascertained that the craft can fire said missiles both manually and automatically, but only if I open its cargo bay manually beforehand.

1 hour ago, DownHereInChile said:

Competition Mode: is there a way to "let a craft know" that it's supposed to open its cargo bay to be able to fire its internal missiles? I've ascertained that the craft can fire said missiles both manually and automatically, but only if I open its cargo bay manually beforehand.

Hi. for AI use of cargo bays, they need to be configured perfectly, with all modules that a cargo bay should have and those being properly configured, simply having an animation module and calling it a cargo bay is not going to work :)

Unfortunately very few cargo bays available in mods are configured in the correct manner.  It should be noted that should you have a cargo bay that does work with the BDAI then you must ensure the decouple is lateral and at maximum force.

Modders note
The AI's control  is a bit vague when it comes to proper timing between opening doors, firing missiles and then closing doors, and i'd advise that animations are modified to work around this issue , with a long hold at open  

ok
the Vesselmover issue still persists after i installed it manually

and i have a suggestion here
what if we can surface attach parts into turrets? like E.R.As, additional ammo boxes, hatch mounted machine guns and cosmetics

3 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

what if we can surface attach parts into turrets? like E.R.As, additional ammo boxes, hatch mounted machine guns and cosmetics

You can technically , but nobody does,  because a turret is basically an animation,  and when you attach anything by any means to an animation, you are not actually  connected to the animated part, the node is attached the the parts root. What this means is that when the turret rotates, any item surface attached to it dont, they stay still, and looks bad,  ruins the effect , so nobody bothers allowing it :) . But simply changing the attach rules to allow surface attach by changing a 0 into a 1 will get you that result.

33 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

You can technically , but nobody does,  because a turret is basically an animation,  and when you attach anything by any means to an animation, you are not actually  connected to the animated part, the node is attached the the parts root. What this means is that when the turret rotates, any item surface attached to it dont, they stay still, and looks bad,  ruins the effect , so nobody bothers allowing it :) . But simply changing the attach rules to allow surface attach by changing a 0 into a 1 will get you that result.

mmmm i see

On 3/2/2018 at 5:51 AM, TheDog said:

We dont have any components for that, unfortunately.

Since heat is basically using the stock heat system, maybe using alot of radiators might help, although I dont think they have a lot of effect on an engine running on full afterburner...

Is IR signature directional? I.e., does angle to the engines matter?

I'm looking at the debug labels and I'm guessing it's going off of the hottest part, so can I assume that hiding the engines better helps reduce IR signature from certain directions?

Or does the IR system simply seek out the hottest part, being able to 'see' through other parts?

15 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi. for AI use of cargo bays, they need to be configured perfectly, with all modules that a cargo bay should have and those being properly configured, simply having an animation module and calling it a cargo bay is not going to work :)

Unfortunately very few cargo bays available in mods are configured in the correct manner.  It should be noted that should you have a cargo bay that does work with the BDAI then you must ensure the decouple is lateral and at maximum force.

Modders note
The AI's control  is a bit vague when it comes to proper timing between opening doors, firing missiles and then closing doors, and i'd advise that animations are modified to work around this issue , with a long hold at open  

Do the stock ones work? (Mk2)

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

Or does the IR system simply seek out the hottest part, being able to 'see' through other parts?

Almost like that, yes, it can see the hottest part of the vessel within the boresight limit of the missile.

So it is possible to outmaneuver ir missiles, though difficult...

3 minutes ago, TheDog said:

Almost like that, yes, it can see the hottest part of the vessel within the boresight limit of the missile.

So it is possible to outmaneuver ir missiles, though difficult...

Ah, okay, so any shrouding over/around the engines doesn't reduce ability to be IR locked at all. 

Previously thought IR locking may have had something to do with the exhaust particles.

On 3/4/2018 at 3:02 AM, Grenartia said:

Does this mean that flares are best placed close to engines?

Nope, you want them to eject away from the engine, preferably below/to the side. Not on top.