[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

I experienced a bug lately, im using KSP 1.4.4 and BDArmory.1.2.1.4_06102018

my other mods are: airplaneplus, physics range extender, interstellar fuel switch, kerbal engineer, and tweakscale.   (module manager 3.0.7)

here's the craft:  *finds no way of uploading it*

Whenever I start a dogfight competition, it would start up like normal, and when it gets to 70 m/s, instead of taking off normally, it pitches up until it loses control and doesnt stabilize until it crashes. The control surfaces are ok, the gimbal is ok, it's easy to regain control once it spins out too.

BUT

Whenever i toggle ai control (no other planes, its the only one in the whole save) it just goes fine. when I start a dogfight, and take off myself then toggle ai control after, it behaves normally... (the ai pilot settings are in default)

I dont know why, but I get a feeling its got something to do with the Mk2/Object 1.44 Non-Commercial Cockpit and/or the engines being below center of mass (i havent made sure but it looks like thats the case)

Thanks for reading all this

1 hour ago, Nightguard said:

I experienced a bug lately, im using KSP 1.4.4 and BDArmory.1.2.1.4_06102018

my other mods are: airplaneplus, physics range extender, interstellar fuel switch, kerbal engineer, and tweakscale.   (module manager 3.0.7)

here's the craft:  *finds no way of uploading it*

Whenever I start a dogfight competition, it would start up like normal, and when it gets to 70 m/s, instead of taking off normally, it pitches up until it loses control and doesnt stabilize until it crashes. The control surfaces are ok, the gimbal is ok, it's easy to regain control once it spins out too.

BUT

Whenever i toggle ai control (no other planes, its the only one in the whole save) it just goes fine. when I start a dogfight, and take off myself then toggle ai control after, it behaves normally... (the ai pilot settings are in default)

I dont know why, but I get a feeling its got something to do with the Mk2/Object 1.44 Non-Commercial Cockpit and/or the engines being below center of mass (i havent made sure but it looks like thats the case)

Thanks for reading all this

Your settings need adjusted for AI control. Takeoff speed is also too low (to the AI) so the AI pitches up hard to compensate for it. Set it for increasingly higher numbers till it takes off without the extreme pitch so that you have more lift when the AI starts to take off.

38 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Your settings need adjusted for AI control. Takeoff speed is also too low (to the AI) so the AI pitches up hard to compensate for it. Set it for increasingly higher numbers till it takes off without the extreme pitch so that you have more lift when the AI starts to take off.

ok, imma try that, but it takes off ok when its alone and not in a dogfight competition, or maybe it because it was on a runway... thanks by the way!!

6 hours ago, Nightguard said:

ok, imma try that, but it takes off ok when its alone and not in a dogfight competition, or maybe it because it was on a runway... thanks by the way!!

My suggestion is to open the KSPedia and read the BDPedia/manual .... lots of information in there regarding the operation of BDAc

Also be sure you have installed Physics Range Extender :wink:

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

My suggestion is to open the KSPedia and read the BDPedia/manual .... lots of information in there regarding the operation of BDAc

Also be sure you have installed Physics Range Extender :wink:

I have physics range extender. Also, i tried lowering the max aoa and i set the takeoff speed to 124 m/s but it still makes itself crash. heres the vid

vid 1:https://youtu.be/lTnJ0cnU1Yc

vid 2:https://youtu.be/LcqZ49BmLDM

i tried dogfight competition and just turning on ai pilot, both ends with the ai trying to make the hog crash, in one vid, I turned it off 2 times to stabilize it.

EDIT: I did a reinstall btw.

Edited by Nightguard

1 hour ago, Nightguard said:

I have physics range extender. Also, i tried lowering the max aoa and i set the takeoff speed to 124 m/s but it still makes itself crash. heres the vid

vid 1:https://youtu.be/lTnJ0cnU1Yc

vid 2:https://youtu.be/LcqZ49BmLDM

i tried dogfight competition and just turning on ai pilot, both ends with the ai trying to make the hog crash, in one vid, I turned it off 2 times to stabilize it.

EDIT: I did a reinstall btw.

So this is all related to your craft design

Check your flap authority on all your control surfaces .... the rear conrol surfaces have about a 40 degree angle against the direction your craft is travelling, no wonder your rear end is flapping in the wind

I suggest checking out the craft exchange or kerbalX to see how others build their craft since there is a right way and a wrong way

This is a design problem, not a pilot AI problem .... for the most part your craft looks sound as it has level flight when the rear control surfaces arent at a high angle of attack 

Reduce the authority on them should solve part of your issue

Another thing to bear in mind is that you should only have one axis able to be conrolled per set of control surfaces ... meaning it's either pitch, yaw or roll - don't have more than 1 unless you have reached an advanced form of aircraft design

Hope this helps :)

29 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So this is all related to your craft design

Check your flap authority on all your control surfaces .... the rear conrol surfaces have about a 40 degree angle against the direction your craft is travelling, no wonder your rear end is flapping in the wind

I suggest checking out the craft exchange or kerbalX to see how others build their craft since there is a right way and a wrong way

This is a design problem, not a pilot AI problem .... for the most part your craft looks sound as it has level flight when the rear control surfaces arent at a high angle of attack 

Reduce the authority on them should solve part of your issue

Another thing to bear in mind is that you should only have one axis able to be conrolled per set of control surfaces ... meaning it's either pitch, yaw or roll - don't have more than 1 unless you have reached an advanced form of aircraft design

Hope this helps :)

ok... imma try reducing the authority... a bit... since i want my craft to turn quick too. thanks

Heres the center of mass/thrust/lift

https://imgur.com/XoJCRmD

Edited by Nightguard

10 minutes ago, Nightguard said:

ok... imma try reducing the authority... a bit... since i want my craft to turn quick too. thanks

Heres the center of mass/thrust/lift

https://imgur.com/XoJCRmD

well the CoL could be moved forward a bit so but overall it loks like it sould fly ... the control surface authority is likely the issue you are having

You can also try playing with the gimbal limit on the engines as that will also have an effect on the rear end flapping around

11 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

well the CoL could be moved forward a bit so but overall it loks like it sould fly ... the control surface authority is likely the issue you are having

You can also try playing with the gimbal limit on the engines as that will also have an effect on the rear end flapping around

i lowered the authority of the control surfaces from 124 to 82 and it works fine if i pitch up as soon as i can after take off (without ai), but when i let the ai take off, it pitches up, turns, then seems to make itself crash, and im sure its not spinning out.

here: 

Here's a video of a dogfight featuring my AVRO Kraken (square wings). It's control authority on the Control surfaces themselves are set below 30 across the board and it can do this kind of maneuvers. Basically control the maximum the control surfaces are allowed to travel.

39 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Here's a video of a dogfight featuring my AVRO Kraken (square wings). It's control authority on the Control surfaces themselves are set below 30 across the board and it can do this kind of maneuvers. Basically control the maximum the control surfaces are allowed to travel.

alright! YEAH!  ok, so i set the pitch control surfaces to around, 60 or 52, then the roll control surfaces are 60.   I set the idle speed to 130 and the takeoff speed to 160. Its not suicidal anymore! It's still more maneuverable than the last jet, but just by a bit, which means it probably is gonna have a run for its money when it fights against other jets in the next fighter jet showdown, if there is, which i wanna join.

Hi all

So it has been 2 years since the BDA team assumed support of BahamutoD's amazing BD Armory and a lot has happened in 2 years... 

This is a little video of the git history of BD Armory. We all thought you might like to see it :wink: ........ (video courtesy of @jrodriguez)

With the awesome video above lets have some more fun.

New release of BDAc

v1.2.2.1
* FIXES
  * Added bulletinfo.explosive check to GetInfo, so explosive shells now show blast radius in the part Info (RMB) section in the editor.
  * Correct text errors in bullet names on some files.  Not all platforms support UTF8 characters. 
  * (Internal) Fix file copy error in build process.
  * Increase default detonation range boundaries and step increments.  Git Issue #527
  * Removed : Final from entried in MM config 000000_HitpointModule.cfg.  Causing race conditions with some BDA part mods

* ENHANCEMENTS:
  * Improved reload sound on M1Abrams Turret.
  * Removed BDA_SLW.cfg from MM configs.  Obsolete and no longer used.
  * Converted all .wav sounds to .ogg (reduce DL size and in game memory footprint)
  * Updated several Module info pages to reflect recent changes to ballistic mechanics
  * Added a part module Info Page refresh mechanism to support settings changes that affect part Module info blocks in the editor.
  * Added Jettison action to parts TweakUI in flight.  Git Issue #539
  * (Internal) Some code refactoring (basic cleanup, Module reorganization)
  * Deprecate the Cannon weaponType.   Going forward, Ballistic should be used instead.  Cannon remains (backwards compatibility), but will be eventually removed.
  * (Internal) Updated build process to improve multi developer build and deployments.  Simplified KSP version change dev environment build process.

As we begin more new features, I wanted to be sure we addressed some long standing issues and made the user experience better as we go.  Look forward to some exciting new ideas we are working on in the future...

Thanks for all your support, ideas, bugs, and additions to the BDA universe!

Edited by Papa_Joe

58 minutes ago, Nightguard said:

alright! YEAH!  ok, so i set the pitch control surfaces to around, 60 or 52, then the roll control surfaces are 60.   I set the idle speed to 130 and the takeoff speed to 160. Its not suicidal anymore! It's still more maneuverable than the last jet, but just by a bit, which means it probably is gonna have a run for its money when it fights against other jets in the next fighter jet showdown, if there is, which i wanna join.

Not necessarily. What kills alot of fighter jets is a overabundance of control surfaces and thrust vectoring. If you can keep your plane from stalling out that's 2/3rds the battle. If you can maintain a high velocity (over 180) and still make 14 G turns in a controlled fashion then you have a winner.

17 minutes ago, gomker said:

@GDJ @Nightguard FYI the Max G force has been upped in the AI setting allowing for up to 45g

yeah, but if the kerbal g force setting is- oh right, ai still works if kerbals pass out.

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

Not necessarily. What kills alot of fighter jets is a overabundance of control surfaces and thrust vectoring. If you can keep your plane from stalling out that's 2/3rds the battle. If you can maintain a high velocity (over 180) and still make 14 G turns in a controlled fashion then you have a winner.

thanks for the advice! I'll take that into consideration from now on!

54 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

How do I edit the amount of hit points on a part in the configs?

Hi , it will in most cases require a module manager patch, which is the low impact solution OR a HitpointTracker module to be added to the parts cfg .
A module manager patch looks like this

@PART[coolpart]:NEEDS[BDArmory]:FINAL
{
	%MODULE[HitpointTracker]
	{
		ArmorThickness = xxxx
		maxHitPoints = xxxx
		ExplodeMode = Never
	}	

}

and an in part module looks like this

MODULE[HitpointTracker]
	{
		ArmorThickness = yyyy
		maxHitPoints = zzzz
		ExplodeMode = Never
	}	

9 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi , it will in most cases require a module manager patch, which is the low impact solution OR a HitpointTracker module to be added to the parts cfg .
A module manager patch looks like this

@PART[coolpart]:NEEDS[BDArmory]:FINAL
{
	%MODULE[HitpointTracker]
	{
		ArmorThickness = xxxx
		maxHitPoints = xxxx
		ExplodeMode = Never
	}	

}

and an in part module looks like this

MODULE[HitpointTracker]
	{
		ArmorThickness = yyyy
		maxHitPoints = zzzz
		ExplodeMode = Never
	}	

where do I find this in a nod BD or B9 part? (in my case, it is Alcentar's SpaceX BFR, it has too few hit points for its size. It has several times less hit points than the small convert-o-tron)

Edited by eskimo22

Got a question on AI behavior.

In a dogfight, how does the AI aim fixed guns? Does it try to specifically center an aim point / total averaged aim point of all guns on a craft, or does it just try to point the plane's aim itself regardless of where the aim point of the fixed guns?

I'm essentially trying to wonder if an off-center, over-shoulder gun location like real jets have a negative effect on actual combat ability by messing with the AI's ability to fly properly.

Edited by Box of Stardust

6 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Got a question on AI behavior.

In a dogfight, how does the AI aim fixed guns? Does it try to specifically center an aim point / total averaged aim point of all guns on a craft, or does it just try to point the plane directly at the target?

I'm essentially trying to wonder if an off-center, over-shoulder gun location like real jets have a negative effect on actual combat ability by messing with the AI's ability to fly properly.

It aims at the predicted point of the craft. Basically, to avoid anti aircraft fire, dont fly straight.

The flying AI will make small turns to point the guns at the target.

Edited by Xd the great